PDA

View Full Version : Installation Help

Professor
01-30-2015, 11:18 AM
I just ordered an anti-sway bar from Bajaron for my 2014 RT Ltd. Is there anyone in the Dallas area who is interested in helping install it? I don't have a lift or much mechanical aptitude so my only options are dealer install or get some help from someone with experience and equipment. Dealer install is fine, but I prefer to do as much as I can myself and learn by working with someone who has some experience with Spyder surgery. Anyone interested?

Thanks!

Chupaca
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
nowhere near but hope someone comes to your aide. Did you check spyders to the rescue in your area. Some could help...:thumbup:

bluestratos
01-30-2015, 02:30 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, the sway bar is a 3 (easy) for the average person. I have done several. Other than some basic hand tools and a couple of jack stands or car ramps nothing special is required. The 14 takes a bit of wiggling to get into place but its still easy to do in case you want to give a go your self. The bike will not settle when you undo the links so dont worry about that, the shocks do all the work. The sway bar simply applies opposing pressure when you go into a tight corner to keep the front end level When static or driving straight it does nothing.

Professor
01-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks to you both. I wish I had the time to ride to San Diego or Washington. I've been to both and love both. Somebody somewhere said the 2014 RT has to be lifted at least 22 inches off the floor. Then I read another post that confirmed it - said it is very important to do that. Is that to give it enough wiggle room to get the bar in place? That would take some pretty high ramps. There is a video on installing one on an earlier RT. Would the 14 be about the same?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff.

bluestratos
01-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Yes you need to get it up about 22" off the ground to swing the bar around and into place. I used jack stands and a floor jack to get it high enough for the 14 models. Good luck, if you have any problems call me on my cell 360 815-4262.

Thanks to you both. I wish I had the time to ride to San Diego or Washington. I've been to both and love both. Somebody somewhere said the 2014 RT has to be lifted at least 22 inches off the floor. Then I read another post that confirmed it - said it is very important to do that. Is that to give it enough wiggle room to get the bar in place? That would take some pretty high ramps. There is a video on installing one on an earlier RT. Would the 14 be about the same?

jcthorne
01-31-2015, 05:43 PM
You are welcome to bring the bike to my garage and install. I have helped a number of Spyder owners do the same. Sorry, not Dallas but north of Houston. The install itself is less than 2 hrs so could still ride down, install and head home in one day.

jcthorne
01-31-2015, 05:45 PM

The reason for the clearance under is to give room for the bar to swing down nearly 90 deg to snake it out of the hole in the frame that it passes through.

Orange Spyder Man
01-31-2015, 06:49 PM
when I installed my Ba ha Ron sway bar... I loosened everything that needed to be done... then I put some ramps on the tailgate of my truck.. drove it up..
but ... be advised... the park brake will NOT keep your spyder from backing down.. i got someone to chock the rear wheel & set the parking brake.. took off the old bar... installed the new bar... backed my spyder down.. & finished the re-install.. really pretty straight forward install..

osm

Professor
01-31-2015, 09:24 PM
Thanks again everyone. I talked to Ron himself earlier and found that the correct number is 24 inches from the frame the floor, but as he pointed out, the frame is already 4" off the floor. I especially appreciate the offer from JC in Houston. I'm very tempted, but I've decided to have the dealer do it. The service manager says he has done several and it shouldn't take more than an hour. I'm sure hoping the difference is as significant as everyone says.

Big Arm
01-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Come back to this thread after the install and let us know what you think of the bar. I'm betting you'll love it.
Good luck

SNOOPY
01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks again everyone. I talked to Ron himself earlier and found that the correct number is 24 inches from the frame the floor, but as he pointed out, the frame is already 4" off the floor. I especially appreciate the offer from JC in Houston. I'm very tempted, but I've decided to have the dealer do it. The service manager says he has done several and it shouldn't take more than an hour. I'm sure hoping the difference is as significant as everyone says.

It is as significant as everyone says....and i say so too. :thumbup:

Great offer from JC too. :)

Professor
01-31-2015, 11:16 PM
Come back to this thread after the install and let us know what you think of the bar. I'm betting you'll love it.
Good luck
Will do.

granpa in Cincy
02-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Have the dealer install your Stebel Air Horn at the same time. :yes:

Professor
02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Have the dealer install your Stebel Air Horn at the same time. :yes:
Thanks. I was just thinking about that. It shouldn't cost much more since they will have panels off anyway - at least that's what I'm hoping.