PDA

View Full Version : Totally changed my mind about Can-Ams

petegtsv10
02-07-2015, 02:54 PM
My wife has an RT that she's ridden 12K miles in the last couple of years. I've ridden it occasionally and don' t like it all. I don't like the handling, suspension, brakes, engine,etc. I've ridden it maybe 1000 miles and never changed my opinion of it. However, my wife (also a motorcyclist) likes her RT. She has an F3 on the way maybe next week. I did my first F3 ride today and I LOVED IT!!!! The steering is planted and it doesn't wallow (we had a BajaRon bar, too) the brakes are stout. The ACE engine is very nice and the F3 actually has some low end tq. It felt almost like a motorcycle to me. Did I mention that I LOVE IT?? My only complaint was the way the engine cuts out at each shift with the semi-auto tranny. That's a non-issue as we are getting a manual. BRP has a home run on their hands with this one!!!

ARtraveler
02-07-2015, 02:56 PM
My wife has an RT that she's ridden 12K miles in the last couple of years. I've ridden it occasionally and don' t like it all. I don't like the handling, suspension, brakes, engine,etc. I've ridden it maybe 1000 miles and never changed my opinion of it. However, my wife (also a motorcyclist) likes her RT. She has an F3 on the way maybe next week. I did my first F3 ride today and I LOVED IT!!!! The steering is planted and it doesn't wallow (we has a BajaRon bar, too) the brakes are stout. The ACE engine is very nice and the F3 actually has some low end tq. It felt almost like a motorcycle to me. Did I mention that I LOVE IT?? My only complaint was the way the engine cuts out at each shift with the semi-auto tranny. That's a non-issue as we are getting a manual. BRP has a home run on their hands with this one!!!

Thank you for posting your impressions. The F3 is turning a lot of heads and changing quite a few opinions about the :spyder2: brand. It does appear that another winner has arrived.

BajaRon
02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
You can compare an older model Cadillac to a late model Camaro and say Chevy has changed your mind. But you're really talking about 2 very different machines. One designed for long distance comfort with the ability to carry a lot of gear to a vehicle designed for performance. Not to mention the updates to power-plant, ect., from the manufacturer.

Everything is a trade-off. The F3 will do well because it appeals to a completely different customer than does the RT. And because there are a lot of people out there, like you, who have not had a Spyder that does what the F3 does.

Tom in NM
02-07-2015, 03:14 PM
I did my first F3 ride today and I LOVED IT!!!! The steering is planted and it doesn't wallow the brakes are stout. The ACE engine is very nice and the F3 actually has some low end tq. It felt almost like a motorcycle to me. Did I mention that I LOVE IT?? My only complaint was the way the engine cuts out at each shift with the semi-auto tranny. That's a non-issue as we are getting a manual. BRP has a home run on their hands with this one!!!

. . . . you are not in love with your wife's RT.

Yes, the F3 is lovable. My experience with both the Demo rides I took and my F3 match yours . . . . EXCEPT for the engine cutting off when you shift. :hun: Nothing like that. No hesitation in either sound or power when taking off from a dead stop to 45mph at high throttle. Just 3 quick shifts - fast and smooth power curve.

I am sorry to ask this - you sound like an experienced rider - but are you throttling down when you shift the SE ( like you would on a manual/clutch motorcycle )? To me, one of the amazing things about the SE is how you keep the throttle 'steady' and it does it's clutch magic for a seamless power-curve. That "engine cutting out" does not sound right.

Tom

Chupaca
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM
they are all different you just found the one that is right for you..brp must of had you in mind when they cranked out the F3's...your gonna be a grinnin from now on...:yes::yes::thumbup:

petegtsv10
02-07-2015, 06:09 PM
. . . . you are not in love with your wife's RT.

Yes, the F3 is lovable. My experience with both the Demo rides I took and my F3 match yours . . . . EXCEPT for the engine cutting off when you shift. :hun: Nothing like that. No hesitation in either sound or power when taking off from a dead stop to 45mph at high throttle. Just 3 quick shifts - fast and smooth power curve.

I am sorry to ask this - you sound like an experienced rider - but are you throttling down when you shift the SE ( like you would on a manual/clutch motorcycle )? To me, one of the amazing things about the SE is how you keep the throttle 'steady' and it does it's clutch magic for a seamless power-curve. That "engine cutting out" does not sound right.

Tom
No, I kept the throttle constant while shifting and the engine paused for a split second at each shift as it does when you do a poor shift on a manual tranny. Two of our cars have "auto-manual" type trannies and there have no hesitations at all. Maybe their demo has a problem.

petegtsv10
02-07-2015, 06:10 PM
they are all different you just found the one that is right for you..brp must of had you in mind when they cranked out the F3's...your gonna be a grinnin from now on...:yes::yes::thumbup:
It's my wife's , so I'll rarely ride it.

Tom in NM
02-07-2015, 07:06 PM
No, I kept the throttle constant while shifting and the engine paused for a split second at each shift as it does when you do a poor shift on a manual tranny. Two of our cars have "auto-manual" type trannies and there have no hesitations at all. Maybe their demo has a problem.

Yeah, I would try another demo if you have any interest in a SE and let the dealer know - really, there should be no hesitation.

Tom

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
:agree:....with Tom in NM......I think the F-3 you tried my not have been set up right or something . I DRAG Raced my RSS SE and shifted with Full Power at all times down the track......never noticed any skip or hesitation......I haven't driven my 14 RT with an SE trans as hard but that doesn't hesitate either .....I would try a different one ..........Mike :thumbup:

dlby
02-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Im glad u found what u like

Im a 60 year old life long biker
All kinds of rides
Been on an 2014 rtse6 for 3k miles
Just now flowing in the groove!

I would never criticize any bike due to fact that many people are riding them & that to me is slamming the person also
Man & machine become pne eh?

dlby
02-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Become one that is
Duh

petegtsv10
02-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I would try another demo if you have any interest in a SE and let the dealer know - really, there should be no hesitation.

Tom
She has no interest in an SE.

Retired 2012
02-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Glad you liked the F3...
Some call them ugly but I really enjoy the look and the ride.
The F3-S is my first Spyder, I got the manual shift and really enjoy it, feel more like I am still riding a motorcycle..(two wheel).
I have a very bad back and the ride causes me a lot less pain the my other bikes did.
I'm glad not everyone wants one, it nice to have something new and limited.
Had people giving me waves, smiles and thumbs up as I rode today. When I stopped for lunch people ask what it is and if it is " as fun to ride as it looks", I just smile and say "Yep, it sure is.:yes:

Enjoy it.

den1953
02-08-2015, 06:43 AM
The F3 finally has me ready to make that switch from two wheels to three. I've been seriously considering a Can Am Spyder for the last couple of years and I actually demoed two RTs, a 2013 and a 2014. While they were nice and very well equipped I just wasn't totally comfortable and not really excited about the looks. The F3 has changed all of that and now that I've actually sat on one in my dealer's showroom I'm getting excited about taking one out for a demo ride. Now if Spring would just hurry up & get here I'd be over at the dealer demo riding and negotiating a purchase.