PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible.......

SpyderRx
01-26-2015, 10:16 PM
That the RT gets outsold this year by the F3? I know the RT makes up a majority of Spyder sales and I doubt the F3 outsells it, but this may be the closest competition the RT has had since its introduction. So what do ya'll think?

Chupaca
01-26-2015, 10:33 PM
lots of hype, publicity, adds, but on the other hand I am seeing dealer with units coming in not sold or spoken for. Pre sales seem good but now Fred public have to give it the real test for that on the fence crowd to jump or fall off. Sales records are scarce so we will have to depend on units left on the dealer showroom floor. Seen and heard good things about the colors on the RT's and they will hold there own...me I love my RS..:2thumbs:

JayBros
01-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Does it really matter? It's a folks and strokes issue. JMO.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-26-2015, 11:47 PM
IMHO......I don't think the F-3 is going to hurt the RT sales one bit.......they are apples and oranges ..........However the F-3 vs. the rest of the Spyder line-up.....Unless you are really into an antiquated , high revving , noisy , smelly , high maintenance ( cost and time ) " V " twin ./.....Then I think the F-3 is going to be the Winner.......Mike :thumbup:

Dragonrider
01-27-2015, 12:41 AM
I agree - apples & oranges. It has a better chance of hurting Harley trike sales... (that's 40 or 50/yr??).

SpyderRx
01-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Does it really matter? It's a folks and strokes issue. JMO.
No it doesn't matter. It's just a simple topic of conversation.

JayBros
01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
No it doesn't matter. It's just a simple topic of conversation.

Didn't mean to offend, could have omitted first sentence. My apology.

robmorg
01-27-2015, 08:48 AM
IMHO......I don't the F-3 is going to hurt the RT sales one bit.......they are apples and oranges ..........However the F-3 vs. the rest of the Spyder line-up.....Unless you are really into an antiquated , high revving , noisy , smelly , high maintenance ( cost and time ) " V " twin ./.....Then I think the F-3 is going to be the Winner.......Mike :thumbup:roflmao. Mike, I think you should have left the "H" out of "IMHO". ;)

Once I got used to it, I really enjoy my antiquated high revving 998 Rotax. But I tend to agree with you, even though I wouldn't have stated the case quite the way you did. :sour:. I think the F3 will probably take second place in the sales statistics. I also predict that the F3 will probably replace the RS in the lineup, and that the ST will morph into a more "F3-like" design.

ARtraveler
01-27-2015, 01:21 PM
IMO: F3 will give the 2015 RT's a run for the money. The F3 appeals to a younger market, and that is going to bring a few more first-time :spyder2: owners into the fold.

I am sure that many are still waiting to hear information from the beta testers out in the field before jumping on board. April or May for more information that we can speculate about.

We will probably never find out the exact answer. As mentioned, sales numbers are not forthcoming from BRP.

So far, it looks and sounds similar to last year regarding orders placed and units now being picked up.

:popcorn:

Dragonrider
01-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I've said/thought all along that the F3 is the RS/GS replacement. I don't see it as a competitor with either the ST or RT. The ST line offers crotch rocket riders a good option, and the St LTD is a decent sport touring platform. The RT is solidly the touring platform, and the F3 offers nothing to compete with any of these - it's just a cruiser.

If you want to tour on your Vrod, be my guest. If your want a stable Goldwing or K16, then the RTs your choice.

The F3 offers zero passenger comfort, no options for long distance riding, no storage, adjustable windshields, and no weather protection.

I've taken a test ride, and personally would not consider owning one. So, for those like me (read: everyone I know), the F3 is no competition for my dollars. Nor will it ever be.

robmorg
01-27-2015, 02:38 PM
I've said/thought all along that the F3 is the RS/GS replacement. I don't see it as a competitor with either the ST or RT. The ST line offers crotch rocket riders a good option, and the St LTD is a decent sport touring platform. The RT is solidly the touring platform, and the F3 offers nothing to compete with any of these - it's just a cruiser. Dragonrider,

I agree with you about the RT. The RT will continue to outsell the other models, and with the 2014/2015 changes, it has reached its maturing point for a few years to come, IMO. You can't beat it for what it does.

BUT, my opinion is very different from yours with respect to both the ST and the F3. The F3 is MUCH more than "just a cruiser". It's got adjustable foot pegs to offer a comfortable ride and a riding appeal to a wide range of potential customers. It's got a light weight tubular frame and the new 1330 engine, which is what gives it so much "muscle". With the gas tank being moved forward and lower on the frame, it's got a low center of gravity, which is what makes it perform so well in the turns. It's got the open access to the engine which resolves the heat problem. In short, it is the answer to almost ALL of Can Am's problems with the rest of the model line (beyond the new RT). That's why I predict that it will replace the RS entirely, and why the ST will pick up many of its features.

The ST cannot stay the same. BRP has got to resolve the heat problem on all models and the ST suffers almost as much from those issues as the RT did. I speculate that BRP will replace the ST with a model that offers much of the same appeal that the ST now has, but it will have many of the F3 features, including the tubular frame, the lower center of gravity, the adjustable foot positions, and the 1330 engine. But, like the current ST, it will also offer saddlebag storage, a better windshield, and more comfort for the passenger. Whether they call this "new model" an ST, an F3, or something else, I believe it is the natural progression for the ST.

SpyderRx
01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Didn't mean to offend, could have omitted first sentence. My apology.
No offense taken.

Dragonrider
01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Can't deny the thought process - perhaps the ST will have new panels, or a more open look like the F3, to allow better air flow. It's a problem with V-twins (just ask Harley), and I suspect BRP would like a bit more milage out of their 990 investment (beyond SxS & ATVs). That said, if you ride a F3 in the weather, you will get cold and wet - something I really do not miss from my cruiser days.

While the F3 shouldn't have any heat issues, and does have the 1330/6, it still has no draw for those that ride 2 up, in bad weather areas, or ride long distances.

Perhaps the latter will change when the aftermarket catches up to the F3, and, of course, weather doesn't matter in the SW.

PMK
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Myself, I would be of the opinion that the RT will outsell the F3.

Like others we get attention almost at every stop. Supermarket, restaurant, ice cream etc. The primary interest is not with younger riders, but rather those wanting to ride, but fear a tip over or similar issue.

The Spyder cruiser may fill a niche between the young sport bike rider and the touring group, but I suspect the two wheeled cruiser will be the choice over a three wheeled version for most people.

Obviously there are special instances, maybe for a female rider, or the previous cruiser rider that wants the security of three wheels.

Maybe they hit a homerun, but I think it's in the minor league.

I hope to see and maybe test ride one soon, but my opinion holds as someone else stated, it looks like a lawnmower.

PK

robmorg
01-27-2015, 09:52 PM
I hope to see and maybe test ride one soon, but my opinion holds as someone else stated, it looks like a lawnmower.

PK

That was Dan P. (SPYD3R) who said that the F3 looked like his John Deere riding mower. Then he took a test drive on one, and immediately pulled out his wallet and bought one on the spot!!! Maybe you'll do the same, PK. ;)

PMK
01-27-2015, 10:53 PM
That was Dan P. (SPYD3R) who said that the F3 looked like his John Deere riding mower. Then he took a test drive on one, and immediately pulled out his wallet and bought one on the spot!!! Maybe you'll do the same, PK. ;)

Pretty certain the wife will have her way, and seeing as she can fall asleep during a ride on the RTs an F3 would be a tough sell.

As for me...I would prefer two wheels, like an R1 or that FZ-09 seems pretty sweet.

Worked in the dealership and never had a love for cruisers. Holds to this day. Even then it was mainly touring bikes and sport bikes that sold and came back for options.

