PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget Alaska!!

PrairieSpyder
02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
A reminder that some of us are going to ride to Alaska from Chelan this summer. We want to get a certain count by March 1, so if you want to go, be sure to notify Murphy Brown and she'll add you to the list.

We're leaving Chelan, Wash, on June 29 and the route and overnight stops have been arranged. Murphy's been able to get us some good rates at all the hotels we'll be using. We'll have two nights in Whitehorse, Yukon Terr, so we can do a day trip to Skagway, AK, before continuing on to Alaska. We'll spend several days in Eagle River with AkSpyderman as our tour guide, then north to Healy and an all-day guided tour in Denali National Park. Then it will be on to Fairbanks; we're now in the process of arranging a tour to the north slope so we can dip our toes - or whatever else we may dare - in the Arctic Ocean!!

Still being arranged is a day-cruise to see the glaciers and assorted wildlife (that which we don't bring with us ;)) . We're also in the process of getting some artwork for t-shirts, flags, etc.

It will be the trip of a lifetime and I hope some more of you will get on board.

Going NORTH TO ALASKA! The rush is on!!!

Chupaca
02-12-2015, 02:19 PM
thats where all this :cus: cold is coming from...:roflblack::roflblack: thanks for the reminder...:bowdown: summer..!!

cuznjohn
02-12-2015, 02:45 PM
the trip sounds fantastic, wish i could ride that much.

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2015, 02:46 PM
As an american citizen, do i need a passport to enter Canada? :dontknow::dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

Chupaca
02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
They trust you...well at least on they east coast. Crossed many times with no problem....:thumbup:

As an american citizen, do i need a passport to enter Canada? :dontknow::dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
They trust you...well at least on they east coast. Crossed many times with no problem....:thumbup:

Thanks

Cruzr joe

Highwayman2013
02-12-2015, 03:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA

ARtraveler
02-12-2015, 03:16 PM

Cruzr Joe

Yes, on the passport.

Someone also mentioned a "special" drivers license as an option. Don't know the answer to that one for sure. I used the Passport on my last trip.

Don't bring side arms either.

If in doubt, check with Canadian Customs. You don't want to get stopped at the border and turned around.

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM
OK now ...................................... One person says yes i need a passport .................................. Another says no i don't need a passport ................. who do i believe?

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
02-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Cruzr Joe

joe as far as i know you need one, but you can get some kind of amendment to your drivers license to get you in

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:Crossing.The.Border.html

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

ARtraveler
02-12-2015, 03:21 PM
OK now ...................................... One person says yes i need a passport .................................. Another says no i don't need a passport ................. who do i believe?

Cruzr Joe

If in doubt, check with Canadian Customs. You don't want to get stopped at the border and turned around.

In addition to the passport requirement we encountered in 2010, the spouse did not remove her helmet fast enough and allowed the :spyder2: to creep ahead a couple feet. They pulled her aside and gave her the "treatment".

Highwayman2013
02-12-2015, 03:24 PM
They are just phasing in a real ID drivers license but why not just take a passport? Unless you don't have one. We went to the eastern provinces through Maine last July and we needed the passports both ways.102157

Deanna777
02-12-2015, 03:55 PM

Cruzr JoeCruzr Joe: Check with your Motor Vehicles dept. to see if they have " Enhanced" Operator's License. Just a suggestion! I will send you a PM, about the above. Deanna

PrairieSpyder
02-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Cruzr Joe

You need a passport, or a passport card. The DL thing is only issued to people in localities near the border, where people need daily access.

The passport card is something new since the last time I got a passport. It's for use to Canada (and Mexico, I think), so you don't have to carry your passport book. It costs extra when you get a passport.

Trbayth
02-12-2015, 08:12 PM
The passport card is something new since the last time I got a passport. It's for use to Canada (and Mexico, I think), so you don't have to carry your passport book. It costs extra when you get a passport.

I didn't pay anything extra to get the passport card; it just came with my passport. This was about 5 years ago.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-12-2015, 09:45 PM
A reminder that some of us are going to ride to Alaska from Chelan this summer. We want to get a certain count by March 1, so if you want to go, be sure to notify Murphy Brown and she'll add you to the list.

We're leaving Chelan, Wash, on June 29 and the route and overnight stops have been arranged.
[snip]
Going NORTH TO ALASKA! The rush is on!!!
I'm seriously thinking about going. What is the anticipated return date to Chelan? I have my "Tent on a Trailer" but wonder if it might not be better to hotel it and use the trailer to carry emergency supplies, like a spare tire or two. This would be for the group, not just me.

How many miles per day, on travel days, are you targeting? And gas will be available about every 100 miles or should be plan for longer spacing and carry spare gas? My open trailer would be ideal for carrying gas from the viewpoint of not trapping fumes.

Is there a Washington event just prior, like Heart of WA ride? I haven't looked.

PrairieSpyder
02-12-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm seriously thinking about going. What is the anticipated return date to Chelan? I have my "Tent on a Trailer" but wonder if it might not be better to hotel it and use the trailer to carry emergency supplies, like a spare tire or two. This would be for the group, not just me.

