PDA

View Full Version : Narrowing down CCW choices.

mowin
02-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Looking for a new CCW, and 2 of my contenders are Sig P 238 and Springfield XD series. I like the XDs and theXDm.
Any opinions on these?

I also like Kimbers ultra carry II, but its out of my $700 cap.
Im not a glock fan, so there off the list.

I'm leaning toward a 40cal, but a 9mm is a possibility.

Bob Denman
02-07-2015, 06:09 PM
You've got some REAL nice choices available! :thumbup:
If it was may money, and I didn't want a .45; I'd take a good look at the .40s... nojoke
(9mms are nice, but the .40 has more knockdown power in our World of "no more than 10 in the magazine")

WVFoxtrotter
02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
I carry 9x18 P-64. Small easy to conceal. I love it.

M109Dreamer
02-07-2015, 07:35 PM
I am looking at the XD's in .45. Like the thin profile. I have a XD 4" compact in a .40 and like it but is alot bulkier and harder to conceal. I would really like the Kimber Ultra + II in .45 but like you said its outside my budget as well.

I used to shoot nothing but .40 cal but with the prices of ammo increasing I went to the .45. You can reload it more ofter per case and I give up about 1 round capacity on most CCW's.

Cruzr Joe
02-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Ruger LCP 380, small easily concealed, gun up close gun.

Cruzr Joe

SNOOPY
02-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Looking for a new CCW, and 2 of my contenders are Sig P 238 and Springfield XD series. I like the XDs and theXDm.
Any opinions on these?

Consider a Smith & Wesson at all? :D

I have two M&P 9's I like it so much.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=s%26w+M%26p+9mm

mowin
02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Consider a Smith & Wesson at all? :D

I have two M&P 9's I like it so much.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=s%26w+M%26p+9mm

Yes I have, but I've cant find one to wrap my hands around. There that popular. I need to feel​ before I buy.

retread
02-07-2015, 08:13 PM
I've got an XD 40 sub-compact, it's a double stack, but I understand Springfield has a single stack version that might work for you.

john

DJFaninTN
02-07-2015, 08:42 PM
do yourself a favor and at least find a Shield from S&W to look at. it's about the perfect size

cjackg
02-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I am looking at the XD's in .45. Like the thin profile. I have a XD 4" compact in a .40 and like it but is alot bulkier and harder to conceal. I would really like the Kimber Ultra + II in .45 but like you said its outside my budget as well.

I used to shoot nothing but .40 cal but with the prices of ammo increasing I went to the .45. You can reload it more ofter per case and I give up about 1 round capacity on most CCW's.I have an XDS .45 and it is a nice shooting gun but still a little bulky and heavy to carry. I am finding that I carry my Taurus Slim 9mm more often.

Stormin54
02-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Any opinions on these?

I go with a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. Nice feel, not too big, not too small.

GOZFST
02-07-2015, 11:21 PM
I recently bought a Sig P238 to add to the collection. The choice was made after shooting a friends, I used to carry a Keltec 380 because of the conceal ability of it, but hated to shoot it. The SIG is REALLY nice to shoot. Sportsmans Warehouse had a Black Friday Special on them for $479 with a holster and night sights. You can't go wrong with any of the suggested ones, but keep in mind it's tought to carry all the time and the bigger/heavier the package the less likely you are to carry. I love carrying my Colt 1911 Defender, but rarely do to it's size.

M109Dreamer
02-07-2015, 11:48 PM
I go with a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. Nice feel, not too big, not too small.
Love this pistol and was looking that this one for the wife. Is it difficult to carry with it IWB?

Spyder ri
02-08-2015, 06:21 AM
I second on the sig p238. It's a quality made piece, perfect for concealed carry. I have an unused wallet holster, made for that gun. If you ever get one, just contact me. It's yours.....

kep-up
02-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Y'all ain't politically correct!
Donchano you are being watched? And heard? They gonna' come for you..........

Orange Spyder Man
02-08-2015, 08:58 AM
for me its a Glock.. I carry a Glock 19... no safety to fumble with... its on the trigger... and the larger capacity mag is a plus.. and Glocks will ALWAYS WORK !

osm

WhiteFang
02-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I third the Sig 238 -- feels like a baby 45 -- excellent grip and nice safety -- used to carry a double stack Taurus 9mm but the weight and bulk got to me -- I carry the Sig from dawn till dusk with no problem -- it shoot excellent and conceals nicely -- comes with a nice belt holster and extra mag -- bought another mag and carry 2 with me also-- sometimes use a shoulder holster when riding but belt holster is also comfortable.

NoLmtz
02-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 has incredible ergonomics with the backstraps. I keep looking at and testing the Walther PPQ - accurate, accurate, accurate and incredible feel!!

I hear all the arguments between .45 and 9mm and everyone thinks they need big calibers - a weapon is only as good as the operator - control of a 9mm can be better than big calibers in inexperienced operator hands. Plus 9mm is more readily available in the field (if it ever comes to that)!

My personal preference is obviously the 9mm.

mjw930
02-08-2015, 11:06 AM
If you like the P238 then take a hard look at it's 9MM brother, the P938 (on the right in this picture)

http://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_6768-1024x682.jpg

I have a P238, Ruger LCP and XDS .45 I rotate through CCW duty and the P238 is hands down the best shooter. The LCP with laser conceals the best and the XDS is a good shooter with a lot of power but it's impossible to conceal in the summer.

