PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Safety Recall - Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment

Pages : [1] 2

BRPcare
02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=12637!2854&md=SPYDER&fy=2012&ty=2015&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2015067&cf=SearchResult&pg=0); we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?77545-2013-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Safety-Recall-Elevated-Temperature-in-Engine-Compartment&p=940034&viewfull=1#post940034).] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.

cuznjohn
02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know

ARtraveler
02-17-2015, 05:03 PM
so what will the fix be steve. i am sure people are going to want to know

The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.

cuznjohn
02-17-2015, 05:07 PM
The Canadian link says the fix is "under development."

Should be available by May 2015.

i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it

ARtraveler
02-17-2015, 05:09 PM
i saw that buddy. just wanted to know if he would elaborate a lil on it

:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

thrinsag
02-17-2015, 05:17 PM
T tried to make contact with BRP on several occasions re some kind of "klunkin" sounds in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 along with the horrendous heat problem. They don't care. My dealer doesn't care. My wife seems not to care. I care! I am not so angry with BRP as I am disappointed with them. Oh well, life goes on. Love the contraption though. Just my "CanAm Lament."

tip
02-17-2015, 05:19 PM
I am impressed with Can Am for this step!!
Hopefully all those with these problems will now find relief.
my 2 cents worth

Bob Denman
02-17-2015, 06:33 PM
T tried to make contact with BRP on several occasions re some kind of "klunkin" sounds in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 along with the horrendous heat problem. They don't care. My dealer doesn't care. My wife seems not to care. I care! I am not so angry with BRP as I am disappointed with them. Oh well, life goes on. Love the contraption though. Just my "CanAm Lament."

:shocked: You haven't exactly given us much to work off of here... :dontknow: :banghead:

Lagaffe
02-17-2015, 06:39 PM
​ALLELUIAAAAAA !!!

RBS66
02-17-2015, 06:42 PM
I sure hope this relieves the boiling gas and gas fumes.

Chupaca
02-17-2015, 06:54 PM
for keeping the site informed. Hopefully you will have further updates as they develop. Looking forward to the solution...:thumbup:

mastertek2000
02-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Thank god hope this works

thrinsag
02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
:shocked: You haven't exactly given us much to work off of here... :dontknow: :banghead:

Yeah, I know. I have sought help from the forums before and got great advice. I think I even got some from you (good advice , too!). I am just an old codger that can't get down low enough to try some of the suggestions. Hey, like the old saying, "when my butt gets lower than my knees, I get stuck. I am not angry, as I said in my post, just weary. As information, I have a loud klunking sound in the front end of my 2013 STS SE5 when it rocks from side to side. I can hear it on the road if I am. saaay under 30PMH. I have checked heim fittings, my sway bar, shocks and springs, tie rods, tightness of about every nut and bolt I can see and reach, but I can't see or get my hands all the way inside the machine yet to figure what else it could be. I am working on a lawnmower lift to raise the front end. I am extending the arms if the lift so they will accommodate the width of the front end and will lift it 30 inches. Then maybe I can get under enough to find out what it is. My dealer says it is just breaking in. So far I have broken it in for over about 9,800 miles. Huummm. The heat issue is typical of all the type posts I read: hot as hell but a lot more comfortable (I hope and trust). Thanks for your thoughts though. I just believe a company, Dealer or Manufacturer, should be a little concerned over complaints that seem to be more dangerous than a tire that won't hold airor a panel that is a misfit. I started my attempts to get some advice from the Dealer and BRP within a hundred miles of my purchase, and I bought it new with only a little under 4 miles on it. As I said before, I love my Spyder, and I will ride it till I wear it out, however long that takes, but I won't buy another unless things change drastically. Thanks again for your comment and interest.

03hdjill
02-17-2015, 07:21 PM
The actual website states 2013 for the year and Spyder for the model. It doesn't specify RT.

Tnpapa
02-17-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=12637!2854&md=SPYDER&fy=2012&ty=2015&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2015067&cf=SearchResult&pg=0); we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

Once the recall has been published on the NHTSA website, if you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.

What about us RS riders with crispy fried legs?

maliamd
02-17-2015, 07:29 PM
my 2 cents worth

I am not impressed at all. BRP was forced into this recall by the findings and actions of NHTSA. BRP should have acted on this heat issue months ago.

BRPcare
02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi 03hdjill,

The actual website states 2013 for the year and Spyder for the model. It doesn't specify RT.

This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.

SpyderAnn01
02-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi 03hdjill,

This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.

The Canadian Road Safety Recall bulletin just said all 2013 Can-Am Spyders. That will surely cause a lot of confusion.

DJFaninTN
02-17-2015, 07:49 PM
http://www.clearasmud.eu/mudlogoofficial.gif

Dragonfly
02-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Now that could be a major event at Spyderfest 2015. :shocked:

ekfraz
02-17-2015, 08:19 PM
I hope they have a fix that will actually work, I would like to actually ride my Spyder instead of it being a centerpiece for my garage.

jcthorne
02-17-2015, 08:26 PM
my 2 cents worth

Your impressed because the NHTSA forced them into a recall situation?

Frankly it should have been investigated and repaired over a year ago. Not 2 model years later and after being told repeatedly it was all in our heads that there was nothing wrong with the bikes.

Yes, I am glad to hear something is finally in the work. But again wait a few months and we might do something. I will believe its a real fix when I see it work. Until then, I really think this 'voluntary' business is yet another attempt to stave off having to do much of anything. Hope I am wrong, but its the way we have been treated so far. They also better be willing to update any of the 2013s that have already had work done to them by the owner trying to make the bikes safe and usable while waiting for BRP to get around to doing something.

I actually hope its body panels, an insulated gas tank and retrofit of the reversing fan from the 2014s.

Jeriatric
02-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Short of that single incident(the cops spyder), and one other conveniently linked to it. Nothing would have gotten better. imo

Failure to support what one sells is why we are forced to have BIG BROTHER looking out for us.

Hope the fix works for all who own 13's. :doorag:

jaherbst
02-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Don't get too exited about this. I think it is the same thing I was a a volunteer for in August.

1. One exhaust shroud

2. Drilled 50 holes under seat at the rear

3. Side vent deflectors (which I had already bought)

4. Reverse the fan below 6 MPH

This did absolutely no good to solve any of the Heat or Gas fume problems for those of us who participated in this experimental program for BRP.

After Pitbull deleted the CAT and the above program did nothing I traded for a 2014 with none of the Heat and Gas Fume problems. This Major design problem will never be solved by all these Band Aids. It Will take a Major Design change or retrofit with the 1330 engine that BRP is not willing to finance. Meanwhile they will continue to string everyone along and give them false Hope IMHO. I do have a licensed flight and mechanical engineering back ground but by no means am I an expert.

A lot of money has been wasted by owners trying to solve BRP's mishap. The 2013 RT was to have a new frame and the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. At crunch time the 1330 Engine and Transmission were not ready. BRP decided to use the 998 engine in the new frame designed for the 1330 engine. There in lies the major problem. The 998 was barely able to fit properly due to the higher frame and less space and placing the exhaust and engine too close to the gas tank. It was this decision that has caused all the heartburn for a lot of us and cost us an arm an a leg. For those in the northern climes the problem is less due to the lower mean temps. BRP told us this as we were doing research to try to solve the problem and learned the problem was worse on the 2013 than the 2010, 2011, 2012.

Jack

Ben Burped
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM
We can always depend on you for a straightforward answer. That is refreshing. Keep it up.

BRPcare
02-17-2015, 11:46 PM
Hi jaherbst,

Don't get too exited about this. I think it is the same thing I was a a volunteer for in August.
1. One exhaust shroud
This did absolutely no good to solve any of the Heat or Gas fume problems for those of us who participated in this experimental program for BRP.

Thanks for your comment. While we can't go into detail just yet, I can assure you what we've been working on is not what you describe above or some sort of band-aid fix, but rather a viable solution which is now in the final validation phase. BRP is fully committed to getting all this deployed with as little delay as possible. We'll be able to provide more info shortly.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
02-18-2015, 12:23 AM

1. One exhaust shroud

After Pitbull deleted the CAT and the above program did nothing I traded for a 2014 with none of the Heat and Gas Fume problems. This Major design problem will never be solved by all these Band Aids. It Will take a Major Design change or retrofit with the 1330 engine that BRP is not willing to finance. Meanwhile they will continue to string everyone along and give them false Hope IMHO. I do have a licensed flight and mechanical engineering back ground but by no means am I an expert.

A lot of money has been wasted by owners trying to solve BRP's mishap. The 2013 RT was to have a new frame and the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission. At crunch time the 1330 Engine and Transmission were not ready. BRP decided to use the 998 engine in the new frame designed for the 1330 engine. There in lies the major problem. The 998 was barely able to fit properly due to the higher frame and less space and placing the exhaust and engine too close to the gas tank. It was this decision that has caused all the heartburn for a lot of us and cost us an arm an a leg. For those in the northern climes the problem is less due to the lower mean temps. BRP told us this as we were doing research to try to solve the problem and learned the problem was worse on the 2013 than the 2010, 2011, 2012.

Jack

Jack,

Don't hold back Man, tell us how you really feel.

Having said that, I am glad I have a 2012 RT so I don't have this problem. Owners who have had to spend their own money to fix this problem should be reimbursed, especially since BRP has admitted, or forced to admit, that there is a problem.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
02-18-2015, 12:27 AM
​ALLELUIAAAAAA !!!

Ahhh, a Leonard Cohen fan.

cuznjohn
02-18-2015, 12:29 AM

1. One exhaust shroud

Jack

after reading this BRP said, WELL THERE GOES THAT IDEA we need to try something else now because jack laid out our fix. i spent and lost a lot of money on my 13 rt and even thou i now i have a good bike with the 14 i still hold a lot of anger for what i went through and the beating i took in the loss of money.

Pirate looks at --
02-18-2015, 12:45 AM
BRP,

i for for one love my 2013 RTL, just under 20000 miles in a year and a half and I expect to put a lot more on it this year. We have plans for some long trips this spring and I was hoping that we can get a slightly better Idea of when the fix will be available, and how much shop time will be involved in the fix. Thanks for taking the time and and investing the resources to find a solution to what fortunately has been a tolerable issue for me at least. My wife drives the Spyder too and she has had some minor burns on her legs from Ryding but that was resolved by her wearing some riding pants.

Again BRP, thanks for stepping up, and I sure I will take some grief from the haters on this board but I love my Spyder and I look forward to more awesome times on my RT.:yes::yes:

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 01:14 AM
Hello,

We have plans for some long trips this spring and I was hoping that we can get a slightly better Idea of when the fix will be available, and how much shop time will be involved in the fix.
The timeframe mentioned on the Transport Canada page for the recall is by May; and we don't anticipate it being any different for the United States. As for shop time, as soon as there's an accurate estimate available I'll post it here.

Dragonrider
02-18-2015, 01:18 AM
As I've said before, it takes a lot of time and effort to (1) find the root cause of a problem, (2) develop a fix that works, and (3) validate the fix. This is a serious issue, and like the 2014 ST, the fix will be adequate.

Once the issue becomes formalized, MORE time is required to develop a fix, not less, as more testing and paperwork is required.

While we know the frame & radiator design change, coupled with the 990V-twin) in 2013 was a significant factor in the increased heat for the 2013 RT, there may have been other changes that impacted air flow and may have had a significant impact, or mechanical changes, such as additional timing changes to meet emission requirements, and adding additional heat.

Let's give BRP the benefit of the doubt, and see if they get it right.

pjb_Brisie
02-18-2015, 01:30 AM
BRPcare,
I am an Australian 2013 RT ltd owner. Our temperatures for 9 months of the year is above 25 Degrees C, our winter temps are around 19 Degrees C tops, I live in South East Queensland, the best place in the world. When I purchased the RT in December 2013, I rode home from the supplier in 40 Degree C temps and I knew then I had an issue. The issue was not enough to stop you riding but it made what should be enjoyable very unpleasant. I retired six months after I purchased the RT, I love the Spyder and hope to get many years out of touring on it.

After several months of looking for solutions and doing some of the things that have been posted on this forum, I decided to buy an after market filter from our local supplier and investigate ceramic coating the pipes and the cat. I was advised that this would void my warranty and have decided to wait until it is run out.
I then approached BRP Australia about the issue, my major concern was boiling fuel and gas fumes of which I had plenty. They directed me to the supplier and he made some changes to the RT, mainly changed the purge valve and the canister, this has made no difference.
I would like to think that BRP will fix this issue and not as Jack has intimated, band aid it.

BRP have a great product with many dedicated owners who love their rides as my wife and I do. We are off to Tasmania on Sunday 22nd Feb, for a 5 week touring holiday on the RT. It is a pity that this could not have been dealt with sooner but I understand the ramifications of dealing with such an issue.

I look forward to a solution, love the Spyderlovers forum and love my RT, lets hope it all works out for the best.
pjb_Brisie

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 01:38 AM
Hello pjb_Brisie,

I then approached BRP Australia about the issue [...]
I would like to think that BRP will fix this issue and not as Jack has intimated, band aid it.
This safety recall addresses all 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT vehicles regardless of country of operation. It will be carried out worldwide.

BRP have a great product with many dedicated owners who love their rides as my wife and I do. We are off to Tasmania on Sunday 22nd Feb, for a 5 week touring holiday on the RT.
That sounds like an incredible tour. Have a safe and wonderful holiday!

mastertek2000
02-18-2015, 05:43 AM
Hi 03hdjill,

will this take care of the gas fumes ?????

lenlis
02-18-2015, 06:32 AM
bought 2013 rt limited in may 2013.

8500 miles to date.

2 yr warranty at time of sale

is BRP going to cover any and all expenses even after my warranty expires?

Raknid
02-18-2015, 07:07 AM
will this take care of the gas fumes ?????

I have a 2012 RT with the strong gas fumes issue. I know 2012 models are not part of this recall. Anything further expected for those with earlier models and the gas fume concerns?

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi lenlis,

is BRP going to cover any and all expenses even after my warranty expires?
This is a safety recall. Your dealer will do the required repairs under this safety recall at no charge to you.

mastertek2000
02-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Hi lenlis,

This is a safety recall. Your dealer will do the required repairs under this safety recall at no charge to you.

i have a 2013 RT will this take care of the gas fumes also ?????

