PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at 67-75 MPH on F3-S

Smallz
01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Has anyone noticed a vibration when you roll on the throttle at 67-75..worst mostly at 69ish-71? It is a pretty strong grinding feeling.

krazykat
01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Has anyone noticed a vibration when you roll on the throttle at 67-75..worst mostly at 69ish-71? It is a pretty strong grinding feeling.

Likely it's your drive belt vibrating. Same thing occurs on my RT-Ltd at about same speed. A belt idler wheel (available from 2 of our sponsors) solved 95% of my vibration problem. Also might be your belt is not at the proper tension spec.

Tom in NM
01-29-2015, 05:09 PM
I know I had at least 15 minutes of speeds from 75 to 80+, didn't notice anything ( but the wind ). The F3 felt very stable and smooth - more so than my ST-S.

I'll go out in a little bit and check.

Tom

Chupaca
01-29-2015, 07:32 PM
your the testers and solution finders. We will wait and see what that solution might be. Being day one for this model (basically all new) that that affected us in the past may not apply here. Will be interesting to find out. Would appreciate your letting us know so we can learn the "what to do if" ...:thumbup:

Tom in NM
01-29-2015, 08:10 PM
I didn't ride for long, mid-40's and lots of wind, but no vibrations at the speeds you mentioned over a 5 mile strech - other than my teeth chattering.

Every ride impresses me more.

Tom

capt.jim
01-29-2015, 11:51 PM
I have a tensioner in the works for the F3, along with a backrest.
I took the demo from my dealer for a 35 mile ride and the vibration was quite pronounced, my wife even noticed.
My demo was set in Kilometers and it was around 123-125 which converted to 76-77 MPH.
My magnesium SM should be here any day, I can hardly wait!
My LG headset that I had worn around my neck for a year blew off and got ran over in the first mile, I haven't even taken delivery and it's already costing me. It was worth it though.

den1953
01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
I was wondering since the F3 has a longer belt to accommodate the larger rear pulley. I am thinking a longer belt would have more amplitude and vibrate at a lower frequency than a shorter belt. That would maybe explain the grating feel when it vibrates. Like any belt drive the tension and alignment are critical. With so few F3s out on the road it's too early to tell if this is a production set-up problem or just harmonics from the belt itself.

Smallz
01-30-2015, 09:31 AM
I would be really upset if I have to buy an aftermarket piece to fix a problem with manufacturing. If they didn't put a strong enough belt tensioner on it then they should take responsibility and fix it. Other then the vibration it is an AMAZING ride! So fast, low end torque is just AWESOME. Mine had damage on the frame we discovered when they moved the pegs from position 3 to 4 which BRP/dealer is fixing/replacing. The tranny can be a little rough at times on the SE6 but a neglagable amount. DEFINITLY needs a windscreen. I ordered the Blue Ridge yesterday, it is on back order and won't be here until the last week of Feb :(. I also ordered the RAM mount and a USB charger so I can use my phone. I am looking for recommendations on in helmet bluetooth systems. I want to be able to take work calls while on the bike and am looking for something that will cut out the majority of the background noise.

Bob Denman
01-30-2015, 09:36 AM
It's not a problem with manufacturing... It's just a harmonic vibration from the belt. Pretty much inevitable with any belt drive setup.

jaherbst
01-30-2015, 09:47 AM
It's not a problem with manufacturing... It's just a harmonic vibration from the belt. Pretty much inevitable with any belt drive setup.

Non of my three belt drives on my three Harley's ever did that Bob. Nor has any of my belt drives vibrated on my two Spiders. Belt is loose or not aligned properly is the culprit.

Jack

Bob Denman
01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm NOT saying that it can't be tuned-out...
Orrr... was everything else shaking so much, that you just couldn't feel it?? :D

MisterP
01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Orrr... was everything else shaking so much, that you just couldn't feel it?? :D

and that's when the fight started....

Grandpaspeed
01-30-2015, 03:00 PM
I took the demo from my dealer for a 35 mile ride and the vibration was quite pronounced, my wife even noticed.
My demo was set in Kilometers and it was around 123-125 which converted to 76-77 MPH.
My LG headset that I had worn around my neck for a year blew off and got ran over in the first mile, I haven't even taken delivery and it's already costing me. It was worth it though.
The backrest that your working on, will you be designing it for a luggage rack and if so will the rack be removable?

doctorlbug
01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I took my F3S out for a little exercise today, and I too noticed the vibrations between 67 and about 72. I will put a few more miles on it and then take it in to see if the vibes can be adjusted out, if not Ill be looking for a belt tensioner.

jaherbst
01-30-2015, 08:43 PM

I can tell you have never ridden a Harley Bob. !00 MPH - Pipes a blarrin - no helmet or is it helmut - fifty bikes and your are leading the pack for the next 1500 miles to Disneyland (Sturges). Oh what a feeling. Vibration I hear no stink'n vibration.

I do miss that! Now I have to ride with all you old slow farts.:D

Jack

capt.jim
01-30-2015, 10:55 PM
The backrest that your working on, will you be designing it for a luggage rack and if so will the rack be removable?

Due to the diminished storage, I have a rack planned also. They will both attach to a main mounting bracket.
Installing either the backrest or rack will require the same mounting bracket, you will be able to add or remove either piece with minimal labor.
The backrest will be first, after that I will be looking for opinions as to what size rack will be needed to satisfy the needs of most.
For those that like to remove their rear fender, the rack will also serve to keep their passengers backside dry on wet roads.

Bob Denman
01-31-2015, 09:14 AM
I can tell you have never ridden a Harley Bob. !00 MPH - Pipes a blarrin - no helmet or is it helmut - fifty bikes and your are leading the pack for the next 1500 miles to Disneyland (Sturges). Oh what a feeling. Vibration I hear no stink'n vibration.
:clap: :2thumbs:
Oh; but I HAVE... :D
I will say this for them: they have the best-made mirrors on the Planet... nojoke
If they weren't so good; the glass would pop out of them in a heartbeat! :roflblack:

jaherbst
01-31-2015, 09:52 AM
I will say this for them: they have the best-made mirrors on the Planet... nojoke
If they weren't so good; the glass would pop out of them in a heartbeat! :roflblack:

Ain't that the truth!

