PDA

View Full Version : People wanting to borrow the Spyder. What do you say

vrider
02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Thoughts on letting someone else ride your Spyder. Family hinted the want to borrow my Spyder and I am thinking...... No way never

Have you been asked by family and how did you respond

vided
02-22-2015, 11:58 AM
.................... OK, THE ANSWER IS " NO"

Dragonrider
02-22-2015, 11:59 AM
My son has been riding for 20 years, and I have let him take his wife for a ride (short) twice. Someday he'll have one. I have let both of my closest friends test ride my RT (one has his own now).

My daughter and her husband know better than to ask.

Cruzr Joe
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Both my sons (mid 30s and early 40s) have ridden my Spyder, my grandson (15) asked me to leave it to him in my will :yikes:

Cruzr Joe

SpyderAnn01
02-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Both my sons (mid 30s and early 40s) have ridden my Spyder, my grandson (15) asked me to leave it to him in my will :yikes:

Cruzr Joe

Did you tell him that he would have to pry it from your cold dead hands?

Cruzr Joe
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Did you tell him that he would have to pry it from your cold dead hands?

You would have to know my Grandson to understand that he was serious and did not understand why i was laughing.

Cruzr Joe

lwrydr
02-22-2015, 12:17 PM
"NO"

mustangbob
02-22-2015, 12:22 PM
if you leave me a $30,000 cash deposit, they quit asking after that.

billybovine
02-22-2015, 12:24 PM
​NO

oldgoat
02-22-2015, 12:29 PM
My brother is coming over from the UK this summer. He is 70 & I'm 75. We are going to PA for a week, me on my Spyder & him on a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750cc V twin I bought for him to ride.

I'm sure he would appreciate a chance to ride the Spyder but as it is so different from a motorcycle I will most likely say NO. Unless it is early in the morning in a deserted mall parking lot.

Kwalsh
02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
I let my best friends wife try mine around the neighborhood, she has been riding forever and is looking for a bike that fits her , she is very small and liked it but there are very few I would let "borrow" my ride

garb55
02-22-2015, 12:41 PM
In 2007 I got a Spyder GS
Since no one had seen them before I let my friends and family take short rides
On new years eve 2008 I let my friends ride it around the block
Well to make this a short story one of my friends hit a curb straight on at 55mph and the nose of the Spyder hit flipped the bike head over:yikes:
and he went flying:yikes:
he had a little road rash and my helmet [always required to ride my bike] was toast. but he was OK :yes:
Bike was Totaled :gaah:
Well I learned my lesson. No one rides my :spyder2:
The bike I can replace but I still remember the feeling I had seeing him fly about 20 feet threw the air [thought he was dead] thank god he was ok
So my answer is #@!* NO
Don

GunDoctor
02-22-2015, 01:15 PM
My brother took out my Kawasaki 300 for the day because he had no car. Brought it back with a golfball size dent on the tank....said that dent was already there!! So the answer is a clear...Not on my watch.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

cuznjohn
02-22-2015, 01:32 PM
my close friends, yes. others no

Orange Spyder Man
02-22-2015, 01:39 PM
a friend of mine asked if i would mind him taking my Spyder for a ride ? I asked him... do you mind if I sleep with your wife ? he did not ride my spyder :lecturef_smilie:
osm

daveinva
02-22-2015, 01:57 PM
GF has borrowed it for PLP, but never ridden it out of my sight. Brother borrowed it once and rode it for about an hour, but he's been on bikes for 35+ years, so I didn't feel too scared. Heck, it's insured. :p

HIspyder
02-22-2015, 02:09 PM
That would be a resounding NO!

PaSpyderRyder
02-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Just tell them a little white lie, Sorry, but my insurance will not cover the bike if someone else is riding it...... In my case that would be the truth, Rider insurance will not cover the bike if the person operating it is not on the policy.

