PDA

View Full Version : Ecm- replaced by BRP / vibration 63-73 mph

Retired 2012
02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
A while ago I wrote and said BRP wanted to replace the ECM on my F3-S. The work was done yesterday, the ECM was replaced, all updates entered and both keys were remapped to work with the new ECM. The tech. said he ran a systems check and all was good.
I also asked them to check the belt vibration at 63 mph - 73 mph. They didn't due it yesterday, but said they would do it today. I talked with them
a few minutes ago, the tech. did a test ride and felt the vibrations. He contacted BRP and was told to double check the tension and placement of the belt. Making sure that the belt was in spec. BRP also told the tech. that some vibration was going to be present due to the length of the belt and the design of the machine. BRP said it was very important to ensure the belt was in spec. because any deviation could cause excessive wear of other parts. I was told tech. test rode my bike after and he felt the vibration was less then his first test drive. They will deliver the bike to me later today.
I am sick so I'll have to wait a few days to ride it and check out the vibration for myself. Tech. said BRP does not recommend the use of belt tensioners or any other after market product to try to alleviate the vibration.

I'm not mechanically inclined and can only pass on the information I was told.
Does this sound right to you? Anyone with any past knowledge on this?

THANKS,
DJ

ARtraveler
02-20-2015, 04:16 PM
It sounds to me like you are working with a knowledgeable and customer oriented shop.

Keep us informed. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
It sounds to me like you are working with a knowledgeable and customer oriented shop.

Keep us informed. :thumbup:

:agree:

Cruzr Joe

RPM
02-20-2015, 05:12 PM
A while ago I wrote and said BRP wanted to replace the ECM on my F3-S. The work was done yesterday, the ECM was replaced, all updates entered and both keys were remapped to work with the new ECM. The tech. said he ran a systems check and all was good.
I also asked them to check the belt vibration at 63 mph - 73 mph. They didn't due it yesterday, but said they would do it today. I talked with them
a few minutes ago, the tech. did a test ride and felt the vibrations. He contacted BRP and was told to double check the tension and placement of the belt. Making sure that the belt was in spec. BRP also told the tech. that some vibration was going to be present due to the length of the belt and the design of the machine. BRP said it was very important to ensure the belt was in spec. because any deviation could cause excessive wear of other parts. I was told tech. test rode my bike after and he felt the vibration was less then his first test drive. They will deliver the bike to me later today.
I am sick so I'll have to wait a few days to ride it and check out the vibration for myself. Tech. said BRP does not recommend the use of belt tensioners or any other after market product to try to alleviate the vibration.

I'm not mechanically inclined and can only pass on the information I was told.
Does this sound right to you? Anyone with any past knowledge on this?

THANKS,
DJ

So did they make any adjustments to the belt? Was it in spec? I have the same marked vibration/grinding and wonder if I should take mine back to the dealer or if it is within "normal" of the belt.

Thanks!

Biosafena
02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
While I do not own a F3, the vibration issue has been well documented on my 2012 RT. I am mechanically capable and actually have a degree in the field. I wish someone could explain to me how BRP thinks that the belt vibrating or flapping can be a good thing. I understand it is inherent on the slack side of the belt, but why do they feel a device to control that condition is a bad thing? Reducing vibration on any moving part or assembly can only improve performance and life expectancy to the associated parts. Personally, I have the SmoothSpyder on my 2012 RT and just received one for my 2014 RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2015, 06:40 PM
BRP isn't going to recommend anything that doesn't have BRP stamped somewhere on it ............Mike :thumbup:

LV2RYDE
02-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Personally, I have the SmoothSpyder on my 2012 RT and just received one for my 2014 RT.

What is "SmoothSpyder" you have on your RT 14?

Biosafena
02-20-2015, 06:52 PM
BRP isn't going to recommend anything that doesn't have BRP stamped somewhere on it ............Mike :thumbup:

I can understand that from a corporate standpoint, but what doesn't make sense to me is why BRP doesn't put their own on to help with the issue?? Why let a belt slap and jump when a simple device could help solve the problem? Profit margin? Show me another belt driven or belt operated machine or device that the manufacturer specifies that they want or will allow the belt to jump or vibrate at the levels BRP does. In this day and age engineers are always looking for ways to make things work smoother and last longer....why not BRP?