Bob Denman
02-18-2015, 08:14 AM
As I've said before, it takes a lot of time and effort to (1) find the root cause of a problem, (2) develop a fix that works, and (3) validate the fix. This is a serious issue, and like the 2014 ST, the fix will be adequate.

Once the issue becomes formalized, MORE time is required to develop a fix, not less, as more testing and paperwork is required.

While we know the frame & radiator design change, coupled with the 990V-twin) in 2013 was a significant factor in the increased heat for the 2013 RT, there may have been other changes that impacted air flow and may have had a significant impact, or mechanical changes, such as additional timing changes to meet emission requirements, and adding additional heat.

Let's give BRP the benefit of the doubt, and see if they get it right.
If we had a "Me Too" Button; I'd be all over it!
Give them a chance to implement the corrective actions... :thumbup:
Or... Do you just like to hear yourselves complain? :shocked:

(I just KNOW that this is gonna start something... But it HAD to be said!)

Pirate looks at --
02-18-2015, 08:32 AM
If we had a "Me Too" Button; I'd be all over it!
Give them a chance to implement the corrective actions... :thumbup:
Or... Do you just like to hear yourselves complain? :shocked:

(I just KNOW that this is gonna start something... But it HAD to be said!)
Well said Bob. Let's all sit back nd see what they are able to do for us. Some of you have really suffered for a couple of years a couple of months may make all the difference in the world. Hey your ryde may increase in value if the fix is a solid one!

mastertek2000
02-18-2015, 08:51 AM
I have a front seat and am hope for a great resolution. I love my bike

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Hi mastertek2000,
The recall is primarily intended to address the concern related to elevated temperature in the engine compartment and the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire. Any other improvements that might be noticed after the recall are welcome but as mentioned above, our focus here is on safety and addressing the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

oldguyinTX
02-18-2015, 09:21 AM
I, for one, will be thrilled if it actually works. Hopefully, BRP has put a lot of thought into this, and it will be a viable solution, Not just a band aid fix as in the past. The wife & I love our RT, which we bought specifically for long distance riding. As the old saying goes, "Better Late Than Never".

tip
02-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Brp could have dragged this through the justice system a long time. Seems to me they are taking action as we read.
Read the new statement and comply - should help those that are truly affected.
Good luck to all '13 RT owners!!

Frankly it should have been investigated and repaired over a year ago. Not 2 model years later and after being told repeatedly it was all in our heads that there was nothing wrong with the bikes.

Yes, I am glad to hear something is finally in the work. But again wait a few months and we might do something. I will believe its a real fix when I see it work. Until then, I really think this 'voluntary' business is yet another attempt to stave off having to do much of anything. Hope I am wrong, but its the way we have been treated so far. They also better be willing to update any of the 2013s that have already had work done to them by the owner trying to make the bikes safe and usable while waiting for BRP to get around to doing something.

I actually hope its body panels, an insulated gas tank and retrofit of the reversing fan from the 2014s.

jaherbst
02-18-2015, 09:58 AM
after reading this BRP said, WELL THERE GOES THAT IDEA we need to try something else now because jack laid out our fix. i spent and lost a lot of money on my 13 rt and even thou i now i have a good bike with the 14 i still hold a lot of anger for what i went through and the beating i took in the loss of money.

My trade cost me just under $10,000 John and I am sure BRP will never reimburse us. I will be 75 in April and do not feel I can wait another 5-10 years for BRP to string me along with all the "Band Aid" fixes. I was afraid of fire and or an explosion from gas fumes in my garage. Like I said, the only real fix would be the right engine for the right frame. We literally got screwed when the new engine/transmission was not ready for the new frame and it was decided to put the 998 in the new frame. There simply was not enough room for it to run cool enough and it was mounted up too close to the gas tank to prevent heating the fuel. Front exhaust pipe wrapped around and 2-3 inches under the gas tank. Not good!

I truly hope for those who bought the 2013 that a viable fix is found. I doubt it will be the designed engine/transmission.

Jack

jcthorne
02-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Brp could have dragged this through the justice system a long time. Seems to me they are taking action as we read.
Read the new statement and comply - should help those that are truly affected.
Good luck to all '13 RT owners!!

Lets just say I disagree. BRPs deadline to respond to the NHTSA was Friday. Gee they cut it short by 3 days. If they had not acted, the NHTSA would have within the next few months. There have been VERY few successful challenges of an NHTSA ordered recall and frankly BRP does not have the financial backing to go there.

Their feet were to the fire so they responded. I only hope its a real improvement in the situation.

Now they have posted a letter that essentially states I must cease riding my bike to work by mid march. Are they going to provide me a loaner until the fix is available? Bet the bank still wants to be paid during those months.

I am through 'cutting BRP some slack'. They have used up all the rope and its long past time to hold them responsible to fix what they broke. Including financial losses, and loss of use. And before anyone goes all overboard, no, I am not filing a lawsuit. Would be a complete waste of time as is the lemon law on a 2 year old bike that has dropped in value like this one has due to manufacture defects.

Magdave
02-18-2015, 10:34 AM
:clap::clap::clap: So what about those of us who have paid to buy adjustable vents and have insulation added at the dealer will we be reimbursed for the cost?

Magdave
02-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Why not just put the right engine in and front end on and call it a day? They have it developed now.:dontknow::dontknow: For those of us who have been test pilots and fix tester do we get flight pay?:roflblack:

Mcubed45
02-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Being one of the red headed step children who owns a 2013 ST Ltd, (which, by the way, is one hell of a vehicle) I am heart broken that we have to wait and see if BRP wil eventually expand their fixes to include us. Our butts get warm when we get off the highway and go through town. And, the gas fumes can be a bit overwhelming when we get stopped at the stoplight.

Oh oh please Mr. BRP, don't leave us out!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

jcthorne
02-18-2015, 10:46 AM
BRPcare, I have an idea,

If BRP really wants to assist owners with this situation,

How about they show up at Spyderfest with the BRP service semi truck they brought to the Owners Event and a couple hundred recall parts kits and mechanics to do the change outs on site. Take appointments and get er done.

It would go a long way to show some concern and an attempt to make things right. It would also save them a bunch of cash vs paying dealers to do all the work. With the large number of bikes in one place at one time.

Just trying to still be constructive rather than just finding fault.

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi jcthorne,

Now they have posted a letter that essentially states I must cease riding my bike to work by mid march.
Actually, you can continue riding your 2013 Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in very hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/ 85 F or more):

Avoid idle or slow traffic driving for extended periods of time.
Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first.
Avoid direct and prolonged contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the operator's guide.

BRPcare
02-18-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi SpyderAnn01,
The Canadian Road Safety Recall bulletin just said all 2013 Can-Am Spyders. That will surely cause a lot of confusion.
Thanks for pointing this out! The Transport Canada recall page has been updated to specify the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT.

napper39
02-18-2015, 12:31 PM
i do have a 2013 rt and wanted to trade for a new 2014 rt but the low amount they wanted to give me for the trade was so low i could not make the trade so how about you brp tell my dealer to give me a decent trade and i will buy a new 2014 rt and be very happy with ever thing you have helped with,now to tell you im not a new rider of motorcycles ive owend 56 motorcycles,two of your spyders a 2010 rs and then a rt 2013 hot shot,but i do like the spyders so with your help i can get a 2014 or 2015 rt and ride in to the sunset happy.my dealer is reno power sprots of kansas city mo.you may contect me by phone 785-214-5012 or email napper39@yahoo.com thanks for any help.jerry knapp.

oldgoat
02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
i do have a 2013 rt and wanted to trade for a new 2014 rt but the low amount they wanted to give me for the trade was so low i could not make the trade so how about you brp tell my dealer to give me a decent trade and i will buy a new 2014 rt and be very happy with ever thing you have helped with,now to tell you im not a new rider of motorcycles ive owend 56 motorcycles,two of your spyders a 2010 rs and then a rt 2013 hot shot,but i do like the spyders so with your help i can get a 2014 or 2015 rt and ride in to the sunset happy.my dealer is reno power sprots of kansas city mo.you may contect me by phone 785-214-5012 or email napper39@yahoo.com thanks for any help.jerry knapp.

Well, there you are BRP, the ball is squarely in your court on this post.

What do you do to help people whose dealers think the 2013 RTs are worthless?

Magdave
02-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Well, there you are BRP, the ball is squarely in your court on this post.

What do you do to help people whose dealers think the 2013 RTs are worthless?
:agree: Unless the fix is replacing the engine with the 1330 it should have had to begin with. The frame was not designed for the 998.:banghead:

WA5VHU
02-18-2015, 02:49 PM
​BRPcare vs. brpCARE

Raknid
02-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Hi mastertek2000,
The recall is primarily intended to address the concern related to elevated temperature in the engine compartment and the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire. Any other improvements that might be noticed after the recall are welcome but as mentioned above, our focus here is on safety and addressing the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Hi Steve..thank you for your comments and insight on the announced recall. Regarding the gasoline fume issue, are there any separate actions or inquiries taking place (for any of he model years) on that issue?

This too is a very real safety concern for some of us here. I cannot park my wife's 2012 RT in my garage immediately after a ride as the attached garage and living areas fill with a strong gasoline odor.

I appreciate your insight.

WA5VHU
02-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Hi Steve..thank you for your comments and insight on the announced recall. Regarding the gasoline fume issue, are there any separate actions or inquiries taking place (for any of he model years) on that issue?

This too is a very real safety concern for some of us here. I cannot park my wife's 2012 RT in my garage immediately after a ride as the attached garage and living areas fill with a strong gasoline odor.

I appreciate your insight.

The same was true with our 2011 RT. At 60 MPH going down the highway, even on long trips, we would constantly smell raw gasoline fumes if the temperature was over 80°F. Coming to a stop the fumes were frighteningly strong and we were always prepared to jump off and run away from the possible firebomb. Not to mention having to wear lower body winter gear in the hot summertime just to insulate us from the Spyder's heat.

It's a shame it forced us to trade it in at a large loss to get a 2014 RT that so far seems to not have these issues. I'm sure BRP/Can-Am didn't mind their additional profits on that transaction.

I love our Spyder but have no such good feelings for BRP/Can-Am.

Note to self - do more research before buying a motorcycle intended to ride south of the 49th parallel that is designed and made up in the Great White North by a snowmobile company!

Charles

3 Wheel Addict
02-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Glad I got out from under mine back in July, feel bad for the sucker that ended up with it! Sure hope they finally get a fix for the people that are still stuck,... it just ain't right some are out hundreds or thousands of dollars trying to get it under control.

Scotts8826
02-18-2015, 04:11 PM
I hope that if a recall occurs that BRP doesn't look for reasons not to offer the fix to all 2013 Spyder RT's. Many of us could not wait for them to offer a solution so we did modifications on our own to lessen this issue. I would hate to be offered a corporate solution but then be denied service because I had "altered" the original design (removing parts, panels, blocking off or increasing wind flow, etc.).

cuznjohn
02-18-2015, 04:13 PM
1,373 bikes in Canada, i wonder how many bikes here in the states, also why just the rt when other owners feel the same heat on other models

latony007
02-18-2015, 04:59 PM
I wonder why only 2013, i understand they were the worst of the bunch but my brother has a 2012 RT and it almost burned my damn leg off one time when the outside temp was over 100. The exhaust is shooting straight up to your leg. We put on a blocker plate over the lower hole and that helped but i would certainly not say it solved the problem completely. Now he just refuses to ride it when its over 90 or 95 and i think thats a bummer. I hope this solutions works for all you guys that have them.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-18-2015, 05:02 PM
1,373 bikes in Canada, i wonder how many bikes here in the states, also why just the rt when other owners feel the same heat on other models

From what I've read following this thread , it appears the main issue is / was putting the 998 engine into the FRAME designed for the 1330 Ace engine .....I don't think any of the other Spyders ( any years ) have the ACE frame if they have the 998 engine ( except the 2013 RT ).........JMHO......Mike :thumbup:

NM Wrench
02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I am severely disappointed that with all of the heat related issues with the 2013 ST's we weren't included. Guess we have to wait for the ST's to start catching fire before you will do something about it!
Hi 03hdjill,

mastertek2000
02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Hi mastertek2000,

With all dew respect Steven how does BRP not consider gas fumes not a safety factor ?? the fumes are dew to the high heats lets hope one will fix the other thanks for your reply

spydercatjohn
02-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Wife and I have been riding our 2013 RT in Florida for two years with no heat or any other problem. If it was a design flaw I would think many more riders would be effected.

wyliec
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Wife and I have been riding our 2013 RT in Florida for two years with no heat or any other problem. If it was a design flaw I would think many more riders would be effected.

How many more?

jaherbst
02-18-2015, 08:41 PM

You must be the anointed one! Good on ya. Are you riding in the winter or summer in Florida? Very big difference. Most temps in Florida are below 85 degrees in the winter and that is usually the temp these problems begin to rear there ugly head. It seldom gets over 90 degrees in the summer but the humidity is close to that and it feels much warmer. I used to live in Coral Gables (Miami).

Jack

anthony422
02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
How do you think I feel I bought my 2013 RT A WEEK BEFORE THE 2014's came out ... Had no idea and my dealer played dumb I woulda waited anyway so I ended up with a hot box that has broke down due to heat ... I installed temp gauges and worked with the inspector , monitored temps 225 and above stop and go traffic on a hot day and it's risky. I waited for my maintainance for spring hoping we get some resolution another hot season really has restricted my trips I'm afraid to go far I'm 11k into this machine besides what I spent trying to fight the heat not really feeling fuzzy wuzzy right now. I think they should swap my 2013 for the 2014 even what I owe and I'd still be behind the eight ball for the past crappy riding seasons I've had some pretty sad conversations with BRP I'm a business person don't insult my intelligence

Genet
02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi Steve,you never answered my last three emails about my not being able to ride my bike because of the heat on my feet and the fact that my wife would not ride with me because of the heat/safety issues.
Because of that I traded the furnace in for the F3 and took a $6000.00 loss not to mention the money I spent to get it to the point I could ride it .
Will the people who have lost time and money be compensated by BRP?
Gene T

MouthPiece
02-18-2015, 10:07 PM
You must be the anointed one! Good on ya. Are you riding in the winter or summer in Florida? Very big difference. Most temps in Florida are below 85 degrees in the winter and that is usually the temp these problems begin to rear there ugly head. It seldom gets over 90 degrees in the summer but the humidity is close to that and it feels much warmer. I used to live in Coral Gables (Miami).