The S&W Shield is comparable to the XDS but the XD has a better trigger IMHO and shoots softer.

mowin
02-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Lots of great info. The XD is really nice. haven't held the Walther PPQ. Mite have to give that one a look.
Oh the choices.....

Bob Denman
02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I f you want to carry REALLY concealed; these'll happily ride in your front pocket...
101926 The Seecamp. They come in two flavors: .32 ACP, and .380 ACP.
(I've got the .32, but would love to find a .380 in this tiny package!

Sempyder
02-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Springfield XD is the way I went. Not only did it feel like an extension of my hand but due to it being completely ambidextrous I bought another. Now both hands have one.

Sempert out,

mowin
02-08-2015, 02:46 PM
I f you want to carry REALLY concealed; these'll happily ride in your front pocket...
101926 The Seecamp. They come in two flavors: .32 ACP, and .380 ACP.
(I've got the .32, but would love to find a .380 in this tiny package!

Ya thats a true pocket pistol. I'm going to be heading to a few shops this week to see what my choices are.

ElgynSpyder
02-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I have small hands and was looking for a nice conceal carry weapon. My first purchase was the M&P Shield. Love this weapon, as I also have other caliber M&P's. I did find it to be a little heavy to carry. Then I purchased the Kahr CW 380, loved the feel of this weapon in my hand. only problem I had was with the double spring in the slide, I could not pull the slide back. The salesman said it would become easier....it did not. Now I have the Sig. P238 with the night sights and this is the weapon for me, I loved it so much I purchased a second one.Just a females point of view.

Gordy
02-08-2015, 06:56 PM
has anyone seen the new 380 from Taurus this would be my choice

SDM
02-08-2015, 08:59 PM
In my quest to try a semi-auto a friend met me at QuickShot yesterday with some of his arsenal: A Ruger .22 target pistol, a .380, .40 and a .9 mm. I liked the Ruger - very easy to shoot. But I have come to the conclusion that a semi is not for me. Too heavy, felt uncomfortable and at times I would flinch when I shot the .380. That is not good with something that doesn't have a safety!!!:yikes: I am very seriously considering getting the S & W Ladysmith .38/.38+/.357 revolver. It's on what they call a "J" frame and fit very comfortably in my hand. Not too heavy. I do have a .22 Ruger that I will use for practice and to get more proficient before getting my CC license. Wish me luck!:2thumbs:

Bfromla
02-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Not the smallest but will defiantly stop them is the JUDGE! Wide range of ammo, I prefer open Cary myself with full frame but 5rounds of 00 buck &for the new "zombie" rounds make a HOLE! Or several. Keep a slug in for last, good measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDM
02-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Not the smallest but will defiantly stop them is the JUDGE! Wide range of ammo, I prefer open Cary myself with full frame but 5rounds of 00 buck &for the new "zombie" rounds make a HOLE! Or several. Keep a slug in for last, good measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just checked it out and a video on their website. Holy hell!!!:yikes: That'll put a very large hole in someone!!!

kep-up
02-09-2015, 06:53 AM
In general, and I would hope always, the CCW will be used in an up close self defense situation. I like the S&W Bodyguard 380. It's compact, holds 7 rounds. True, the double action is a bit heavy, but up close and scared, that isn't going to matter much.

Of course, you could use one like in my avatar. If hearing the hammer clicking and the cylinder rotating doesn' scare off the bad guy, after the first shot there'll be enough smoke that he won't be able to see you.

bill pitman
02-09-2015, 07:11 AM
to get back into handguns.
Bought a Ruger SR9c 9mm on Saturday.
I was looking at the LC9s too.
Liked the looks and feel of the SR.
Haven't fired a round thru it yet.....

Bill

Any opinions on these?

Bob Denman
02-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Of course, you could use one like in my avatar. If hearing the hammer clicking and the cylinder rotating doesn' scare off the bad guy, after the first shot there'll be enough smoke that he won't be able to see you.
Just use it to beat the :cus: to death... :thumbup:
They make GREAT hammers.
Here's my Hammer: 101981
A T/C Scout in .54 caliber... Because they DON'T make a .58! :bowdown:

SpyderFun
02-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Lots of good advice!

Remember WHY you are buying it and WHAT you intend on using it for and against WHO.

That said, here is my 2-cents, NEVER compromise on "knock down potential" for feel or size. A large attacker on drugs requires a greater knock down amount of energy vs a small framed woman. A lesson every CCL American should have learned from Ferguson.

Also consider what bullets you will be using(i.e. a higher cal with a lower grain load) to reduce recoil improving accuracy for a "double tap" and to prevent "thru and thru" penetration - you want to stop the person not shoot thru them. Most "gun fights" are less than 20 feet so really any gun will be "accurate" at that distance. No gun, regardless of how accurate it is, can control the rush of adrenaline which effects your ability to hit anything - even at a closer range.

Finally, know your State laws regarding the difference between "self defense" and "brandishing a firearm". One can save your life while the other can ruin it.

Orange Spyder Man
02-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Before buying any pistol go to a range that rents various guns. Try several. Then make your choice...holding a gun & shooting one is different as night and day...what ever you buy...get professional traning...your life will depend on your skills...