PDA

View Full Version : All cracked up

Utah Geezer
02-22-2015, 06:31 PM
I purchased a 2014 RTL a couple months ago and have started adding FARKLES to it while waiting for the weather in other areas to get nice enough for some long rides. Had a 2011 RTL before this one and had a luggage rack on the truck lid that I loved. Last weekend I put a luggage rack on my new 2014 and today I noticed the trunk lid had cracks in it where I drilled the holes for the support bolts. Never had this problem with the 2011 and it had 13,000 miles on it with the luggage rack attached. This one has 50 miles with the luggage rack attached. Did I tighten it down too much causing the cracks or should I look at some other problem during my installation. I was wondering it using some rubber grommets in the holes before installing the bolts would help. Really bummed out. Now I have to go get some knew trunk Tupperware and try again. Just don't want to make the same mistake twice.

JayBros
02-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Ouch! I would vote over tightening the bolts/nuts was the cause. I also agree that some type of rubber washer or grommet would be advisable. I've experienced cracked motorcycle fenders and other parts because of too many turns on a wrench.

ursamajor35126
02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Rubber / flexible washers to absorb the vibrations, LARGE fender washers to distribute the load, don't tighten too much, Blue thread locker to keep from working loose.

Kwalsh
02-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I would definitely use rubber grommets on your new one and a little phrase we use around here "tight is tight and to tight is broken"

cptjam
02-22-2015, 08:18 PM
How big are the cracks? If not too big, reinforce the backside with PTFE, use chrome fender washers, and see how that holds. Sounds like too tight on soft plastic. If it works, cracks don't get bigger, then get new Tupperware. No sense in breaking two.........😁

Utah Geezer
02-22-2015, 09:48 PM
The luggage rack came from Show Chrome and had rubber washers for each side which were installed when I attached it. Really surprised me when I saw the cracks. I just think it had to be over tightening. I did also use the blue Loctite on the bolts. The cracks are long enough that the Tupperware will have to be replaced.

chuck gross
02-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Make sure the holes are big enough so the through bolts don't touch the sides of the holes and a Forstner drill bit or a brad point cuts a nice clean hole and puts less stress on the plastic compared to a standard bit for drilling steel.

Chupaca
02-22-2015, 09:56 PM
with some of the racks you can over do the tightening and especially without large (fender type) washers. There are smaller washers for the top side so they look better but go big on the back. Then snug + 1/4 turn...:thumbup:

Tom in NM
02-22-2015, 11:31 PM
. . . what the cracks look like, but I would still go the reinforcement recommendations. If a couple of flat bars/panels could be put on the lid, over the holes and drilled to mount the rack, it would both add support, cover the cracks, and look like a part of the rack.

Tom