Tom in NM
02-01-2015, 12:47 AM
After the snow/slush/rain stopped this morning, I took the F3 out for a good run. About 30 miles of 65 to 90mph. No vibrations. Nothing in either 5th or 6th gear.

I was impressed at how stable and in-control the F3 was. I really like this machine.

Tom

den1953
02-01-2015, 06:43 AM
It kinda looks now (still early to tell as not many F3s on the road yet) like the OP of this thread might have his belt out of adjustment, either tension or alignment or both. Just a guess since his does vibrate and this other fellow's doesn't.

Grandpaspeed
02-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Due to the diminished storage, I have a rack planned also. They will both attach to a main mounting bracket.
Installing either the backrest or rack will require the same mounting bracket, you will be able to add or remove either piece with minimal labor.
The backrest will be first, after that I will be looking for opinions as to what size rack will be needed to satisfy the needs of most.
For those that like to remove their rear fender, the rack will also serve to keep their passengers backside dry on wet roads.
Thank you as that's what I want, I mean need.:clap:

Tom in NM
02-02-2015, 09:00 PM
. . . I got in some more riding in the last two days and was finally able to create ( maybe ) your vibration.

In my last tests, I moved through the 60-90 MPH range and could not detect anything like a vibration. For about 20 miles, I tried that in both 5th & 6th gears, slowly throttling up and down to see if I could find any area of 'vibration'. Nope. I checked my belt as well as I could and it was at spec.

Yesterday and today I was out again - @ 250 miles, I am still in break-in mode, but testing some limits - and maybe I ran across what you are experiencing.

In 5th & 6th gear - going over 50mph, if I 'cranked' the throttle ( like to quickly pass or to put more space behind me from an approaching vehicle ) the engine would roar to life and the F3 would shoot ahead. There was a 'vibration', but it was ( to me ) just the engine/exhaust roaring to life. It only lasts a second. It didn't feel like "grinding" or anything bad. There was no hesitation in how the power-curve felt or that the belt or transmission was slipping.

Really, it felt like if you are sitting on the F3, with your feet firmly planted on the pegs, and start it up. To me, it does this va-Rooom thing - where the "R" in the "Room" part is accented and the "oom" part is a descending growl. I get the same 'vibration' on my F3 at startup, it is just not as strong as it is at 70mph.

Actually, you can kind of see/hear what I am talking about if you look at the video Lamont posted where the Spyder is started up and rev'd a couple times without a muffler.

http://youtu.be/NtRdSL0B4Fs

That ":cus:-off" tearing/shredding exhaust sounds like the 'vibration' feels.

So, to recap:

No "vibration or grinding" when doing an easy roll of the throttle while in 5th or 6th gear at any speed between 50mph & 90mph.

Vibration/sensation when fast acceleration in 5th or 6th gear between 50mph 70mph. Nothing noted in downshifting or deceleration in that speed/gear range.

Lower intensity vibration/sensation at startup, when motor comes to life. ( no belt involved )

No, it is not your imagination. ( BRP may call it a feature. )

My Spyder GS or ST-S, never did anything quite like this - but as much fun as they were, they never performed like an F3 either.

If what I did and felt matches the conditions you were in when you felt it, I don't think it is a problem. A different muffler may tame it down or perhaps make it more noticeable. I would be interested if a belt-tensioner would change anything, so, like you, I will keep my eyes and ears open. I am no Scotty and I only have my years of motorcycling/car experience to go by - but I am not concerned.

As always, consider advice, but make up your own mind.

Tom

Racy2
02-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Non of my three belt drives on my three Harley's ever did that Bob. Nor has any of my belt drives vibrated on my two Spiders. Belt is loose or not aligned properly is the culprit.

Jack

All the Harley's I have ridden vibrate so much that you would never notice a belt anyways.

Smallz
02-03-2015, 05:32 PM
. . . I got in some more riding in the last two days and was finally able to create ( maybe ) your vibration.

In my last tests, I moved through the 60-90 MPH range and could not detect anything like a vibration. For about 20 miles, I tried that in both 5th & 6th gears, slowly throttling up and down to see if I could find any area of 'vibration'. Nope. I checked my belt as well as I could and it was at spec.

Yesterday and today I was out again - @ 250 miles, I am still in break-in mode, but testing some limits - and maybe I ran across what you are experiencing.

In 5th & 6th gear - going over 50mph, if I 'cranked' the throttle ( like to quickly pass or to put more space behind me from an approaching vehicle ) the engine would roar to life and the F3 would shoot ahead. There was a 'vibration', but it was ( to me ) just the engine/exhaust roaring to life. It only lasts a second. It didn't feel like "grinding" or anything bad. There was no hesitation in how the power-curve felt or that the belt or transmission was slipping.

Really, it felt like if you are sitting on the F3, with your feet firmly planted on the pegs, and start it up. To me, it does this va-Rooom thing - where the "R" in the "Room" part is accented and the "oom" part is a descending growl. I get the same 'vibration' on my F3 at startup, it is just not as strong as it is at 70mph.

Actually, you can kind of see/hear what I am talking about if you look at the video Lamont posted where the Spyder is started up and rev'd a couple times without a muffler.

That ":cus:-off" tearing/shredding exhaust sounds like the 'vibration' feels.

So, to recap:

No "vibration or grinding" when doing an easy roll of the throttle while in 5th or 6th gear at any speed between 50mph & 90mph.

Vibration/sensation when fast acceleration in 5th or 6th gear between 50mph 70mph. Nothing noted in downshifting or deceleration in that speed/gear range.

Lower intensity vibration/sensation at startup, when motor comes to life. ( no belt involved )

No, it is not your imagination. ( BRP may call it a feature. )

My Spyder GS or ST-S, never did anything quite like this - but as much fun as they were, they never performed like an F3 either.

If what I did and felt matches the conditions you were in when you felt it, I don't think it is a problem. A different muffler may tame it down or perhaps make it more noticeable. I would be interested if a belt-tensioner would change anything, so, like you, I will keep my eyes and ears open. I am no Scotty and I only have my years of motorcycling/car experience to go by - but I am not concerned.

As always, consider advice, but make up your own mind.

Tom

Tom - Thanks for the detailed response! That does not really describe what I am feeling. I need to take it to the dealer one of the days they are open and it is above freezing! Mine is very consistent. Starting at around 65 and most prevalent between 69-71 just rolling on the throttle causes a very noticeable vibration that lasts 1.5-3 seconds...I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because that means they need to test ride it and I don't want anyone riding my bike!

Jharpo
02-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I accepted delivery of my F3S on 1/21/2015 and to date have logged 750 miles. The only complaint I have is the vibration that on my ride starts the buzz in the handlebars and pegs at 64mph gets progressively worse to 72 then starts to lessen and disappears at 74. Does it affect the performance of the bike? No it doesn't. Is it annoying? Absolutely. This is not my first rodeo and I've experienced these harmonic belt vibrations on my 2009 GS, then my 2013 ST Limited. On neither of these Spyders was the vibration as pronounced as it is on the F3. I believe that is probably due to the additional power and torque plus the longer drive belt. I've already had several conversations with Jim at SmoothSpyder, and will be ordering my belt tensioner as soon as they are available. The tensioner on my ST basically reduced the vibration on that motorcycle by 95%. If the tensioner does the same for my F3S, I will be a happy camper. If not, I will learn to accept it as one of the annoying quirks of Spyder ryding. Love my new F3 and I won't let this ruin it for me.

bullant12
02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't compare the vibrations of the belt on a Spyder vs a Harley. The belt on ANY Spyder is one of the longest belts on a rear belt driven vehicle so without a tensioner/supporting pulley in between, vibrations will be common. I felt a few vibrations on my F3 but nothing to make me panic.

Orange Spyder Man
02-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I think its a design problem that is ignored by Can Am... if the belt is too long to minimize belt harmonics... Can Am should install a belt dampener...

osm

DB Dan
02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi all = My first post. Have had new F3 for 2 weeks now & almost broken in. Luv it! Got 30.8 mpg not using eco-mode w/fwy & twisty riding.
My friends got the same F3 a few days after I did & they both have a fairly significant grinding type vibration. It only occurs in 6th gear around 68 to 70 mph & approx. 6,800 to 7,000 rpm. The reviews I saw prior to purchasing also mentioned it. If anyone improves this situation with a belt tensioner4 or adjustment please advise with all details.
Thanks, DB Dan

rtlister
02-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Jack

i have a 2014 Spyder RT Limited and I get this same vibration. I only have 4000 miles. Will BRP warranty cover this?

Retired 2012
02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Hello all,
I finally hit the highway and unfortunately I to have a very bad vibration from 65-73 mph.
It felt like I was riding on a metal grate, over or under that speed it ways very smooth up to 87 mph then I backed off.
While slowing down the vibration was there but no where near the same rough feeling.

What needs to be done to eliminate this ????

Tom in NM
02-11-2015, 06:18 PM

What has your dealer said about this?

tom

Lamonster
02-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Hello all,
I finally hit the highway and unfortunately I to have a very bad vibration from 65-73 mph.
It felt like I was riding on a metal grate, over or under that speed it ways very smooth up to 87 mph then I backed off.
While slowing down the vibration was there but no where near the same rough feeling.

Any belt this long will have some vibration, most motorcycle guys never notice it because they're use to it on their bikes. As far as eliminating it you can't, you can move it around to a different speed by adjusting your belt tension. More or less will change the RPM it happens at.

capt.jim
02-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I fitted a tensioner to mine today, it fit well and was an easy install.
Unfortunately and surprisingly it didn't do much at all for the vibration that was present between 68-71MPH while accelerating.
Where 10-14 Lbs. has done wonders for most of the other models, even 20 Lbs didn't make a noticeable difference, maybe due to the larger sprocket or longer belt.
I'm not done yet, but it isn't looking too promising.102111

RPM
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
I fitted a tensioner to mine today, it fit well and was an easy install.
Unfortunately and surprisingly it didn't do much at all for the vibration that was present between 68-71MPH while accelerating.
Where 10-14 Lbs. has done wonders for most of the other models, even 20 Lbs didn't make a noticeable difference, maybe due to the larger sprocket or longer belt.
I'm not done yet, but it isn't looking too promising.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102111&stc=1

Have you come up with any solutions? I too have a marked vibration/grinding at around 65-72 mph. It's fairly strong. Annoying but not a big deal, I guess. Would be nice to get rid of if though...

RPM
02-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi,
My 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 Jan 30, 2014 had a little bit of the belt making noise/vibration similar to what you are talking about while under power or up hills at speed.
The belt was adjusted too far/tight to inside of rear pulley and I think set off the belt bouncing around making a little noise.
The 2014 RT-S was very touchy in adjusting the rear axle, belt side to side adjustment clearance.
Took me off & on about 1 week adjusting belt side to side rear pulley clearance, until adjusted belt about 1/8" off inside of rear pulley before the noise finally went away.
No belt vibration or noise in past 17,000 miles on 2014 RT-S SE6.
Hope this helps others.
Jim

Good job! I'm not mechanically inclined as you appear to be. I can't imagine the dealer would be willing to be as patient as you were to find that sweet spot for the belt but good to know! Thanks.

Ronbo
02-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Captain Jim,
put me down for a smooth Spyder Belt Tensioners as soon as they are available for the F3!

