PDA

View Full Version : F3 Storage

SpyderGTL
02-08-2015, 09:39 PM
I have used my previous two motorcycles as daily drivers, which means taking a briefcase or backpack and a small gym bag to work. I took my canvas briefcase with me to the demo ride back in December to see if it would fit in the frunk of the F3. Not even close... It does fit in the frunk of my wife's RT. And since BRP decided not to have any saddlebags available, there are few storage options. Since I'm one to place functionality ahead of beauty, I got out the barrel bag that probably did 30,000 miles with me strapped to the passenger seat of my first bike, a Honda Shadow Aero 750. So now I've got some usable storage space on the F3. Also, since there wasn't a backrest option available, I also now have a backrest. Between the barrel bag and the tank bag from my BMW, I'm ready for work and some weekend trips.

And yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vondalyn
02-08-2015, 10:07 PM
looks good if it works for you -- you're the only person that counts in that opinion contest :)

Chupaca
02-09-2015, 12:19 AM
problem solved...nicely done. Hang in there the aftermarket guys will be coming out with stuff very soon..:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-09-2015, 01:04 AM
I think your barrel bag looks better than the bags that BRP has for the F3.

PrairieSpyder
02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I like the look of the barrel bag! If you aren't carrying a passenger, you might as well use that space.

What this about no saddle bags from BRP? Are they not selling those hard side-bags now? Givi probably has something bigger anyway.

BikerDoc
02-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I like the looks for the Barrell Bag as well. Is that bag waterproof or at least water resistant? I see saddlebag options available for the f3 but I like your idea better. Of course by the time they finally build my black and chrome F3S , I may have died of old age, and this will no longer be of concern to me

DeanerBeaner
02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
What type of tank bag did you use, I'm looking at the SW Motech type connection with a bag101998

SpyderAnn01
02-09-2015, 11:36 AM
I like the looks for the Barrell Bag as well. Is that bag waterproof or at least water resistant? I see saddlebag options available for the f3 but I like your idea better. Of course by the time they finally build my black and chrome F3S , I may have died of old age, and this will no longer be of concern to me

I have one that has a rain cover. Trouble is the cover takes up a lot of room in the bag! Hal, the delay is giving your new knee time to heal. If you thought your little ride on the RT hurt I would think that riding the F3 will be more of an issue since you have to move your leg from side to side and up and down to hit the brake. At least I did when I rode one.

SpyderAnn01
02-09-2015, 11:37 AM
I like the look of the barrel bag! If you aren't carrying a passenger, you might as well use that space.

What this about no saddle bags from BRP? Are they not selling those hard side-bags now? Givi probably has something bigger anyway.

Patty, they have bags they just aren't available yet. They are giving everyone time to save their money so that they can afford them. I think they were around $1,300 :shocked:

SPYD3R
02-09-2015, 11:48 AM
YA, TANK BAG, TELL US ABOUT YOUR TANK BAG.... re: DeanerBeaner...
and how is it fastened?
i'm also using my 'barrel bag' on the passenger seat...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Big Bird
02-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Spent a ton of money on Corbin, seat, 3 pieces, top box, and saddle bags. Hard saddle bags... about $6k... but that is on an early '08 GS... and mine...

GunDoctor
02-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I am using myT-Bag on my rear seat. Holds my helmet, gloves do-wrap, gun, charging stuff, glasses, and an over shirt. I'm still wondering what will fit in the frunk?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

Lamonster
02-09-2015, 08:27 PM
I had a bag like that on my Boss Hoss and it worked well for the most part.

On the F3 I'll have Corbin bags and Smuggler trunk and a trailer :doorag:

Ronbo
02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
I have used my previous two motorcycles as daily drivers, which means taking a briefcase or backpack and a small gym bag to work. I took my canvas briefcase with me to the demo ride back in December to see if it would fit in the frunk of the F3. Not even close... It does fit in the frunk of my wife's RT. And since BRP decided not to have any saddlebags available, there are few storage options. Since I'm one to place functionality ahead of beauty, I got out the barrel bag that probably did 30,000 miles with me strapped to the passenger seat of my first bike, a Honda Shadow Aero 750. So now I've got some usable storage space on the F3. Also, since there wasn't a backrest option available, I also now have a backrest. Between the barrel bag and the tank bag from my BMW, I'm ready for work and some weekend trips.

