PDA

View Full Version : New F3 needs a alignment

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Picked up F3 last Friday and noticed that it drifts when I let her track on her own. I'm in the Los Angeles area, does anyone know where I can get a laser alignment?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

Chupaca
02-08-2015, 10:52 AM
but if you pack a lunch and head to Vegas you will find "Squared Away" and Ann and Joe can fix you up. If you check with them they may be coming to your area as they travel around. Get a group together and they will come to your door..:roflblack: well maybe not your door but close...:thumbup:

fispyder
02-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Go to ROLO/Outlaw lazar alignment web page it has all the dealer/ people that has brought the system. I'm sure there is someone that is close by

granpa in Cincy
02-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Take it back to the dealer and make him fix it! nojoke

cognaccruiser
02-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Squared Away in Vegas. Ann and Joe.

Gary

Highwayman2013
02-08-2015, 11:43 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/squared.jpg

Outporter
02-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Picked up F3 last Friday and noticed that it drifts when I let her track on her own. I'm in the Los Angeles area, does anyone know where I can get a laser alignment?

Why would you spend more money for an alignment?......Take it back to the dealer and make sure they get it right. If everyone continues to bypass the dealers/BRP then there is no incentive for them to get it done properly. Just my $.02 worth.
John

Highwayman2013
02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
In this case it is worth the money to get it fixed right the first time instead of going to the dealer and hearing "they all do that" or a four hour BRP job that makes the handling worse. While I agree the alignment should be right when you get the bike this is not the case. I had a laser alignment done and have no regrets.

MMMII
02-08-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm having mine done by Squared Away in 2 weeks.

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Wasn't aware they align after assembly.

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Vegas is the closet laser alignment...not practical to take a 8 hour round trip.

ARtraveler
02-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhh here comes my very first negative post on the new F3.

A machine costing $20K + should come out of the factory properly aligned. If that continues to be a problem, then, the dealer should have the laser alignment tools and use them properly before sending the new machine out the door. A properly aligned machine should be what comes out the door after dealer prep.

Based on what we read here, a free, laser alignment should be a given with all new :spyder2:'s purchased.

I do not feel that a customer should have to pay additional to get a brand new machine running according to specs.

Highwayman2013
02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhh here comes my very first negative post on the new F3.

A machine costing $20K + should come out of the factory properly aligned. If that continues to be a problem, then, the dealer should have the laser alignment tools and use them properly before sending the new machine out the door. A properly aligned machine should be what comes out the door after dealer prep.

Based on what we read here, a free, laser alignment should be a given with all new :spyder2:'s purchased.

I do not feel that a customer should have to pay additional to get a brand new machine running according to specs.

I agree, but what should be and "is" are two different things.

Highwayman2013
02-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Vegas is the closet laser alignment...not practical to take a 8 hour round trip.
If you can get a group together that wants alignments, they may be able to travel closer to you. Doesn't hurt to ask, they are traveling to Yuma AZ soon to help out a group there.

MRH
02-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Lou does my work in Riverside (I'm also in in LA).

http://www.piratepowersports.com

Tadgh45
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Agreed! You only just picked it up! Sounds like dealer responsibility to me.

kep-up
02-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Agreed! You only just picked it up! Sounds like dealer responsibility to me.

$20000.00 plus for a 3-wheeled vehicle w/o a heater, radio, air conditioning, or even a roof ain't cheap. And the front isn't aligned?

A simple question here; a "C" series Mercedes Benz is probably comparable in price, vehicle to vehicle. Would you put up with the Benz dealer giving you a mis-aligned vehicle or even listining to him whine and make excuses? I think not.

Make th
Spyder dealer fix it!

Orange Spyder Man
02-08-2015, 04:44 PM
I whole hearty agree... its the dealer who should get it corrected... but... good luck in doing so.. BRP does not care either..

osm

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2015, 04:45 PM

But Lou doesn't have the Rolo Laser Alignment system. Which is the one endorsed by BRP as the correct way for dealers to align Spyders. That is the system that we, Squared Away, uses.

We would be happy to align GunDoctor here in Las Vegas or if you can get 8 to 10 Spyders together in the LA area we would be happy to come to you. If you host the event your alignment would be free.

ARtraveler
02-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Touchy subject. I knew that an alignment sponsor or two would be jumping in.

I have no problem with people earning a living, but a new machine should come out of the dealer according to specs. Why should a new purchaser have to cough up $120 - $150 just to make it right.

Hence my suggestion that a laser alignment should be performed by the selling dealer as a part of the prep package.

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Touchy subject. I knew that an alignment sponsor or two would be jumping in.

I have no problem with people earning a living, but a new machine should come out of the dealer according to specs. Why should a new purchaser have to cough up $120 - $150 just to make it right.

Hence my suggestion that a laser alignment should be performed by the selling dealer as a part of the prep package.

And some of the dealers that have bought the equipment do align them as part of the setup. I agree that they should be aligned from the factory but they aren't. So you can complain and suffer through an ill handling Spyder and poor tire life or you can have your Spyder laser aligned. The choice is yours.

Grandpaspeed
02-08-2015, 05:47 PM
I am new to the Spyder world and have not picked up my F3 yet. So what I am to understand is that besides paying over 20000 for my new ride I am being told by several of you that I my need to spend another 150 for a alignment and that is acceptable to you all, all I can say is I wouldn't ever own another Spyder if I end up paying for a alignment on a brand new bike so my dealer will get it right or by by Spyder for me.