Jack

As a 70 year old native Flowridian I can assure you that temps in the summer time hover around 95 degrees on a regular basis. In the winter it is not unusual, save this winter, for temps to be in the 80s on a regular basis.

I have a 2013 RT-S and it gets hot, but it is not unbearable. As I have discussed in earlier posts, there is the heat that blows out the "torch hole" (extreme bottom right side) and there is the heat underneath the tupperware. I have on occassion burned my left thigh (yes I wear shorts) where my Corbin gas tank is. I simply move my right foot to the back of the floorboard with the heat that comes from the "torch hol

I for one thank BRP for posting the information that they have. I see no gain in bashing them when they have taken the time to provide this information. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris

M109Dreamer
02-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Hi jcthorne,

Actually, you can continue riding your 2013 Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in very hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/ 85 F or more):

Avoid idle or slow traffic driving for extended periods of time.
Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first.
Avoid direct and prolonged contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the operator's guide.

Well thats great, how does this apply to folks with earlier year RT's (2011) that live in hotter climates? It is easily above 85 in Arizona 10 months out of the year.

I can show numerous pic's of the burns on the inside of the wife's legs from the heat coming from under the seat area from running at freeway speeds.

Is there anything in the works to resolve heat issues in Pre-2013 models?

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 08:43 AM
I am severely disappointed that with all of the heat related issues with the 2013 ST's we weren't included. Guess we have to wait for the ST's to start catching fire before you will do something about it!
:shocked::hun: Where have you been hiding? The 2013 STs were the FIRST ones to have this issue addressed...
Did you forget about the new bodywork, and ECM re-flashes? :banghead:

WA5VHU
02-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Well thats great, how does this apply to folks with earlier year RT's (2011) that live in hotter climates? It is easily above 85 in Arizona 10 months out of the year.

I can show numerous pic's of the burns on the inside of the wife's legs from the heat coming from under the seat area from running at freeway speeds.

Is there anything in the works to resolve heat issues in Pre-2013 models?

Yes there is a resolution for Pre-2013 models. BRP's dealers will happily sell you a model that was designed and built correctly, a 2014 or later model. :banghead:

jcthorne
02-19-2015, 09:14 AM

We are a LONG way past IF. Just because you have not noticed the problem does not mean it does not exist. BRP and the NHTSA have investigated and determined there IS A DESIGN FLAW. If you don't want the fix, its your choice but there is no longer a discussion of IF there is a flaw with the 2013 RTs.

jaherbst
02-19-2015, 09:21 AM
We are a LONG way past IF. Just because you have not noticed the problem does not mean it does not exist. BRP and the NHTSA have investigated and determined there IS A DESIGN FLAW. If you don't want the fix, its your choice but there is no longer a discussion of IF there is a flaw with the 2013 RTs.

Well said!

Jack

oldguyinTX
02-19-2015, 09:50 AM
As of 9:50 am Eastern time, the recall has not been posted on the NHTSA site.

finless
02-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Looks like pre-2013's we will continue to have to deal with the gas stink. It is well documented!

I can tell you what happens or at least happened to me.

Got my 2011 and had no gas stink problem.
Then the first summer I noticed boiling gas and stink on some hot days over 90F especially if I got stuck in traffic.
I do ride mine every day 64 miles round trip for my commute to work.

First time this happened it went away until the next time a hot day and traffic.
After a few times of this happening, now every time I ride it no matter what the temps of the day are and even if the gas tank is not boiling, I have gas stink when I park it REALLY BAD!

Bottom line what happens is after a few times of boiling gas the Evap canister gets saturated and cannot do it's job anymore.

So to fix it, you have to go to the dealer and get the purge valve checked/replaced if needed, and the Evap canister replaced UNDER WARRANTY!

That will fix you until the next few hot days and boiling gas happens and the Evap canister gets saturated again!

Then once your warranty runs out, you can argue the problem with your dealer about this is a constant problem and even though your warranty runs out, BRP needs to replace it free. Hopefully BRP will continue to do this after the warranty runs out but I doubt it. When that happens, time to do a canisterectomy. Oh which is illegal in some states to do (like Ca.).

So it appears us pre-2013 owner are stuck dealing with this under warranty, and then fighting it when out of warranty.

Bob

jcthorne
02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Looks like pre-2013's we will continue to have to deal with the gas stink. It is well documented!

So it appears us pre-2013 owner are stuck dealing with this under warranty, and then fighting it when out of warranty.

Bob

The emissions components warranty is much longer than the bike's 2yr warranty.

anthony422
02-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Spoke to BRP this morning they are supposed to email me what they plan to do with my bike I was told....I'll wait for that email

maliamd
02-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Spoke to BRP this morning they are supposed to email me what they plan to do with my bike I was told....I'll wait for that email

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::bbq::bbq::bbq:

SpyderAnn01
02-19-2015, 12:20 PM
:shocked::hun: Where have you been hiding? The 2013 STs were the FIRST ones to have this issue addressed...

But did they really FIX the issue?

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
I was only addressing the issue of the "forgotten" status of the ST...

But; I DO think that their corrective measures have been largely effective, and I base that opinion upon what I've read in here...

Raknid
02-19-2015, 04:01 PM
So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.

The silence does say a couple things. First, that BRP and the NHTSA are not looking into this gasoline fume issue. Secondly, by not even acknowledging the question I (and others) posed, it lends credence to what others have said - that they do not care. It is unfortunate that it may take a house fire, injury or death before the NHTSA and BRP acknowledge the problem and recommend a solution.

For those that will have resolution through the latest recall, and that thank BRP for 'stepping up', I do not believe it to be willingly or for altruistic reasons. They acted more so because their hand was forced with the threat of fines and penalties by the Canadian and US governments. I tried to keep an open mind but admit that I am disappointed and jaded now...

latony007
02-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi Steve,you never answered my last three emails about my not being able to ride my bike because of the heat on my feet and the fact that my wife would not ride with me because of the heat/safety issues.
Because of that I traded the furnace in for the F3 and took a $6000.00 loss not to mention the money I spent to get it to the point I could ride it .
Will the people who have lost time and money be compensated by BRP?
Gene T

Ok that is never going to happen. Second you must have some faith. The F3 has barely hit the streets, its certainly not been hot enough for anyone to report heat issues on it yet and who knows what other problems it could have. I hope there is no issues but after being screwed by the last one im surprised you were willing to take that kind of hit for another one. I do think its ridiculous not to address this problem will all the years/models
I just recently got my 2008 and have been noticing the gas smell when i return from a ride. At first i thought i was just imagining it but its definitely there, it has had all its recalls done but these posts have me concerned about riding it in the summer now as it can get pretty hot here. I have not had any heat issues so far with this but i have not ridden in heat yet. i almost burned my leg off on my brothers 2012 RT so i know what the heat issue is. I can tell you where this whole problem stems from.... Building and testing these models in Quebec where the temp never rises above 80, if they are lucky!

They should have sent one down to AZ or someplace for a year to be tested, if they had they would have noticed the fact you can get your damn leg burned off and the gas smell you would have to imagine. Well i hope this fix at least helps out the 13 guys who seem to have been the worst off.

scarecrow
02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
I am at a loss for words on the news that there is going to be a fix for the 2013 rt heat problem. Yes, We did own a 2013rts and did have all the problems that have been stated. My 13 did have the heat dissapation kit put on it as a try to fix the problem. It did not fix all the problems. After running the number of adding a new intake system and removing the Cat. along with the 3000 mile service we decided to trade it in. We were going to wait on the 2015's ,but with not that much differance between the 14 and the 15. We choose the 2014RTS instead. After taking a beating on the trade and throwing more money at it. We are very happy with our 2014RTS. Smoother, Quieter, and better Gas mileage.
For those of you who have stuck it out I hope the this is the fix to correct the problems.
For those of us that traded. I will always wonder if there was no heat problem. What would have been my trade-in really worth?????????

Ride Safe and Have Fun.

NM Wrench
02-19-2015, 05:16 PM
I have not been hiding! I have had the body panels replaced and ECM re-flashes done with hopes it would fix it. Sad to say it didn't! I refuse to spend more money on a new air cleaner and a cat delete to try again to make the heat problems go away when BRP should fix it. My wife won't even get on it anymore because of the heat problems and gas smell! Tried to trade it in on a F3 only to find out that in 9 months the value decreased 50% which made us upside down on it. So now we have a garage ornament!

wyliec
02-19-2015, 05:19 PM
I just recently got my 2008 and have been noticing the gas smell when i return from a ride. At first i thought i was just imagining it but its definitely there, it has had all its recalls done but these posts have me concerned about riding it in the summer now as it can get pretty hot here.

I have a 2008 which I purchased new. I used to get the gas smell; but, not all the time. BRP sent out replacement gas caps from model year 2008 to I don't know. Since the gas cap was replaced I've had no more gas smell. Of course, maybe not overfilling the gas tank causing spill over into the canister may have also stopped the problem, at least for me.

The only serious heat problem on my 2008 was almost burning my hand when touching the 'Y' panel (just ahead of the seat). On the 2008 and 2009 GS models, some Spyders had 'Y' gaskets that failed early, and that caused the 'Y' panel to heat up. As far as the heat on my right foot (in hot weather), it's bearable, and not a real issue to me.

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Raknid;937263]So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.
/QUOTE]
They started this thread to address the problems with the 2013 models. :banghead:

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 05:57 PM
I have not been hiding! I have had the body panels replaced and ECM re-flashes done with hopes it would fix it. Sad to say it didn't! I refuse to spend more money on a new air cleaner and a cat delete to try again to make the heat problems go away when BRP should fix it. My wife won't even get on it anymore because of the heat problems and gas smell! Tried to trade it in on a F3 only to find out that in 9 months the value decreased 50% which made us upside down on it. So now we have a garage ornament!
Well; you've got yourself a $20,000 or so dollar paper weight, and a Better-Half who won't be caught dead on it... :gaah:

...Why WOULDN'T you want to fix it?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102465&stc=1
Sorry... This is about the only conclusion that I can find. :shocked:

DrewNJ
02-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Well; you've got yourself a $20,000 or so dollar paper weight, and a Better-Half who won't be caught dead on it... :gaah:

I'm glad you finally said it. If I had said it I would have just been called names and saying I have a bad NJ attitude. ...[emoji12]

Jeriatric
02-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Denman...in any other post you'd have been peddling ice cream and cake by post 3.

Give the folks a break. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 06:04 PM
I guess that I'm just not having one of my best days right now... :shocked:

We've got somebody with an ST complaining in a thread started about a fix for RTs...
...And we've got a 2012 RT owner wanting answers in a thread started about 2013 models... :dontknow:
I'm just confused... :shocked:

By the way; it's "Bob"...

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm glad you finally said it. If I had said it I would have just been called names and saying I have a bad NJ attitude. ...[emoji12]
Wel; you DO have a bad New Jersey attitude... :thumbup:
And just wait until you see what they start calling me! :shocked:

DrewNJ
02-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Nothing to prove to anyone and no need to feel liked.....I just call it as it is....and a lot of people need thicker skin.....especially on the forums.
There's a LOT of whining that goes on here....much more than most other forums.
Anyway-

Raknid
02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Raknid;937263]So, I directly and respectfully asked @BRPcare twice in this thread about the gas fume issue and my 2012. Sadly, it looks like BRP is going to ignore my question and safety concern.
/QUOTE]
They started this thread to address the problems with the 2013 models. :banghead:

Yes... but we were all encouraged to contact the NHSTA and log issues, regardless of year, as all heat and fire concerns were being looked at. I even phoned the agency and they requested all years. I am sorry mine did not fit in the box... and happy that you are not affected.... but I still have real issue, Bob.

Bob Denman
02-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Oh; I believe that your bike has an issue with fumes.
But why? :dontknow:
Is your evaporative canister getting raw fuel in it?
do you have a problem with boiling fuel?
Did you overfill the tank?

There ARE things that can be done to solve the problem... :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-19-2015, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;937295]

Yes... but we were all encouraged to contact the NHSTA and log issues, regardless of year, as all heat and fire concerns were being looked at. I even phoned the agency and they requested all years. I am sorry mine did not fit in the box... and happy that you are not affected.... but I still have real issue, Bob.

I spoke at length with the NHTSA and they were definitely looking at gas fumes on all model years.

jaherbst
02-19-2015, 09:44 PM

A little harsh don't ya think Bob. These are real problems. Try to remember what it was like prior to your 2014.:ani29:

Jack

finless
02-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Oh; I believe that your bike has an issue with fumes.
But why? :dontknow:
Is your evaporative canister getting raw fuel in it?
do you have a problem with boiling fuel?
Did you overfill the tank?

There ARE things that can be done to solve the problem... :thumbup:

Really Bob..... This fume issue has been posted here for YEARS.... It is a WELL KNOWN ISSUE!

No offense dude but because you have a 14 now all your whining from the past doesn't matter?

Kind of pisses me off...

And you admit your not a technical guy so why even post unless your best approach is to piss off other people...

Sorry your right! "this is not your best day". Personally..... shut the hell up! We don't need the post whore to tell us what we all already know damn it....

Your not helping BOB! Time to BACK OFF....

Yes Cruzr Joe... I need a snickers bar!

Bob

finless
02-19-2015, 10:41 PM
OK I am calm now..... Bob seriously... you have no dog any longer in this fight so it "might be in your best interest" to not piss people off by commenting now. My opinion but do what you want.

Look, all RT's since day one have had a fuel fume problem. Look back here on SL here and you will see it posted many many times.
Talk about over filling the gas tank and all that BS... In the end it's ALL BS.....

In the end the Evap canister system and heat to the gas tank is FLAWED!
The 2013's just brought the issue to a HEAD due to even higher heat issues!
The root issue is GAS FUMES caused by the boiling gas tanks thus causing the Evap canister to become saturated and eventually the fumes cause a FIRE!

This is not rocket science...

So previous years prior to the 2013, did not cause as many Spyders to BURN UP... TRUST some did! I can show videos and reports of pre-2103's burning up!
In the end, they were FEW. Thus it did not get the attention of the NHTSA.

ALL YEAR MODELS in my opinion have the same ROOT CAUSE ISSUE....
Because we have less heat issues than the 2013, less chance of a fire, BUT IN THE END the cause of the fires are in fact a flawed problem with a boiling gas tanks and a ALWAYS failing evap canister CAUSING FUMES which can cause a fire!!!!!

Trust, my 14K service is coming up and I WILL be demanding my emissions problems be fixed! I will also want it fully documented so a year from now when my extended warranty is over, when this comes back again, WHICH IT WILL, I want it covered. I bet if I point this issue out to the EPA of the state of California.... It will get some attention... Well that is a route I will take if I have to.
I actually have a friend that works for the EPA that might be interested in this issue as a "pollutant vehicle". But I won't go there yet...

Bottom line... I do not mind if when my Evap canister gets saturated AGAIN after replacement by the dealer, that it gets replaced AGAIN and AGAIN over the life of my ownership. As long as that is done, I will be happy.

Damn.... I love my spyder and will ride it until it's done... But the gas fume issue is really a BAD issue and a "PANTY STAIN" on BRP's Spyder line....

I am a happy owner except for the gas STINK issue....

BRP should really FIX THIS ISSUE for all Spyder owners and not just fix it for the 2013's because the NHTSA told them they have to....

OK time to have a Snickers bar ;)

Bob

DrewNJ
02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Just FYI-
According to the parts list
2012 RT and RS frames are the same. (But different than 2013, 2014)
2013 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2014)
2014 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2013)

All the frames from 2012-2014 are different from year to year but are the same for each model of that same year.

The RT heat issue is NOT a frame issue.

spacetiger
02-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I probably should have posted my heat solution; it has worked well, cost $35, and was not too difficult to do.

I bought a product called Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket 1" x 24" x 36" for $35 including shipping (eBay). The stuff is rated to 2400 degrees F and easy to work with (cuts with scissors). Because it is 1" thick, you can wrap the exhaust pipes with a 10" width. Just cut lengths, wrap the pipes, then hold in place with SS straps (used to hold exhaust wrap). The thickness of the wrap really contains the heat well.

By containing the heat within the pipes, it isn't allowed to radiate the heat outwards then allow air flow to take the heat all throughout the body of the bike. The bike was not really designed to shed heat that is "dumped" inside the body panels. Many of the solutions included opening up holes to get the heated air out, That just doesn't work from a efficiency standpoint. It is far better to not let the heat build up. The exhaust wrap or ceramic option requires some time and/or $$'s.

If I had to bet, I'm guessing the BRP fix will be something like the Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket.
1. Take off left/right side panels.
2. cut from 10" width roll the length you need with scissors
3. wrap the pipe, then hold in place with 2 SS straps.
4. move to next pipe and repeat steps 2 & 3 until all pipes are done.
5. I had leftover pieces that I put between the wrapped pipe and the gas tank. That gave me 2" of insulation material between pipe and tank.
4. Put panels back on.

You can do a bike for ~$100-150 - and that includes labor.

I took several pics while the panels were off working on the rear shock....but I forgot the memory card so I don't have any pics. :banghead: Next time I have the panels off, I'll post pics.

The gas fume is systom not the problem. There are other systoms... of the one problem all pre 2014 Spyders have; the plumbing of the exhaust system within the body allows the exhaust system to dump a LOT of heat within the body.

Jerry

Pirate looks at --
02-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Really Bob..... This fume issue has been posted here for YEARS.... It is a WELL KNOWN ISSUE!

No offense dude but because you have a 14 now all your whining from the past doesn't matter?

Kind of pisses me off...

And you admit your not a technical guy so why even post unless your best approach is to piss off other people...

Sorry your right! "this is not your best day". Personally..... shut the hell up! We don't need the post whore to tell us what we all already know damn it....

Your not helping BOB! Time to BACK OFF....

Yes Cruzr Joe... I need a snickers bar!

Bob
Well at least Bob didn't resort to vulgarities! Talk about shut up. We can disagree without calling names. Really no need to bring the discussion down to Junior High School levels. Oh, and the meaculpa was not too sincere either. Really uncalled for:lecturef_smilie: in a forum like this.

jaherbst
02-20-2015, 12:36 AM
Just FYI-
According to the parts list
2012 RT and RS frames are the same. (But different than 2013, 2014)
2013 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2014)
2014 RT, ST, RS frames are the same. (But different than 2012, 2013)

All the frames from 2012-2014 are different from year to year but are the same for each model of that same year.

The RT heat issue is NOT a frame issue.

"Absolutely no information on you in your profile DrewNJ. Fill it in. What are you hiding from. What do you ride? "All frames are different but the same"?? Exactly what does that mean? Do you or have you ever owned a 2013 RT? I have.

All frames are different but the same??? I can assure you the 2013 frame was designed for the 1330 engine/transmission and hastily adapted in reverse for the 998 as per BRP when the 1330 was not available in time. 2013 was supposed to be the year with the big change. OOOPS! Mounts for the 998 were added and several other changes were made to adapt the frame to the 998. Study that parts list a little more carefully and you should see that.

We have a lot of strong opinions here from people who do not own and never have owned a 2013 RT, which as Steve M. from BRP stated this thread is about. Lets stay on subject here and if you have never walked in these Moccasins perhaps restrain your comments for a place more suitable.

Jack

DrewNJ
02-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Jack, maybe you should do a little homework and look up the part numbers for the frames yourself before you act like an ass.
Further, I don't feel the need to create a resume in my profile like others. If you don't like or believe the info I post, then simply ignore it.

Saluda
02-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Don't some of our Spyders already generate enough heat without going off at each other ??

Raknid
02-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Post like this is why I stay away from here.....I have close to $30k invested in a 2 year old bike that is worth about half of that.....we have tried many things to fix the heat.....it is about 80% gone...the air flow panels and ecm flash helped a lot.....but...it is not 100%....NM Wrench I'm right there with you....I guess you can call me a whiner

Agreed. This is a complex issue which appears to involve heat, evap canister, boiling fuel, etc. To suggest the customer find the solution -otherwise whining - is just an ignorant and rude. BRP has the engineers who designed the vehicle and are best suited for a solution. I have my own job and family to take care of and am not an engineer.

And, Bob, I do not owe you an explanation of what I have done to the bike but I do not overfill the tank and the RT had had service related to the problem.

DrewNJ
02-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Post like this is why I stay away from here.....I have close to $30k invested in a 2 year old bike that is worth about half of that.....we have tried many things to fix the heat.....it is about 80% gone...the air flow panels and ecm flash helped a lot.....but...it is not 100%....NM Wrench I'm right there with you....I guess you can call me a whiner
It's likely the best it will get. The v990 (brp calls it a 998) is notorious for being a hot running motor. This goes well back into the Aprilia bikes (I'm super familiar with this). it is not uncommon for those riders to report heat and many even shut down during heavy traffic.

Bob Denman
02-20-2015, 08:00 AM
:shocked: Well; I suppose that I've kicked over the can of worms now... :opps:
Gas fumes have been discussed at length in here for years... nojoke
I never had any trouble with this issue with my 2010, but it might have an awful lot to do with how I ride my bikes...
As you ALL know; we've got a nice-sized producer of heat hidden completely under a nice insulating layer of Tupperware... :yikes:
The bikes really need to have their noses pointed into the wind, and set free! :thumbup: Stop and go traffic conditions in decently warm weather points up a problem....
We don't have the traffic conditions up here, that'll bring this to the forefront.
I have NEVER denied the existence of the problem; I just questioned the source of it...
There's not a doubt in my mind that some folks have overfilled their fuel tanks. I ALSO believe that boiling fuel is most likely the major player in this battle.
So; how do you fix this? :dontknow:
Saying that BRP "Woulda Shoulda Coulda" done this or that; solves nothing!
I have always taken an active role in encouraging the folks who are solving this problem; I defy ANYONE to find even a single post of mine that doesn't encourage folks to roll up their sleeves, and do what is necessary to get their bikes back on the road...

"Shut the Hell up" Really? :D

oldguyinTX
02-20-2015, 08:01 AM
Come on, everybody just grow up!! You guys want to duke it out, take to that "other" forum.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102478&stc=1

jcthorne
02-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Just for the sake of explaination, yes the 2013 frame, suspension etc was a complete redesign and was supposed to get the 1330 engine. The 2013 shares well over 90% of the same body, suspension and frame design with the 2014. Just not the frunk, dual radiators and engine mounts.

Yes the 2013 frame is a one year part number but its nearly identical to the 2014 except for a few weleded on mounting points.

The trouble is that the redesign in 2013, coupled with the 998 engine resulted in a heat build up problem that is both uncomfortable and exaserbated an already bad gas fume issue.

So it may not be the FRAME itself in the 2013 that is really the issue, its the overall redesign of the engine bay and body work, suspension reconfiguration, battery relocation etc for 2013 that went with the upgrades. Its a hybrid that did not work well. We were sold a step child without warning and just want BRP to own up to the defective design and fix them or buy them back. And I mean fix them 100%. No excuses accepted.

I for one would be happy to drop my 2013 off at the dealer and pickup a 2014 or 15 and only pay the difference in MSRP. That's all I should be out for the upgrade. Anything more than that is loss of value that is BRPs fault for selling a defective design and the market knows it. As bad as trade values for 13s were recently, I'd bet once that letter gets to the dealers not one would touch a 13 for inventory. How could they hope to sell it until May? No, we 13 owners are stuck and BRP should be held accountable.

BRP - Admit the mistake, take your lumps, pay up and move on as reputable company rather than continue to deny, deny deny and ignore.

oldguyinTX
02-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Just for the sake of explaination, yes the 2013 frame, suspension etc was a complete redesign and was supposed to get the 1330 engine. The 2013 shares well over 90% of the same body, suspension and frame design with the 2014. Just not the frunk, dual radiators and engine mounts.

Yes the 2013 frame is a one year part number but its nearly identical to the 2014 except for a few weleded on mounting points.

The trouble is that the redesign in 2013, coupled with the 998 engine resulted in a heat build up problem that is both uncomfortable and exaserbated an already bad gas fume issue.

So it may not be the FRAME itself in the 2013 that is really the issue, its the overall redesign of the engine bay and body work, suspension reconfiguration, battery relocation etc for 2013 that went with the upgrades. Its a hybrid that did not work well. We were sold a step child without warning and just want BRP to own up to the defective design and fix them or buy them back. And I mean fix them 100%. No excuses accepted.

I for one would be happy to drop my 2013 off at the dealer and pickup a 2014 or 15 and only pay the difference in MSRP. That's all I should be out for the upgrade. Anything more than that is loss of value that is BRPs fault for selling a defective design and the market knows it. As bad as trade values for 13s were recently, I'd bet once that letter gets to the dealers not one would touch a 13 for inventory. How could they hope to sell it until May? No, we 13 owners are stuck and BRP should be held accountable.

BRP - Admit the mistake, take your lumps, pay up and move on as reputable company rather than continue to deny, deny deny and ignore.

:agree:

Bob Denman
02-20-2015, 08:51 AM
I'll throw another :agree: on the pile...

Pirate looks at --
02-20-2015, 09:04 AM
I agree sort of......but I think that we all know that BRP isn't going to give everybody a 2014, but we can hope that the fix will be a good one, and if it is I would expect that there would be some recouping of value on the 2013 once it is fixed. So let's wait and see what they "cook" up!:roflblack:

jaherbst
02-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Jack, maybe you should do a little homework and look up the part numbers for the frames yourself before you act like an ass.
Further, I don't feel the need to create a resume in my profile like others. If you don't like or believe the info I post, then simply ignore it.

Sure the part numbers are different because they had to reverse adapt it to the 998 and weld on new engine mounts. So my question remains do you or have you ever owned a 2013 RT??

By the way, name calling only shows YOU up for what you are. Maybe that's why you have an empty profile

Jack

MouthPiece
02-20-2015, 09:20 AM
May I assume, I know I know I'm not supposed to do that, but may I assume that the heat issue is the only thing which has apparently deflated the value of the "13"s?

I'm asking because I have a 13 and its handling and riding is far superior to the "10's through 12's", in my opinion. That leads me to believe that the heat issue is the only thing that could have deflated the value.

Chris

Bob Denman
02-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Well; the new engine and transmission combination isn't helping you at all... :shocked:

jcthorne
02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
May I assume, I know I know I'm not supposed to do that, but may I assume that the heat issue is the only thing which has apparently deflated the value of the "13"s?

I'm asking because I have a 13 and its handling and riding is far superior to the "10's through 12's", in my opinion. That leads me to believe that the heat issue is the only thing that could have deflated the value.

Chris

Yes, the suspension, brakes and other changes for 13 were indeed upgrades. They just got overshadowed by a defective design engine bay that runs so hot its dangerous to ride and boils gasoline to the point the vapors expel and catch fire.

All of the suspension and other upgrades for 13 were carried on to 14 except the electric trunk release that became an option.

If the heat problems can be solved, and thats a big if, the 13s would be great riding and driving bikes. Nearly as good as the 14s and a big step up from 10 thru 12s. The power curve will still be different but the handling is nearly identical with the 13 being a bit lighter.

copilot
02-20-2015, 09:59 AM
The part numbers are different because one is a 2013 and the one everyone is comparing it to is a 2014.
Your so called part number thing doesn't hold water. The mirrors on the 2013 has a different clip that is 2013 only. Why all the crying I understand after all this is why I am doing a cat delete. Do you really think I spent 407.00 on a piece of stainless exhaust pipe because it looks cool?
If BP wants to half as fix my problem I will accept whatever is offered
I myself would like BP install the 2014 frank with the radiators up front and fix that awful gas problem so people don't think it's going to blow up!

Jeriatric
02-20-2015, 10:13 AM
As has been long said, the 13's and their heat issues took the light off prior years heat issues (boiling fuel etc.). As we all know, instead of getting better as many were lead to believe(by the first to test ride the '13's). The heat condition was made worse. So much for the credibility of those who reported there was no longer an issue with heat. It took some time but it eventually came out that those test rides were in cold weather conditions. Really!

It stands to reason NHTSA would put repair of the '13's first on the list to be corrected. They are cooking off at the highest rate.

At some point NHTSA will release their findings and repair requirements (if any) for pre '13 years.

All of us love our spyders or we would not have invested the 25 to 50K plus in them.

Wanting what we paid for(a world class touring machine) is not unreasonable.

How we have been treated by BRP. Well, in my world. When it come to the heat issue...we have been ignored for the most part.

