PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question about Summer Riding

bcoulter19
01-30-2015, 01:40 PM
For everyone that wears a full face helmet what do you do when you need a drink of water?

ARtraveler
01-30-2015, 01:47 PM
For everyone that wears a full face helmet what do you do when you need a drink of water?

I find full face helmet types to be a bit constricting.

I have both a Nolan 103 modular helmet and a N44 with the face plate that lifts up. Regardless, I pull over at the nearest pull out. Take the water bottle out of the frunk or trunk and have a drink.

bcoulter19
01-30-2015, 01:49 PM
do you take off your helmet?

bcoulter19
01-30-2015, 01:51 PM
I just see all these add for drink holders etc. and I'm thinking those can't be for anyone with a full face helmet . I have to take my helmet off to drink. I can't even get a drink at a stop light. LOL

MyEleanor
01-30-2015, 01:54 PM
I bought a modular helmet a while back. Gives me full face protection while riding and the ease of opening it at lights or wherever for a quick drink.

ARtraveler
01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
do you take off your helmet?

Of course. This is an opportunity to stretch the bones a bit and get some fresh air.

missouriboy
01-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Have you tried a flexible plastic straw? :dontknow:

Chupaca
01-30-2015, 02:11 PM
the camel pack for heavy drinkers (water that is). I use the modular helmet but when I used full face the stop, remove and drink with a stretch worked best...:thumbup:usually do so at gas stops...

Bob Denman
01-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Hydrate before you get on the bike... That'll carry you far enough, to make it to your first stop. :thumbup:
We wear Modular Helmets also... ;) It makes it easier to get to my face; should a thirst break out! :roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
01-30-2015, 02:46 PM
If you get thirsty stop and have a drink, preferably in the shade so Yiu can cool off. I wear a full face helmet, as they are safer in case you do a face plant. We stop Na drink plenty of water and then head out. Remember if you wait till you are Truly Thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Stop often in the hot summer

Cruzr Joe
01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I wear a 3/4 helmet and just raise the shield when i have an opportunity to take a drink of water, i am one of those people that have to have a drink of water or piece of candy every so often to feel comfortable, so i bought a cup holder and i always have a cool drink handy and will take a sip while riding when it is safe to do so.

Cruzr Joe

Mad Mac
01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
When I feel like I need a drink of water,my body is telling me it's time for a break. Soooo find a nice scenic spot,pull-over,take the helmet off(I wear mainly a modular helmet when the weather is cold and/rainy) your head will thank you for it at the end of a long day.

ggivens
01-30-2015, 03:58 PM

I use two different modular helmets; The Nolan 103 (which has been replaced by the Nolan 104) and the Stealth Vertice. Both have some good features and flip up real nice for getting drinks or letting in more air. :spyder:

JayBros
01-30-2015, 05:05 PM
As a long distance bicyclist I'm a big Camelbak fan. I have yet to experience summer with my Spyder but will probably experiment with various configurations including bottles in trunk. OP advice to hydrate before riding is spot on. JMO.

Highwayman2013
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
I wear a full face Scorpion EXO 500 and yes I stop and take it off to get a drink. Looking into a modular for my next lid.

STELLING MAN
01-30-2015, 05:42 PM
I use a Modular helmet also during cold weather and a three quarter when It's hot, with either one I can get a drink whenever I need one, no problem..

JKMSPYDER
01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I wear a full face helmet and have a drink holder. When I need a drink I just raise my face shield and drink from a straw. I keep a batch of straws with me always in warm weather.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-30-2015, 06:20 PM
I Stop & take it off, haven't found a straw that works

BajaRon
01-30-2015, 06:26 PM

I stop and take my helmet off. No problem for me. There are motorcycle jackets with a built in camel back bladder with a hose that allows you to drink with your helmet on any time you want. I've never found the need for it. But then I'm not into cup holders, snack bars or in-route movies either! :rolleyes:

NorCalBud
01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
I've got a Modular that lets me drink with or without a straw. IMO a Full Face is actually cooler on a hot day with hot air than an open or quarter lid.

DaveL
01-30-2015, 08:11 PM
I wear a modular helmet and when it is extremely hot I wear a camelback. I fill the camelback with ice and water it helps cool me off for about 2 1/2 hours. When I stop for lunch I get ice from the soda machine and fill the camelback up with ice and water. It serves two purposes. Whenever you get parched put the hose in your mouth and get a drink. I have found the camelback great to stay cool and hydrated on a hot day.

jaherbst
01-30-2015, 08:14 PM

Stop, take it off, and take a drink. Continue ride and feel refreshed after stopping a few minutes.