Ron

rtlister
02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
My 2014 is just barely broke in good ...and has the belt vibration at 65-75. Does BRP warranty cover this? Like you say, the vibration is annoying for sure. And I figure that vibration over time can't be good for the bike?

vgibbs4
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
I accepted delivery of my F3S on 1/21/2015 and to date have logged 750 miles. The only complaint I have is the vibration that on my ride starts the buzz in the handlebars and pegs at 64mph gets progressively worse to 72 then starts to lessen and disappears at 74. Does it affect the performance of the bike? No it doesn't. Is it annoying? Absolutely. This is not my first rodeo and I've experienced these harmonic belt vibrations on my 2009 GS, then my 2013 ST Limited. On neither of these Spyders was the vibration as pronounced as it is on the F3. I believe that is probably due to the additional power and torque plus the longer drive belt. I've already had several conversations with Jim at SmoothSpyder, and will be ordering my belt tensioner as soon as they are available. The tensioner on my ST basically reduced the vibration on that motorcycle by 95%. If the tensioner does the same for my F3S, I will be a happy camper. If not, I will learn to accept it as one of the annoying quirks of Spyder ryding. Love my new F3 and I won't let this ruin it for me.

Well we just got one Friday. It's awesome. That vibration is terrible. You don't spend that kind of money to deal with such a horrible vibration. Can am better figure it out. I wouldn't keep something that didn't ride smooth fr 0-100

Ronbo
03-16-2015, 06:02 PM

Traded my 2014RT LTD in for F3. RT did the same thing, Smooth`Spyder belt tensioner got rid of 95% of problem. My F3 wasn't doing it much the first 200 miles, at 450 miles, it's very noticeable. I'm thinking maybe belt tension changed as the break`in mileage increased, or maybe I was having so much fun that I didn't notice. At any rate, I just sent Capt. Jim an e`mail wanting a smooth spyder for my new ride. I intend to get one as soon as available. I'm also going to get belt tension checked.

Ron

vgibbs4
03-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Ours is brand new. Has a terrible vibration in the 70's. Not happy.

vondalyn
03-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Are those of you who sound so unhappy with this vibration new to motorcycles?

Ben Burped
03-16-2015, 08:47 PM
First of all, belts stretch when they are brand new. Secondly, consider investing in the correct tools to adjust the belt. Finally, look on Amazon for a Gates sonic meter to be able to accurately adjust the belt to factory specs. I did this on my RT and found that the vibration that I used to have wasn't there anymore. Don't know if this works on an F3.

hondaman
03-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Everyone should take it to the dealer when they get enough complaints they will look into some kind of fix.if just a few complain they will say it's normal.

vgibbs4
03-16-2015, 10:19 PM
No. I ride a Harley. This is my husbands second spyder. The vibration was really bad. Not just a little. It's was really bad. I was on the back. When you spend that much money that thing should be smooth all thru the speeds.

vgibbs4
03-16-2015, 10:20 PM
First of all, belts stretch when they are brand new. Secondly, consider investing in the correct tools to adjust the belt. Finally, look on Amazon for a Gates sonic meter to be able to accurately adjust the belt to factory specs. I did this on my RT and found that the vibration that I used to have wasn't there anymore. Don't know if this works on an F3.
The can am warrior for the dealer told us to put some miles on it. We will and see if it helps. If not can am needs to make it right.

wishey1
03-17-2015, 08:50 AM
...well, this is a concern for me. I was suppose to go down this morning and purchase an RT.

but, in light of what I read about the vibration I'm backing off. I don't understand why I study
about the can-am for 6 mths. then decide to get one and the day I'm to get it I read about a
God aweful vibration at highway speed.

Would this his have been a deal breaker for you all if you would have known about the vibration ?

vondalyn
03-17-2015, 09:42 AM
...well, this is a concern for me. I was suppose to go down this morning and purchase an RT.

but, in light of what I read about the vibration I'm backing off. I don't understand why I study
about the can-am for 6 mths. then decide to get one and the day I'm to get it I read about a

Would this his have been a deal breaker for you all if you would have known about the vibration ?
the vibration that people are talking about are on the F3 and either not all of us have it or not all of us are bothered by it -- not sure which.

OJ UK
03-17-2015, 09:58 AM

An RT is a different animal! This discussion is centred around the F3 and thus you should go and get your RT!
I'm going to go with Lamont's opinion and advice. He is a totally reliable authority on this Spyder.
I expect I'll get the same after a few hundred miles on my F3 (when it bloody well gets here!) but forewarned is
forearmed and I may well get the belt tension checked and adjusted as necessary until it, and the rest of the F3,
has broken in. TBH, if it proves to be the nature of the beast then I'll happily live with it.

vondalyn
03-17-2015, 10:04 AM
so... my dealership wanted me to come back after my break-in period (after 600 miles) and let them check the F3 out since it was the first one they sold. I did that and they DID adjust the belt tension. Possibly that's why I don't think the vibration is extreme on mine. I do feel a vibration at high speeds, but it's not what I would consider extreme nor do I feel the need to do anything about it -- I'm considering it "normal" belt harmonics and have no complaints.

BeRight
03-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Not a deal breaker for me, but I fully understand your concerns. I am not aware of an systemic high vibration issues with RTs. From what I have read on this forum the 2014 RT is a very reliable motorcycle and expect the 2015 to be the same.

I am in the process of buying an F3-S. Belt high vibration is an issue being raised by some F3 owners. Does it concern me - only a little. Will there be other issues reported - I would thing so. I am willing to take the risk that issues will be resolved with mine for the reward of a smile on my face every time I ride it.

I knew about vibration, heat and other issues with Spyder's before I purchased my first Spyder in 2008 (first Spyder's made by BRP).
Lamonster and this website of great members and vendors gave me a confident feeling that most if not all issues could and would be resolved. Has it been smooth sailing for all - no - 2013 RTs heat issues is one example. BRP Recall with hopefully fix (who knows) this problem for those who have suffered for a long time.

I may be one of the lucky ones or maybe the norm - my 2008 Spyder RS has been a true joy overall and I still it enjoy today. Yes, I made changes to the 2008 RS that fixed heat and belt vibration issues - fixes that Lamonster came up with. However, the RS was still enjoyable while going through this process.

It seems that all vehicles have issues for some - just read about the abundant and sometimes major car/truck recalls. There are consumer protection laws - lemon laws/safety boards boards in states that force manufacturers to fix systemic problems in "some cases." Unfortunately not a perfect world. And some get the bad end of the stick.