Biosafena
02-20-2015, 06:57 PM
What is "SmoothSpyder" you have on your RT 14?

Go to www.smoothspyder.com or the home page on Spyderlovers. He is a site sponsor. It is a "tensioner" that you install without drilling to help control the belt vibrations that are felt due to the extremely long drive belt used on the Spyder. It is similar to what is used on the serpentine belt on your passenger vehicle. Well worth the money and a great guy to deal with.

Retired 2012
02-20-2015, 07:56 PM
I checked out smoothspyder.com and really liked the dual backrest set up. It is costly but serves as both a riders backrest or a passengers back rest. Very neat design, looks like it is made with quality parts. Has anyone tested one of these, any feed back?
Any plans on making it work on the new F3's?
Any issues with warranty when using a belt tensioner?

thanks,
DJ

RPM
02-20-2015, 09:37 PM
I fitted a tensioner to mine today, it fit well and was an easy install.
Unfortunately and surprisingly it didn't do much at all for the vibration that was present between 68-71MPH while accelerating.
Where 10-14 Lbs. has done wonders for most of the other models, even 20 Lbs didn't make a noticeable difference, maybe due to the larger sprocket or longer belt.
I'm not done yet, but it isn't looking too promising.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102111&stc=1

Capt. Jim, have you been able to work out the vibrations with the tensioner yet?

capt.jim
02-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Capt. Jim, have you been able to work out the vibrations with the tensioner yet?

Well, I have reduced mine to about half or maybe more from what it was. My wife didn't notice it anymore, but I still do.
I can still feel it at 68-71MPH, but much reduced, I can drive through it now sometimes where before I couldn't.

It will have to make a more substantial and noticeable improvement before I will bring it to market, I'm not there yet but still working on it and have some other things to try.
I won't sell something unless I would be happy spending my own money for the benefits provided.

capt.jim
02-20-2015, 11:59 PM
I checked out smoothspyder.com and really liked the dual backrest set up. It is costly but serves as both a riders backrest or a passengers back rest. Very neat design, looks like it is made with quality parts. Has anyone tested one of these, any feed back?
Any plans on making it work on the new F3's?
Any issues with warranty when using a belt tensioner?

thanks,
DJ
The F-3 backrest is coming, in time for Daytona I'm hoping.

Retired 2012
02-21-2015, 12:47 AM
The tech. said he "double-checked" and the belt was with in spec., but then said he test rode it again and felt less vibration.
So if he did nothing, the vibration wouldn't have lessen, but if it was "in Spec." then I'm not sure what he did.
That is what is so unnerving about not being mechanically inclined.

RPM
02-21-2015, 04:54 AM
Well, I have reduced mine to about half or maybe more from what it was. My wife didn't notice it anymore, but I still do.
I can still feel it at 68-71MPH, but much reduced, I can drive through it now sometimes where before I couldn't.

It will have to make a more substantial and noticeable improvement before I will bring it to market, I'm not there yet but still working on it and have some other things to try.
I won't sell something unless I would be happy spending my own money for the benefits provided.

Thanks!!!

billybovine
02-21-2015, 09:27 AM

DJ

They must have put in a new DESS module too since the keys have nothing to do with the ECM. Did BRP give any reason for the changes?

Retired 2012
02-21-2015, 03:25 PM
BRP contacted the dealer and said certain vin#'s F3's needed to have the ECM replaced and software updated, it only effected a small number of bikes, at least that is what my dealer relayed to me. I didn't have any trouble starting or using the bike before, but haven't ridden it since getting it back yesterday afternoon.
The dealer called me and needed me to bring the second key so they could flash it also. So maybe they changed out more then they said.
The paper work just shows ECM and updates.

Retired 2012
02-28-2015, 01:36 AM
Took a long ride today, hit and maintain fwy speeds. I still feel the vibration but it has been reduced some.
I used the cruise control for the first time and it worked great, too.
Still Smiling:2thumbs: Love this bike.:yes:

etaoin
02-28-2015, 03:53 AM
I've been following this vibration issue, too. I just noticed it so I haven't taken any steps yet to try and correct it. What if a combination of belt tensioner AND the grease-the-belt-teeth trick as others have suggested (in another thread) would be a winning combination?