PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT Cover

Brogers57
02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Which is best? Full or half? Perferred brand and why?

MisterP
02-03-2015, 10:44 AM
There is no "best", it's what you want, or how you use your ride. I don't store mine outside so I have no need for a full cover. I like the travel cover to keep people from getting too curious when I am away from the Spyder.

What's best for you isn't the same as anyone else.

2Paw
02-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I would just like a cover that's not too bulky to carry and would be easy to slip on and off, just cover the seat for rain and sun protection(maybe the dash too) after all the bike is washable. The travel cover goes all the way over the rear trunk and over the windshield too which IMHO isn't needed. I do like it for night time use though, but wouldn't want to carry both. I guess I'm just not happy with any cover, must be a compromise somewhere.:D

Pennyrick
02-03-2015, 11:12 AM
We like to cover both Spyders with the half cover at night for two reasons.

- It keeps prying eyes away from switches and stuff they can play with and doesn't allow people (not just kids) to climb on the machines

- It keeps overnight moisture from collecting and saves having to wipe the Spyder down every morning except for the frunk and side bags.

Half covers are easy to roll back into themselves for storage and compress well to save space.

This is one BRP product that doesn't seem overpriced.

Bob Denman
02-03-2015, 11:32 AM
I've got both of the BRP covers for the RT... They fit the best, and the one that I use is dependent upon the needs of the day...:thumbup:

Big F
02-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Which is best? Full or half? Perferred brand and why?

I had the full RT travel cover. It really fits well, however, last summer on a long trailer ride and the constant wind buffeting the handlebars poked holes in the cover?? The dealer said this expensive cover is good for travel so they gave me a new replacement. Haven't tried it yet. I am thinking about going to an upholstery shop and having reinforcement pieces sewn on the inside where the handlebars touch the cover??? has anyone else had a problem like this with the BRP full cover???
THE BIG F

Dragonrider
02-03-2015, 11:49 AM
I use a Sun Screen for most of my cover uses - it's just spandex with hooks to cover the top of the bike (and keep folks off of it). Takes about a minute to install, and fits in a 8" stuff bag - perfect for trips.

I no longer have a BRP cover, as I sold it with my 2010. That was a good cover to have on a trip as well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Which is best? Full or half? Perferred brand and why?..........You didn't state exactly what you planned to use the cover to do soooo you can look at this ....E-Bay item # 231409989339-----I bought it to use to keep it protected from the sun when out riding and deter people from screwing with it $ 8.84 delivered free...........................just a thought .......Mike :thumbup:

3 Wheel Addict
02-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I have and use the BRP half cover and like it real well. Here's a hint for BRP though,.... make it silver in color to keep the bike cooler in the sun.

Brogers57
02-03-2015, 12:41 PM
So seems to me BRP one is beeter than the Nelson-Rigg?

arachnoid
02-03-2015, 01:54 PM
At the moment to RT lives outdoors. We use the BRP full cover. Nice quality and fits great. Only problem is the stray cats like to "mark" it on the front wheels-YUCK! Need to make space in the garage, and pick up a half cover for summer/dumb people repellent.

ARtraveler
02-03-2015, 02:14 PM
My .02

The half cover is good for keeping the riff-raff off the :ani29:. Also works well as a sun or light rain shade.

Full cover, good for overnights and bad weather situations. More protection.

WA5VHU
02-03-2015, 03:10 PM
So seems to me BRP one is beeter than the Nelson-Rigg?

I have the Nelson-Rigg half-cover and it fits very well and I like it a lot. I don't have the BRP cover so I can't compare it.

As an added benefit the cover also fits my Honda NC700X quite nicely.

Charles

STELLING MAN
02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
I have the half travel cover, I have the BRP one, since my :f_spider: doesn't set outside the travel cover Is great, easy on and easy off..

jimnsusie
02-03-2015, 09:19 PM
At the moment to RT lives outdoors. We use the BRP full cover. Nice quality and fits great. Only problem is the stray cats like to "mark" it on the front wheels-YUCK! Need to make space in the garage, and pick up a half cover for summer/dumb people repellent.

I went ahead and got a half cover mainly for the upcoming summer trips. Hard to understand that we have to cover OUR machines just to keep curious idiot rude passerby folks from messing around with OUR stuff. I have heard of this happening but not experienced it yet.