Only you can make the call - risk/reward in most things one does.

Tom in NM
03-17-2015, 10:18 AM
the vibration that people are talking about are on the F3 and either not all of us have it or not all of us are bothered by it -- not sure which.

. . . I don't feel anything unusual or disturbing at any of the speeds mentioned on my F3 - and I have looked. Given the number of comments, something may be going on - but, there may be a personal factor besides the belt tension or harmonics, like weight on the bike, that turns something natural into something disturbing. Tire balancing and wheel alignment could also be contributing factors.

All I can recommend is to note all the conditions it takes to create the effect and have your Spyder tech recreate them when he checks it out. Or, have another Spyder-rider test it to see what they feel.

Tom

RPM
03-17-2015, 11:21 AM

I have had a couple of bikes and have ridden several more. The vibration/grinding that I feel is not the typical vibration I've felt on other bikes.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! It's annoying and a bummer when I'm in that zone, but the rest of the bike is fantastic and I would NOT think twice at getting the F3!

An RT is a different animal! This discussion is centred around the F3 and thus you should go and get your RT!
I'm going to go with Lamont's opinion and advice. He is a totally reliable authority on this Spyder.
I expect I'll get the same after a few hundred miles on my F3 (when it bloody well gets here!) but forewarned is
forearmed and I may well get the belt tension checked and adjusted as necessary until it, and the rest of the F3,
has broken in. TBH, if it proves to be the nature of the beast then I'll happily live with it.

You're spot on, OJ. If this is just what the bike does, then so be it. I'm actually off to the dealership today and was going to have them take a look and see if the belt specs were within limits. I'd be curious their take on it. Again, this is a great bike with just an annoying vibration/grinding at around 67-72mph (for me) mainly during acceleration but still a bit at constant speed. Maybe when the pain of my constant grinning while ryding fades away I may be more concerned but I'm not sure that will ever happen! :yes:

Grandpaspeed
03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I have had a couple of bikes and have ridden several more. The vibration/grinding that I feel is not the typical vibration I've felt on other bikes.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! It's annoying and a bummer when I'm in that zone, but the rest of the bike is fantastic and I would NOT think twice at getting the F3!

You're spot on, OJ. If this is just what the bike does, then so be it. I'm actually off to the dealership today and was going to have them take a look and see if the belt specs were within limits. I'd be curious their take on it. Again, this is a great bike with just an annoying vibration/grinding at around 67-72mph (for me) mainly during acceleration but still a bit at constant speed. Maybe when the pain of my constant grinning while ryding fades away I may be more concerned but I'm not sure that will ever happen! :yes:
I have had the privilege of riding three F3 and all of them had the same vibration described and it came on at about 67 mph and went away around 72 mph just like what was stated above. To me it feels like your running over the alert bumps they put in roads to let you know your coming to a stop sign.

I hope BRP is listening and comes up with a solution to fix this. This is not normal and should be fixed.

wishey1
03-17-2015, 08:13 PM
...I really appreciate you guys for pouring your knowledge and hearts out. In the end

I went with a can-am!! Going to post about it now in the rt forum...

thanks again...

:2thumbs:

SPYD3R
03-17-2015, 08:19 PM
YUP, AND I'M WILLING TO BET ANY1 A COFFEE THAT IT'S DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE 'KENDA' TIRES......
IT'S LIKE RIDING ON A WASH-BOARD..... a very fast vibration....
any1 take my bet......?????
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

Tom in NM
03-17-2015, 08:28 PM
YUP, AND I'M WILLING TO BET ANY 1 A COFFEE . . . .

. . . . . but, Dan, I know enough to not bet against you.

Tom

vondalyn
03-17-2015, 09:41 PM
...I really appreciate you guys for pouring your knowledge and hearts out. In the end

I went with a can-am!! Going to post about it now in the rt forum...

thanks again...

:2thumbs:
Welcome to the Spyderhood

RPM
03-17-2015, 09:51 PM
YUP, AND I'M WILLING TO BET ANY1 A COFFEE THAT IT'S DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE 'KENDA' TIRES......
IT'S LIKE RIDING ON A WASH-BOARD..... a very fast vibration....
any1 take my bet......?????
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

Hmmm, I may take that bet! Went to the dealer and they took it out for a ride. They said, "Yup, it's the belt vibrating". They did mention they could loosen it up a bit but it would still vibrate but at a lower speed. I agree because I rode two up with my 14 year son (by the way, he's hooked!!!) anyway with two up it was vibrating/grinding at around 50-55mph. Harmonic vibration changed due to weight/stress on the bike.

alphabikergeek
03-22-2015, 05:35 PM
I get the same vibration/grinding sensation at the same speeds, only when accelerating though that speed range. It's brief, but noticeable.
Thanks for posting. I will bring it to my dealerships attention.

Tom - Thanks for the detailed response! That does not really describe what I am feeling. I need to take it to the dealer one of the days they are open and it is above freezing! Mine is very consistent. Starting at around 65 and most prevalent between 69-71 just rolling on the throttle causes a very noticeable vibration that lasts 1.5-3 seconds...I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because that means they need to test ride it and I don't want anyone riding my bike!

Martin Slovakia
03-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Guys i have probably the same problem. I am not sure at what speed, but the engine or tge bike is great till i am in 5th or 6th arround 3800rpm -4300rpm... That it dissapears.. The feeling is bit like, the bike would like to go appart.. True is, that i have arround 120miles only yet.. But i am not happy about it :(

vondalyn
03-27-2015, 02:16 PM
it's the long belt. it's totally in your control to speed up or slow down so that you're not driving in the vibration zone.

Grandpaspeed
03-27-2015, 11:17 PM
it's the long belt. it's totally in your control to speed up or slow down so that you're not driving in the vibration zone.

We should not have to drive out of the vibration. BRP needs to fix this, our bikes aren't some cheap China made bikes, we all payed over 20k for our bikes so there is no excuse for this.:banghead:

Nyparrothead
03-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Hi,

Has anyone taken their F3 in to the dealer and had them address this issue, if so what was their reply. I am due to take delivery on my F3S in a couple weeks and this has me concerned.