Until now.

Just the facts.

Dan McNally
02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Man, take a few days off, and everyone gets in a fight!

Just some observations:

. . . a motorcycle isn't and investment unless you are buying a vintage Indian or Harley . . . you will lose money on it, just like on a car. Depreciation lives.

. . . I've ridden over 10,000 miles on my 2013 RT LTD . . . lots of problems in the first 3,000 miles, but not so many since the flash update to the ECM . . . but I do worry about what all that trapped heat has done to rubber under the Tupperware . . .

. . . I'm leaving on 16 April to ride from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to Tucson AZ, and back, with a side trip to see the Grand Canyon and whatever else we decide are "must see" places along the way.

. . . in preparation for the trip, I am having the 14,000 mile service done, having the plug wires and all the rubber hoses replaced . . . perhaps some or all of that would be done by BRP in May, with the recall, but I'm getting on in years, have an opportunity for an epic ride, and the opportunity may never come up, again, so I'm going. I might be dead before I get another chance.

. . . nothing in life is perfect, but if you allow righteous indignation and anger to eat you up, life ain't very happy. I fully expect BRP will make things right for 2013 owners . . . but I've been disappointed in life, before . . . and will probably be, again . . . but that isn't going to make me bitter and miserable . . . I'll roll with the punches and keep on being happy.

. . . trying to guess what BRP is going to do to resolve the heat issues makes no sense unless one is a psychic . . .

Let's stop criticizing each other for having opinions . . . everyone is entitled to have their own. nojoke

CHILL! (please)

cuznjohn
02-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Just some observations:

. . . a motorcycle isn't and investment unless you are buying a vintage Indian or Harley . . . you will lose money on it, just like on a car. Depreciation lives.

. . . I've ridden over 10,000 miles on my 2013 RT LTD . . . lots of problems in the first 3,000 miles, but not so many since the flash update to the ECM . . . but I do worry about what all that trapped heat has done to rubber under the Tupperware . . .

. . . I'm leaving on 16 April to ride from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to Tucson AZ, and back, with a side trip to see the Grand Canyon and whatever else we decide are "must see" places along the way.

. . . in preparation for the trip, I am having the 14,000 mile service done, having the plug wires and all the rubber hoses replaced . . . perhaps some or all of that would be done by BRP in May, with the recall, but I'm getting on in years, have an opportunity for an epic ride, and the opportunity may never come up, again, so I'm going. I might be dead before I get another chance.

. . . nothing in life is perfect, but if you allow righteous indignation and anger to eat you up, life ain't very happy. I fully expect BRP will make things right for 2013 owners . . . but I've been disappointed in life, before . . . and will probably be, again . . . but that isn't going to make me bitter and miserable . . . I'll roll with the punches and keep on being happy.

. . . trying to guess what BRP is going to do to resolve the heat issues makes no sense unless one is a psychic . . .

Let's stop criticizing each other for having opinions . . . everyone is entitled to have their own. nojoke

CHILL! (please)

i have to agree with you, i am amazed how a post can turn people against each other. i really hope you enjoy your trip. there were a couple of posts here that i could of used the dislike button on, but i decided to not do it. it really baffles me why some bikes have major heat issues and some don't. my main question is will the bikes that are fine soon become a bike with a problem.

Magdave
02-20-2015, 12:10 PM
IMHO the only REAL fix for the 2013 is to put the 1330 engine and frunk on it that the frame was designed for and call it a day. I am sure the motor mount issue added for the 998 can be resolved to allow it. Anything else is a band aid on a sore. Unfortunately that is an expensive proposition for BRP. They tried a nickel and dime trial solution and enlisted test pilots that reported little if any difference. I have been a test pilot form the day I bought mine and have made some progress but bottom line is 85+ days stuck in beach traffic is a problem for it. Even at this point they come out with a mea culpa and still have no solution. Has anyone ever seen a pre recall letter sent out on any vehicle before stating we will be recalling but do not have a fix and hope to have one 3 or 4 months from now? This is simply bizarre and I think it is an appeasement to NHTSA to stall. Put the right engine on the frame or buy it back( an even more expensive solution). BMW did it. And I was laughed at and made fun of for putting a diaper under my engine to prove gas was dripping from the EVAP tube quite a while back. SHAME on ALL of you that piled on me at that post. In the end I have been proven right as much as I really did not want to be. The quote I remember was "anyone who puts a diaper under their Spyder does not deserve to have one." I will never forget that thread and the fanboys who piled on some of them are posting in this thread:gaah:.

P.S.
Steve you can contact me at anytime via PM to discuss what would make me happy and I will give you my vin so you can look up the complaints and work I had the dealer do to alleviate as much heat as I could. You never responded to any of my PMs so I don't expect much at this point.

DrewNJ
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Jack, please put me on ignore. I would not want you to stroke out on us because I feel no need to try to impress you with a resume in my profile.....seriously.

I had a 2013 RT on loaner at the end of 12'. I've ridden 2 others since. I have no interest in the RT. But do have an interest in the ST an RS.....which share the same frame.

I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]

JKMSPYDER
02-20-2015, 12:55 PM
What baffles me is that not all of the '13 ST's and RT's have a serious heat issue. Case in point; I own a '13 ST-S and have never had boiling gas, gas fumes, or gas dripping from the canister. I did have some moderate heat issues with Tupperware being quite warm but not hot. This was solved by wrapping the pipes and using reflective heat tape on the inside of my panels. I also have a friend that owns a '13 RT LTD and he says he has had zero heat issues. He lives north of Atlanta and it easily gets into the 90's in the summer.

The only things in common with other 2013 ST and RT owners is the frames are the same and I assume they were all assembled at the same factory. Very perplexing!!!:dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Do you spend much time in "Stop & Go" traffic, or are you pretty much out on the open road? :dontknow:

cuznjohn
02-20-2015, 01:03 PM
What baffles me is that not all of the '13 ST's and RT's have a serious heat issue. Case in point; I own a '13 ST-S and have never had boiling gas, gas fumes, or gas dripping from the canister. I did have some moderate heat issues with Tupperware being quite warm but not hot. This was solved by wrapping the pipes and using reflective heat tape on the inside of my panels. I also have a friend that owns a '13 RT LTD and he says he has had zero heat issues. He lives north of Atlanta and it easily gets into the 90's in the summer.

The only things in common with other 2013 ST and RT owners is the frames are the same and I assume they were all assembled at the same factory. Very perplexing!!!:dontknow:

i don't understand it either, what i was trying to say earlier about some bikes have it and some don't is that people have different heat level tolerances. the person i sold my 13rt to can ride the bike and tolerate the heat that i couldn't. my concern is for the people that have a 13 that they can ride but the heat will eventually do it's damage on interior parts of the engine compartment. so will they be responsible for the costs when parts go bad

anthony422
02-20-2015, 01:06 PM
I just received the BRP Dealer bulletin... its is an interim notice where BRP through the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle safety act, that BRP acknowledges there is a defect that relates to heat on certain can am roadster models. The bulletin states there are parts to be installed not available til may. What they plan on doing will come in a non interim bulletin to follow....what can I say except we kicked the ball and now its starting to roll..... Im thinking it will be a fix that may not make sense, so hopefully its meaningful... Engine swap, don't count on it, this fix will be done with the least amount of resistance

cuznjohn
02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
I just received the BRP Dealer bulletin... its is an interim notice where BRP through the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle safety act, that BRP acknowledges there is a defect that relates to heat on certain can am roadster models. The bulletin states there are parts to be installed not available til may. What they plan on doing will come in a non interim bulletin to follow....what can I say except we kicked the ball and now its starting to roll..... Im thinking it will be a fix that may not make sense, so hopefully its meaningful... Engine swap, don't count on it, this fix will be done with the least amount of resistance

might be a reversing fan, all i can think of

Dan McNally
02-20-2015, 02:17 PM
might be a reversing fan, all i can think of

A reverse fan just solves the hot foot issue - although, that can be very serious. I've come home and found burns on the inside of my right calf, a little above my ankle . . . the problem with heat buildup and retention under the Tupperware is the issue I think they are trying to resolve, although they may be looking at both.

An air filter like the one JThornton sells, to allow more airflow, a cat delete and a replacement muffler with the CAT out from under the Tupperware seems like a possible solution . . . that CAT, sitting underneath everything generates some serious heat that doesn't get dissipated, easily . . . the inside of the Tupperware acts like an oven.

I'm hoping this issue gets resolved, this year, because I have a lot more miles I plan to ride before the dirt nap, and, as a retiree, I don't have the cash to upgrade to a newer Spyder, when this one isn't two years old, yet.

anthony422
02-20-2015, 02:26 PM
guessing they will be figuring out how to flush out the cavity, thermostat and a few fans....who knows, reversing fan resolves a whole different issue

oldgoat
02-20-2015, 02:55 PM

Just some observations:

CHILL! (please)

Have a great trip. I'm drooling over it.

I'm one. for whatever reasons, who has left it too late for a trip of that magnitude. I take my hat off to you for doing the preventative maintenance before you go. A sensible thing to do.

Magdave
02-20-2015, 03:00 PM
guessing they will be figuring out how to flush out the cavity, thermostat and a few fans....who knows, reversing fan resolves a whole different issue

Reversing fan will help a little it will alleviate the heat build up that is transmitted through the plastic swoop at stop and fan blowing. That said it won't help very much.:dontknow:

TXSHOTGUN
02-20-2015, 04:23 PM
My 2013 rd has a oil leak. After I put on JT air kit, I was able to clean the engine and have located the leak. It is leaking out the Stator wire harness that plugs in on the lower support beam, in front of the engine. It is not leaking where the gromet goes into the crank case, but it is dripping at the where it plugs in. IMHO, Big ole Fire hazard!!! She is going to the shop in the morning.

scarecrow
02-20-2015, 04:56 PM
The reversing fan does work to keep the heat off the foot. It was done to my 13rts. Still there is a lot of heat under the tupperware that keeps the front part of the seat hot. The gas fumes are still strong. Why not add a larger radiator and also a a fan to the oil cooler?

jcthorne
02-20-2015, 05:18 PM
The fan on the oil cooler was an idea I had planned to try myself and never got round to it. It has merit.

I think they will do the reversing fan. It helps comfort and folks like it. And its pretty cheap while they are doing other items.

I do think the recall will involve body panels like was done on the ST to flow air through the engine bay. Perhaps with more or better insulation where the driver contacts the body.

Seriously doubt they will do anything about the gas tank or specifically for the fumes issue in this recall. By the way its worded, this one is for heat only. Emissions comes later as it was very much part of the NHTSA investigation. Lowering the under hood temps will help that cause though.

oldgoat
02-20-2015, 05:48 PM
The fan on the oil cooler was an idea I had planned to try myself and never got round to it. It has merit.

I think they will do the reversing fan. It helps comfort and folks like it. And its pretty cheap while they are doing other items.

I do think the recall will involve body panels like was done on the ST to flow air through the engine bay. Perhaps with more or better insulation where the driver contacts the body.

Seriously doubt they will do anything about the gas tank or specifically for the fumes issue in this recall. By the way its worded, this one is for heat only. Emissions comes later as it was very much part of the NHTSA investigation. Lowering the under hood temps will help that cause though.

In the pics that keep changing along the top of the forum page is one of Lamont's 2008/2009 GS, RS. He had a cooling fan on the oil cooler. I thought it might have been standard, but mine doesn't have one

DrewNJ
02-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Anyone taken any oil temps first? The oil cooler isn't that big. I can't imagine a fan similar in size to do much, if anything.

SpyderAnn01
02-20-2015, 06:04 PM
I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]

Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.

DrewNJ
02-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.
Sorry you feel that way Ann. Honestly, it is what it is. However, we all make poor decisions sometimes. Most times those poor decisions are unintentional, but are hard ones to digest once we realize we wouldn't have made that same choice again.
For some people its easier to admit and move on, Others are more stubborn and decide to dig their heels in the sand.
Yes, it was a "choice" to buy what they did. Is it right things turned out the way they did? No. But its the way life is dealt to us sometimes.....

Personally, life is to short, if I would have bought one of those problematic machines, I would have either made it right on my own dime, or dumped it and moved on. I've been there with other powersports/hobbies. My wife reminds me periodically...[emoji57]
For some its harder because its a big blow to our pride (especially the male pride/ego....again, been there [emoji38] ) and for others they paid a big premium when they purchased so they are SO upside down in it......easy to end up upside down with a big dollar RT.
Have a good evening Ann.

jaherbst
02-20-2015, 10:29 PM

If anyone knows about the heat of a 2013 RT,.Ann does. Too bad those who never owned one or had money tied up in one try's to be the know it all expert on the subject.

Jack

oldguyinTX
02-20-2015, 10:38 PM
This thread is not about pissing matches between anyone, it was started by BRP to provide us, Spyder Owners, with information that is relevant to the Spyders that a lot of us own. All of you folks (no names) who are using this thread to rant and rave, make personal attacks, and generally denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with you need to take a break and take your vitriol somewhere else. There has been enough of it on this forum already. If you feel like you have to knock people down, do it somewhere else. Got my fire suit on, so if you want to blast me, be my guest. Or, put me on "ignore". Whatever floats your boat.

vided
02-21-2015, 07:58 AM

:agree: so far i've had no fumes or burnt legs. every once in awhile i get a quick blast of heat on my right foot.

jcthorne
02-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Can we PLEASE keep this thread to the subject. 2013 Spyder RT heat issues.

Not other model years, not ST.

Next, there is no baffling quandary over why some 2013 RTs dont have heat issues.

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME DESIGN DEFECT
as stated by BRP and soon by NHTSA.

Yes, some owners do not perceive the issue, neither did the owners who's bikes burned to the ground. Its a design defect and applies to ALL 2013 RT models. (likely others too but not for discussion in this thread).

jaherbst
02-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Can we PLEASE keep this thread to the subject. 2013 Spyder RT heat issues.

Not other model years, not ST.

Next, there is no baffling quandary over why some 2013 RTs dont have heat issues.

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME DESIGN DEFECT
as stated by BRP and soon by NHTSA.

Yes, some owners do not perceive the issue, neither did the owners who's bikes burned to the ground. Its a design defect and applies to ALL 2013 RT models. (likely others too but not for discussion in this thread).

Amen! You said it correctly. There are heat/fume problems with other models and previous years but this thread is about the 2013 RT's. Please read the first post from BRP on this thread. Throwing in all the other years, models and problems or non problems only confuses the main issue.

garb55
02-21-2015, 11:49 AM
BRP does not post on this site very often
Could it be because every time the start a thread to give some info or inform everyone what is happening it becomes a crying thread for all the babies on this site
Go ahead and get mad at me because I know some of you will
Every complaint that is not even related to the topic of the thread is posted here
If some of you would grow up and be more constructive instead of crying we might have more help from BRP
Its ok to point out problems you are having and ask for help
But some people think that bad mouthing everything is the way to get what they want
In reality it usually works just the opposite

I do not have a 2013 so I can not comment on the heat problem
I had a 2008 GS [some heat but it is a motorcycle]
Now have a 2014 RT [still very slight heat in stop and go again its a motorcycle]

Thank Steve for the info and please ignore the negative posts
Don

finless
02-21-2015, 01:06 PM
The problem is this is not just a 2013 issue. While they are the worst, the issues with boiling gas and fumes are related to all RT's.
BRP is just doing the minimum to fix the 13's when in fact they should have a fix for all of them.
In fact from 2010 on, more non-13's burned up that 13's if you count up all the fires.

Remember what caused this investigation? Not just a 2013 burned up last year but also a Cop's Spyder which was not a 2013. That burn up got the attention of the NHTSA.

So tell me I am crying and whining but it's a fact.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
it really baffles me why some bikes have major heat issues and some don't. my main question is will the bikes that are fine soon become a bike with a problem.
Baffling question, to say the least. Does anyone know of any objective evidence that shows how the heat problem varies from one 2013 RT to the next? There's no question there is a heat problem, but is one major factor individuals' tolerance levels or not? I have had very little heat problem with my 2013 RT, other than the hot foot issue. I fixed that with a block off and cutting a big hole in the plastic behind the fan, which strictly speaking, I really should not have had to do. When I installed Jim's bump skid plate, right after I started riding the bike, his instructions included a comment about removing the underneath splash guards to enhance air flow. That is probably one reason why I've never had an unbearable heat problem, but here again, strictly speaking, I should not have had to do that.

I have had very little gas smell problem after coming in from a ride, but there has been some. A good share of my summer riding is in 90°+ temps. Only one time that I can think of did I notice a real gas smell problem. I stopped to take some pictures and left the bike running. After about 5 or 10 minutes I could smell the fumes all the way across the two lane highway. I don't remember if I listened to hear if the gas was boiling.

I had the cat delete done when I was at Lamonster's BBQ last fall but mostly to see if it would increase mileage. Since it was late in the year and weather was cooling I can't say how much, if any, it helped with the heat issue.

As far as a fix, I would be happy to fork over a few grand, like maybe $2k or $3k or so, and have BRP change out the engine and tranny for the 1330 engine. The local tech said it's probably doable but there would be quite a few changes needed. The ECM, of course is different, and he said the VSS is different. Some of that maybe could be done with new firmware, but maybe not. I think there are some other differences but I don't know what they are.

SpyderAnn01
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Baffling question, to say the least. Does anyone know of any objective evidence that shows how the heat problem varies from one 2013 RT to the next? There's no question there is a heat problem, but is one major factor individuals' tolerance levels or not? I have had very little heat problem with my 2013 RT, other than the hot foot issue. I fixed that with a block off and cutting a big hole in the plastic behind the fan, which strictly speaking, I really should not have had to do. When I installed Jim's bump skid plate, right after I started riding the bike, his instructions included a comment about removing the underneath splash guards to enhance air flow. That is probably one reason why I've never had an unbearable heat problem, but here again, strictly speaking, I should not have had to do that.

I have had very little gas smell problem after coming in from a ride, but there has been some. A good share of my summer riding is in 90°+ temps. Only one time that I can think of did I notice a real gas smell problem. I stopped to take some pictures and left the bike running. After about 5 or 10 minutes I could smell the fumes all the way across the two lane highway. I don't remember if I listened to hear if the gas was boiling.

I had the cat delete done when I was at Lamonster's BBQ last fall but mostly to see if it would increase mileage. Since it was late in the year and weather was cooling I can't say how much, if any, it helped with the heat issue.

As far as a fix, I would be happy to fork over a few grand, like maybe $2k or $3k or so, and have BRP change out the engine and tranny for the 1330 engine. The local tech said it's probably doable but there would be quite a few changes needed. The ECM, of course is different, and he said the VSS is different. Some of that maybe could be done with new firmware, but maybe not. I think there are some other differences but I don't know what they are.

Mac, I didn't find my 2013 RT to be unbearably hot. It did have bad gas smell, probably due to the evap canister being full of fuel. Which was why it went up in flames.

jaherbst
02-22-2015, 10:19 AM
With 152 posts it appears this has become a "HOT TOPIC". (pun intended)

A lot of very concerned riders here as it should be. My hopes for all of you is a good outcome for everyone involved. I miss my Vivid Red 13 but certainly not the Gas fumes and heat. Even though I traded for a 14 I am with all of you till a satisfactory out come is reached. 75 in April and I did not feel I had 5-10 years left to see a good resolution to this very serious problem.

Jack

HIspyder
02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
I'm so glad I bought in last year, and I do feel for those who are experiencing these heat and gas fume issues.

Reminds me of my days as a Nissan Tech and the 87 - 88 Nissan Van.

What happens when you build a vehicle around an engine with no way for the hot air to escape? Recall after recall, the final one taking 13 hours to complete and inspection required by an indipendant inspector after the recall was completed. After that didn't work, Nissan offered to buy them all back. We drained all the fluids, removed the batteries, wheels and off they went to the bone yard on a flat bed. What a nightmare. :banghead:

spacetiger
02-22-2015, 12:36 PM
"What happens when you build a vehicle around an engine with no way for the hot air to escape?

I like this phrase, it is apropos

Jerry

STELLING MAN
02-22-2015, 03:04 PM
I've got a Viper Red 2013 :f_spider: I havn't had any gas smell but I do get a lot of heat so I will just hang on and let this play out and see what happenes..

BRPcare
02-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone,

The recall has now been posted on the NHTSA website (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action?referenceSearch.requ estId=44533&referenceSearch.urlCode=WSJPGKF2R33M6ML) for owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT vehicles in the United States. I've updated the original post; pasted below you'll find a copy of the letter being sent out to consumers.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL INTERIM NOTICE

Re: Can-Am® Spyder® Roadster RTTM 2013 – Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment

Dear Can-Am Spyder RT 2013 Owner,

This interim notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Acts. BRP has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain Can-Am roadster models. Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.

What is the potential problem?
Under very hot ambient conditions and low speed riding, the temperature in the engine compartment may rise and thereby increase the risk of a skin burn or a vehicle fire.

Which models are involved?
Can-Am Spyder RT roadster, model year 2013.

What BRP will do?
BRP intends to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). However, the parts required to provide a remedy to this condition are not currently available and will become available starting in May 2015. Nevertheless, we wanted to contact you as quickly as possible to inform you of this safety recall. BRP will contact you with another letter when the remedy is available in your area, instructing you to make an appointment with your BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer. Please understand that we will prioritize the hottest areas of the countries as parts become available.

What should you do until your vehicle is repaired?
You can keep using your vehicle while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first
Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your
earliest convenience.

For US residents only
If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov). If you are a vehicle lessor, federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Your continued satisfaction with your roadster is important to us. We have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle's proper operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience while we prepare the remedy for this condition. If you have questions or need assistance:

• Visit www.can-am.brp.com (http://www.can-am.brp.com)
• Or call: 1-888-272-9222, 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Eastern time Monday to Friday

Sincerely,
After-Sales Service Department

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can post them in this thread and I'll do my best to address them. Thanks again.

KennW
02-26-2015, 08:16 AM
BRPCare. You've stated that all's those affected will receive "written" notification by the end of February. Almost at the end of February now and to date haven't received any notification from BRP. My question Sir is does this written advice by BRP apply for 2013 RT Owners in USA and Canada or the owners of "all" 2013 RT Models world wide ?? Living in Australia where we constantly experience high ambient temperatures the heat I've experienced on numerous occasions is so bad that I'm simply unwilling to ride my RT on many, many occasions as I'm affray of it catching fire or my legs getting cooked. I always wear correct protective clothing but there has been several occasions where I've had extremely uncomfortable heat rash to my upper, inner thighs and right leg and foot. I find this so extremely disappointing after making such a major financial investment in a big boys toy. Having to limit my riding to days where the temperature of the day is not to hot ride my RT. Touring (which was the main reason for purchasing my RT) is completely out of the question due to these heat issues, just not prepared to travel to far from home. Thankfully BRP has finally admitted that there is not only an overheating issue but also a very real chance of the machine catching fire. SORRY have digressed. BRP are have now stated their intentions re looking after owners of 2013 RT's in Canada and the USA but what of those of us in Australia and come to think of it the rest of the world ?? Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia

BRPcare
02-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia

Hi KennW,

Thanks for asking - yes, in fact, this recall will apply to owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT model worldwide, including Australia. Once I have more information on how the recall will be deployed in other countries I'll let you know right away.

RBS66
02-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Hello Steve
Can you clarify this part of the recall.

For US residents only
If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (tel:888-327-4236) (TTY: 1-800-424-9153 (tel:1-800-424-9153)), or go to www.safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov/)

Thank you Rob

copilot
02-26-2015, 09:33 AM
I am patiently waking by the mail box in the snow.
I have made some improvements on my rtl and any help you can help with will be appreciated.

Magdave
02-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Hello Steve

For US residents only
If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (tel:888-327-4236) (TTY: 1-800-424-9153 (tel:1-800-424-9153)), or go to www.safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov/)

Thank you Rob
:roflblack: I doubt he will. I get the feeling that number will be called since the previous "fix" was a failure. How many years should we wait for a fix? JMHO. I still have not received the recall letter either. Good thing I am subscribed to NHTSA notifications via email. Now finding a dealer I can trust when the fix comes in is the problem. The only tech I trusted in SC quit last year and moved away.

BRPcare
02-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Hello Steve
For US residents only
Thank you Rob
Hi Rob,
This part of the text is self-explanatory and is a legal requirement in the United States. It's fairly standard on most recalls.

lenlis
02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
I purchased a BMW 2004 CL and had a great time on it. On a 24k checkup, the tech says - hey there is a recall on the frame as the kickstand is apt for failure. Made arrangements with dealer, bike was there for a few days, rcvd new frame with new style kickstand.... no issues... bike was 4 years old.
BMW took care of everything, and as always my dealer gave me a loaner for the time the CL was in the shop.

BRP take notice to BMW, I traded my CL and now own a K12LT (2009) and a spyder lt (2013). NO MODIFICATIONS TO SPYDER that interfere with any of the described issues that all of the owners have been describing...

BRP - needs to make this 100% correct--even if it is new everything to include engine etc... $30k for "toy for boy" it should be absolutely correct, or give me a new 2015 RT limited

AbNormy
02-26-2015, 01:25 PM
What about the 12s ? Constant fuel smell canister replaced once as well as cat removal and spyderpops block off plate still have to park a box fan in front of it for 20 mins before I can shut my garage door.

Bob Denman
02-26-2015, 01:30 PM
What about the 12s ? Constant fuel smell canister replaced once as well as cat removal and spyderpops block off plate still have to park a box fan in front of it for 20 mins before I can shut my garage door.
This thread was specifically started to address the serious issues with the 2013 model year RTs...
Try wrapping your header pipes, and re-fueling before heading for your garage. The additional cool fuel might help a bit. :thumbup:

latony007
02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
yes it appears everyone else with heat issues other that 2013 RT are screwed.

bruiser
02-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Motorcycle News report. See if you read what I read.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22083/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Model-Year-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Recall.aspx

ARtraveler
02-26-2015, 03:29 PM

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22083/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Model-Year-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Recall.aspx

Oh Yes! Thanks for the find.

100% of the units (2013 RT's (5165) are to be included in the recall. They mentioned this was a worldwide recall. They are waiting to get parts together and then the "fix" will be in.

I am saying this looks like very good news for the owners of the 2013 RT's.

Magdave
02-26-2015, 03:36 PM

The defect notice goes on to indicate that an investigation was opened by the NHTSA at the end of January 2015 and that, following those tests, BRP chose to initiate a worldwide recall on all 2013 RT models. There’s no mention of any customer complaints or injuries associated with the issue in the defect notice.

Whaaaat? Poor reporting at it's finest.

bruiser
02-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Yes Dave, that's what I was alluding to.

cuznjohn
02-26-2015, 04:14 PM
i am glad i don't have me 13 anymore. only because the wait would drive me nuts. some of my friends call me MR. NEGATIVE, only because if i can't fix a problem i feel no one else can. now when it comes to something engine wise or computer related on a car or bike, i have to leave it to the so called professionals. but when my bike was running right on a computer and they flashed the ecu and that didn't work i did my thing with all the vents and drilling holes and it was still hot. so i really hate to say it, but some will feel that what BRP is planing to do does work and some will not. SO THAN WHAT

jonnysevel
02-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I have a 2013 RTL and I am thrilled that this recall came out. While I haven't experienced extreme heat...maybe it is my perception... I am glad to see that BRP is taking this on. I have no idea what they might do but I am confident that they will come up with something that works.. Their feet are kinda held to the fire. Then maybe after the recall the resale value will creep back up...
jonny

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-26-2015, 09:59 PM
some of my friends call me MR. NEGATIVE, only because if i can't fix a problem i feel no one else can. ...........so i really hate to say it, but some will feel that what BRP is planing to do does work and some will not.
If everybody around me wasn't so negative, I wouldn't be so cynical! :gaah:

:D:D:D:D

Jeriatric
02-27-2015, 12:42 AM
85 degress is "very hot"? That's laughable for starters. Not tomention the NO complaints comment. :cus:

KennW
02-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Many thanks for your prompt reply Spyder Ann 01 & Hayfield. With perfect riding conditions, Autumn and Winter I'm certainly hoping my 2013 RT will have had the fixes done to ensure I'll still be able to continue riding through next summer.
Cheers
Kenn

arsquatch
02-27-2015, 10:27 AM
As an owner of a 2013 RT in California, I will be curious to see what the fix is going to be. Speculation is tough, but from reading the ODI website and all the associated documents, it seems like NHTSA is not looking at a band aid fix. If I read one of the letters right, they have to provide the defect information report to NHTSA as soon as it is finalized. So we will see what ends up happening in the coming weeks. I like everyone else is just hoping this solves the issue and we can get back to more important things, like riding....

jaherbst
02-27-2015, 05:11 PM
I've got a Viper Red 2013 :f_spider: I havn't had any gas smell but I do get a lot of heat so I will just hang on and let this play out and see what happenes..

Your Latitude is too high for your Attitude. You need to live further south where the temps are higher to get the gas smell and heat. Consider your self lucky. Ohio Is pretty much north of the real heat belt.

Jack

Bob Denman
02-27-2015, 06:12 PM
THAT's your problem; Jack... You just live where it's too warm... :shocked:
Come try out New York in January and February; I guarantee that you won't feel excessively warm... :D
If you'd like; I'd even be happy to let you stay at my house, and I'll come take care of yours... :thumbup:

Dan McNally
02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Many thanks for your prompt reply Spyder Ann 01 & Hayfield. With perfect riding conditions, Autumn and Winter I'm certainly hoping my 2013 RT will have had the fixes done to ensure I'll still be able to continue riding through next summer.
Cheers
Kenn

:hun:

jetmech
02-28-2015, 01:07 AM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
I assume this recall is for ALL 2013 RT/RTS/RTL models?

jetmech
02-28-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=12637!2854&md=SPYDER&fy=2012&ty=2015&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2015067&cf=SearchResult&pg=0); we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?77545-2013-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Safety-Recall-Elevated-Temperature-in-Engine-Compartment&p=940034&viewfull=1#post940034).] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
Does this recall effect ALL RT models?

MRH
02-28-2015, 02:30 AM
Does this recall effect ALL RT models?

All 2013 RT models.

mastertek2000
02-28-2015, 05:54 AM
Your Latitude is too high for your Attitude. You need to live further south where the temps are higher to get the gas smell and heat. Consider your self lucky. Ohio Is pretty much north of the real heat belt.

Jack

not so true jack i live in mas and get heat and fuel smell all the time if it above 80F

DrewNJ
02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Pretty sure it gets hot in OH during the summer.....lol.

jaherbst
02-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Come try out New York in January and February; I guarantee that you won't feel excessively warm... :D
If you'd like; I'd even be happy to let you stay at my house, and I'll come take care of yours... :thumbup:

No deal Bob, but anytime you get a craving for Cactus, Warm weather and Cold Beer you can always stay with us!:D

Jack

MRH
02-28-2015, 10:18 AM

I wonder if that's what happened here in the first place. The tests may have simply been done in colder weather, so nobody caught the issue and since the engine that was intended for that frame had more power nobody figured that the older engine would actually create more heat?

The only thing I know is that I run a business and no matter what I do something I didn't even see as a potential problem jumps up and bites me in the ass.

robmorg
03-01-2015, 04:07 PM
:agree: MRH, I think there is a good probability that your hypothesis concerning the extent of the problem with the 2013 RT is correct. Also, I've been watching posts on this topic for the past 16 months - as long as I've been on this forum. I have noticed that there is definitely a correlation between the severity of the heat complaint (and the related consequences), and how far south the poster is located (in North America). I believe that, with some exceptions, location probably has more to do than anything else about why some 2013 RT's seem to manifest the problem more than others.

yes it appears everyone else with heat issues other that 2013 RT are screwed.I think it's probably way to early to assume that. The NHTSA investigation is not yet complete. I take this "interim news" simply to mean that since the 2013 RT has the worst problem, it gets some initial attention. After the instigation is over and the paperwork complete, I expect there will be other recalls - including possibly another for the 2013 RT.

Roadster Renovations
03-01-2015, 05:02 PM

I found this. It is dated 2/26/15. Also, one member of our group says hers has been done and here is the picture.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102938&stc=1
I'm thinking maybe they used hers for the prototype? From the article, this will not help much at idle or low speed above 85 degrees unless they have a fan pushing/pulling air into those vents. i know my '14 RT blows air out the front with fans to cool it down. Might end up doing that.

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...

RBS66
03-01-2015, 06:26 PM

I found this. It is dated 2/26/15. Also, one member of our group says hers has been done and here is the picture.

I'm thinking maybe they used hers for the prototype? From the article, this will not help much at idle or low speed above 85 degrees unless they have a fan pushing/pulling air into those vents. i know my '14 RT blows air out the front with fans to cool it down. Might end up doing that.

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...

I just read the article you posted. I'm amazed there are so few units sold in 2013. Wow only
5165. You would think BRP would just do a buy back or return for a 2014.

(BRP estimates that 100% of the 5165 units included in the recall are affected by the issue.)

robmorg
03-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Gee, I sure hope this interim recall for the 2013's involves more than just adding two side air scoops. Also I'd like to see a wider picture of that to see how it looks on the bike. :sour:

mastertek2000
03-01-2015, 06:30 PM
that looks like a rs or st side photo the RT does not have quick release pins for the oil side panel

Bob Denman
03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
If one assumes a buy-back, with an average price of $28,000; that's over 144 million dollars! :shocked:

ARtraveler
03-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I wonder if that's what happened here in the first place. The tests may have simply been done in colder weather, so nobody caught the issue and since the engine that was intended for that frame had more power nobody figured that the older engine would actually create more heat?

The only thing I know is that I run a business and no matter what I do something I didn't even see as a potential problem jumps up and bites me in the ass.

I believe that the early test riders said they were test ridden in Canada. Not a great place to find heat issues.

DJFaninTN
03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
If one assumes a buy-back, with an average price of $28,000; that's over 144 million dollars! :shocked:

so what if they were willing to give you .... let's say $5k plus your bike for a 14. Would that work?? Seems to me that would cost them a lot less plus every owner should expect some deprecation.

jaherbst
03-01-2015, 06:53 PM
that looks like a rs or st side photo the RT does not have quick release pins for the oil side panel

Thats what it looks like to me also. Probably the new scoops that were developed 1-2 years ago for the rs and rt. Good catch.

Jack

cuznjohn
03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_vhYpR9xo

RBS66
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM

SERIOUSLY

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Unless that's part of the new side panel. That's what it looks like to me.

NautiBrit
03-01-2015, 07:53 PM
A friend of mine was part of a group recruited by BRP a couple of years ago to test ride Spyders on a race track just south of Phoenix in the summer heat. He didn't report any heat issues with bike, but got bored very quickly going round and round in circles. He could have been test riding a 2014 prototype, but I would guess that running the Spyder in hot conditions is part of the test procedure. They do, after all, make other vehicles that run winter and summer not just either/or.

Roadster Renovations
03-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Gee, I sure hope this interim recall for the 2013's involves more than just adding two side air scoops. Also I'd like to see a wider picture of that to see how it looks on the bike. :sour:
I'll ask her for some more pix and an exact on the bike!
She says the bike is a '13 STS...

ekfraz
03-01-2015, 08:19 PM
I would be ok with them trading my 2013 for a 2014.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2015, 08:48 PM
She says the bike is a '13 STS...
That answers it then. That is not the upcoming RT fix, at least as far as we know since BRP hasn't let the cat out of the bag yet about what the fix is.

SpyderAnn01
03-01-2015, 09:01 PM

I believe that the early test riders said they were tested in Canada. Not a great place to find heat issues.

The 2013s were tested by Spyder owners in Canada, I'm sure that BRP conducted testing at their site in Arizona also. I hope that they use the test site in the summer and not just in the winter. But who knows.

Roadster Renovations
03-02-2015, 06:04 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102947&stc=1

Here is a better picture of that panel...

MouthPiece
03-02-2015, 08:32 AM
My guess is that we'll know for sure in May.

Chris

jcthorne
03-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Guys, those photos of of the 2014 Spyder ST and the updated panels were made available to 13 ST model owners last year. Old news other than something similar may be in the works for the RT.

jcthorne
03-02-2015, 09:16 AM
so what if they were willing to give you .... let's say $5k plus your bike for a 14. Would that work?? Seems to me that would cost them a lot less plus every owner should expect some deprecation.

I would accept an offer to trade up for a 2014 or 15 for $5k additional. It would also cost me the $$ for blue paint but I'd live with that.

jcthorne
03-02-2015, 09:21 AM

As is usual for the CanAm dealers, they have not a clue. They can't even be bothered to read the letters BRP sent them. As for the idling, that is a traffic condition, not a choice. If my bike catches fire because it cannot idle in Houston traffic, I am NOT accepting responsibility for improperly using the bike. The recommendation on not riding the bike in conditions above 85 deg or in slow traffic is useless unless they plan to issue loaner bikes in the southern climates. I am not parking our 2013s until May or June when the 'fix' might be available. BRP just does not get it. They seem to expect me to continue making payments on the bikes.......

cuznjohn
03-02-2015, 09:32 AM
if this new fix is extensive the dealers are not going to be happy. i am pretty good friends with my dealer and when he changed out my ignition switch he showed me how much time BRP wrote for doing it and it was no where near what it took him to do it. so i am sure a high volume spyder dealer won't mind too much but a dealer that only sells a few units a year is going to hurt doing the fix.

ekfraz
03-02-2015, 10:45 AM
I am in Houston, Texas, it is a traffic nightmare like many major cities with the exception of temps being above 85 degrees probably 75% of the year with high humidity and our rush hours are usually about 6 - 7 hours a day. so if I want to ride my Spyder I cannot follow BPR'S ride under light non stopping for long periods of time in slow or stop and go traffic which is a way of life here. I already had an incident where it got so hot that the water hoses blew and a wrecker had to come get it and take it to the dealer. Hot weather will be here soon so I hope they get their fix soon!!!!!

robmorg
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
if this new fix is extensive the dealers are not going to be happy. i am pretty good friends with my dealer and when he changed out my ignition switch he showed me how much time BRP wrote for doing it and it was no where near what it took him to do it. so i am sure a high volume spyder dealer won't mind too much but a dealer that only sells a few units a year is going to hurt doing the fix.
:agree: John, I have no problem believing you are absolutely correct about that. But it seems to be typical of most warranty payments. Manufacturers seem to believe that dealers and franchises should share in their losses. I can tell you from my own experience that it happens frequently in service industries also.

ARtraveler
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM

It will be interesting to see what transpires if there is any type of buy-back. No matter what the terms, I can still see not everyone happy. The pain and suffering proponents will kick in then.

Maybe an engine change? Were the 2013's made to be equipped with the 1330 at first? That would still be very expensive, but not as bad as a full buy-back.

IMO: I do not see a buy back as being the final option.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

robmorg
03-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Maybe an engine change? Were the 2013's made to be equipped with the 1330 at first? That would still be very expensive, but not as bad as a full buy-back.

IMO: I do not see a buy back as being the final option. I agree that there will not be any sort of buyback. And an engine upgrade, even if it were possible, would also be way too expensive. Obviously, if either of those were in the works, the current interim recall notice on the 2013's would not have been issued at this time.

IMO, what seems the most likely solution under consideration is body panel changes, a fan or two, some changes in the fuel system, and some other minor tweaks.

Bob Denman
03-03-2015, 10:25 AM
:agree: But... it's still all just a guessing game right now. :dontknow:

cuznjohn
03-03-2015, 10:38 AM
the picture of the vents that were posted looked really nice, but having said that they still won't help in stop and go traffic. personally i really don't see a good fix for the problem. i fell this is a attempt to quiet the government for a lil just to say they are trying. i still don't see how some bikes have the problem and some don't.

has any of the problem bikes been checked for vin numbers to see it the bikes with heat problems came out of the same batch of bikes made in a certain amount of time, could there have been a problem with a batch of engines made during a period that the specs were off but not enough to trash the lot so they were installed in bikes and the others engines were corrected ???. we will soon find out I GUESS

anthony422
03-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I spoke to this Darren guy from BRP personally I've spoke to him before, don't care for the guy.... he seemed like he was reading from a card, and quite frankly couldn't give a crap,, the only thing he had to say was they are committed to fixing it and that's what they will do. he made it clear there are no buyback no special deals no special pricing what you get is what everyone gets. And if you had a few really crappy riding seasons with their toaster oven he basically said in a nutshell...to damn bad. we will fix it and if you want to sell it go see your dealer. The guy knew we had the conversation about the hot bike and he played dumb so I said so what do you have to say to yourself now.......no comment, once again it was like talking to a wet cardboard box

cuznjohn
03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jEWt8984pU

jcthorne
03-03-2015, 12:50 PM
the picture of the vents that were posted looked really nice, but having said that they still won't help in stop and go traffic. personally i really don't see a good fix for the problem. i fell this is a attempt to quiet the government for a lil just to say they are trying. i still don't see how some bikes have the problem and some don't.

has any of the problem bikes been checked for vin numbers to see it the bikes with heat problems came out of the same batch of bikes made in a certain amount of time, could there have been a problem with a batch of engines made during a period that the specs were off but not enough to trash the lot so they were installed in bikes and the others engines were corrected ???. we will soon find out I GUESS

My RT and the wifes RT were at opposite ends of the 2013 production run. Both have the exact same symptoms. With our help they are not so bad to ride now but the fuel stench is as bad as always.

robmorg
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
My RT and the wifes RT were at opposite ends of the 2013 production run. Both have the exact same symptoms. With our help they are not so bad to ride now but the fuel stench is as bad as always.JC,

Most of the work I've had done was aimed at reducing the heat around the seat and, more importantly, reducing the heat applied to the fuel tank. In some cases, the same "fix" helped both. I seem to have successfully eliminated the fuel stench, but I won't know for sure until this summer. (Work I've done is listed in "My Mods" link in my sig.)

Of course I realize that I live in Pennsylvania and you live in Texas. That makes a BIG difference. I firmly believe location is the main reason we get so many varying reports about the severity of the problem from various 2013 RT owners.

jcthorne
03-03-2015, 02:16 PM
JC,

Most of the work I've had done was aimed at reducing the heat around the seat and, more importantly, reducing the heat applied to the fuel tank. In some cases, the same "fix" helped both. I seem to have successfully eliminated the fuel stench, but I won't know for sure until this summer. (Work I've done is listed in "My Mods" link in my sig.)

Of course I realize that I live in Pennsylvania and you live in Texas. That makes a BIG difference. I firmly believe location is the main reason we get so many varying reports about the severity of the problem from various 2013 RT owners.

