PDA

View Full Version : Planning a ride through Central and Northern CA - ideas wanted

MRH
02-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Last year my wife and I took the Spyder up to Carmel, and then to Napa (from L.A.). We plan on doing something similar again this year, but we don't want to do the same ride.

I'm wondering what roads some of you might know that I don't, and any cities that may make good stops that I might not have thought about. My road knowledge is fairly good up to about San Louis Obispo, and drops quickly over Big Sur.

MyEleanor
02-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I was born and raised in the L.A. area. If you are heading up to central and northern CA, then I think you ought to look at hitting the Sierra Nevada mountains. Consider highway 395 up the eastern side of the Sierras to Lake Tahoe. Lots of beautiful scenery. You can cut over to Yosemite from 395 at Lee Vining up and over Tioga Pass. On the west side of the mountains there is highway 49, the golden chain they call it. Starts at Oakhurst in the Sierra foothills and heads north. There is also Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. Just some thoughts to consider.

NorCalBud
02-01-2015, 05:08 PM
There are several members here, like myself, who are also members of SRA-Sacramento. We've got group and personal rydes planned for almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. We'd love to have you ryde along! Just PM me at some point and I can give you some additional info. There's also a SRA-San Francisco chapter that would likely enjoy having you as a guest rider.

SpyderAnn01
02-01-2015, 05:48 PM
If you are planning your trip in August you should consider attending Spyders in the Redwoods. Lots of great riding there.

MRH
02-01-2015, 08:03 PM
If you are planning your trip in August you should consider attending Spyders in the Redwoods. Lots of great riding there.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately August is the busiest month of the year for my business. We will be a month late and taking this trip after school starts in September.

Dragonrider
02-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Point Reys Ligthouse - Tomales Bay - Bodega Bay, then up 1 to Jenner, over to Guerneville to Fulton (101), then to Calistoga - up 29 - around Clear Lake - to 20, all the way to Grass Valley and on to the merge with I80. Continue to 89 - S to Tahoe City. N will take you to Incline Village, then Carson City and 398, or S will take you down to 50 and Sacramento....

Done that one a couple of times. Most of them are nice low traffic roads.

Vossr
02-04-2015, 09:22 PM
That is an awesome ride. It's east of Los Angeles, running up and down the spine of the Sierra Nevada's. Loads of twisties & fantastic views. I road it back in the early 90's, so I'm not sure if its still there or open... but if you get that far south, it was a great ride.