PDA

View Full Version : 2011 RT limited Backing Up

wengerda
02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Wow, I really appreciate everyone responding my previous questions.

last question until the next question, lol

When I put my bike on Reverse and back up, the bike sounds like I am dragging the brakes--No I am not pushing the brakes lol. That is the only time the "brake sounds" when backing up and not going forward? ideas?

Thanks

Bob Denman
02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately; it just seems to be the Nature of The Beast...
A lot of Spyders will exhibit some brake squeal while backing up... and then NOT do it under normal braking. :opps:

Highwayman2013
02-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Our 2012 squeaks.

wengerda
02-23-2015, 12:14 PM
That means, the some brake squeal while backing up... is "normal" for our bikes, and not an issue with the bike. I have only 5100 miles on the bike.

SpyderAnn01
02-23-2015, 12:16 PM
The 2 pins that hold the brake pads are dirty. You can use a toothbrush with brake cleaner and scrub them off.

wengerda
02-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I will try the cleaning of the pins, thank you so much for the information.

ARtraveler
02-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Also in the camp about dirty parts. I get the noise occasionally on all the :ani29:'s I have owned. It usually is noticable after riding in the rain or getting dirt of mud on the wheels.

Chupaca
02-23-2015, 04:41 PM
it's in the brakes for sure, sometimes dust or dirty pins cleaning helps but many just live with it. If you do apply the brakes when backing up some helps the pads adjust to the change in rotation...:thumbup:

Bob Ledford
02-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Your brake noise is az normal mechanical function.

Hows why! The crotons are fixed in position they don't move except to go roundie round. The brake calipers float on anchor pins and move. Around. When you are going forward the change position slightly.. Same thing happens when you backup.. My 2011 sounds like to is falling apart the first time I stop in the new direction when brakes are applied. Backing out the driveway brakes clunk, go to the first stop sign, clunk again.

The very same sequence of events happens on your car or truck. Except they are pounds heavier.

wengerda
02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Your brake noise is az normal mechanical function.

Hows why! The crotons are fixed in position they don't move except to go roundie round. The brake calipers float on anchor pins and move. Around. When you are going forward the change position slightly.. Same thing happens when you backup.. My 2011 sounds like to is falling apart the first time I stop in the new direction when brakes are applied. Backing out the driveway brakes clunk, go to the first stop sign, clunk again.

The very same sequence of events happens on your car or truck. Except they are pounds heavier.

Got it, I think my 2011 RT sounds exactly like yours. Then I dont have to worry about telling the dealers this these kind of issues.

Thanks, Dan

Bob Ledford
02-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Got it, I think my 2011 RT sounds exactly like yours. Then I dont have to worry about telling the dealers this these kind of issues.

Thanks, Dan

You're welcome Dan. This what the SL forums is all about exchanging useful information in a style that answers all the questions that someone else already researched or did.

Have you experienced any heating problems with your RT?

wengerda
03-01-2015, 05:56 PM
You're welcome Dan. This what the SL forums is all about exchanging useful information in a style that answers all the questions that someone else already researched or did.

Have you experienced any heating problems with your RT?
Not sure about the heating problems, I purchased the bike in October and only rode a few days in winter, less than 55 degrees and the little heat did not bother me. The previous owner installed some aftermarket upgrades to deal with the heating issues. I will let you know in a few weeks.