PDA

View Full Version : Stubby Windscreen 2015 RT-S Special Series

nakerr
02-16-2015, 10:00 PM
I am in the process of buying a 2015 RT-S Special Series. This bike comes with a very stubby windscreen. I am concerned about the wind coverage with this screen. I like to look over the top of the screen but would like good weather protection. Should I put a touring windscreen into the purchase deal? or go with the stock screen on the bike?

Cheers,

blacklightning
02-16-2015, 10:05 PM
I am in the process of buying a 2015 RT-S Special Series. This bike comes with a very stubby windscreen. I am concerned about the wind coverage with this screen. I like to look over the top of the screen but would like good weather protection. Should I put a touring windscreen into the purchase deal? or go with the stock screen on the bike?

Cheers,
I wish you were closer. I have a 2014 stock windshield. I ordered a wider one for the winter riding, but plan on a shorter one for the summer. I would let you try out my stock one, and then I would try out your short one. My plan right now is to have my stock shield cut down by 5-6". I think I would like looking over the shortened windshield, and you can always raise it for when you need it.

Deke
02-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I also have a 2015 RT-S Special Series. I'm about 6'2", and stayed with the stock short windshield. There is definitely a bit more wind, but it isn't as bad as I might have thought. I haven't had it out in rain, yet, so not sure about the protection.

Deke

blacklightning
02-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I will throw this out there, if someone has a short windshield, and would like a stock height, 2014 shield, with 500 miles on it, I will cover shipping. I can send mine, and you can ship me yours once you get it. Just another option since I plan on cutting my stock one down by spring anyway.

ABQSpyder
02-16-2015, 10:51 PM
I will throw this out there, if someone has a short windshield, and would like a stock height, 2014 shield, with 500 miles on it, I will cover shipping. I can send mine, and you can ship me yours once you get it. Just another option since I plan on cutting my stock one down by spring anyway.

Just buy a Calsi tinted shorty. I love my. Put it down and let the wind flow, raise it a little and it nice. Also they look nice on the bike not a big barn door.

Bob Denman
02-17-2015, 08:12 AM
:D My two cents...
You haven't ridden the bike yet.
Try it out with the shorty first, and THEN look at your options! :thumbup:

garageguy
02-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Shorty works great for me under most conditions and I'm 6'-4". Besides it looks alot better. For long hauls I would quick swap out to a touring shield

Purple Guy
02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Once you get your Spyder Norm we can throw my stock shield on and you can give it a try if you want...

nakerr
04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Once you get your Spyder Norm we can throw my stock shield on and you can give it a try if you want...

I would like to try your old shield. The short stock shield pushes the wind up to just above the visor on my helmet and when I open the vents on the helmet there is a very loud roar in the helmet. Makes it hard to hear my tunes :D

martiniman
04-14-2015, 11:19 AM
I wish you were closer. I have a 2014 stock windshield. I ordered a wider one for the winter riding, but plan on a shorter one for the summer. I would let you try out my stock one, and then I would try out your short one. My plan right now is to have my stock shield cut down by 5-6". I think I would like looking over the shortened windshield, and you can always raise it for when you need it.
Which wider one did you go with if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at the Show Chrome model myself......

nakerr
04-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Haven't yet. Was looking at one of the BRP vented ones but not sure.

blacklightning
04-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Which wider one did you go with if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at the Show Chrome model myself......
I have thrown away the box, but I think that is the one that I purchased. It is about 4 1/2" wider overall. Last week, I cut my stock shield down from 25 1/2" to 18 1/2". With the shield up, I get the same protection that I got with the stock one in the down position (which is how I rode 95% of the time). With it in the down position, I get a good breeze, but nothing too bad. The biggest difference that I noticed was going back to stock width after riding with the +4 1/2" for the past 6 months. Either way, I am happy now, and cutting the stock shield down was quite easy.