PDA

View Full Version : Relocate RT GPS

DriftersWay
02-11-2015, 06:29 PM
I once saw where someone relocated their GPS on a RT to the top of the dash.
I can't find anything for it in the search. Any ideas who they was, or where the post is.
Thanks for any help.

Bob Denman
02-11-2015, 06:31 PM
You might want to check with JT; he makes the coolest bracket for that application... :thumbup:

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/

Cruzr Joe
02-11-2015, 06:35 PM
JT's bracket for the dash is great, i use it for my Iphone and it is pretty steady, my GPS is a little heavier so i got some vibration with it.

Cruzr joe

WA5VHU
02-11-2015, 07:35 PM
I once saw where someone relocated their GPS on a RT to the top of the dash.
I can't find anything for it in the search. Any ideas who they was, or where the post is.
Thanks for any help.

Here is a recent thread:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76655-GPS-Setup

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2015, 07:59 PM
:agree:....with where He was going .........but I think He went to HIGH up IMHO....It appears to block quite a bit vision of things directly in front of your Spyder like POT HOLES.....I think I will do something similar ,however I am going to bring mine forward a bit and have it hang over the LIP of the COWL and drop down about TWO inches ....I don't care if I never read that that Dumb *ss card again....................I already decided against mounting it down low on the Handlebar by the KEY because I really like to keep my EYES focused as forward as possible ...Mike :thumbup:

rtotten
02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I talked to my service guys when they were installing my Triaxis handlebars, and had them mount the GPS to the Dash. They just used Ram Mount and it works great and Looks great!

Bob Denman
02-12-2015, 11:21 AM
:agree:....with where He was going .........but I think He went to HIGH up IMHO....It appears to block quite a bit vision of things directly in front of your Spyder like POT HOLES.....I think I will do something similar ,however I am going to bring mine forward a bit and have it hang over the LIP of the COWL and drop down about TWO inches ....I don't care if I never read that that Dumb *ss card again....................I already decided against mounting it down low on the Handlebar by the KEY because I really like to keep my EYES focused as forward as possible ...Mike :thumbup:
Couldn't you just use a longer Ram extension?
Or,;doesn't one exist? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Couldn't you just use a longer Ram extension?
Or,;doesn't one exist? :dontknow:

:dontknow:.....Bob, not sure exactly how this is going to go.....I may go with a fixed surface on the cowl and then mount the BALL holder to that, to give some adjustability........However, at the moment I'm finishing up making my UPPER front " SHOCK RE-LOCATOR BRACKETS ", these will compliment the LOWERS I did 6 months ago.........................and YES there will be PICS :yikes:...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:....... ...Mike :thumbup:

jthornton
02-12-2015, 12:03 PM
JT's bracket for the dash is great, i use it for my Iphone and it is pretty steady, my GPS is a little heavier so i got some vibration with it.

Cruzr joe

I place the bottom of my GPS on the dash so there is no vibration other than when the whole bike is moving.

JT

MS_Spyderman
02-12-2015, 06:20 PM
I moved my gps using JT's bracket and I found a ram extension that is about 6" long. It's perfect to put the gps just over the ledge of the dash.

Mazo EMS2
02-12-2015, 08:54 PM
I screwed a cradle right to the dash ledge. It's a RAM cradle for that series of Garmin Nuvi. About 2" above and below the ledge so nothing is obstructed. Two small holes is all it took. If/when I take the cradle off, I'll just put two small black screws in the holes.

jimnsusie
02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
I place the bottom of my GPS on the dash so there is no vibration other than when the whole bike is moving.

JT

I agree. That bracket is so handy. I have my gopro mounted there as well. And there is still room for the phone if wanted.

MtlBen
02-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Here's an old thread showing how a few people did it, including my own setup. (Before I sold the Spyder)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?27123-Mounting-a-Zumo-up-high/page3&highlight=Mounting+high (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?27123-Mounting-a-Zumo-up-high/page3&highlight=Mounting+high)

'Hope it helps

...Ben...

peterparker
04-16-2015, 12:32 PM

JT

JT - Bottoming your gps on the dash makes sense to me. I think that I read in another thread that you used a Ram ball coming off of your bracket then a Ram arm and another Ram ball to tie into your gps. What length Ram arm did you use and which hole in your bracket do you have the first ball inserted in?

jthornton
04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
JT - Bottoming your gps on the dash makes sense to me. I think that I read in another thread that you used a Ram ball coming off of your bracket then a Ram arm and another Ram ball to tie into your gps. What length Ram arm did you use and which hole in your bracket do you have the first ball inserted in?

I have a threaded B-Ball in the center hole of the Dash Mount and a medium B-Arm and my cradle uses a diamond plate B-Ball.

JT