PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my F3s today, 1st thoughts.

Tom in NM
01-28-2015, 09:41 PM
"NICE, very nice!"

Some background, I had a 2008 GS and a 2013 STS before the F3s. I tend to ride pretty aggressively and speed limits always feel to low to my throttle hand - I call my riding style "Sporty". I've been riding motorcycles since 1965. I took the demo ride twice and got a good introduction to the F3. After the first demo, I put my money down.

Riding home from the dealership and running some errands, I got to do a direct comparison to road conditions that I had experienced earlier in the day.

Impressions:
The main impression for every ride on the F3 is "Smooth". The power curve and engine sound is just pure joy. It is responsive, smooth, and assured. It is not as nimble as the GS or STS, but it feels more sure-footed and determined. The shocks and frame combine to let you feel the road, but there are no uncomfortable bumps. If you are expecting a feather bed, this is not it, but it takes speed bumps and potholes with assurance and comfort - no feel of bucking or bouncing - always in control.

While it is under the STS and GS in being quick/nimble, it is just under - and very responsive at avoiding debris in the road - plus on quick swerves - there no ( in comparison ) sway. Going though some expressway exits with wide curves was a very pleasant experience. The engineers are to be congratulated. Sitting lower and the seat also made the centrifugal force seem much lower ( I will kind of miss that ). Oh, and sitting lower actually gives me/you the impression of greater speed - a couple of times I was surprised to see I was at the speed limit, not the 5+mph that I thought I was.

It was my first ride on a brand new machine, so I didn't push things, but I got plenty of grins and never once met the bike's nanny. Surprising, since earlier in the day, it popped on for a couple of the turns.

The gear/power curve is different, but not in a radical way. So, I found myself shifting more, but after a half hour, it felt more natural - and the 6th Gear is heaven on wheels. When coming into a stop or stop light and letting the F3 downshift, it did 'surge' a little, each time it downshifted. That was fine - the GS and STS never did that - just different.

I bought the Blue Ridge windshield (I wanted the Route 66, but that was not to be). It is nice. I am 5'7" and the wind stream hits my (receding) hairline. Above 50mph, some wind started jiggling my glasses and I was wishing I had worn my goggles. Sitting, my eyes are over the top of the shield. While the shield is bigger than the one on the STS, if you look at pictures of the F3, it attaches much lower and has a greater slope to it. Some people have mentioned distortion, for me, there was nothing unexpected, abnormal or disturbing. But, I think the Route 66 would have worked better for me - so I will probably replace this at some time in the future. For me, there is just a little too much face/head exposure for a comfortable day long ride - and we do have big bugs out here.

Getting on and off the F3 is really different. I have not got that mastered yet, but it will workout. ( I am a real klutz, so I need lots of practice ) On the GS and STS, I could drive through a gate, swing off the Spyder and let it keep on rolling while I went back and closed the gate. With the F3, I don't think that is going to work.

To shift into or out of reverse, you have to be stopped and have the brake pressed.

The bike's build/fit/finish is really nice. It feels strong and looks nice. And coming from a family of Body Shop painters - BRP gets nothing but smiles of appreciation from me.

Some 'negatives'
Yes, I will miss the bigger trunk on the other bikes. Yes, the speedometer still goes up to 200mph which makes it useless for speeds under 30. The gauges are fine, but difficult to see driving into bright sun and they are in the shade - especially with sunglasses on. To me the frame bars are orange ( most of the time ), not red. I wish the mirrors were more like the ones on the STS, but they work very well - they just seem smaller. I was expecting the front wheels to be darker, not as much silver

It is a personal thing if you like the looks or feel of the seat or the riding position. I do. It is a kick and a joy to ride, as were the GS and STS. I am pretty sure I will not miss them, though.

Last thing to say, " Hey, BRP if you see this THANKS! You did a great job! " and a big thanks to the dealership here in Albuquerque, R&S - nice people.

Tom

Brian Kay
01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Awesome review, but since I just purchased a 2014 RT-S in July of 2014, I'll have to wait for the next big reveal! Have fun on your new toy and enjoy the cruising.

Chupaca
01-28-2015, 09:52 PM
thoughts,thoughts..is what your going to give us...:roflblack::roflblack: nice review..:thumbup::thumbup:you have a very honest rundown on your new ryde (congrats by the way) it seems to fit my perseption of the F3. I think you are going to be very happy with this ryde but some of your obsevations is why I love my RS...enjoy..!! :thumbup:

Sarge707
01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks Tom! Nice to hear from You.

chuck gross
01-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Tom, great review and one sweet looking machine I bet it is hard to wipe that smile from your face enjoy the ryde and thanks for comparison to the RS and ST I got to sit on the F3 at the Seattle IMS but have yet to demo ryde one you are gonna have a blast. :thumbup:

AppleSpyder
01-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Very nice and informative review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have been wondering what people have been thinking about their new F3s, this is the first review I have seen here.(although I may have missed earlier ones). Congratulations and please keep us updated.

