PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Called me today

Retired 2012
02-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Dealer called an informed me that my F3-S needs a new ECM and some updates. They said only a few have issues so there will not be a recall.
They'll have the part in late next week.
Anyone else get the same call?
This is my first Spyder, but I haven't noticed any thing unusual with the way it runs.
The staff member that called didn't know what it did or why BRP wanted it replaced.
Anyone know what the ECM does and what would happen if it goes out before the switch is done??:dontknow:
Thanks for your assistance.

Highwayman2013
02-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Hoping for the best. That didn't take long.

Grandpaspeed
02-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Dealer called an informed me that my F3-S needs a new ECM and some updates. They said only a few have issues so there will not be a recall.
This is my first Spyder, but I haven't noticed any thing unusual with the way it runs.
The staff member that called didn't know what it did or why BRP wanted it replaced.
Anyone know what the ECM does and what would happen if it goes out before the switch is done??:dontknow:
Electronics can be a problem at times it's great that BRP is on this so quickly.

Chupaca
02-07-2015, 02:17 AM
to the spyder world. Congrats on the new ryde..!! :2thumbs: the ECM is the engine control module and does a series of things. If you can download the free app "spyder codes" for android or "my spyder" for Iphone that our own Roger Rattigan has put together. This is the best tool you can get for your spyder. It will explain all codes and abbreviations. Problems and possible solutions. Help while traveling etc etc. Have heard grumblings about this but just let the dealer get you fixed up...:thumbup:

RPM
02-07-2015, 03:02 AM

Were you having any problems? How did they know your F3 needed a new ECM? I'm doing the paperwork on mine tomorrow and picking it up on Wednesday. Do you know what I should look for or ask about before I take it home?

Congrats on your F3-S!

Tom in NM
02-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Chupaca is right, the ECM is the Electronic Control Module, you can think of it as the "brain" of the Spyder. Modern cars and trucks have them too.

It is a Real-time Computer that coordinates all the sensors and servos in the Spyder. The Spyder ( and modern cars, trucks and airplanes ) have bundles of sensors and servos that need to work together. For example, if someone sits on the passenger seat and triggers that sensor, the ECM will use a "recipe" for the brakes, throttle, transmission, steering that compensates for the added weight. Or if you turn on the Eco Mode, it will adjust the transmission and engine/throttle/carburetor to give you the most efficient fuel utilization curve instead of power. It is the ECM that down-shifts or up-shifts automatically when the transmission/speedometer/throttle sensors reach a certain relationship. Another example is how on the F3 you have to have the brake pedal depress in order to shift into Neutral. Another is a 'speed governor' that will disregard more throttle input after a certain speed and therefore not allow the Spyder or vehicle to go over a certain speed. ( I don't know if the Spyder does that or not ) All of those are "recipes" that are held in the "memory" of the ECM and come into play anytime you startup the Spyder.

It takes man-years of programming to get the all the mechanical systems and sensors to work together in the way the manufacturer wants them to. Every time you take the Spyder in for service and they plug it in, it "reports" the bikes performance any error codes from the ECM - both to the shop computer and to BRP. Like Chupaca, mentioned - There Is An App For That. If the ECM detects an anomaly in a sensor or if the performance record does not match up with the desired results, the ECM will 'throw a code' - some of these will appear on your LCD gauges, others, it will just hold in it's memory until it is connected to a computer. The computer ( or App ) translates the codes so you get an idea of what is going on. I assume that BRP analyses all these performance records and 'tunes' the formulas/recipes based on a growing database of real-world performance and will update ( flash write ) to the ECM's memory when the Spyder is connected to the shop's computer.

Sensors and ECMs can and do go bad, and they need to be changed out for all the systems to operate correctly. Sometimes, based on the ECM's self-diagnostic data, they can tell it is going to fail in some way and they replace it. Sometimes ( like the Ignition Switch problem in some cars ) they discover an error in a batch of ECMs and recall them. Since you got the call, this sounds like what you are experiencing.

So, until it is replaced, what should you do? I would still ride, but I would be EXTRA vigalant. I would not take any long trips ( Limp Mode may come on ) or ride in any situation where total Spyder performance is critical ( high speed expressway or precision maneuvering ) is required. I would hope that if they knew of a serious defect in your ECM, they would have told you that, but given that you got the impression that "they didn't know what it [ the ECM ] did", I would go into "High Vigilant Mode". Note, for me that is not Scared Mode or Depressed Mode or Angry Mode. You may choose not to ride until the ECM is replaced, that is understandable too. Since you have not noticed anything 'unusual', I would ride - but I probably would keep to the riding patterns that I had been doing - nothing new or challenging.

Grandpaspeed nailed it when he said that it is great that BRP ( and your Dealer ) are on this so quickly. When the ECM comes in, get it replaced as soon as you can. Until then, enjoy your F3, just be Vigilant.

Tom

ARtraveler
02-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Glad to see and hear that your dealer is taking a pro active stance on "issues."

There were also a couple glitches on the 2014's when they first hit the streets. Quick attention, seemed to solve problems.

Retired 2012
02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.
I had a great ride today and didn't have any issues at all, but I'll keep vigilant.
I too am glad that they are proactive.

Good news today, I got confirmation that the promotional 2 years of BEST warranty was added to my bike.
So thanks for the extra 2 years BRP and thanks for the assistance of the dealership.

Still lov'in this bike:yes: