PDA

View Full Version : Following up on my first F3 impressions

Tom in NM
02-04-2015, 04:56 PM
After a few hundred miles:

I am probably getting at least 5mpg more than the ST-S. I expect this to get better.
The F3 'boot-up' to start is less than 3 seconds. A+
Night riding is great - much more light than the ST-S, better focus, gauges look very good.
During the day, in bright light, the LCD gauge is not easy to see.
The passenger sensor cable is awkward when opening the tool boot ( which is also awkward to close and lock ).
Still adjusting to being lower - everything seems faster than on the ST-S. ( though, it is faster than the ST-S )
Take-off from a start to 45mph is smoooooooth and quick. Feels effortless.
Handling above 55mph is quick, assured and stable. Very responsive.
Turn signals work much better than on the ST-S, but that may be because it can corner much sharper.
The throttle feels more like my cabled GS, than the ST-S. I always felt the ST-S throttle was overly sensitive and took a lot of adjustment to get used to it.
Got stuck in a horrendous stop-and-go-a-few-feet traffic jam for 45 minutes - it was mid-50s out, the fan came on a couple of times for short periods. The temp gauge never went above normal. Didn't feel hot.
Corners, sharp ones, are amazing - like you are on rails. 45 degrees at 20 - 25 mph, no nanny and full control. So nice.
After a salt, sand, slush, mud coating - the cleanup (exposed engine) was much better and easier that I expected. Though, there are a lot of places that are hard to get to.
When shifting from Reverse or Neutral into First, you must be stopped and pressing the brake. You can shift into Reverse if you are rolling and the brake is not required.
Shifting from Reverse to First is one shift - you cannot shift into Neutral from Reverse - you go to First and then must downshift. I will get used to that, but I used to always leave the ST-S in Neutral, I can't tell you how many times I have left the F3 in First when turning it off - and then wondering later why it isn't starting when I hit the starter button.
It is not Yellow ( I loved the yellow on the ST-S ) and the red frame looks orange to me. ( I will fix both of those )
I keep on looking for the Parking Brake on the center console, not on the handlebars. ( but I like it there better )
The suspension is real different - smoother in most conditions, but occasionally it will bump me up off the seat. Overall better than my stock ST-S, just different.
It has been cool, but I have not smelled any gas fumes. ( maybe it is not a Spyder? )
The Cruiser foot-up will turns my pants into an air-scoop - thrilling on those cold wet rides.
Putting in gas is pretty easy and clean - I miss the clicking gas cap. At gas stations, if someone was looking at the Spyder when I was filling it up, I would always finish by "Winding it up, for the extra MPGs." ( hey, I thought it was funny )
Shifting and motor revs are great - 6th gear feels so good, the power is there, but the torque whine is gone.

OK, so here is what I think most people should pay attention to when taking a Demo ride or looking at one at the dealership.

Getting On and Off - real different from a ST-S. I am fine with it and getting faster and more graceful ( I hope ) but, I would guess that some riders will have a tough time adjusting to it. I will be putting a 'stirrup' on mine. I am using the passenger pegs for the "up and over" part of the mount - then stepping/sliding down to the rider pegs and "sliding in". The seat feels great ( your butt's mileage may be different ). No more just hopping off & on while it is still rolling. It almost feels like you have a seat belt on - no sliding around.

Windshield sort-of-is. I am 5'7", I have the Blue Ridge shield. Sitting, my chin is above the top of the shield. Cruisers don't have windshields ( not the real ones ) - so you are getting more protection, but it may not be enough for a lot of riders. It is A LOT better than the shield-less demo ride I took. The rider envelope does go over ( just ) my head, but you get wind in the face. I don't wear a helmet, but I may get one that fits me better than my current one. Goggles are a must for me, until then. All that being said - I am actually getting to like it - but the bugs have not arrived yet. My guess, the windshield will be the Number 1 mod most people will do. Personally, I would want a better shield and/or helmet on for distance rides.

So, even though it is not Yellow, I am going to keep it. I loved my GS and ST-S, but the F3 performs like how I thought a Spyder should when I first saw it.

I am going for a ride now - later!

Tom

ARtraveler
02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions of the F3. It sounds like a very good version of the :spyder2: :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Chupaca
02-04-2015, 08:03 PM
very thorogh review. Thanks for taking valuable ryding time to post this for us..:bowdown:..now enjoy the open road...:ohyea::ohyea:

SPYD3R
02-04-2015, 08:08 PM
FANTASTIC REVIEW......
I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY WHEN I PICK MINE UP.......
dp

Tom in NM
02-04-2015, 08:34 PM
FANTASTIC REVIEW......
I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY WHEN I PICK MINE UP.......
dp

If you only enjoy it half as much as I do mine, you are in for a big treat!

Tom

LV2RYDE
02-04-2015, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Tom in NM;931248

So, even though it is not Yellow, I am going to keep it. I loved my GS and ST-S, but the F3 performs like how I thought a Spyder should when I first saw it.

I am going for a ride now - later!

Tom[/QUOTE]
tom
i wait for your daily report, thanks for sharing

Retired 2012
02-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Tom,
It is great to know that my first spyder is one that previous spyder owners are very happy with, too.
I can only compare it to my past bikes, but I agree with you that it is quick, very responsive and comfortable.
The made thing for me is my rides so far have been pain free, and that never happened on my last two bikes.
Having a bad back sucks, but finding a great riding bike like this means I can continue to enjoy the wind in my face.
Great write up and thanks for the webpage of the owners manual.
Still smiling:2thumbs:

Dochands
02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Thank you for this post. Very informative and helpful to a current RS owner.

hawkiii
02-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Another enjoyable read. Tom, you do great at explaining your thoughts. I'll be placing my order in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Looking at the F3. Don't really like the fenders on the F3-S. Thanks again for the nice read.