How many miles per day, on travel days, are you targeting? And gas will be available about every 100 miles or should be plan for longer spacing and carry spare gas? My open trailer would be ideal for carrying gas from the viewpoint of not trapping fumes.

Is there a Washington event just prior, like Heart of WA ride? I haven't looked.

You should PM Karyl (MurphyBrown) to get on her email list. If you'll PM me your email address, I'll try to find the message showing all the overnight stops on the way to Alaska. You can plot them out on the map to see how far they are.

We don't have a firm return date, yet. We do have plans up through July 16 or so. I know of a couple other items still to be added to the timeline.

If/when I can pull all this together, I'll post it.

chuck gross
02-12-2015, 11:03 PM

Cruzr Joe

Joe, you have to have a Passport for sure these days I go to Canada from Washington State quite often by boat and by car everything tightened up after 9/11 you used to get by with just a drivers license. And yes DO NOT TAKE A HAND GUN they have a real issue with Americans bringing guns into Canada they know if you have a concealed carry permit and will likely question you about it.
My brother uses an enhanced drivers license I don't know if that is an option in your state or not. My wife and I have Nexxus cards that allow you to go to an express lane so to speak as you are pre approved for frequent border crossings this card costs 50 dollars for five years and you have to be interviewed by American customs and Canadian customs I just went to a interview on 2/4 to get my card renewed. one last note about going to Canada if you have ever had a Felony or been convicted of drunk driving they will NOT let you into Canada you will be turned around.

SpyderAnn01
02-13-2015, 09:04 AM
CruzrJoe you are on the Do Not Enter list for Canada. Sorry.

cognaccruiser
02-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Joe, you have to have a Passport for sure these days I go to Canada from Washington State quite often by boat and by car everything tightened up after 9/11 you used to get by with just a drivers license. And yes DO NOT TAKE A HAND GUN they have a real issue with Americans bringing guns into Canada they know if you have a concealed carry permit and will likely question you about it.
My brother uses an enhanced drivers license I don't know if that is an option in your state or not. My wife and I have Nexxus cards that allow you to go to an express lane so to speak as you are pre approved for frequent border crossings this card costs 50 dollars for five years and you have to be interviewed by American customs and Canadian customs I just went to a interview on 2/4 to get my card renewed. one last note about going to Canada if you have ever had a Felony or been convicted of drunk driving they will NOT let you into Canada you will be turned around.

This is all correct, so not disputing anything.

What folks don't seem to consider sometimes is that American citizens need their passport just as much to get back into the U.S. as they do to get into Canada. When you go to Skagway from Canada for example, they will want to see your passport or whatever is deemed acceptable these days. The same will be true when you cross back into the lower 48. Passports just make life easier IMOP.
The same holds true for Canadians going to the U.S. with respect to Felony, DUI's etc. The laws are pretty similar.
And yes, people get to the Canadian border all the time and forget about their concealed carry handguns. They will be turned back. Sometimes folks think that they are just making a quick pass through Canada going back to the U.S./Alaska and it should be ok to carry. Not permitted.

Gary

webweaver
02-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Cruzr Joe
The short answer is yes you do. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Penny:ani29:

PrairieSpyder
02-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Once, just before 9/11, I had spent the summer in MT and wanted to go to Waterton Park before returning to Kansas. I had my handgun with me and called US border control about it. They tried to help me locate a place on the US side where I could securely store my gun for a couple days. I ended up taking it apart and putting the pieces in different compartments of my SUV. I had the cylinder in the bottom of my laundry bag. At that time, going into Canada was easy and they never bothered to look. Same with coming back to the States. I forgot all about the gun until I was at a busy laundromat at Yellowstone and dumped my dirty clothes out and quickly tried to hide the cylinder. (Guns aren't allowed in the national parks, either.)

Of course, I won't be bringing a handgun with me when I go to Alaska this year. And I hope the statute of limitations is expired on any prior infraction. :pray:

[And if anyone asks, my name is Jane.]

chuck gross
02-13-2015, 09:25 PM
I think they might let Joe into Canada. I sure wish I was going with you guys you are going to have great time. I am hoping to go in 2016 right after I retire. :yes:

murphybrown
02-14-2015, 11:53 AM

Cruzr Joe

Contact both Canada and US Customs...you have to have proper documentation out and in....:yikes: Hate to have to leave you waving at us !!!:roflblack::roflblack:

R FUN
02-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi folks
All this talk might be making people nervous about coming to Canada. It it very simple,just follow the rules of both countrys as neither country want to turn away tourist dollars, I was in the tourist buisiness. I would definatelly carry a passport, if you have had a felony or a DUI, check as you can sometimes have them cleared from your record to cross the border. DO NOT bring a hand gun, pepper spray, switch blade or any weapon or to make it easy, nothing showing you even own one. I cross back and forth across the border frequently with never a problem, in fact am in Arizona right now.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT CROSSING THE BORDER, just follow the rules, we love tourists,just bring your money which is worth a lot more in Canada.
Roger