Jack

bcoulter19
01-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I live in north Alabama and in the summer it averages in the the mid to upper 90's with high humidity and I ride along and was just looking for a way when I stop at a traffic light to get a little drink when I'm running around Huntsville. It sounds like everyone here has the same issues I do.

BajaRon
01-30-2015, 08:38 PM
I wear a modular helmet and when it is extremely hot I wear a camelback. I fill the camelback with ice and water it helps cool me off for about 2 1/2 hours. When I stop for lunch I get ice from the soda machine and fill the camelback up with ice and water. It serves two purposes. Whenever you get parched put the hose in your mouth and get a drink. I have found the camelback great to stay cool and hydrated on a hot day.

This is the way I'd do it if I ever decide to 'Drink & Drive'... :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
01-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Hydrate before you get on the bike... That'll carry you far enough, to make it to your first stop. :thumbup:
We wear Modular Helmets also... ;) It makes it easier to get to my face; should a thirst break out! :roflblack:

Not where I live. You better have water and a way to easily drink it. I use a Camelbak with a modular helmet or a full face.

NoLmtz
01-31-2015, 12:21 AM
When I rode cross country I used a camelback that I strapped across the handlebars. I simply lean over and take a sip on the straw. Works great!

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-31-2015, 02:29 AM
Stop at a rest area, gas station, or cafe, take helmet and jacket off and relax a bit. Good reason for a stop. Probably need to pee anyway! :) I've never had any particular desire to try to drink anything while actively riding. Too much hassle, and just more stuff to deal with!

Woodsrider
01-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Full face, camelbak. I wear the camelbak doing longer woods rides too (on the KTM). On long distance rides I stop every 90 mins anyway and get off the bike, top the tank, walk around, do whatever it takes to get my head back out of tunnel vision.

Orange Spyder Man
01-31-2015, 10:45 AM
I wear a full face helmet for safety... I hydrate before a ride... if I feel thirsty... I pull over, take off my helmet and drink... similar scenario if I need to tinkle .... :sour:

osm

Deke
01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
I never thought of Iowa as a leader in helmet-hydration technology, but we've got these things here called straws. I just slide it up under my full-face helmet and take a sip. I even have the chin mesh on my helmet, and it is no problem at all. A long straw like in a water bottle works better than a flimsy straw for a cup of soda, but even that can work.

:-)

Deke

Big F
01-31-2015, 11:31 AM

Hopefully you have a flip-up visor!!!!!! Mine works just great for that sip of whatever????
THE BIG F

Questions
01-31-2015, 11:35 AM

Go to a local hardware store and buy a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing [ if you know someone that use oxygen they usually have extra tubing for O2 ]. You can put your water container in any storage space on your spyder, just make sure the tubing is not kinked. The length you need will depend on where you put your water container !

ChicoFowler
01-31-2015, 11:47 AM
I have a full face helmet, where not only does the face shield lift up, but the entire chin guard lifts. So I can either raise the face shield, or with a single button I can raise the whole chin/face guard. Plus, I like the built in sun shield that I can slide down when needed. It's made by HJC. Works great.....

LEEB
01-31-2015, 03:33 PM
I wear a full face helmet for safety... I hydrate before a ride... if I feel thirsty... I pull over, take off my helmet and drink... similar scenario if I need to tinkle .... :sour:

osm

Orange Man, do you have to take your helmet off to tinkle?!?! :roflblack:

Motorcycledave
01-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Water bottle with a long straw or.... modular helmet...

Deanna777
01-31-2015, 04:17 PM
I have a full face helmet, with flip up visor, I find a pull off, remove my helmet take a walk/ stretch, then drink my water, or liquid that I brought. I bring a water bottle with ice/ liquid wrap a towel around the water bottle, so the ice melts slowly.

Up here in Vermont the summer starts in June.
Hope this helps
Deanna

Dan_Ashley
01-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Not where I live. You better have water and a way to easily drink it. I use a Camelbak with a modular helmet or a full face.
Yeah. It's hot in the summertime here too. I drink a lot of water. My personal rule is that if I don't have to pee each time I stop, I'm not drinking enough.

Orange Spyder Man
01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Orange Man, do you have to take your helmet off to tinkle?!?! :roflblack:

nope...

osm

Bfromla
02-01-2015, 12:45 AM
Modular HJC here good for quick sip or sneeze lol but ya i usually wait till stopped to sip keep a 1lt in frunk helps motivate me to stretch my legs more often. Still good time on trips. More road side pics101585any ol reason will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flaggerphil
02-01-2015, 12:51 AM

Pull over somewhere, take off my helmet, and have a drink. Personally, I've never had anything to drink while actually riding a motorcycle.

BTW, I wear a Shoei RF 1100 full face helmet. I've worn full face helmets since around 1976.