Crusiers find homes no doubt, but it won't be in mine.

PK

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Dragonrider,

I agree with you about the RT. The RT will continue to outsell the other models, and with the 2014/2015 changes, it has reached its maturing point for a few years to come, IMO. You can't beat it for what it does.

BUT, my opinion is very different from yours with respect to both the ST and the F3. The F3 is MUCH more than "just a cruiser". It's got adjustable foot pegs to offer a comfortable ride and a riding appeal to a wide range of potential customers. It's got a light weight tubular frame and the new 1330 engine, which is what gives it so much "muscle". With the gas tank being moved forward and lower on the frame, it's got a low center of gravity, which is what makes it perform so well in the turns. It's got the open access to the engine which resolves the heat problem. In short, it is the answer to almost ALL of Can Am's problems with the rest of the model line (beyond the new RT). That's why I predict that it will replace the RS entirely, and why the ST will pick up many of its features.

The ST cannot stay the same. BRP has got to resolve the heat problem on all models and the ST suffers almost as much from those issues as the RT did. I speculate that BRP will replace the ST with a model that offers much of the same appeal that the ST now has, but it will have many of the F3 features, including the tubular frame, the lower center of gravity, the adjustable foot positions, and the 1330 engine. But, like the current ST, it will also offer saddlebag storage, a better windshield, and more comfort for the passenger. Whether they call this "new model" an ST, an F3, or something else, I believe it is the natural progression for the ST.
:dontknow:...Wow rob, I hadn't heard about the 1330 engine having HEAT ISSUES that needed to have body panels removed ........Anyone else out there aware of this ?????.....Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

Dragonrider
01-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Sorry Mike - he was talking about the 990s. ;) MCN had a nice writeup about the Slingshot and F3. They liked both. Perhaps if BRP removed ALL the tupperware, they would like it even better??

robmorg
01-28-2015, 01:09 AM
:dontknow:...Wow rob, I hadn't heard about the 1330 engine having HEAT ISSUES that needed to have body panels removed ........Anyone else out there aware of this ?????.....Mike :thumbup::thumbup:Mike, not sure how you got that from what I said. At least that's not what I intended to say. ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Mike, not sure how you got that from what I said. At least that's not what I intended to say. ;).............In the the Post from you that I QUOTED.......you were talking about the ...F- 3...( which has the 1330 engine ) you cont'd. with and since it doesn't have the PANELS........ that solves the " HEAT PROBLEM " !!!!.................I thought you were linking the 1330 with the " HEAT PROBLEM " ( In my.... NOT humble ....opinion ) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............Mike :thumbup:

wyliec
01-28-2015, 01:08 PM
.............In the the Post from you that I QUOTED.......you were talking about the ...F- 3...( which has the 1330 engine ) you cont'd. with and since it doesn't have the PANELS........ that solves the " HEAT PROBLEM " !!!!.................I thought you were linking the 1330 with the " HEAT PROBLEM " ( In my.... NOT humble ....opinion ) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:............Mike :thumbup:

Mike,

I agree. But, I didn't say anything before, because the year is young, and I don't want to agree with you too much.:roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Mike,

I agree. But, I didn't say anything before, because the year is young, and I don't want to agree with you too much.:roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:......So far I think I have kept to my New Year's resolution ..................of being a kinder ,gentler soul :yes: :shemademe_smilie: .....Mike :thumbup:

StanProff
01-28-2015, 07:54 PM
I might as well weigh in on this subject. I don't chime in much but I like this discussion.
At this time in my life I enjoy the touring aspect of cycling. I have in my garage two old touring bikes that I just can't get rid of, and a couple of cruisers that I still enjoy riding from time to time (one of my keepers is a beautiful red Honda Magna that runs awesome) an older sport bike being a Honda CX turbo that runs like crazy but you gotta be crazy to run it that way. Then there's the Triumph America that is the coolest looking thing and that gets me to the the Spyder. Oh! forgot I have the little CB100 that is over 40 years old and still runs. Some things you just can't get rid of.
The Spyder for me is a blast! It gets 99% of my attention. It is the 2nd RT I've owned and I love it. I think the 1330 SE6 is going to be hard to beat. With all of this being said the F3 is dog gone wicked in looks and performance. It is going to have a great place in the market for those who love the cruiser style. I really would like to see another RS pure sport model with at least the 1330 perhaps a turbo version ( BRP has a side by side 4 wheeler ATV turbo V twin with 120 H.P.) and use the same rear sprocket as the F3. Now this would be awesome! They could even build one with the turbo V twin using the dual radiators and such as the F 3. Wouldn't 120 hp or so with that gearing be great! I hope they don''t do away with the RS.
WoW , that's more than I 've typed in a long time. :shocked:

kep-up
01-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Hey there BRP*******

Please keep the RS.
Just make it a bit sportier. Stiffen the front end a bit (heavier stabilizer bar?) and put in a bigger motor.. at least 125 HP.

Do that and I'll probably buy another one.

Never did like the "cruiser" riding style. I like my feet under my arse, my torso forward, and my hands lower than my shoulders.

So ther you have it. A Spyder RS!

Yazz
01-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Think more RTs are going to get sold this year for one reason. There are people out there who got burned (pun) on the new '13 STs and RTs. They are waiting for the beta testers to fix the kinks on the new F3s. Next year will probably have better sales for the F3. Feet forward is the lure for many bikers...

I'm surprised how many of y'all feel that you have to have a RT to tour. Not so. If you rig your F3 right, without buying BRP's overpriced undersized hard bags, you can go far and wide. I ordered the F3 because of the feet forward and the fuel milage. Won't need to stop in every town along the way this year. May stop to stretch, but a full tank won't be so critical.

There's something for everyone in the world, let's celebrate our different ryding styles, not tear each other down.

Spyder ri
01-28-2015, 08:55 PM
A family member of mine has an RT. I have an RS with floorboards. I was surprised to see that I am more comfortable on my RS than his RT. Now, he does not have floorboards and I am 6'2". I could not find the leg room.

Just an observation. I'll keep my RS..

LV2RYDE
01-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Dragonrider,

BUT, my opinion is very different from yours with respect to both the ST and the F3. The F3 is MUCH more than "just a cruiser". It's got adjustable foot pegs to offer a comfortable ride and a riding appeal to a wide range of potential customers. It's got a light weight tubular frame and the new 1330 engine, which is what gives it so much "muscle". With the gas tank being moved forward and lower on the frame, it's got a low center of gravity, which is what makes it perform so well in the turns. It's got the open access to the engine which resolves the heat problem. In short, it is the answer to almost ALL of Can Am's problems with the rest of the model line (beyond the new RT). That's why I predict that it will replace the RS entirely, and why the ST will pick up many of its features. .
I believe that is fair to say about F3. One lady had 500 miles over 2 days ride of F3. Her comments: better on long rides for legs and hips. Easier handling with no tension or stress on your shoulders, on turns and curves ( no struggle or efforts).
let us wait for more feedback. Other comment: shifting gears up and down easier and faster.

LV2RYDE
01-28-2015, 09:09 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:......So far I think I have kept to my New Year's resolution ..................of being a kinder ,gentler soul :yes: :shemademe_smilie: .....Mike :thumbup:
Mike,
we all know, " she made you do it" innocent man...

LV2RYDE
01-28-2015, 09:16 PM
There's something for everyone in the world, let's celebrate our different ryding styles, not tear each other down.
Well said..:bowdown::bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Think more RTs are going to get sold this year for one reason. There are people out there who got burned (pun) on the new '13 STs and RTs. They are waiting for the beta testers to fix the kinks on the new F3s. Next year will probably have better sales for the F3. Feet forward is the lure for many bikers...

