PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control issues

blacklightning
01-25-2015, 08:29 PM
I have a 2014 Rt. When I first got it, the cruise control didn't work. After about a week, it worked perfectly, and I never had any problems. Now, let's step ahead 4 months. I took my spyder in for it's 3k mile service. Everything seemed to have gone well, but I noticed today that the cruise is not working again. I will be taking it back to my dealer to have him look it over, but I was wondering if it could have something to be with it being hooked up to the computer, and if it could start back working in a week or so. Has anyone else had this problem?

PMK
01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Ours had issue. I did some searching here. Cleaned tbe brake switch and has been fine since.

PK

ARtraveler
01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Ours had issue. I did some searching here. Cleaned tbe brake switch and has been fine since.

PK

Good advice. Crud on the brake switch causes it to stay open just enough that a message is sent to the cruise control that the brakes are on. Hence, no cruise control.

A lot of crud and you will go into limp mode because the computer thinks you are riding the brake.

blacklightning
01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Good advice. Crud on the brake switch causes it to stay open just enough that a message is sent to the cruise control that the brakes are on. Hence, no cruise control.

A lot of crud and you will go into limp mode because the computer thinks you are riding the brake.
I will check that, but I would not have expected it when it only had 6 miles upon delivery. It just seemed odd that it only happened just after the 2 times that it was placed on the computer. I also need to mention that I washed it just before this happened also. I was careful not to put too much water around the sensitive areas, and I have washed it about 2 times before, without this happening.

Marker
01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
I had some electrical issues with my 2010 and it seem to relate back to the relays coming loose and a bad fuse. The fuse still appeared to be not tripped but after replacing (20AMP) fuse I had no electrical issues anymore.
When I looked at it under magnifying glass it was tripped but not completely tripped it was still making a connection.

I would push all relays back in and look at fuse for cruise control system and do as other members have stated.

cuznjohn
01-26-2015, 11:42 AM
on my 13 rt i had the same problem and it turned out to be the break switch would stick, but i have not had the problem on my 14 rt

ARtraveler
01-26-2015, 02:13 PM
I will check that, but I would not have expected it when it only had 6 miles upon delivery. It just seemed odd that it only happened just after the 2 times that it was placed on the computer. I also need to mention that I washed it just before this happened also. I was careful not to put too much water around the sensitive areas, and I have washed it about 2 times before, without this happening.

Based on the above, it is sounding like deeper electronic issues and a trip to the dealer. The crud thing is an easy fix. Sorry to hear issues cropping up early.

Keep us in the loop and let us know how you get it solved.

Spyder2012
01-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I had reported a delay in the kill switch on my 2012 Spyder R/TS to the dealer where it was purchased shortly after purchasing it on December 12, 2012. I demonstrated to the tech the delay in stopping the engine when the switch was moved to off. I was told this was normal. In early December 2014, with just over 14,000 miles and as the end of the warranty was approaching, I found the kill switch no longer stopped the engine. I took it to another dealer, and it was determined the switch was bad.
They ordered the part, and replaced it. On the trip home about 40 miles, on a cold, cloudy day, with a light mist, the cruise control switched to off! I rode several miles, and it did this again, so I turned around, and headed back to the dealer, however, it started to work properly again, so I turned around again and came home. I rode two or three times after that, and it worked great. About three weeks later, on another trip to that dealer to have a defective frunk latch replaced, the cruise would not switch to "ON" at all. The dealer checked it out while I was there, and determined the new switch module, which has kill switch, cruise control and emergency flashers on it was indeed defective.
Since it is now out of warranty, Can Am will not replace the defective new switch, nor will they even warranty the new switch, saying there is no warranty on parts replaced under warranty. What a crock of mess. The cost of replacing this new, defective switch is over $500.00. The dealer doing the repairs has made every effort to push this through, but BRP Can Am says no.
To add to the mess, I was sold an extended warranty, through National Auto Service at the time of purchase of the Spyder, and they will not replace the controls, saying this is Can Am's problem and that Can Am should replace the controls.
What a run around. I am seriously disappointed in Can Am. If they would at least supply a new control, I would pay the labor to install it.
I have opened a case with Can Am, but they are not responding. In fact, I was told up front by them when filing the case that the warranty department's decision was final.
Seriously questioning my purchase at this point. Wishing I had kept my Honda/Motor Trike right now. Service on a Honda is simple, and not all this BS. Parts are available, and Honda techs are everywhere.
Anyone else with such issues with BRP Can Am?