PDA

View Full Version : i had a thought today

cuznjohn
02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
i pulled one of my treads because it was going south fast with some of the comments. so i was thinking, instead of a dislike or me too option, we should have a delete post option. as most of you know most of the treads started are pretty interesting about our bikes and recalls and now lately with the fix coming out by BRP for the heat issue. a lot of these post get side tracked with some other ideas that could shut down someones tread or have it deleted.

so if the person that started the tread had the option to delete a single post and not the whole tread like i did today, i think this would be a good idea. now being i don't hold much weight on here other than my body, i think a close friend of lamont should get in touch with him and run the idea past him and see what he thinks

Bob Denman
02-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Each person who posts; has the option of editing that post (Including deleting it...)
I would hope to see folks editing themselves, and not putting the Starter of a Thread in this position...

I also think that I divergence of opinions is very useful... ( UP to the point where they become combative...)

ARtraveler
02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
A big Me Too with what Bob said. :yes:

The person who starts the thread has the option to delete it if it starts going South or gets combative. That should be sufficient for the thread starter.

I sure would not want others to have control to delete a thread I started (except for the boss of course). He is the final say on all of this.

I opened my mouth and made "political" comments on the thread that you are speaking about. A short time later, I recognized the "error of my ways" and deleted my posts to the thread. I did not stick around beyond that, and today note that you deleted the whole shebang. I can guess where it all went though.

Political or close to political brings out the "beast" (not best--:roflblack:) in a lot of us. Some take it more personal than others.

cuznjohn
02-25-2015, 02:14 PM
NO what i am trying to say is, that the original poster would be able to delete a single post that he or she doesn't like instead of removing the whole post like i did

ARtraveler
02-25-2015, 02:33 PM
NO what i am trying to say is, that the original poster would be able to delete a single post that he or she doesn't like instead of removing the whole post like i did

Your right! I missed that part about OP being able to delete an unliked post.

I do not think that is good either. IMO--of course. :roflblack::roflblack:

If I start a thread, I know I am going to be open to comments both favorable and not favorable. If it goes South or off tangent, I also know this can happen and have learned to accept it. Sometimes, the tangents are better than the original threads.

I don't believe I have ever killed a thread that I started. :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
02-25-2015, 02:38 PM
John:

When i read the title, it scared me. :roflblack::roflblack:

And you can't delete this

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
02-25-2015, 02:48 PM
my thoughts scare the :cus: out of me also

mxz600
02-25-2015, 03:34 PM
I had a thought once. I think it was "back in the summer of '69".

For the record, I have deleted a couple of my threads that started to go bad.

bruiser
02-25-2015, 03:46 PM
I've deleted a few of mine too on my own and at the request of others. I know where John is coming from. IMHO just deleting the original post would create more issues.

coz
02-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Knuckleheads have been hijacking and mis directing threads for as long as I've been here. I suppose it's just the nature of the beast. I think we are all guilty of knuckleheadedness on occasion.:roflblack:

Chupaca
02-25-2015, 06:51 PM
This is a go/no go type exchange of ideas. Picking out posts on a thread would lead to more personal ill feelings and it is best to stop the side tracking early on. Jmo..:thumbup:

kep-up
02-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Deleting one's own posts I can go along with. But, the OP deleting someone else's post because he doesn't like it, I can't agree to. Delete your own if you want to, but not someone else's.

One of the things i like about this forum is the free exchange of a wide range of ideas. And not all of the ideas are Spyder specific. (Although the whining is getting a bit tiresome.) Frankly, some of us just need to grow some skin!

As I stated in another posting, If I don't like it, I don't have to read it.

SpyderAnn01
02-25-2015, 07:14 PM
John, doesn't sound like this was a good idea. LIke the others have said you can always delete your own post or if you started a thread you can delete it entirely. While you can delete your post within a thread, if it has already been quoted by someone elsewhere in the thread, that quote can not be deleted.

Dan_Ashley
02-26-2015, 12:01 AM
The big question is how many posts does it take for a thread to get hijacked? (Oops. I just did it!)

Bob Denman
02-26-2015, 08:48 AM
If the originator of a thread were granted the capability of deleting posts that they didn't like... :shocked:
It is possible that we'd all only see threads in which everybody agreed with the O.P. 100%... :yikes:

cuznjohn
02-26-2015, 10:20 AM
it was just a thought

Bob Denman
02-26-2015, 10:25 AM
It was certainly worth discussing! :thumbup: