PDA

View Full Version : Can I disconnec the head lights without causings issues with my CanBus System?

bluestratos
01-25-2015, 05:41 PM
If anyone was following my thread about the HID issues I was having you will know that they started to strobe, then blink out and stay out. Does anyone know if the CanBus needs to have headlight bulbs hooked up? If not, I can still use the HID's if I power the relays off of the accessory fuse panel I installed. When the bike starts the panel will send power to the relays, when turned off then the headlights will go out. Pretty much the same as stock by no delay after stopping.

Thanks

cuznjohn
01-25-2015, 06:41 PM
i would think you would need to put some kind of load on the lighting circuit so that the nanny doesn't think you have bulbs out

tobor9
01-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't know about an RT,but on my RS both headlights have burned out(I have LED angle eyes around them) and I have not had any trouble with nanny,so try it.

SpyderAnn01
01-26-2015, 12:43 AM
I've currently got one headlight burned out and my Spyder could care less.

billybovine
01-26-2015, 10:01 AM
I really don't understand what the CANBUS has to do with the headlights. I have looked at the wiring diagrams for the 2013 models and the 2014 should be similar. The only CANBUS device involved is the ECM and it triggers the hi and low beam relays to energize when the engine starts. It is possible the ECM could complain if the relays are pulled.:dontknow:

bluestratos
01-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Where in the system does it allow the delay of the headlights when you turn off the engine? I have traced the wiring as well and I did not see any direct connection from the CanBus but assumed it controlled the delay.

billybovine
01-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Where in the system does it allow the delay of the headlights when you turn off the engine? I have traced the wiring as well and I did not see any direct connection from the CanBus but assumed it controlled the delay.

It's the ECM that does that. If you follow the ground side side of the low and high relays, they merge and then connect to the ECM. When the engine starts the ECM provides ground for the circuit. When the engine is shut off it delays disconnecting the ground.

bluestratos
01-26-2015, 10:43 AM
That is what I thought, not having bulbs in the system should not be affected by this then I would guess.

It's the ECM that does that. If you follow the ground side side of the low and high relays, they merge and then connect to the ECM. When the engine starts the ECM provides ground for the circuit. When the engine is shut off it delays disconnecting the ground.

billybovine
01-26-2015, 10:52 AM
That is what I thought, not having bulbs in the system should not be affected by this then I would guess.

There are no devices in the current path to the bulbs that can measure the current drawn so I would assume that disconnecting the bulbs would have no effect.

cptjam
01-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Won't hurt

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Why not connect the HID relay coil to the existing headlight circuit and run the power to the HIDs directly from the battery or your accessory panel, if it's powered all the time, through the relay? That way your HIDs would turn on and off just like the regular headlights do. The reason the headlights are set up to not come until the motor is running, and why the load shedding relay exists, is to minimize the battery load while cranking the engine.

bluestratos
01-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Not sure I understand but the existing relay for the HIDs is triggered by the stock head light circuit, since both lights strobe even though they are complete independent systems (each HID has its own fuse, relay, ballast and not sure what the last box is for, lol, I suspect the problem lies in the stock head light circuit since that is the only thing that is common. First thing I will try next is to power the HIDS straight from the battery and keep the headlight trigger in place, the next will be to then remove the head light circuit and use my accessory fuse panel. My accessory fuse panel only comes on when the bike is started.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-27-2015, 11:29 PM
I suspect the problem lies in the stock head light circuit since that is the only thing that is common. First thing I will try next is to power the HIDS straight from the battery and keep the headlight trigger in place, the next will be to then remove the head light circuit and use my accessory fuse panel.
In your other thread you say that with the original headlight bulbs in place the lights work normally. That would indicate that the factory system is functioning correctly. Essentially what that means then is the HID relays impact the system in some fashion that the OEM bulbs don't. What that would be is the $64k question.

Do you have a copy of the diagram how the HID relays are connected, or can you point me to such a diagram? Looking at the wiring diagram for the 2013 RT I don't see any way the HID relays would affect the operation of the headlight relays. Do you still have the HIDs connected? Just for giggles pull out relay R5 out of the RFB. You should still have low beams but not high beams. Then put it back in and pull out R1. You should still have low beams but not high. Then put R1 in and pull R2 out. You should have high beams but not low. Do the lights still flicker and go out in each of these scenarios?

Where does the power to the HID ballasts come from, the headlight circuits or directly from the battery? If the ballast current is coming from the headlight circuit maybe the relay contacts are getting hot causing them to start arcing and go out. But they should cool off and close again, so I'm skeptical that's happening.

If you could give me an accurate diagram how the HID relays and ballasts are wired in I might be able to give you a better idea what's going on.

The CAN Bus diagram doesn't show any connection to the headlight circuit. The reason the other lights such as tail lights and turn signals impact the CAN Bus is because they are fed from the cluster which is part of the CAN Bus system. The headlights are fed from the main power buses.