Motorcycledave
02-08-2015, 06:46 PM
If I had just dropped 20+ thousand dollars on a NEW Spyder and it was out of alignment it would be back
in the dealers hands faster than you can say fix it... Same with a new car if something is not right with it
take it to the dealer you got it from and let them know you expect it to be correct when you buy it and you
expect it to be correct when you come back to pick it up at NO CHARGE...
Why would you pay for an alignment or any other service for that matter :dontknow: that should have been done by the
Manufacture or dealer.... In California there is a division in the state called the B.A.R. Bureau of Automotive Repair
If your dealer and or BRP will not pay for it BAR will be happy to remind them that if they are currently enjoying doing
business in California and wish to continue and be licensed to do so they WILL fix your alignment to your satisfaction.
That is only my opinion.... and you all know about opinions....
Ride Safe
Dave

LV2RYDE
02-08-2015, 06:51 PM

I agree, most of good dealers are going to do it for free for you.
give it a try

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 08:05 PM
I will be calling them Monday to ask if or what was used to align my Spyder. Thanks for all the comments.

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Just checked out laser alignment shops in California, on 3 and none are even close to L.A. So just what does all the dealers use. I have 5 or 6 dealers around me, one which claims to be one of the largest, yet none of them are listed. So what are these dealers doing?

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Just checked out laser alignment shops in California, on 3 and none are even close to L.A. So just what does all the dealers use. I have 5 or 6 dealers around me, one which claims to be one of the largest, yet none of them are listed. So what are these dealers doing?

They do it the old way. BRP doesn't force them to buy the laser equipment

GunDoctor
02-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks Ann, will look into it tomorrow. They have my Girlfriends RSS for a trade in, so I will be back up soon.

Big Arm
02-08-2015, 11:13 PM
I am new to the Spyder world and have not picked up my F3 yet. So what I am to understand is that besides paying over 20000 for my new ride I am being told by several of you that I my need to spend another 150 for a alignment and that is acceptable to you all, all I can say is I wouldn't ever own another Spyder if I end up paying for a alignment on a brand new bike so my dealer will get it right or by by Spyder for me.

Please report back to this post, and let us know how you came out with your dealer.

SpyderAnn01
02-08-2015, 11:49 PM

You could consider a laser alignment as more of a performance modification. BRP has what they consider an acceptable range where they consider a Spyder to be "in alignment". This range may be perfectly acceptable to you but if it isn't a laser alignment will give your Spyder that extra bit of fine tuned handling and performance.

Gray Ghost
02-09-2015, 12:30 AM
When you look for who does ROLO laser alignments you can go to www.spydercomfort.com/dealers. There you will find a list of dealers by state and a listing of independents who do the alignments. The independents tend to be willing to travel if there is enough interest in an area to make it feasible.

I understand questioning why you should have to get a laser alignment. As SpyderAnne mentioned, BRP has a specification for alignment. The ROLO alignment will dial you in a lot better.

If you read the forum for very long you will read recommendations on changing out the stock shocks, swaybar, heim links, windshield arms, horn, etc. BRP furnished all those items with our bikes and they work according to BRP specs, but I do not regret having spent the money to improve my ride by purchasing some of those aftermarket upgrades.

latony007
02-09-2015, 03:04 PM
First off i agree with everyone the bike should be aligned properly from the dealer before you pick it up and if not they should make it right. However it appears that the old method still used by all the dealers here in socal (i have checked the site and there is no one closer than 350 miles for laser which is odd for the most populous all year riding area in the country) does not provide as accurate an alignment as the laser, and if not under warranty is more money. If you put together a group for So Cal i am in!

SpyderAnne can you PM me if a visit to the L.a. area ever does materialize? I say you do it in La Canada area somewhere and we can group ride up ACH after the alignments :)
This and the sway bar from what i have read here are the mods im most interested in currently.

Thanks

Lamonster
02-09-2015, 08:12 PM
I align pretty much every new Spyder that comes out of Lamonster Garage and Pitbull and I've aligned nine F3's including my own and only one was perfect out of the crate. That being said they were all within BRP's specs from the factory, just not perfect. Every Pitbull Spyder is aligned or checked before it hits the streets. You only get one shot at a first experience and they want it to be a good one and so do I. :doorag:

Highwayman2013
02-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I agree, most of good dealers are going to do it for free for you.
give it a tryOr say "they all do that."

Gray Ghost
02-09-2015, 11:14 PM
...miss alined toe cannot not cause pulling to one side or the other only uneven camber or a dragging caliper can cause side pull.

I would disagree on that, and based upon feedback from my customers and other ROLO customers based upon forum posts, they would disagree also.

SpyderAnn01
02-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Absolutely, all that can be adjusted is toe and miss alined toe cannot not cause pulling to one side or the other only uneven camber or a dragging caliper can cause side pull.
I would also suggest letting the dealer check the brakes. Camber on the spyder is nonadjustable so it's tires or calipers.
In general you should feel a slight drift to the right (left in Europe) due to road crown anything harder is normally brake drag.

I would disagree on that, and based upon feedback from my customers and other ROLO customers based upon forum posts, they would disagree also.

You've got that right! Maybe RTwing needs to loosen the jam nuts on his tie rods and give them a spin and then he can come back and tell us how it doesn't pull.

MikeinGA
02-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Check here: http://www.spydercomfort.com/alignment.htm

I thought they advertised on Spyder Lovers. My dealer uses them and it works great.

Mike

GunDoctor
02-11-2015, 12:47 PM
How much does this system cost if someone wanted to buy it?

Gray Ghost
02-11-2015, 08:47 PM
How much does this system cost if someone wanted to buy it?

Contact Mike at www.spydercomfort.com

GunDoctor
02-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Well, based on the fact that there are only 3 shops in CA. One would think someone would purchase the system here in the LA area and make a killing. Just as long the laser kit doesn't cost as much as BRP saddle bag.