Mark

jneg2
03-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Has anyone taken their F3 in to the dealer and had them address this issue, if so what was their reply. I am due to take delivery on my F3S in a couple weeks and this has me concerned.

Mark

Any chance you are purchasing bike in Mineola?

Nyparrothead
03-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Any chance you are purchasing bike in Mineola?

No chance.. The dealers on LI suck ! I went to CT

mark

John C
04-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Definitely feel the vibration when accelerating from 67 mph to 72 mph. Have a little over 1,200 miles on the bike and it's had this vibration from the beginning. Almost feels like running over small speed bumps?

Dropping the F3s at the dealers next Friday to install heated grips and some driving lights, I'll have them check it out while it's there.

If they have anything to fix this minor problem, I'll post a report.

Seems to me like this machine could benefit from a belt tension/idler roller of some sort?

John C
Peyton
CO USA

Stingray69
04-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Definitely feel the vibration when accelerating from 67 mph to 72 mph. Have a little over 1,200 miles on the bike and it's had this vibration from the beginning. Almost feels like running over small speed bumps?

Dropping the F3s at the dealers next Friday to install heated grips and some driving lights, I'll have them check it out while it's there.

If they have anything to fix this minor problem, I'll post a report.

Seems to me like this machine could benefit from a belt tension/idler roller of some sort?

John C
Peyton
CO USA
Lets count, how many people having a vibration problem,

Ronbo
04-19-2015, 09:45 AM

I have pronounced vibrations in 6th gear at 3000 RPM AND ABOVE, makes freeway riding unpleasant. I am on the waiting list for Capt. Jim's belt tensioner Also BRP says they are looking for a fix. BRP Says belt tension should be set at 750N,+\~150N
Ron

rob1833
05-04-2015, 08:27 PM
yep exact speed only on acceleration, im with ya

Ronbo
05-05-2015, 12:36 AM

Hi,
i have an f3 that his is as slick, powerful and smooth,as you'd expect from that kcaliber of machine, right up to 67-75,af which point it becomes as a machine with worn out ball bearings and square wheels !

ron

kaamacat
05-05-2015, 06:50 AM
On my first ride(s) with the F3 this weekend, 160m & 170m days, I did notice a vibration at just about
3800-3900 RPM. I'll have to check it again this coming weekend and compare the RPMs, sound, and play
in 5th and 6th. (It sounds more like engine harmonics to me and not in the driveline/belt...etc)

jcthorne
05-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Drove my new F3 home from Spyderfest. Now have about 800 miles on the bike. Belt has loosened a bit with break in and the vibration point has come down the scale. When new it was at about 73 or 74. Now its in the 71, 72 range. But it is significantly more belt vibration that what my 13 RT had before the smoothspyder tensioner. I also note that my belt is riding right against the flange on the rear sprocket but its not enough to leave black marks or wear the belt edge, my RT did the same for 8500 miles.

I look forward to a solution for this. A small annoyance on an otherwise fabulous bike.

Ronbo
05-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Still not acceptable and degrading the enjoyment of a beautiful machine,

Ron

kaamacat
05-05-2015, 09:52 AM

Ron

100% agree. Especially being in the sweet-spot for highway cruising. (We need someone with a dyno
rack to run it on and observe for some better analysis)

Wardawg
05-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Yup....I have had my since April 4th and noticed the vibration beyond 65+. Left side and it seems to be getting worse. But I have noticed that it does not grind when using the cruise control. I have 600 miles on her now and I'm taking her in for her first service this weekend and to get all the accessories I ordered put on her. I will be sure and inform them of this vibration. Feed back coming....

jcthorne
05-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Yup....I have had my since April 4th and noticed the vibration beyond 65+. Left side and it seems to be getting worse. But I have noticed that it does not grind when using the cruise control. I have 600 miles on her now and I'm taking her in for her first service this weekend and to get all the accessories I ordered put on her. I will be sure and inform them of this vibration. Feed back coming....

First service is not until 3000 miles. Still a good time to install accessories and get the vibration on record.

kenfromhv
05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Talked to a knowledgeable biker who stated that most Triples vibrate around 4000 rpm, and that the vibration magnifies along the belt.

Did a quick google on "vibration and triples" and noted issues with Triumph, BMW, Yamaha, and the Harley-Davidson XL 1200"s.

My solution is to increase or decrease speed or change gears (SM6) - 4000 rpm - 68 mph in 6th gear; downshift into 5th gear - 5000 rpm. The same applies at lower speeds and gears.

Hopefully a better solution in belt adjustments will be found.

pdxsenior
05-06-2015, 06:35 AM
I also, get that vibration at 65+. Since I have the Garmin tire pressure sensors installed, I have been able to "watch" speed to pressure. Keeping the pressure as close to recommended "during the ride" has removed some of that. I do know for a fact that at 104mph, no vibration with front tires at 15.2psi.

kaamacat
05-14-2015, 01:18 PM
With the belt tension unit offered... thought here... you figure that the unit will stop
some of the vibration/movement but not all, and, you do not want to over-tension the
belt. What-if the unit was mounted similar to an engine or transmission mount (isolator)
so the remaining vibrations travel through rubber vs steel/aluminum?

No different than if you took engine mounts in a car and went urethane or solids. There
is a huge difference just going rubber to urethane in what is transmitted. And with this
somewhere along the line you still have metal-on-metal. (THOUGHTS?)

BeRight
05-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Talked to a knowledgeable biker who stated that most Triples vibrate around 4000 rpm, and that the vibration magnifies along the belt.

Did a quick google on "vibration and triples" and noted issues with Triumph, BMW, Yamaha, and the Harley-Davidson XL 1200"s.

My solution is to increase or decrease speed or change gears (SM6) - 4000 rpm - 68 mph in 6th gear; downshift into 5th gear - 5000 rpm. The same applies at lower speeds and gears.

:agree: This is spot on with my experience as well - yesterday I just happened to downshift into 5th gear when vibration started (67-68 mph in 6th gear ) and vibration was significantly reduced.

