PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle-Surging

Spyder Hawk
02-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Anyone in the forum have this same issue. I researched it the best I could but couldn't find any info on a fix.

Service Bulletin Number: 10550361. It is fully detailed below...

Vehicle: 2013 Can-Am Spyder St
NHTSA: Action Number: 1020015 Service Bulletin Number: 10550361
Component: Fuel/Propulsion System/Engine

Summary: The Spyder ST-S has started idling rough....RPM's will race between 1000 and 2000 in a nano second and the bike will surge forward. It started happening after about 200 hundred are so miles, subtle at first, and has gotten more noticeable over the weeks. Now it has a rough idle all the time and is becoming a safety hazard while at stop lights and in traffic. When I have started the bike all this week there has been a loud beep as well. I don't know if that was always there or not. At stop lights the bike will surge to 1800-2000 and bike will lurch forward. The bike also clatters and shakes at cold take-off and reverse when the gas is applied.

If anybody else has had this issue could you reply here and tell us what the fix was.

Thanks

Pennyrick
02-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Anyone in the forum have this same issue. I researched it the best I could but couldn't find any info on a fix.

Summary: The Spyder ST-S has started idling rough....RPM's will race between 1000 and 2000 in a nano second and the bike will surge forward. It started happening after about 200 hundred are so miles, subtle at first, and has gotten more noticeable over the weeks. Now it has a rough idle all the time and is becoming a safety hazard while at stop lights and in traffic. When I have started the bike all this week there has been a loud beep as well. I don't know if that was always there or not. At stop lights the bike will surge to 1800-2000 and bike will lurch forward. The bike also clatters and shakes at cold take-off and reverse when the gas is applied.

If anybody else has had this issue could you reply here and tell us what the fix was.

Thanks

My wife's 2012 RT (with the same 990 engine) had a surging problem that was not quite a serious as your's sounds. It began surging at highway speeds and later was accompanied by loss of steering assist on some turns.

Turned out to be a weak battery. Both the DPS and throttle body take a tremendous amount of power out of the system and if the battery is at all weak, it can't maintain the power needed to operate both items as well as control all the other electronics on the Spyder.

Wouldn't hurt to have a dealer check the draw on the electrical system.

SpyderAnn01
02-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks

Okay, I'm confused. Was the service bulletin not the fix?

kubie
02-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Mine is doing the same thing.... 2013 ST-S SE5. I have almost 17000 miles on her. It started about three weeks ago. Let me back up a little further... about a month and a half ago,I had my dealership take off the cat and put on the Lamonster Cat Bypass and and the Akrapovic Sport Touring Silencer!!! (Witch by the way... I Love) "It Took all the heat away".... Any ways.. two weeks after that it started idling rough, and it seemed to come on all at once. One day it was fine the next, while sitting at a red light it started to idle rough and Surge mine idles at around 1300 rps and it would almost stall then rev up to somewhere around 2000. and lurch forward.. I would have to hold my foot on the break and give it some gas to get it to move.
I use my Spyder every day to go to and from work so I thought I would try it the next day. I made it to work ok. It only seemed to miss spit and sputter when I was sitting at red lights or stop signs but it wasn't that bad. I got to work and it was pretty bad so I shut it off with out a cool down. Started it after work seemed fine for a while then started acting up again... Top end seems fine Maybe a little vibration I hadn't noticed before, But at this point I am so freaked by what's going on that I may just have been noticing things that were always there. So I Get almost to the house.... "The last red light".... and it is so bad it stalled. I Get it started and hold the break and rev the engine to keep it running and the light changes and I start to go the bike is shuddering, shaking, Spitting and sputtering but I get it rolling and its running like I lost a cylinder! Its running really bad.... so I call my dealer and tell them what's going on and they tell me to get it to them in the morning. I get it on my trailer and take it to them. They replace the Spark Plugs and send me on my way. I ride the next four days each day it rides rougher and rougher so I take it back and they put it on the computer and BUDS tells them the ECM is bad... They order and install the new one and its still missing And Sputtering at an Idle. So they take the Cat Bypass off and put the Cat back on to check and see if thats what is causing The Problem... and it still is missing at an idle.... THANK YOU GOD!!! I Love the Cat Delete and New exhaust! The dealer has been on the phone with BRP Tech. and Will be talking to them more on Monday morning... they are now looking at the fuel injection system and 02 sensors!

Sorry its so long... but you asked...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Ryde Safe
Kubie:doorag:

billybovine
02-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks

The service bulletin was for the Safety Recall for melted brake master cylinder. I have no idea what this has to do with the problem you are having.

Surging and rough idle is likely from a vacuum leak or faulty purge valve. Take it back to the dealer and let them hunt down the problem.

Shutter and shake at take off when cold is a different problem again. BRP used different clutch materials for 2013 to improve performance and longevity. The side effect is this shutter issue when cold. This is considered normal and should go away after driving a short distance, 1 mile or less.

SpyderAnn01
02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
The service bulletin was for the Safety Recall for melted brake master cylinder. I have no idea what this has to do with the problem you are having.

Surging and rough idle is likely from a vacuum leak or faulty purge valve. Take it back to the dealer and let them hunt down the problem.