PrairieSpyder
01-28-2015, 10:04 PM
:congrats: on getting your new machine. And thanks for the review.

hdlongrod
01-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the experienced comparison and review! Sweet F3 too! Enjoy

Big Arm
01-29-2015, 01:20 AM
:congrats: Tom, nice looking machine :bowdown: Thanks for the nice write up ! Enjoy

ARtraveler
01-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Thank you for posting impressions of your new ride. :congrats:

Purple Guy
01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Great review Tom!
I'm sure you'll tons of fun on your new machine!

Motorcycledave
01-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Hey !!!!
You look great on that new ride... I took one out for about two hours and that will be my
next Spyder for sure, I even have my wife's blessing, she knows how much I miss my ST1300
and that is about as close as she will let me get.... by the way I saw an article on how to add
a turbo to it. it should not be long before some one puts a supercharger on one...
you may want to stock up on rear tires
Ride Safe
Dave

"NICE, very nice!"

Some background, I had a 2008 GS and a 2013 STS before the F3s. I tend to ride pretty aggressively and speed limits always feel to low to my throttle hand - I call my riding style "Sporty". I've been riding motorcycles since 1965. I took the demo ride twice and got a good introduction to the F3. After the first demo, I put my money down.

Riding home from the dealership and running some errands, I got to do a direct comparison to road conditions that I had experienced earlier in the day.

Impressions:
The main impression for every ride on the F3 is "Smooth". The power curve and engine sound is just pure joy. It is responsive, smooth, and assured. It is not as nimble as the GS or STS, but it feels more sure-footed and determined. The shocks and frame combine to let you feel the road, but there are no uncomfortable bumps. If you are expecting a feather bed, this is not it, but it takes speed bumps and potholes with assurance and comfort - no feel of bucking or bouncing - always in control.

While it is under the STS and GS in being quick/nimble, it is just under - and very responsive at avoiding debris in the road - plus on quick swerves - there no ( in comparison ) sway. Going though some expressway exits with wide curves was a very pleasant experience. The engineers are to be congratulated. Sitting lower and the seat also made the centrifugal force seem much lower ( I will kind of miss that ). Oh, and sitting lower actually gives me/you the impression of greater speed - a couple of times I was surprised to see I was at the speed limit, not the 5+mph that I thought I was.

It was my first ride on a brand new machine, so I didn't push things, but I got plenty of grins and never once met the bike's nanny. Surprising, since earlier in the day, it popped on for a couple of the turns.

The gear/power curve is different, but not in a radical way. So, I found myself shifting more, but after a half hour, it felt more natural - and the 6th Gear is heaven on wheels. When coming into a stop or stop light and letting the F3 downshift, it did 'surge' a little, each time it downshifted. That was fine - the GS and STS never did that - just different.

I bought the Blue Ridge windshield (I wanted the Route 66, but that was not to be). It is nice. I am 5'7" and the wind stream hits my (receding) hairline. Above 50mph, some wind started jiggling my glasses and I was wishing I had worn my goggles. Sitting, my eyes are over the top of the shield. While the shield is bigger than the one on the STS, if you look at pictures of the F3, it attaches much lower and has a greater slope to it. Some people have mentioned distortion, for me, there was nothing unexpected, abnormal or disturbing. But, I think the Route 66 would have worked better for me - so I will probably replace this at some time in the future. For me, there is just a little too much face/head exposure for a comfortable day long ride - and we do have big bugs out here.

Getting on and off the F3 is really different. I have not got that mastered yet, but it will workout. ( I am a real klutz, so I need lots of practice ) On the GS and STS, I could drive through a gate, swing off the Spyder and let it keep on rolling while I went back and closed the gate. With the F3, I don't think that is going to work.

To shift into or out of reverse, you have to be stopped and have the brake pressed.

The bike's build/fit/finish is really nice. It feels strong and looks nice. And coming from a family of Body Shop painters - BRP gets nothing but smiles of appreciation from me.

Some 'negatives'
Yes, I will miss the bigger trunk on the other bikes. Yes, the speedometer still goes up to 200mph which makes it useless for speeds under 30. The gauges are fine, but difficult to see driving into bright sun and they are in the shade - especially with sunglasses on. To me the frame bars are orange ( most of the time ), not red. I wish the mirrors were more like the ones on the STS, but they work very well - they just seem smaller. I was expecting the front wheels to be darker, not as much silver

It is a personal thing if you like the looks or feel of the seat or the riding position. I do. It is a kick and a joy to ride, as were the GS and STS. I am pretty sure I will not miss them, though.

Last thing to say, " Hey, BRP if you see this THANKS! You did a great job! " and a big thanks to the dealership here in Albuquerque, R&S - nice people.

Tom

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Hey !!!!
You look great on that new ride... I took one out for about two hours and that will be my
next Spyder for sure, I even have my wife's blessing, she knows how much I miss my ST1300
and that is about as close as she will let me get.... by the way I saw an article on how to add
a turbo to it. it should not be long before some one puts a supercharger on one...
you may want to stock up on rear tires
Ride Safe
Dave
:yikes:......TURBO !!!!!...........On the F-3 , or the St 1300........and if on the F-3 ........we want more info .......Mike :thumbup:

hawkiii
01-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks, you did a very good job of explaining your experience so far. I have a party very interested in my 2008 GS. I will miss her, but I really want an F3. Thanks again for the write up, I enjoyed it.