Bob

Dudley
02-22-2015, 02:30 PM
A simple "NO". And the old response "I thought you were my friend!" And the answer "Were is correct if you ask me again!" IMO, friends don't ask to borrow your car, truck or motor cycle (Spyder). I will take a friend somewhere reasonable and with a real need, once, but I will not be a taxi. And we will not lend our transportation to anyone, not even our children.

pitzerwm
02-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Just tell them a little white lie, Sorry, but my insurance will not cover the bike if someone else is riding it...... In my case that would be the truth, Rider insurance will not cover the bike if the person operating it is not on the policy.

Bob

AND you need to add that "your insurance doesn't cover bikes".

I like the one "Leave a $30K deposit".

SPYD3R
02-22-2015, 02:36 PM
HELL NO......! ! ! nojoke

NOT MY RS or MY F3-S.....

STELLING MAN
02-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I have let a couple close friends take a short ride on mine but they both had years of experience on bikes. I'm glad two of my friends let me try out their rt's or I might not own one today, so It all depends on the circumstance..

kngfsh27
02-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Always remember when they have an accident, no one will think that they asked to ride it. Only that you let them ride it. There could go your retirement savings along with other things. My answer is, "Pound sand." That is unless they have a whole bunch of $100 bills on them. Then I will just sign it over to them.

Tom in NM
02-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Thoughts on letting someone else ride your Spyder. Family hinted the want to borrow my Spyder and I am thinking...... No way never

If you are the kind of person who does not want anyone even sitting on your Spyder, "No" is the answer. No good will come of letting someone do something that you do not want to happen.

Personally, I enjoy seeing people enjoying my Spyder. I invite people to sit on it. I show them how to get on it and how to get off it. ( with warnings about hot mufflers, etc. ) I start the engine, show them the shift paddle, where the brake is, etc. If they ask if they can take it for a spin, I generally say, "No".

Here are some ways of saying "No":
I can't - my insurance does not cover other riders.
Hey, a Spyder is pretty easy to ride, but it is really different - you really need to be walked through it before you take one out - your best bet is to go to the dealership and do a demo ride there - they are all set up for that kind of thing.

Nobody has ever asked me if they could borrow my Spyder. In general, that is a pretty rude request. That ranks up there with asking to borrow your car, boat, house or credit card. Just by asking, they have indicated a lack of respect ( for you ) and responsibility ( on their part ). But if it is "just a hint", I would ignore or overlook it. That will give you all the space required to treat each other with respect.

I would even be leery of letting other Spyder riders take out my bike. You see it in videos and in person if you have attended any F3 demo day rides - - that "Ride It Like You Stoled It!" attitude - which to me says "Do what you want, it not mine."

So, in general, if you are not up for the emotional wear and tear, the liability, the time, damage or loss, and the realization that the person hinting/asking is really a total a*****e, just nicely say no.

Tom

vided
02-22-2015, 03:03 PM
a friend of mine asked if i would mind him taking my Spyder for a ride ? I asked him... do you mind if I sleep with your wife ? he did not ride my spyder :lecturef_smilie:
osm

And what was his answer?

ThreeWheels
02-22-2015, 03:09 PM
My father asked, I told him yes.
My brother....yes.
Everyone else would get a no.

Is this a trick question ?

Cruzr Joe
02-22-2015, 03:12 PM
My father asked, I told him yes.
My brother....yes.
Everyone else would get a no.

Is this a trick question ?

Yes, vrider is trying to see who he can borrow a Spyder from while his is at the car wash. :joke:

Cruzr Joe

PrairieSpyder
02-22-2015, 03:47 PM
:yikes:NO!!

Cruzr Joe
02-22-2015, 03:49 PM
:yikes:NO!!

Patti:

Could you be a little clearer ? :roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Well...
The answer isn't always so clear... :shocked:
I have friends that I have let ride it; I know and I trust their abilities.
They have earned my trust, and I'd let them take it anytime that they wanted.
There are also other friends that I wouldn't even let sit upon it...
It depends on the person, and how much trust you have! :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102575&stc=1

ARtraveler
02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Another hard one to answer.