3 Wheel Rider
02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
BRP Half Cover

pjweimer
02-04-2015, 08:18 AM
I had the full RT travel cover. It really fits well, however, last summer on a long trailer ride and the constant wind buffeting the handlebars poked holes in the cover?? The dealer said this expensive cover is good for travel so they gave me a new replacement. Haven't tried it yet. I am thinking about going to an upholstery shop and having reinforcement pieces sewn on the inside where the handlebars touch the cover??? has anyone else had a problem like this with the BRP full cover???
THE BIG F
I have trailered our RT Limited four times with the full BRP travel cover and on the last trip ( central Ohio to Florida and back) one handlebar poked through on the way south. On the trip back the other handlebar poked through and the seam down middle, behind the windshield opened up (about 18 or 20 inches). Bought it from a Texas dealer via eBay. Need to call them to see if they will offer a replacement.
It is a great cover, great fit. Just could not take the buffeting when over the adjustable handlebars on our 2014. First three trips were on a 2012 RT Limited with stock bars.

finless
02-04-2015, 09:33 AM
I bought the Show Chrome full cover and have not used it once. I test fit it and it does work well.
I also park in the garage every night so no cover needed.

However, at work I am in a parking lot.
When I bought my Spyder used, for some reason it came with a BRP RSS cover. Believe it or not this works great! Perfect for keeping the sun off the bike and when I come out to go home in 90-100F sunny weather, the bike is never hot and cooking especially the trunks and saddle bags which the 1/2 cover is no good for.

My Spyder is black and just cooks in direct sun. I measured 130F in my rear trunk one day when I went to the store and parked for all of 20 minutes. Not good for things kept inside there!

It's light weight (not good for keeping rain out) and goes on super easy.
Every morning I put it on in about 1 minute.
All I had to do was make a hole for the antenna in it and reinforce the hole so it did not rip (use a canvas grommet)
It covers the entire Spyder except for the front fenders. It has an elastic edge that just pulls over and fits great!

So this RSS cover that came with my Spyder RT, after about 3 years in the sun every weekday, it is finally starting to come apart at the seems near the windshield.

I like it so much I bought another to replace it. :ohyea:

I personally do not like the 1/2 cover for the RT.

This is the cover I am talking about. I know it looks like it wont fit the RT but it does again except for the front fenders. It goes around the front of the frunk and around the bottoms of the saddle bags and rear fender license plate light lip. This keeps it secure in winds up to about 15 MPH or so (So Cal has daily afternoon winds that average this speed). I have never come out and found it blown off the bike.

BRP# 280000338

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-OEM-CAN-AM-SPYDER-RS-INDOOR-STORAGE-COVER-280000338-1176C-/111556540873?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f949b9c9&vxp=mtr

Bob

GloryRyders
02-04-2015, 02:06 PM
When my Spyder is at home it is keep in the garage, so no need for a cover. When we travel, I carry a full cover (UltraGard) which is a little larger than the BRP version which works best for me since it will fit over my flags on the rear of the bike. I also carry the cover for my RT622 trailer which I use also. Space is no problem with the trailer and covering both keeps away prying eyes and hands! :2thumbs:

Deanna777
02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I bought a BRP full cover. I have a 2014RTS-SE6. My spyder is outside all summer. It covers the whole spyder including tires. Deanna

Bob Denman
02-06-2015, 08:35 AM
I have the Nelson-Rigg half-cover and it fits very well and I like it a lot. I don't have the BRP cover so I can't compare it.

As an added benefit the cover also fits my Honda NC700X quite nicely.

"very well", and "quite nicely"... I wonder how it can do that on two so very different bikes? :dontknow: :nopic:

WA5VHU
02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
"very well", and "quite nicely"... I wonder how it can do that on two so very different bikes? :dontknow: :nopic:

I will take a picture of the cover on both motorcycles when I get home today. :spyder:

Charles

Bob Denman
02-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks... :thumbup:

Dragonrider
02-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Wow - prices have soared since I bought my last cover:

Here's the site for a product that I use: http://www.motorcycleshade.com

There's also a couple of Sun Shades on FleaBay for under $20.

WA5VHU
02-06-2015, 06:37 PM
If a picture is worth a thousand words how much is a video worth?

This is my Nelson-Rigg half-cover CAS-375 on our new 2014 RT Limited. Also on my Honda NC700X with a windshield and the "Really Big Butt" trunk on the back.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1uhVbiBaE&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k2ahh8Koo&feature=youtu.be

Marker
02-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Storage indoor or outside I use BRP full tarilering cover. Great quality ,lined so no cover rashes on spyder .
When I travel I use the BRP travel cover it is light and stuffs into its own bag101858 BRP Full trailering cover.

Bob Denman
02-07-2015, 06:14 PM
If a picture is worth a thousand words how much is a video worth?

This is my Nelson-Rigg half-cover CAS-375 on our new 2014 RT Limited. Also on my Honda NC700X with a windshield and the "Really Big Butt" trunk on the back.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1uhVbiBaE&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k2ahh8Koo&feature=youtu.be

:shocked: I wouldn't have believed it possible...

You are DA MAN!! :bowdown: :thumbup:

Bigtow
02-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Nelson - rigg half cover very good fit and a great price.use is all the time..... :2thumbs: