PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder Lover

cjryder
02-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I recently made my annual trek to the Cleveland Intl Motorcycle show. As usual I went straight to the Harley booth, then immediately to the Bmw booth as these have been my bikes of choice for more than 40 years. Neither brand offered anything new that stirred my motorcycle spirit. Yea, I saw some nice bikes but nothing that made me say wow. I then started to walk aimlessly thru the isles thinking maybe I was just getting old and finally losing interest in my pursuit of the perfect motorcycle. Then I came to the Can Am Spyder booth. I stopped and just stared at the bright colors, sharp lines, beautiful wheels, and that F3 just swept me off my feet. I said wow out loud. To be honest, I regained my composure and said to myself, it's a trike, I mean a reverse trike. I will never have a trike. Just like I said I would never wear a helmet ,or have a bike with a wind screen many years ago. I finished walking thru the booth and never stopped to ask any questions.
So I'm driving home and I just couldn't get that F3 out of my head. Then I started thinking that maybe at this time of my life (64) this might be what I am looking for. My 2013 Road King is just not very comfortable and I am tired of pushing 800 lbs around on my tip toes, especially on gravel. As soon as I got home I got online and went to the Can Am website. Within two minutes I came across the F3 with the escape package. Wow, I mean holy wow where have you been all my life. I immediately searched for A Spyder forum. I had to find out if there were others out there that knew about these things. Then I found this website. This was the icing on the cake. I spent hours reading and looking before registering. I especially liked all the chat about going to Alaska, because that is something I have always wanted to do for as long as I can remember.
Anyway I live in NE Ohio so I won't be able to do a test ride for awhile. But I did call my nearest dealer and introduced myself and told the guy I was coming in with a few questions on Saturday. I need to calm down and take a breath, I really don't think I should run out and buy something this different without a test ride. Although, I did watch the guy with the helmet cam do a test ride twice. I really like your forum and look forward to becoming a Spyder lover myself. Also, I promise to keep it shorter next time. Thanks for being here!
CJryder

SPYD3R
02-03-2015, 09:02 PM
JOIN US CJRIDER......
we all would love to see you riding that F3... :yes: i pick mine up this week....
your story sounds like sooooooo many we've heard here.... i myself, at 67, can no longer hold up 800 pounds of iron.... hip, knees, feet are SHOT.... the SPYD3R came to me from Heaven, and i've never looked back... well, maybe to see the Harley's i left in the dust, but for nothing else... i've been riding mine since 2009, and now have 45,000+ miles of smiles....
GOOD LUCK with your decision making, and keep us posted, WE CARE....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

cuznjohn
02-03-2015, 09:03 PM
welcome and good luck

bmccaffrey
02-03-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't think u will be disappointed. I too am waiting for the weather to break so i can take a test ride.
I do have an RS and love it just want to see the differance.
Welcome aboard and good luck :thumbup:

JKMSPYDER
02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Congrats on your interest in a Spyder. Thousands of us have converted to the Spyders from two wheels the past 7 years. I think you will be hooked after you test ride one, especially the F3. I believe the F3 will really appeal to the cruiser crowd. We are glad you found this site. You can learn so much about Spyders here. Hope you will be riding one soon.

Chupaca
02-03-2015, 09:09 PM
glad you found us and had such a nice motorcycle rebirth. They are the greatest machines I have ever ryden. Once you test ryde one you will jump off that fence and run to a dealer. Maybe a weekend trip south and your life will change...good to have you along and we will expect pictures soon..:2thumbs: :ohyea::ohyea:

SpyderGTL
02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Welcome! If all goes as planned, I'll be making the switch from a BMW K1600 GTL to an F3S this Saturday. Though I love riding the big German bike, I'm really excited about making the switch. Hope you get to ride one soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yazz
02-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Just like I said I would never wear a helmet ,or have a bike with a wind screen many years ago. CJryder

So understand where you're coming from...

:welcome: Welcome to our little corner of the web!

Ben Burped
02-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Don't try one out unless you are ready to buy one. You will fall in love with it. I have two suggestions for a first time rider. First, steer it where you want to go. Second, have faith it will go there, because it will. Enjoy.