:ani29:: Taking into account that most of us had to experience a 500 - 1000 mile learning curve before we felt comfortable riding the :spyder2:, including those who have a million miles of two wheel experience. My short answer would be no. I am all for taking someone for a ride on the :ani29: so that they can experience it.

Not so comfortable with letting others do it on their own.

:ani29:: I have let two people drive my :spyder2:. Akspyderlady, who did very well and paid strict attention to direction. Another person, not so good. She almost crashed it and ran into me on the other :ani29:.
Based on statistics (:roflblack::roflblack:), that's a 50% fail rate. :yikes::yikes:

:ani29:: Then you have the what if? stuff. If it does get damaged, who is going to be held liable and pay.

Bottom line, I am going to do what is comfortable for me, you are on your own. :yes:

Orange Spyder Man
02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
And what was his answer?

if looks could kill.. I would be dead.. does that answer your question ?

osm

Dan McNally
02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
My insurance company asked me, outright, when I got the policy, if anyone else would ride it. I said no, and they said I could save money by being the only authorized rider . . . so in my case, saying that my insurance won't cover someone else is true . . .

vrider
02-22-2015, 06:28 PM
A lot of great answers and some scary stories. I just read my motorcycle insurance policy and it does state that I am the sole rider. However in a state amendment any blood related person living in my house is also covered. No problem I can say NO my insurance does not cover you. No they are not moving in.

I will post likes and so forth when I get back to my PC as I can't figure out how to do that with tap stalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vrider
02-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Speaking of insurance anyone have any issues with Geico for any claims?

lavaspyder
02-22-2015, 06:56 PM
I have seen my friends drive cars. So, NO, has been the response!

ARtraveler
02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Speaking of insurance anyone have any issues with Geico for any claims?

About 5 years back I was involved in an accident. The other driver had Geico. They refused to pay the $2,000 plus damages to my car claiming that the other driver was not at fault. The police report determined she was at fault, doing a 360 and smashing into me. I had to drive my vehicle up a snow bank to avoid even worse damage.

My insurance company ended up paying for my repairs, but did not charge me any extra for it. The final solution was between the two insurance companies.

one2doo
02-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Only the people I trust

MouthPiece
02-22-2015, 07:18 PM
My son has ridden my spyder and I have a dear friend who lives in Henry, Virginia, that has ridden my spyder. My three grandsons will soon be riding my spyder.

Chris

Pennyrick
02-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Sorry. My insurance only covers me as the driver. I think I can get an additional condition on the policy to add you ... will you pay the upcharge? All I need is your credit card number and a copy of your motorcycle driver's license.

900Dave
02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
My insurance company asked me, outright, when I got the policy, if anyone else would ride it. I said no, and they said I could save money by being the only authorized rider . . . so in my case, saying that my insurance won't cover someone else is true . . .

Same here! Not that it matters, I would not let anyone else ride it anyway.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I have let a couple of friends ride mine. They had previously offered me an opportunity to ride their bikes, and when I got my Spyder, I returned the favor. Where I work, there is a huge parking lot, and it is mostly empty on Night Shift, which is what I work. They didn't ask to take it out on the road, and I didn't offer. They were in my sight the entire time. I guess I have more responsible friends than some of you out there. I guess I let good friends and family ride, and just aquaintances don't.

bayoumanPIBE
02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Same thing I tell the government about my taking my guns...H#LL NO. :doorag:

Deanna777
02-22-2015, 08:02 PM
My response would be NO, NO, NO, when I bought insurance for my spyder, my insurance company ( Geico) asked me I was the only license driver. I have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac Deanna

gerard
02-22-2015, 08:13 PM
.................... OK, THE ANSWER IS " NO"

Absolutely NO

DLewis
02-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Well...
The answer isn't always so clear... :shocked:
I have friends that I have let ride it; I know and I trust their abilities.
They have earned my trust, and I'd let them take it anytime that they wanted.
There are also other friends that I wouldn't even let sit upon it...
It depends on the person, and how much trust you have! :thumbup:

:agree: I have a friend that HAS borrowed my truck, boat, and tools. Same way with him to me. Offered a "test" ride around the block, but he declined. Others........... a resounding H#** to the NO!!!

Cruising RT
02-22-2015, 08:32 PM
After purchasing my RT, my husband, a very experienced HD rider, wanted to test drive. Been married close to 30 years now but had a tough time saying yes. Went with him for test drive and ya'll know how those Harley folks are. He attempted to compare to Harley and finally said he would stick to his ride. Other than that, NO WAY JOSE!!!

revjvegas
02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I'll let them ride 'bitch', but that's it.

thrinsag
02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
This is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't even let my wife ride my Spyder except as a passenger. She will not let me ride her trike esxcept as a passenger. The liability issues here is so great here that the question is s simple, no.

thrinsag
02-22-2015, 08:52 PM
This is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't even let my wife ride my Spyder except as a passenger. She will not let me ride her trike esxcept as a passenger. The liability issues here is so great here that the question is a simple, no. Now would I ever try to borrow someone's ride.

Dragonfly
02-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Bob
I'll second that. Rider Insurance told me that only people living in my household are insured providing they are licensed.

Chupaca
02-22-2015, 09:40 PM
to start out..buy your own..!! :roflblack: I did let my brother in law ryde with his wife and he did something thats scared him and he has never asked again..he got wild and the nanny autocorrected I am thinking. No one else has ever asked...so back to buy your own..!!

jimnsusie
02-22-2015, 09:45 PM
​NO

That would be my definite answer as well.

CentralCoastCA
02-22-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm open to loaning, but it depends on who asks.

When I bought my first Spyder, I didn't know how to ride it so hubby brought it home 300 miles. Then I let me 3 grown sons and my nephew ride (all 2 wheelers).

In 2014, I was fortunate that SpyderAnn let me ride her brand new RT while they were aligning my GS. Because of that wonderful ride, I bought a new RT several weeks later.

Other than one other close family friend, no one else has driven my Spyders

fyrertuck
02-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Hell NO I will let you test drive with me on back only.

flaggerphil
02-22-2015, 10:35 PM
I've been riding since around 1968 and I've never let anyone who is not a relative ride any of my bikes. My late ex-wife once let a friend ride my bike while I was deployed and that was just another incident that added to the divorce.

Of the relatives who I've let ride: One was my late younger brother who actually had been riding longer than I had. He also let me ride his bikes. My youngest sister also rides these days (she's in her early 50s), has an endorsement (2 wheels), and I've let her ride my Spyder. She actually bought one of my last 2 wheelers. My wife also has an endorsement (3 wheels) and, since she took her training and tests on the Spyder, can ride it whenever she wants to (which is very, very infrequently...she prefers to ride on the back).

No one else may ride it. Not family nor friends. No one. Period.

retread
02-23-2015, 08:09 AM
What do I say? Is that before or after I stop laughing?

john

blacklightning
02-23-2015, 09:04 AM
I have ridden a friends spyder for about 30 miles on a trip that we took together (he rode my M109). As a result, I purchased my own 4 months later. Would I ask him to borrow it, NO! I have also allowed a friend to ride my spyder, as I followed them on their bike. It was mainly as a way to let him feel some of the joy that I get from the spyder. Would I let someone borrow my spyder while I am not in their presence, NO! If they need a ride, I will give them one in my car, jeep, or truck, but not on the spyder.

Rockwall
02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
My Spyder is a manual so no one in my family would even be able to get the thing rolling.:doorag:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
02-23-2015, 02:17 PM
i tell them maybe if you can figure out how to start it first, i have 2 friends of mine that have spent 20
minutes trying they couldn't do it

Dgjason
02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
I have 3 sons who each have over 25 years of motorcycle experience. I let each one take a short ride. Don't think they will be trading in their 2 wheels, in the near future, but they were all surprised with the power and handling. Had a friend ask, who was a new rider, and I politely said no.

Dennis

flamingobabe
02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
never

latony007
02-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Borrow as in like i am not present?? HELL NO.
My brother is the only person i would let do that and he has a 2012 RT. I have let my nephew who is trying to learn to ride try it in the parking lot with me on it but as for just "can i borrow it for a week" that would be a big no!

Deanna777
02-23-2015, 07:42 PM
My insurance company asked me, outright, when I got the policy, if anyone else would ride it. I said no, and they said I could save money by being the only authorized rider . . . so in my case, saying that my insurance won't cover someone else is true . . .My insurance company asked me the same thing I have Geico. Also, on my insurance policy says " Additional Drivers" NONE and Named Insured " Me" Deanna

Colin
02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
To a select few. We had friends come to New Zealand from Australia to go to our First NZ SpyderFest. They both ride a Spyder in Aust. I had just bought my partner her 2011RSS. It was only 3 days old when our friends came riding with us, we did 1500kms in 5 days, I also made sure they were named on the Insurance policy.
I have let a few fellow Spyder riders use my Spyder, but I have offered, they have not asked.
I have a friend that works for BRP NZ and travels to Australia a lot. They were having Club BRP in NZ and my friend asked if he could borrow a Spyder as the lady that runs the office in Aust loves the Spyder, but cannot ride them in Aust without a Motorcycle Licence, but in NZ you only need a car licence. So they picked up both Spyders and off they went for a few hours.
The look on her face when she got back was priceless, and apparently when she got back to Aust 2 days later she was still smiling and talking about it.

3 Wheel Rider
02-24-2015, 12:51 AM
Most people would get a resounding "$*% No" if they asked me that question. They would have to be extremely close, trustworthy and financially secure to get the keys from my willing hands. So far, there are only two other people -- besides myself -- whom have ridden my Sypder; the first was my Dad. He came to visit me a couple of months ago and as soon as he pulled in the driveway, I tossed him the keys and invited him to take it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Even though the bike only had 230 miles on it at the time, I wasn't too worried. He used to ride a Goldwing Trike and in 2010 my Dad, my son and I rode US129 (a.k.a. "The Tail of the Dragon") together. That was a beautiful and memorable ride; 318 curves in 11 miles. My better half is the other person whom has ridden my Spyder. I was cutting the grass the other day and asked her to move it so I didn't clippings all over it. I taught her how to start it and she moved it about 20 feet. On a few occasions prior to this, she asked me to teach her how to ride it and has expressed an interest in taking the trike course. As you could imagine, her face LIT UP when I asked her to move it :dg1:. Other than my Dad and my better half, I would have to say that I would probably only trust one or two of my friends and that is only because they too are MSF RiderCoaches.

jgwoods
02-24-2015, 04:19 PM
I have one friend I would let ride my RT. We've ridden together since '68 and he is trustworthy. Besides if he wrecks it I'll take his BMW.

I recall my first ride- the dealer just handed me the keys and showed me the start routine, told me to come back in a few hours.

I have owned 3 of them now. 2009, 2011, 2014.

Yazz
02-24-2015, 08:17 PM
I have offered to let someone ride my Spyder two times. Hubby excluded...

First time was a dear friend. He was a old-school, hard-core biker who was getting very frail. Family was worried about him holding up his bagger. The look on his face when he came back from the riding my Spyder was priceless. One of the sons rode his RS to the funeral.

Second time was with a good friend. He wanted to try out my Spyder, I wanted to ride in his sidecar rig. Good deal on both sides.

As far as people "wanting to borrow" my Spyder or any other vehicle, :cus: NO!

SNOOPY
02-24-2015, 10:37 PM

Just saw this post.

Really?

Heck no! roflmao

People have asked me before to drive my car too.

I ask, "have you driven a 650 HP car before?"

When they answer "no"....I say there's your answer. LOL

KAR
02-25-2015, 12:54 AM
In the State of Washington, you have to have a separate license for riding trikes or Spyder's. So my response is "Do you have a license?" If not, I suggest for $125 they go take the state 2 day trike course. They can try Spyders, trikes, or side cars and not do any damage to mine.