Shutter and shake at take off when cold is a different problem again. BRP used different clutch materials for 2013 to improve performance and longevity. The side effect is this shutter issue when cold. This is considered normal and should go away after driving a short distance, 1 mile or less.

Agreed. On my 2013 RT I had the rough idling, it would idle rough then race up to 3000 rpm then shut down. I had a faulty purge valve. To the OP if it is found that you have a faulty purge valve you need to insist that they replace the evap canister. Unless you like gas fumes and the risk of fire.

chuck gross
02-22-2015, 08:41 PM
My STL had a stalling issue sometimes when at lights plus the shaking and shuddering at take off when cold.
the dealer and BRP started by rebuilding the clutch as they thought the clutch shuddering might be causing the stalling that didn't fix it so they did the purge valve and spark plugs & wires that didn't fix it so they replaced throttle body and now she runs like a top the motor has a ton of power and the throttle is super responsive and no more stalling!! it has a small amount of shuddering at take off when cold I typically try to let it warm up for a few minutes and that helps.
Good luck I hope they figure out what your issue is just be patient as these are very complicated machines and it can take a while to sort through and find out what is wrong I ended up just leaving my STL at the dealer for about 6 weeks about this time last year as the dealer and BRP worked together to find the issue and it saved me a bunch of trips and frustration as the dealer wanted to get it fixed as bad as I did and that way it was ready to go by spring :thumbup:

kubie
02-23-2015, 04:19 AM
I sure hope it doesn't take 6 weeks.... I live in Florida and I Really need to get my Knees in the Breeze!!

thanks

Chupaca
02-23-2015, 10:17 AM
don't dawddle around get it to the dealer to sort it out...spring is out there somewhere..!! :thumbup:

Spyder_Cowgirl
02-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Agreed. On my 2013 RT I had the rough idling, it would idle rough then race up to 3000 rpm then shut down. I had a faulty purge valve. To the OP if it is found that you have a faulty purge valve you need to insist that they replace the evap canister. Unless you like gas fumes and the risk of fire.

Ann .... didn't flamingobabe have a surging problem shortly before her O2 sensor blew out? I remember reading, very early in her troubles, that the bike had started surging and then shortly after, maybe, one of the O2 sensors was blown completely out of the exhaust pipe.

Just another possibility .... from another Ann (with no 'E')

Spyder Hawk
02-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone, all good ideas. I got the bike used if you can call it that, only 3 miles on it. The guy that bought it in 2013 never started it or drove it so it never had any of the 2013 bugs fixed. With what mine is doing I lean towards a bad throttle body or ECM. I don't think it has enough miles on it to be much else. I'm also in California so there has been no harsh weather to assault it. BRP says they are going to take care of the air flow panels and that the warranty and extended warranty should be transferable. Its been over a week now and I still can't get the dealership to transfer the ownership in the BRP Database. They won't do anything until that is done so I am stuck now. I can't even make an appointment to get it looked at. Very frustrating to spend that much cash to get something that needs a bunch of repairs out of the gate.

kubie
02-23-2015, 06:35 PM
I Talked to my service guy at about 5:30pm. they have been on the phone with BRP Tech all day trying different things! They think they have it fixed. The New ECM was programed Wrong so they had to go through and Reprogram it, and I think they changed the Throttle body too... He told me they just came back from the test ryde and said it ran fine, but they where going to run it again in the morning and make sure before I can pick it up.... So hopefully I will be back on my Ryde with my Knees in the Breeze tomorrow... When I find out all they did tomorrow I will post... Hope you get yours figured out... it really is the best Ryde I have ever had.

Best of luck!!!

flamingobabe
02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Spyder_Cowgirl you are correct.......The original post I have highlighted......that is direct from NHTSA complaints that I posted....that is what my bike was doing...BRP and 3 different dealers could not find a fix.....Mark found one of the spark plug wires had a crack in it....all dry rot.....Mark (husband) ordered new plugs and wires from Baja Ron (better plugs and wires) and problem fixed.....as far as the shuttering and shaking...BRP replaced the entire clutch system...some plates were warped....it is 80% better...only at cold start and always in reverse......need more info ask me

Thanks

billybovine
02-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone, all good ideas. I got the bike used if you can call it that, only 3 miles on it. The guy that bought it in 2013 never started it or drove it so it never had any of the 2013 bugs fixed. With what mine is doing I lean towards a bad throttle body or ECM. I don't think it has enough miles on it to be much else. I'm also in California so there has been no harsh weather to assault it. BRP says they are going to take care of the air flow panels and that the warranty and extended warranty should be transferable. Its been over a week now and I still can't get the dealership to transfer the ownership in the BRP Database. They won't do anything until that is done so I am stuck now. I can't even make an appointment to get it looked at. Very frustrating to spend that much cash to get something that needs a bunch of repairs out of the gate.

I witnessed the transfer of warranty to new owner at a dealership a couple years ago and it took less than 5 minutes. It sounds like the safety recall was not done. If true the dealer should do it no matter who the registered owner is in BRPs system. That is because there is no cost to you and it is a RECALL.