3 Wheel Rider
02-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the site CJRyder. Thanks for sharing your story, we're looking forward to hearing how it turns out. My guess is it will be a test ride followed by an F3 in your garage. No matter your reasons for looking at the Spyder, we are sure you will find what your looking for in the Spyder line. I chose the RT Limited because it provides me the opportunity to own a touring bike with all the bells and whistles... at 5'2" the street glides, wings, and other baggers proved too be to wide to touch the ground. Dont need to center up and balance a spyder... lol:trike:

Professor
02-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Welcome! If all goes as planned, I'll be making the switch from a BMW K1600 GTL to an F3S this Saturday. Though I love riding the big German bike, I'm really excited about making the switch. Hope you get to ride one soon!

I had to sell my BMW K1600 GTL a few months ago due to a developing neurological problem. I've owned quite a few bikes and for me, that particular Beemer is the finest motorcycle ever made. I recently bought a Spyder RT Limited. I'm still getting used to it, but enjoy it more every time I ride it. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow GTL rider.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Welcome you are in luck......on the upper right side of this page is a white box above " Advanced Search "......type this in....Best F3 Demo Ride Video.....exactly as I just typed it ......you will get 50 minutes of riding experience from an expert analyst...................Enjoy, it's worth it .........Mike :thumbup:

2ndChildhood
02-03-2015, 09:53 PM
CJryder, you need to check out Spyderfest at the end of April with your new F3. I bought a new RTL in 2012 The best thing I've ever did. Been loving every minute of it.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Highwayman2013
02-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Welcome, get that ride even if it's in the parking lot!

Tom in NM
02-04-2015, 12:48 AM
I really like your forum and look forward to becoming a Spyder lover myself.
CJryder

Sounds like you already are. ;)

I got got a PM from another new owner today and I thought he summed up the new-to Spyder rider experience very well.

"I have to say it is some of the most fun I have had in a long time! I was worried that it wasn't going to be a bike, but once you look at it as a completely new riding style it is a fun new skill to master!"

I hope when you get the chance for some hands-on time with one, you go for it. You will be in a lot of good company.

Been there, Seen that, Riding a Spyder now.

Tom

vided
02-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Welcome you are in luck......on the upper right side of this page is a white box above " Advanced Search "......type this in....Best F3 Demo Ride Video.....exactly as I just typed it ......you will get 50 minutes of riding experience from an expert analyst...................Enjoy, it's worth it .........Mike :thumbup:

wow, outstanding video, thanks for the link:2thumbs::2thumbs::clap::clap:

GloryRyders
02-04-2015, 07:51 AM
.:welcome:...............you done been :spyder:bit! :2thumbs::yes:

Bob Denman
02-04-2015, 08:14 AM
:welcome: :yes::ohyea::yes:
If you think that the Spyders are cool; wait until you discover the farkling process! :D

viperryder
02-04-2015, 08:41 AM
I recently made my annual trek to the Cleveland Intl Motorcycle show. As usual I went straight to the Harley booth, then immediately to the Bmw booth as these have been my bikes of choice for more than 40 years. Neither brand offered anything new that stirred my motorcycle spirit. Yea, I saw some nice bikes but nothing that made me say wow. I then started to walk aimlessly thru the isles thinking maybe I was just getting old and finally losing interest in my pursuit of the perfect motorcycle. Then I came to the Can Am Spyder booth. I stopped and just stared at the bright colors, sharp lines, beautiful wheels, and that F3 just swept me off my feet. I said wow out loud. To be honest, I regained my composure and said to myself, it's a trike, I mean a reverse trike. I will never have a trike. Just like I said I would never wear a helmet ,or have a bike with a wind screen many years ago. I finished walking thru the booth and never stopped to ask any questions.
So I'm driving home and I just couldn't get that F3 out of my head. Then I started thinking that maybe at this time of my life (64) this might be what I am looking for. My 2013 Road King is just not very comfortable and I am tired of pushing 800 lbs around on my tip toes, especially on gravel. As soon as I got home I got online and went to the Can Am website. Within two minutes I came across the F3 with the escape package. Wow, I mean holy wow where have you been all my life. I immediately searched for A Spyder forum. I had to find out if there were others out there that knew about these things. Then I found this website. This was the icing on the cake. I spent hours reading and looking before registering. I especially liked all the chat about going to Alaska, because that is something I have always wanted to do for as long as I can remember.
Anyway I live in NE Ohio so I won't be able to do a test ride for awhile. But I did call my nearest dealer and introduced myself and told the guy I was coming in with a few questions on Saturday. I need to calm down and take a breath, I really don't think I should run out and buy something this different without a test ride. Although, I did watch the guy with the helmet cam do a test ride twice. I really like your forum and look forward to becoming a Spyder lover myself. Also, I promise to keep it shorter next time. Thanks for being here!
CJryder

I hope you called Johnny K's. He is a sponsor here and I have dealt with him or them for two years. Great service and better yet, one of the best service tec's in the business, in Johnny Young. Can't beat him. Good luck and welcome to the world of THREE Wheel enjoyment.:yes::yes:

Roadster Renovations
02-04-2015, 09:55 AM
:welcome: Get your "Spyder Groove" on!

ARtraveler
02-04-2015, 03:15 PM
:welcome: you have found the site for all things :spyder2:

You may have also noticed that we are a bit biased about the :ani29: :roflblack::roflblack:

A friendly word of caution. Leave the checkbook at home if you actually do not want to buy a :spyder2:. My guess is that you are already hooked. All you need is your questions answered and a test ride to seal the deal.

I purchased my first :ani29: at about the same age as you. I sold off my 950# Vulcan 2000cc--because it was just to heavy for me to be comfortable anymore. I did purchase a 900 Vulcan a couple years later as a second bike. That also had to finally go away in 2012 when my hip would not tolerate the 750# weight.

Bottom line: You are going to like the :spyder2: and not miss two wheels very much.

Let us know what you do.

SPYD3R
02-04-2015, 04:03 PM
YIKES.....! ! ! !
had you purchased a new F3 in January, you would have received their Warranty Promotion... that's a 4 year Warranty, 2 yrs more than the standard...
however, if you do decide to buy, i would argue till i was blue in the face for that warranty.... best of luck pal... let us know what you decide to to....
caio
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

vondalyn
02-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Then I came to the Can Am Spyder booth. I stopped and just stared at the bright colors, sharp lines, beautiful wheels, and that F3 just swept me off my feet. I said wow out loud.

This. I LOVE this!

Cjryder -- you're one up on me. I had a 2012 RT Limited that I put over 30,000 miles on just driving in the mountains after work and weekends in the past 2 years. In September, I saw pictures of the F3 and ordered one sight unseen. I have yet to see one in person and I have yet to sit on one. Luckily I get to go pick it up on Friday and the weather is supposed to be in the 60's this weekend and early next week so I'll get to smile and say "wow" myself :yes:

Purple Guy
02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
:welcome:

If you got a question or 30 :roflblack: you've come to the right place!

Deanna777
02-04-2015, 08:19 PM
:welcome:glad you found this # 1 site. We are here to help you, ask questions. :nopic:

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 then I traded up to a 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

cjryder
02-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone for all the good comments. Yes, I did call Johnny K's and I'm stopping in there Saturday morning. Yes, I did watch the test ride video. I put the word out that my 2013 Road King was for sale and I already got an offer. I am not surprised because I know the guy. I told him I wanted to think about it a couple more days. This whole experience is moving really fast. I just can't see me buying without a test drive. But I did buy my first Bmw (96 RT) without a test ride. I am going to back up a little and look at all the models to make sure I understand the choices. But I must admit the F3 really got my attention. Anyway, thanks again, I will keep you posted on my progress.

den1953
02-05-2015, 08:25 AM
I didn't make it to the show this year but I've been following and anticipating the F3 for the last several months. Like you I'm still a 2 wheel motorcycle rider and still have my Victory Cross Country in my garage on a battery maintainer. I just had left knee surgery back in December and my right one isn't very good. I'll be 62 years young in March and each year it has gotten a little harder to hold a big bike up with my wife on the back. My dealer, American Powersports in Findlay Ohio just got his first F3 in a week ago and has just gotten it uncrated, assembled and parked in his showroom. Now if I didn't have a dozen other things going on at the moment or this rotten winter weather I'd be over there in a flash to get an up close & personal look at it. I'll also need a sit-down test of the seat but it will take a demo ride on it or one like it to seal the deal so-to-speak but his Northwest Ohio Winter has got to take a hike first. Enjoy your new ride whenever your get it and keep the rest of us posted on your progress.

Don in E Texas
02-05-2015, 08:45 AM
..you will find a LOT of good folks and tons of information here. I'm on my 3rd Spyder --- just got home last night with #3 - brand new 2014, Black, RT-S SE6.

Don

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2014models/2014-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S1-small.jpg (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2014models/2014-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S1.jpg)

PrairieSpyder
02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
:welcome:

What a love story!

I'm so glad you found us!

Big Mike
02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Sat on an F3 at the dealer a couple of days ago. Wow! Sitting still I felt like I was on a hot rod. I'm in love with my RT and really want the storage for long trips, but if I could have 2 Spyders....:). It would be a thrill to take that F3 out and about for the afternoon. Good luck with your choice!

cjryder
02-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Update & Questions:
I went to the local dealer today. He had two F3-S's on the floor. One Red (Orange) and the other was Magnesium. Both were automatics. I liked both colors equally. Not sure about the automatic situation. I'm kinda old school, thinking manual, but I am also willing to try new things. First question, is there any reason I should chose an automatic over the manual?
Second Question: I am thinking about getting the escape package. They could'nt show me what the bags look like. They are not the same as the ST bags. The salesman said they were not exactly a "hard" case and maybe a little smaller than the ST cases. More like a sofft bag. I am not sure I like the side bags. Are there any other choices for side bags? Has anyone seen these side bags up close?
I sat on several different models and I felt most at home on the F3. It was very comfortable and fit me perfect. I mean it really felt right. I am not sure about waiting for a test ride. My first opportunity might be bikeweek, (Daytona) if I go. I'm almost 65, I'm not sure I will live another 5 weeks. I think I am going to sell my Road King maybe tomorrow, I just have to call this guy and tell him he can have it, we already agreed on a price. I know the guy and he is solid. Depending on feedback, I really think I would prefer a manual shifter, I just don't get the thrill of a paddle. The only thing I like about the automatic would be the automatic down shifting. Would appreciate comments. Thanks!
CJ

Professor
02-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Sounds to me like you have a bad case of F3ver. I'm thinking you'll enjoy either transmission, but I'm surprised how much I like the semi-auto. When I have that need for speed, acceleration is really quick when you can run through the gears by thumb flicks with the throttle wide open. The automatic down-shifting and not messing with a clutch is nice in heavy traffic. And if I want to keep the RPM up by down-shifting earlier, all it takes is a flick of my index finger on the back side of the shifter - no clutch - no throttle manipulation.

cjryder
02-06-2015, 06:28 AM
Professor,
Now I know why they call you the professor. You made some excellent points. And yes, I really have a 3ver. That alone might be enough to wait on a test ride. Daytona is along way to go for a test ride. This is what February in Ohio is for, to think about things. If I took a snow mobile for a ride would that be close enough? Any wisdom on the side cases / bags. I was thinking maybe Givi might eventually offer something.
CJ

den1953
02-06-2015, 07:25 AM
As soon as I can find out what size and length the bolts are that hold the passenger hand rails on are and what the distance is center-to-center between them I'll get that Information to the maker of Easy Brackets. These are lockable quick detach brackets for mounting aftermarket saddlebags. There are many different sizes and shapes of aftermarket saddlebags, painted/paintable kinds and leather covered ones. The best thing about them is that they cost no more and often less then half what the Can Am saddlebags do. Being as Lamont has made custom passenger grab rails, he already knows the bolt sizes & length as well as the distance between the centers. Maybe he can share that info.