I'm surprised how many of y'all feel that you have to have a RT to tour. Not so. If you rig your F3 right, without buying BRP's overpriced undersized hard bags, you can go far and wide. I ordered the F3 because of the feet forward and the fuel milage. Won't need to stop in every town along the way this year. May stop to stretch, but a full tank won't be so critical.

OMG....as I live and breath....I didn't see this coming ...I think you are going to be one Happy Lady...............see you at the Track girl :thumbup: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :2excited:..........Mike :firstplace:

Dragonrider
01-29-2015, 01:52 AM
I have a neighbor who fell in love with my RT, and decided he wanted to get an F3. He visited a dealer with F3s in stock, and went through his "wish list". Final price was $31,700. He happily rode home on a new 2014 RT Ltd, which we got for under $24K cash (no tax here).

He also said that none of the 2015 RTs the dealer had were under $29K, most were more.... lotta cash for a toy....

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2015, 10:00 AM
I have a neighbor who fell in love with my RT, and decided he wanted to get an F3. He visited a dealer with F3s in stock, and went through his "wish list". Final price was $31,700. He happily rode home on a new 2014 RT Ltd, which we got for under $24K cash (no tax here).

He also said that none of the 2015 RTs the dealer had were under $29K, most were more.... lotta cash for a toy....
:agree:.....I'm sure I will have an F- 3, but I'll guarantee you this right now, it will be new , it will have the semi-auto trans, it will be a 2015, annnnnnnnnnnd I won't pay more than $ 17,000....................Stay tuned :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:....................... ...Mike :thumbup:

wyliec
01-29-2015, 10:45 AM
:agree:.....I'm sure I will have an F- 3, but I'll guarantee you this right now, it will be new , it will have the semi-auto trans, it will be a 2015, annnnnnnnnnnd I won't pay more than $ 17,000....................Stay tuned :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:....................... ...Mike :thumbup:
Mike,

Give us a hint. Is it thru a dealer?

Dragonrider
01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
He'll wait until October, like I did for my RT....

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Mike,

Give us a hint. Is it thru a dealer?
Yesssssssssss,........I can't think of a way to get a NEW one some other way.................................and to Dragonrider , believe it or not , great deals can be had in June & July :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:.....................Mike :thumbup:

Tom in NM
02-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I agree that good deals are down the road, they always are. But, for me, that final biological clock is ticking down and now was the time to buy. No regrets, totally worth it.

So far, the F3 feels very mature, nothing like a beta test model. I am sure it will see improvements and mod's, but I have not seen one thing that doesn't feel totally high performance. Actually, it is strange to see something so new and fresh, feel so competent.

I am not a Cruiser/Hotrod kind of person - at all. But, I do put lots more miles on my Chevy SSR than my Jeep. For me, it is all about performance. I can already tell the F3 is going to give them both a run for the miles this year.

Tom

daveinva
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
All the (known and assumed) demographics of Spyder owners strongly suggest that the RT will continue to be the biggest seller. BRP may advertise like mad to the younger crowd-- love those catalog models, guys!-- but let's be honest: the Spyder market skews older than any other bike manufacturer. The F3 is obviously a (great) attempt at appealing to a more age-diverse crowd, but you're still faced with the challenge of getting people who would otherwise never look at two wheels to look at three.

The RT is right in the wheelhouse of the older two-wheel riders who want the safety, confidence, and comfort of three wheels but don't want to give up long-distance touring. That's BRP's bread and butter.

Dragonrider
02-01-2015, 02:58 PM
I wonder about that - In the Southwest, a bike or Spyder can be a daily driver - all year long. Given the benefits of the Spyder in stop & go traffic, decent milage, and fun factor, I'll wager the F3 will bring in customers down there. Here in the great Northwet, or other places in the country, where it actually rains more than three days a year, probably not so much....

flaggerphil
02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Anything is possible.

The one thing that holds me back from the F3 right now is it's lack of storage.