Wippi01
05-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Ron
I absolutely agree with Ron. For the amount of money we shell out for a F3 you can very well expect a smooth ride at ALL rpm...

kaamacat
05-14-2015, 03:11 PM
I do agree 200%. There should be no vibration in the unit.

I know everyone is thinking belt (and I'm sure that's part of it but), I still can't help
think its engine/exhaust related moreso at that 4000rpm-ish sweet spot. Is there
anyone on here that has changed their exhaust and seen any difference? The harmonic
felt, honestly feels much more "engine" than "drivetrain" itself.

(Or better put similar to a drone some cars will get at that specific rpm).... Obviously
this one is felt.

ABQSpyder
05-15-2015, 11:47 AM

I know everyone is thinking belt (and I'm sure that's part of it but), I still can't help
think its engine/exhaust related moreso at that 4000rpm-ish sweet spot. Is there
anyone on here that has changed their exhaust and seen any difference? The harmonic

(Or better put similar to a drone some cars will get at that specific rpm).... Obviously
this one is felt.

When bike was picked up had cat removed and it still has a vibration.
Put cat back on still has vibration.

jcthorne
05-15-2015, 04:45 PM

this one is felt.

I get the vibration between 70 and 75, no matter if I am in 4th, 5th or 6th. Its not engine vibration. Its the belt flappin

hondaman
05-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Mine has gotten worse after I hit around 1,000 miles. I am not a picky person but this is getting horrible

fjcady
05-15-2015, 06:03 PM

mine also has the same sound at the above speeds im not to wooried just that it is annoying as soon as someone has a definite solution then ill act it has a warranty:banghead: its still an awesome ryde i just passed 1000 miles still :yes::yes::yes:

kaamacat
05-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Think I will dig out my old (2008 old) GoPro Wide and video this thing somehow.... beep the horn when I feel
the vibrations...etc. Get that puppy just to the left of the belt about as far out as the saddlebag edge
to be safe.

Nemesis
05-21-2015, 03:46 PM
I just noticed the vibration for the first time this week, also around the 70 mph mark.

Anyone had any new information from their dealers or BRP?

Ronbo
05-21-2015, 04:17 PM

You betcha! And don't let anyone tell you it's normal. IMHO it's mostly belt vibrations/harmonics my 2013 RT AND 2014 RT had it, and it was 95% stopped by Smooth-Spyder belt tensioner ( a vendor on this forum), Capt. Jim is working on one for the F3. Send him an e-mail. Oh, have someone check your belt tension. Should be 750N , plus or minus 75N according to those in the know. An advanced search on vibrations also may be informative.

good luck

Ron

Air Wing Guy
05-22-2015, 11:18 AM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107889&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107891&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107890&stc=1
Baker Built Air Wings solved the 65-75 MPH vibration problem on the F3 Spyder. We have installed a spring loaded idler pulley on both top and bottom of the drive belt. We spent time and effort researching and testing on our own new S3 Spyder. We will absolutely guarantee this new dual pulley system to solve up to 90% of your 65-75 MPH vibration problems or your money back including shipping. We will be offering a special introduction for the top & bottom system for only $225.00. We will be offering free installation on the new F3 Belt Stabilizer at Spyder Jam at Cowtown Cuba, Mo on June 10-13.

Nyparrothead
05-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Took my new f3s out for a 50 mile trip and at 63 or so I feels like I'm riding a blender full of rocks... For 23k this sucks

I will start the documentation process soon and most likely make a lemon law claim if it is not fixed

mark

Nyparrothead
05-24-2015, 09:53 PM
I bought the f3 while I lived in NY at a dealer in CT. I am in the process of moving to NW Iowa and will be using a dealer in MN for service. If I end up making a claim under the lemon law, what state would I do it in....

i have no no faith that BRP it going to address this issue and will say it's "normal"

mark

RPM
05-25-2015, 03:13 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107889&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107891&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107890&stc=1
Baker Built Air Wings solved the 65-75 MPH vibration problem on the F3 Spyder. We have installed a spring loaded idler pulley on both top and bottom of the drive belt. We spent time and effort researching and testing on our own new S3 Spyder. We will absolutely guarantee this new dual pulley system to solve up to 90% of your 65-75 MPH vibration problems or your money back including shipping. We will be offering a special introduction for the top & bottom system for only $225.00. We will be offering free installation on the new F3 Belt Stabilizer at Spyder Jam at Cowtown Cuba, Mo on June 10-13.

If someone with the bad vibration/grinding installs one of these, please give us your thoughts.

jcthorne
05-25-2015, 06:40 AM
I'll wait for SmoothSpyder to launch his. He is working on it.

jcthorne
06-11-2015, 12:11 PM

Any updates on the F3 belt tensioner?

dukeBlue48
06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I have just gotten a 2015 RT Limted have the same issues. Vibration at roll on. I've got it in the 3800 to 4100/4200 rpm range. Dealer said it might be the clutch in a transistion vib range. I to can roll on and get it. 1330 CC engine with 6 speed auto trans.
dukeblue48:sour:

kaamacat
06-11-2015, 01:41 PM

The more of your postings with that new Blue...Damn that is a great look! (We may now return to
our regularly scheduled program) ;)

capt.jim
06-11-2015, 09:02 PM

I just got the first finished prototype which I will test riding with the wounded warriors on their way to Key West.

RedStar
06-14-2015, 03:11 PM
New to this forum, new F3S, old vibration problem. I was making plans to take my F3 back to the dealer after taking a long ride yesterday, and was able to isolate the conditions my vibration comes and goes. Using cruise control to get exact rpm and speed. My vibration only occurs at 3800-4100 RPM in 5th and 6th gear. It comes and goes, as many have already mentioned. I am leaving on a 2500 miles trip with 4 other guys each riding their bikes. I was pretty bummed after riding yesterday thinking I was not able to go with the new machine because the engine had a bad vibration. I thought I would come to a Spyder forum for answers before going to the dealer, and found this thread. Needless to say, I am quite relieved to read that this not an engine problem, and I'm not alone with this problem. From reading this thread at least we are moving closer to a solution. I'll be able to go on my trip, and feel much more comfortable about it. I got my Spyder 2 weeks ago and have 700 miles on it now, and really enjoy the ride. I have been very involved in online forums in the past, and have really benefited from them over the years, so I decided to join this one.
Thanx!