Professor
02-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Professor,
Now I know why they call you the professor. You made some excellent points. And yes, I really have a 3ver. That alone might be enough to wait on a test ride. Daytona is along way to go for a test ride. This is what February in Ohio is for, to think about things. If I took a snow mobile for a ride would that be close enough? Any wisdom on the side cases / bags. I was thinking maybe Givi might eventually offer something.
CJ
I can't help you with the side case / bag question. I have an RT Limited which already has all that built in. As you probably know, the RT is designed for touring and well adapted to 2-up riding and the F3 is a hot rod, but I'm guessing it will be fine for long trips too. I mainly chose the RT because after looking at several models, my wife pointed at the RT and said, "I'm not riding behind you unless you get one of those." The small passenger backrest that can be added to other models just didn't compare to the passenger support and comfort of the RT. On the other hand, I was at the dealership yesterday and saw one of the new F3s. Man they look good!!!!

I've never been on a snowmobile, so I can't help you with that one. I can tell you this about test rides. Based on the first 10 minutes or so of my test ride, I would not have bought a Spyder. I was over-controlling like crazy. Since you sit on it like a 2-wheeler and use handlebars, it fires all the motorcycle neurons in your brain, so when the Spyder leans the "wrong" way on a corner or when an uneven road suddenly tilts to the right or left, your brain tells you something is wrong. :shocked: So if the road suddenly tilted to the outside, I would perceive it as the Spyder careening toward the edge of the road and would steer back to the center. The fact is the Spyder was doing just fine and maintaining its line. It was me over-steering that was the problem. If I can give one word of advise on riding a Spyder, it is "RELAX". The new sensations of lateral force and tilting with the road surface make the Spyder seem squirrelly - and it can be a little, but most of the squirrellyness is in the operator. The Spyder is much more stable than you might think at first. You just have to give it some time for your brain to adapt to the new situation. I started riding motorcycles when I was 13 and am now 70, so the adaptation may be slower for me than most, but I now have about 500 miles on the RT (and a Bajaron anti-sway bar) and it's starting to feel really good. I think most people adapt much faster than I have. Some may read this post and say, "What the heck is he talking about?" :) In any case, the Spyder is a blast to ride and with the lower center of gravity, I'm guessing the F3 feels more solid right from the start.

Keep us posted as you proceed on your adventure.

Jim

dlby
02-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Rode anything & everything for 25 yrs

Rode hd kings & ultras for 20 years

Switched to rts e6 2 months ago
The F is awesome but make sure you dont fool yourself into thinking you dont like a little tlc in life
Check out the rt also

Auto trans is spot on
Change can b good!

Professor
02-06-2015, 10:43 AM
The F is awesome but make sure you dont fool yourself into thinking you dont like a little tlc in life
Check out the rt also
I agree. I've rented Harley Ultra Classics in Colorado to ride through Rocky Mountain National Park and the surrounding area and loved the UC. I'm pretty sure there is not a more comfortable bike on the planet. A few years ago, I switched from a BMW LT to a Triumph Thunderbird because I thought it was cool. Triumph held the Bonneville speed record when I was a kid and the Thunderbird was the bike Marlon Brando rode in The Wild Ones. After about 6 months I finally admitted that riding it was much more uncomfortable and tiring than my Beemer and while it did have 'cool factor", it just wasn't the right thing for me. So I bit the bullet and traded it - at a loss - for a new BMW K1600 GTL which gave me a great blend of power and comfort.

That's what I feel like I have with the Spyder RT Ltd - a nice blend of power and comfort and a large dose of fun. If I were a rich man, I'd have an F3 in addition - but not instead of - the RT. I'm sure others would disagree on my choice. So I recommend that you ride more than one and think about which one fits the real you.

SpyderGTL
02-06-2015, 10:56 PM
I got to see the Touring Escape package on an F3, complete with the saddlebags, a few weeks ago at the International Motorcycle Show. They're a leather-covered molded plastic saddlebag. The RH saddlebag was slightly smaller than the LH, as it was dished out a small amount for clearance to the exhaust. I thought they were a decent size - not cavernous, but not puny either. I pick up my F3S tomorrow, but the dealer doesn't have any saddlebags in stock, so I'm somewhat hoping there will be a few options available by the time they get some in.