We have done most of the same items. Some I took further. There is still just too much heat applied to the tank.

I think the fuel varies from different areas of the country as well but don't know which are worse as far as fuel vapor pressure.

Dragonfly
03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I have all but taken care of my heat problem with the removal of the Primary Muffler and wrapping most of the pipes. I still plan to remove the two shields from underneath as recommended. Now the only thing that BRP can do better is combine the Primary and main Muffler into one unit and insulate the exhaust pipes and headers.

dslim
03-08-2015, 11:33 PM
I too have talked to BRP about minor heat issues. Mainly heat on the right side. I have installed a block off plate, and removed the bottom panels from my bike. I also have raised the passenger floorboards as high as they go, to help my wife's right leg. I haven yet experienced much for boiling gas, and very little fumes. When I did talk to BRP, they seemed very disinterested in any discomfort I mentioned, almost like they didn't believe me. I know there will be no cash offered or any buy back, I never expected that, but I would like to see the correct front end, with dual radiators, to move that heat off ones right foot and legs. I would also like to see the pipes routed forward and under ( I'm not sure it's possible). More than likely we are going to see pipes wrapped, maybe some shielding on fuel tank, and a different venting system. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of money, probably 500 dollars or so per bike. I don't have a lot of faith in this company, as far as helping the people that are really having the most trouble. I had a 2010 RT that was a total nightmare. Luckily, I found a great dealer who helped me, when the company wouldn't. That's the reason I even tried another Spyder. I hope everyone is satisfied with the results, only time will tell.

mastertek2000
03-09-2015, 06:21 PM
i received my Safety Recall letter today basically just says the same as on the first post no mention of what the fix is yet

latony007
03-09-2015, 06:25 PM
I too have talked to BRP about minor heat issues. Mainly heat on the right side. I have installed a block off plate, and removed the bottom panels from my bike. I also have raised the passenger floorboards as high as they go, to help my wife's right leg. I haven yet experienced much for boiling gas, and very little fumes. When I did talk to BRP, they seemed very disinterested in any discomfort I mentioned, almost like they didn't believe me. I know there will be no cash offered or any buy back, I never expected that, but I would like to see the correct front end, with dual radiators, to move that heat off ones right foot and legs. I would also like to see the pipes routed forward and under ( I'm not sure it's possible). More than likely we are going to see pipes wrapped, maybe some shielding on fuel tank, and a different venting system. I don't think they are going to spend a lot of money, probably 500 dollars or so per bike. I don't have a lot of faith in this company, as far as helping the people that are really having the most trouble. I had a 2010 RT that was a total nightmare. Luckily, I found a great dealer who helped me, when the company wouldn't. That's the reason I even tried another Spyder. I hope everyone is satisfied with the results, only time will tell.

i agree with you that buyback or engine change has about a zero percent chance of being any kind of option. The more i read posts on the forum the less likely i am to buy another spyder and may not have bought this one had i been reading all these before hand. I hope i do not have my leg burning off when the summer comes. I thought i was going to come home with a stump riding my brothers 12 RT in high temps it was so bad. Its quite obvious there was either none or not enough hot weather testing on any of these models.

pjb_Brisie
04-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi KennW,

Thanks for asking - yes, in fact, this recall will apply to owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT model worldwide, including Australia. Once I have more information on how the recall will be deployed in other countries I'll let you know right away.

Hi Steve,
I have just returned from our trip to Tasmania on my 2013 RT Ltd, 7,000 klms and 5 weeks away from home, I had no problems with the Spyder over the entire trip except it got very hot on three occasions, mainly in slow traffic on hot days in Sydney and Melbourne, other than that it performed perfectly. Only mishap was that we got hit by a kangaroo leaving Cradle Mountain in Tassie, no damage to the Spyder, hit the trailer.

Just to let you know, on my return I got onto the dealer at Springwood Suzuki to see if there was any information about the recall. He had no knowledge or information about the recall, I guided him to the recall information on the web page. He was still in the dark. When are BRP going to let the dealers know about this recall? given it will be world wide and I assume a reasonably big bit of work that the dealers need to carry out. I would like to think that this will be completed before the summer as the Spyder is just about un-rideable during Queensland summers. Also there seems to be a lack of information about exactly what will be done to the RT's as part of the recall, I can understand that BRP don't want to put it out there to let every one comment now that they have a solution, but a letter with the details to owners would be a good step in the right direction.

Paul B
:popcorn:

MouthPiece
04-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Steve,
I have just returned from our trip to Tasmania on my 2013 RT Ltd, 7,000 klms and 5 weeks away from home, I had no problems with the Spyder over the entire trip except it got very hot on three occasions, mainly in slow traffic on hot days in Sydney and Melbourne, other than that it performed perfectly. Only mishap was that we got hit by a kangaroo leaving Cradle Mountain in Tassie, no damage to the Spyder, hit the trailer.

Just to let you know, on my return I got onto the dealer at Springwood Suzuki to see if there was any information about the recall. He had no knowledge or information about the recall, I guided him to the recall information on the web page. He was still in the dark. When are BRP going to let the dealers know about this recall? given it will be world wide and I assume a reasonably big bit of work that the dealers need to carry out. I would like to think that this will be completed before the summer as the Spyder is just about un-rideable during Queensland summers. Also there seems to be a lack of information about exactly what will be done to the RT's as part of the recall, I can understand that BRP don't want to put it out there to let every one comment now that they have a solution, but a letter with the details to owners would be a good step in the right direction.

Paul B

I say this with all due respect, but isn't your last comment a bit oxymoronic in that most of the people who would be commenting would be owners? I do respect your opinion though.

Chris

pjb_Brisie
04-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi Mouthpiece,
I obviously did not make myself very clear, I was also trying to avoid going off topic. I can see that BRP might not want to put the details of what is to be done on this post, as you can see from some of the posts, there is a lot of unhappy owners out there, I was mainly trying to get Steve from BRP to understand that owners would like to know what is to be done to their Spyders. In many cases people bought the Spyder for how it looks and if that is going to change, then I would like to know.

Sorry I was not clear enough.

Paul

spacetiger
04-20-2015, 06:23 AM

Interesting pic; the [air] scoop is on the exhaust side. I suppose there could be another one on the other side. I would think they have a corresponding change in/under the bike to get the air out too.

Of course, this may not be the final solution. There might be another solution in test and the final answer is the one that "fixes" the problem with the least cost.

Just watching as I'm a 2012 owner...

Jerry

jcthorne
04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Interesting pic; the [air] scoop is on the exhaust side. I suppose there could be another one on the other side. I would think they have a corresponding change in/under the bike to get the air out too.

Of course, this may not be the final solution. There might be another solution in test and the final answer is the one that "fixes" the problem with the least cost.

Just watching as I'm a 2012 owner...

Jerry

That pic has been posted before. The bike in the pic is an ST not an RT and those are indeed the new for 14 side panels for the ST. Speculation that something similar is in the works for the RT but no photos have been seen in the wild yet.

condorflysu
04-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Tomorrow is May... I spoke to my dealer about the recall for the 2013 RT Elevated Temperature in Engine compartment...

They had no word or information and I then contacted BRP @ 1-888-272-9222.
They say the fix should (Note the use of "should") roll the 15th of May.
May 15th.. the maximum time they could interject before government radars would start to ping on the topic.

Curious to see that dates in the middle of the month. not may 1st....
When BRP sends a letter saying May..that's May1st in my books.

After BRP blamed me and the way I drive, when I drive and in what weather temp. I drive , my shifts I heard it all.
They wrapped my exhaust and tried several things.

The last two weeks.. if I'd been a smoker on my Spyder.. boom... free moon launch!
My local fire department has a VOC sensor... you can detect the gas fumes boiling off.
My dealer says it the worst case of gas smell they had with a RT Spyder.

I do not believe they have a fix for this.... I think we are being scammed!!
What about all the damage that's being done to the other internals of the Spyder....even my glove compartment cover is stating to wrap from it.

2 years this has been going on now BRP...lets see .... BPR HAVE A REP CALL ME AND MY DEALER BRAMPTON POWER SPORTS....ASAP just say Frank to the service manager.(Rebeca)
I have offered to drive to Val Dor Que. in person to deliver the vehicle back to you for repairs or replacement.

Enough already... I Wana ride !.... safe........

Sorry to rant folks... but this is getting stupid.

Talking to the people at the 1-888 BRP line is wasting my time... and I think BRP counts on that.

Frank N.

Bob Denman
04-30-2015, 09:57 AM
:shocked: Do you feel any better?

They did say "May", and not "May 1st"... Hang in there! :thumbup:
At this point, all that you're doing is raising your blood pressure... :banghead:

oldgoat
04-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I have offered to drive to Val Dor Que. in person to deliver the vehicle back to you for repairs or replacement.

Frank N.

You won't get much help in Val d'Or I'm afraid.

ARtraveler
04-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Thirty one more days for them to get the "May" information out. I would not be betting on an early disclosure. They want this to be right the first time and every little glitch that could happen will delay the process a bit more.

If it does not happen as promised, there is going to be a lot of egg on the companies face. I am guessing they will want to avoid that at all cost.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
04-30-2015, 02:25 PM
:agree: They sure don't want any more "bad press" over the 2013 models... nojoke

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-30-2015, 06:48 PM
OK, here's the word today from BRP. Danny Davy, customer tech rep to dealers, was with Lamont today for a Q&A session here at Spyderfest. I asked him what he could tell us about the fix. As has been reported before the fix has been determined. However, the regulators have not yet bought off on it and until they do BRP by law and regulation cannot make it public. As soon as the regulators say go they can tell us what's coming. He did not give any hint whatever there was a problem with getting approval. It just takes time. As has been reported before the fix will be rolled out in the hot SW states first. But, and this is the good new news, the roll out over the entire country should happen in days, not weeks as has been speculated here. I asked when I could expect to have the fix available in Idaho, June, July, or when? He said not that late, but only days after the roll out starts.

The implication, but not specific words said, is the parts are being made and will be ready to ship the end of may.

oldguyinTX
04-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Let's all have a cocktail while we wait. After all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Bob Denman
05-01-2015, 07:10 AM
:agree: :cheers:

Thanks... I know that you've had a tough time waiting. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I had another conversation with another BRP rep, Andre Cote, this afternoon. I related what Dany Davy said yesterday. Here is his take.

He thinks the regulatory approval has been received, just not made public yet. He asked me what I thought the fix may be. He chuckled when I said how about putting a 1330 into the 2013 RTs since the frame is the same as the '14. :roflblack: I made a suggestion based on speculation here on the forum. It was pretty much correct.

I think it was because of that, and only that, he offered to show me pics about part of the fix, but it was a "your eyes only" showing! :thumbup: I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! :) The fix involves more than just physical changes. Take that to mean what you will! Owners will have the option to accept all, part, or none of the fixes, but if they don't accept it all they must sign a waiver, which I believe means absolving BRP of liability.

He was unequivocal in his statement that from BRP's perspective this fix does solve the heat problems.

The parts are in production. The fix will be available over the entire country within days of being launched in the SW.

The wait continues, but at least we have more concrete info now.

Bob Denman
05-01-2015, 04:54 PM
There you have it... Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Magdave
05-01-2015, 05:46 PM
I had another conversation with another BRP rep, Andre Cote, this afternoon. I related what Dany Davy said yesterday. Here is his take.

He thinks the regulatory approval has been received, just not made public yet. He asked me what I thought the fix may be. He chuckled when I said how about putting a 1330 into the 2013 RTs since the frame is the same as the '14. :roflblack: I made a suggestion based on speculation here on the forum. It was pretty much correct.

I think it was because of that, and only that, he offered to show me pics about part of the fix, but it was a "your eyes only" showing! :thumbup: I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! :) The fix involves more than just physical changes. Take that to mean what you will! Owners will have the option to accept all, part, or none of the fixes, but if they don't accept it all they must sign a waiver, which I believe means absolving BRP of liability.

He was unequivocal in his statement that from BRP's perspective this fix does solve the heat problems.

The parts are in production. The fix will be available over the entire country within days of being launched in the SW.

The wait continues, but at least we have more concrete info now.

:gaah::gaah::gaah: Now what does that mean? You're killing me here:banghead: How about point to a thread that has the correct speculation in it.

mastertek2000
05-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Why would you even post you know what the fix is but you can't say LOL we will all find out at the same time that's the way BRP wants it and that's how it will happen

robmorg
05-01-2015, 08:59 PM
There you have it... Thanks for the info! :thumbup:There we have WHAT, exactly??? http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/whistling.gif

Bensonoid
05-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Bob Denman
05-02-2015, 08:39 AM
I will say this much. One part of the fix is in line with some of the speculation here! :) The fix involves more than just physical changes.

Does this mean that there will be genetic modifications to the 2013 owners, that will allow them to withstand higher than "normal" temperatures?? :yikes: :joke:

Magdave
05-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Does this mean that there will be genetic modifications to the 2013 owners, that will allow them to withstand higher than "normal" temperatures?? :yikes: :joke:

No Bob but the fix will come with a sign.

http://www.thatdailydeal.com//images/products/noticebeatings1.jpg

Bob Denman
05-02-2015, 08:49 AM
:shocked: I LIKE that! :clap:
I'll post it in the Office here... :D

robmorg
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Well, as long as I'm to undergo genetic modifications, I can think of a few others I wouldn't mind having as well. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Shoot :shocked:... I'd buy a 2013 RT tomorrow, if I could get those "enhancements"... :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-02-2015, 03:05 PM
There we have WHAT, exactly??? http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/whistling.gif
BRP has convinced the Feds the fix will work. The parts are being made. The rollout will take days, not weeks. The fix consists of s/w change, air flow change, body part change, and I think, insulation.

Magdave
05-02-2015, 04:30 PM
BRP has convinced the Feds the fix will work. The parts are being made. The rollout will take days, not weeks. The fix consists of s/w change, air flow change, body part change, and I think, insulation.

Sounds like Tinfoil part II. It sounds like what some here tested for them and said it did not work. Unless they do something with the header heat (wrap or coat?) something will melt. Sooo S/W.... reversing fan and richening, Air flow ...if it is adjustable vents I already have them, body change... I hope it isn't making swiss cheese under the seat. Insulation.... I already have that too. I wonder if I get money back for what I have done already? Bring it on and lets see what happens. Any fires after this should definitely lead to buy backs.