PDA

View Full Version : Heat Issues??

rworell
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Do the 2014 ST's have any Heat issues like the 2013"s?

Thanks
Rich

Chupaca
02-24-2015, 11:01 AM
the 2013's (and only some of them) had the heat issues you are constantly reading about. Brp has come up with some patches and working on other modifications but you have nothing to worry about on the 14's....:thumbup:

jcthorne
02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Sorry to say, the OP was referring to Spyder ST not RT.

The 2014 ST is nearly identical to the 13 except for 4 body panels that were replaced. The 2013s have already been updated for those and the ECM updates. At this point, 2013 thru 2015 Spyder ST are functionally identical.

AppleSpyder
02-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Do the 2014 ST's have any Heat issues like the 2013"s?

Thanks
Rich

No heat issues with the 2014 ST. :clap:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
02-25-2015, 08:08 AM
it's 21 degrees outside, heat issue is the last thing to worry about

Justacruisin
02-25-2015, 10:00 AM
My 2 week old 2014 ST was picked up by the dealer last week. Limp Home mode and running hot kept showing up. Replacing the Fan motor this week.

Hope that corrects the problem.

SpyderLady
03-15-2015, 07:18 PM
I have a new 2014 ST and the heat on the right side is horrible. I had an Fan Can on my 09 RS but have been told it won't work on the ST. Does anyone have any suggestions for the heat coming out of the right side. I have highway pegs that are a bit longer than standard and even in boots, socks and jeans I can't stand the heat.

Help/Suggestions will be appreciated.

ZRCAT600
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
I have a 2013 and used to have a lot of heat right in front of the seat and on the sides.
Since getting all the updates and the new panels. I have no heat issues anymore.
I was out for about 50 miles today. (In Minnesota) We don't get to do that much in March here!!

jcthorne
03-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I have a new 2014 ST and the heat on the right side is horrible. I had an Fan Can on my 09 RS but have been told it won't work on the ST. Does anyone have any suggestions for the heat coming out of the right side. I have highway pegs that are a bit longer than standard and even in boots, socks and jeans I can't stand the heat.

I can symtethise but your two options are to trade it in for an RT or F3 or mod the bike to direct the heat away from your foot/leg. While mine is an RT some of this is similar. We blocked the right side radiator discharge vents entirely, removed the lower underbody covers and revised the duct behind the radiator to direct the heat down at the road rather than out the side. For us, it solved the hot foot problem entirely.

dyrwolf
03-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Sorry to say, the OP was referring to Spyder ST not RT.

The 2014 ST is nearly identical to the 13 except for 4 body panels that were replaced. The 2013s have already been updated for those and the ECM updates. At this point, 2013 thru 2015 Spyder ST are functionally identical.

Mine is not updated, and BRP is having me take it to dealer for analysis.

SpyderLady
03-18-2015, 05:24 PM
I can symtethise but your two options are to trade it in for an RT or F3 or mod the bike to direct the heat away from your foot/leg. While mine is an RT some of this is similar. We blocked the right side radiator discharge vents entirely, removed the lower underbody covers and revised the duct behind the radiator to direct the heat down at the road rather than out the side. For us, it solved the hot foot problem entirely.

JT, Thanks but I can't trade it in I just bought it. Can you pm me with a little more detail on blocking the right side radiator discharge vents, removing the lower underbody covers and what you did to revise the duct behind the radiator. Just need a little guidance here.

Thanks

YPILOT
03-18-2015, 05:40 PM
SpyderPops air management system was developed for the RS which is similar to the ST. You should check out His site for possible solutions for the ST.

GearHd
04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
I have a 2013 and used to have a lot of heat right in front of the seat and on the sides.
Since getting all the updates and the new panels. I have no heat issues anymore.
I was out for about 50 miles today. (In Minnesota) We don't get to do that much in March here!!
I see references to updates and new panels, are those something BRP covers or is the owner responsible for the cost of those things?

900Dave
04-03-2015, 08:06 PM
I see references to updates and new panels, are those something BRP covers or is the owner responsible for the cost of those things?

Some here had to buy the panels at first. BRP paid for my panels and I think most everyone is now getting them under warranty. The updates are all covered under warranty.

capt.jim
04-04-2015, 12:28 AM

My highway pegs were almost in front of the vent on my ST and I could barely keep my foot there, at highway speeds the heat just poured out of there.
My GS has the same pegs and no heat issues on the right foot.
After wondering what the difference could be I removed both right panels and discovered they had blocked off the space between the outside of the of the radiator and side panel with plastic on the ST.
All the air was coming through the radiator where on the GS the ambient air was coming in the right front side vents and gap and kind of mixing and dissipating the hot air.
I used a dremel and cut out the plastic piece to let air come in like on the GS.
Then it was just as cool as the GS and never noticed any increase in engine temps at all.
Wish I had taken pics, but if you look through the 2 front vents on both models you can see the GS is open and the ST is blocked off.

SpyderLady
04-06-2015, 06:08 PM
I have ordered the Fan Cam from ISCI. CaptJim, wish I had seen the information about the difference in the panels on the 14 ST and opening it up. Not an issue, tho because I have used the Fan Cam before and it is good.

Thank you all again for the assistance.

SpyderRx
04-06-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm
I have ordered the Fan Cam from ISCI. CaptJim, wish I had seen the information about the difference in the panels on the 14 ST and opening it up. Not an issue, tho because I have used the Fan Cam before and it is good.

Thank you all again for the assistance.
Do they make a fan can for the ST?

bayoumanPIBE
01-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Did anyone come up with a good method for the heat issue? SpyderPops air deflection redirect and the other company (whoever) has the fan can does not fit on the 2014 ST-S.

I know I can remove the bottom pan, but I'm not sure about blocking off the out-take for the radiator fan/heat. That seems like it would heat up the entire underneath part more than it should even with the bottom pan off.

Thanks for all suggestions!

FYI...I now have the highway pegs...Love them...hate the heat.