It actually looks kinda cool. Ive got an F3 ordered, and Im gonna take the plunge and order the saddlebags.
They are pricey, but I think they really look great....kinda like they were made for the bike, and I've never gotten accessories from BRP that weren't top quality. IMHO.

Ron

PrairieSpyder
02-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Lamont, will you be selling a hitch set-up for F3 owners? If I hadn't just bought my '14 RTS last year I'd go for an F3 IF I could pull my trailer with it.

SpyderGTL
02-09-2015, 08:49 PM

I'm glad to hear that you'll have Corbin bags! :thumbup: I'd prefer a set of Corbin bags as well. I hope they hit the market soon!

SpyderGTL
02-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll get some detailed pictures taken in the next day or two to show the specifics of the tank bag.

The tank bag is a 3 liter non-expandable Allegro tank bag from RKA Luggage. It has a 3-point attachment. I ran a strap to each of the truss-like beams that support the dash. The tail strap wrapped around the frame underneath the seat. The handlebar clusters just kiss the bag at full throw. It was the same way on my BMW. The tank bag does have a rain cover, though I can't remember if I bought one. Oops! I may look into getting a slightly larger tank bag at some point. Just have to make sure it isn't any wider. I would also like to get a slightly longer strap on the back of the bag. I think it would like it to sit just a bit higher on the tank.

The barrel bag is the large bag from Biker's Friend. I bought this bag nearly seven years ago. It's not waterproof, but I would say it's water resistant. I was caught in a massive severe thunderstorm one time riding through Memphis and it held up quite well with very minimal water getting inside. The main "bag" is just a length of PVC pipe wrapped in leather, so the only water intrusion path is through the overlap at the end caps.

I rode the Spyder to work today and really enjoyed having the barrel bag. It works very well as a backrest - probably better than it did when I had it on my Honda. I'm really starting to like the looks of it, too. I think it gives the lower seating position a true cockpit look to the Spyder. I definitely think I can wait now to see what shows up on the aftermarket for saddlebags!

petegtsv10
02-09-2015, 10:22 PM

I did an online chat with Givi today and they told me they have no plans to have F3 bags.

DeanerBeaner
02-09-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm looking at the SW-Motech bag connection many options in sizes with the mate to the clamp that mounts to the tank no straps.

den1953
02-10-2015, 07:30 AM
I guess I'll have to wait until I actually have an F3 in order to get the bolt specs and center to center spacing of the passenger grab rail bolts to the guy at Easy Brackets. That would allow us to use any brand or size/shape aftermarket saddlebags on the F3 and still have a lockable quick detachable bracket mounted to our bikes. Anybody out there on board with that idea yet?? If so maybe you could get the bolt size & length as well as the center to center distance apart on the F3 so I can get this to him and he could fabricate the brackets for us. Does anyone think this is a good idea??

Lamonster
02-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Lamont, will you be selling a hitch set-up for F3 owners? If I hadn't just bought my '14 RTS last year I'd go for an F3 IF I could pull my trailer with it.

Yes, after doing some more testing. :doorag:

PrairieSpyder
02-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Yes, after doing some more testing. :doorag:

Then the F3 may become my next Spyder! I need a tourer, and the storage is the main thing I don't like about it (after that weird front end, which I'm getting used to).

Thanks, Lamont.

bullant12
02-10-2015, 11:00 AM

First time I have found myself not needing a backrest, but I like this setup particularly because the barrel bag looks here to be a good option as a travel case. :thumbup:

DB Dan
02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
I also have the large bikers friend barrel bag on the back of my F3. I like the way it looks & it fits two helmets if needed & also is a comfy backrest.
It's definitely water resistant. I'm 6'-4" & have the footpegs in the most forward position = fits me nicely. Also have rider backrest & saddlebags on order with BRP. I think their backrest will allow me to sit back a little further & I hope the bikers friend will still fit!

SpyderGTL
02-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Here are a few pictures of the tank bag install. The only thing you can't see is how the tail strap attaches to the frame under the seat. (Somebody forgot to take a picture during the install!) The upper straps seem to blend in nicely with the black top and more or less continue the lines of the arched truss members. I'll definitely be looking into a larger (taller) tank bag.