Shogun
07-30-2015, 10:46 PM

Totally agree with the downshift theory. I also notice the vibration in 5th around 58-60 mph. Looks like best two options so far is to downshift or power through it. Would be nice if we could just ignore it but :sour:

Liberty Vallance
06-26-2016, 11:22 AM

I know this is an old thread, I am very new just bought 2016 RT Limited 5 days ago. Noticed the vibration you mentioned right near the speeds you mentioned kinda freaking me out.
did you ever find anything out on how to stop it or was it something wrong and not just harmonic from the belt?

any help will be appreciated...

rtlister
06-26-2016, 12:00 PM
It is the drive belt vibration. I had / have the same thing. There are a couple products on the market. Google Smooth Spyder (I think that's what it's called). Nearly all Spyders have this issue. You would think Can Am would have addressed it.

When I first got my Spyder and drove on the Interstate and experienced that vibration (starts around 67-70). I thought something was terribly wrong! There is a youtube video that shows the belt (Go Pro cam) vibration before and after...the Smooth Rider attachment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PaladinLV
06-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Harley belts are TOO SHORT to cause a harmonic vibration. ;)

AJ

Jack

btcherm
06-26-2016, 01:59 PM

:roflblack::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lect uref_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

rtlister
06-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Watch these three short videos, each about the Spyder belt vibrations:

https://youtu.be/jQRHcKqlVUc

https://youtu.be/MbAu3S1-KRo

https://youtu.be/wxCtlCxfsqw

catfishyates
06-26-2016, 04:34 PM
New F3 owner as well. 3weeks now and 400 miles. Told dealer about vibration issue and they said YEP! It does that! Unbelievable that they don't have this problem fixed from the factory. A $20k bike should not have that issue. But what's worse is the dealer should just tell you up front that this is a characteristic of the bike.

vondalyn
06-26-2016, 07:28 PM
so... usually I try not to get involved when this topic comes around again, but I've seen posts where folks have said that after X miles (3000 miles?) there was no more vibration so it seems to be a belt break-in issue? I do that in about a month, so maybe that's why I never noticed it.

rtlister
06-26-2016, 07:43 PM
My 2014 RT Limited has over 19,000 miles. It still has the vibration that begins (depending on whether going up hill or down) approx 67-70 mph. It's always done it, including after an adjustment from one of the biggest (and best) Can Am dealerships in the country. I have heard of many other RT owners who have the same issue. And yes, the response that most get from Can Am is ..."that's the nature of the beast...don't worry about it".

At some point I am going to put the belt stabilizer on mine. :-)

ZENspyderman
06-26-2016, 07:52 PM

Jack
I AGREE my harley NEVER did this. This is totally a BRP problem, same with Lazer alignment. GET with IT BRP.

Great Machine 2016 RT LTD but at 40,000.00 dollars BRP tune it up!!!!!.

catfishyates
06-27-2016, 06:00 PM
so... usually I try not to get involved when this topic comes around again, but I've seen posts where folks have said that after X miles (3000 miles?) there was no more vibration so it seems to be a belt break-in issue? I do that in about a month, so maybe that's why I never noticed it.

That is good to hear. Hope it goes away on mine!

Bruce B
06-27-2016, 07:39 PM

Don't believe all that you read on here that there is such a thing as (belt break-in issue) these are of carbon composite belts so you will get a minimum amount of stretch and after several thousand miles you can get wear on the teeth plus you can get holes punch throw it with stones, been there done that.

All Spyders from day one have had the same problem belt vibration and BRP have known about it but don't want to fix it as there are now several belt tensioners out there on the market so why would they waste there money fixing the problem, they don't care about your problems never have and never will care.

I put a lot of the blame on the dealers they know about the problem but do they ever tell a prospective buyer no way, all Spyders have belt vibration and when you go back to them they all check belt tension and in most cases tighten it more, when the best thing is to reduce the tension down to around 180lb and fit a Smooth Spyder belt tensioner end of problem believe me it works the best plus by doing that it reducers the tension on the front pulley which some are having problems with all mainly because of to belt much tension.

Now I have designed a belt stone guard setup for the 2015 F3 / S and have now fitted several of them with excellent results.:yes:

T-Mac
07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Everyone should take it to the dealer when they get enough complaints they will look into some kind of fix.if just a few complain they will say it's normal.

I have my excessive belt vibration documented repeatedly at my dealer & have brought it to BRP's attention.

While in communication with BRP, I've been given the "bla bla bla" normal, this is the way it is speil, but was informed my machine has been known to have the chassis crack due to "excessive belt vibration" & my dealer may warrant installing a bracket under my drivers' seat to prevent such breakage.

That is an admittance of a fault!!! And a pretty damn serious one, in my opinion.

So, instead of placing a damn band aid on a broken leg, why not fix the underlying issue by supplying us (owners) with a belt tensioner (damper) instead???

I'm already experiencing other vibration-related issues with my F3 that is less than 7 months old. It's already had the belt adjusted & while I have it in this Friday to have other issues addressed (due to the excessive vibration) I will have the belt adjusted again.

I was also informed that if I were to install an aftermarket belt tensioner (such as the one offered at smoothspyder.com) I will void my warranty. To me, that means BRP has given me two options on how to cope with my excessive vibration & they are take it or leave it.

While reading test ride articles in magazines, BRP states "we are aware of the belt vibration & are working on ways to correct this issue."

I believe they should be offering us all a free tensioner, at the very least.

This, by the way, is not my first "bike" nor is it my first belt drive. I can't count how many I've had. I'm fully aware of the length of the Spyder belt vs say, a Kawasaki, but you'd think that BRP would also be aware of the length & have designed SOMETHING to take up the slack. Gheesh, they've been at this now for a decade...