PDA

View Full Version : Gerbings hook up?

GreenDragon
01-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Does any one have info on how/where to mount plugs for Gerbings heated clothing on an RT? I have done a search on the "how to" boards and come up blank.
Thanks

Pandy
01-24-2015, 07:38 AM
I wired ours to the bolt under the seat meant for jump starting (I guess) The ground was hooked to a frame contact bolt nearby. Ran the wires for me (pylot) forward around the fuel cap and anchored to a screw under the glovebox.Co-Pylots plug was brought out the left side through a gap between the seat and the frame. Used a cloth velcro tie to the left handgrip and all was done. There remains enough slack so in summer both plugs are tucked under the seat to prevent undue weathering.
Warmly,Patrick

viperryder
01-24-2015, 09:03 AM
I have done this to both my 2011 and 2014 models. On the 2014 model I ran wires from the battery all the back to the seat. I have one for my wives heated vest and one to charge the battery. Did not have to remove any Tupperware to do this. Takes maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours in good weather. Good luck

memphisdan
01-24-2015, 09:20 AM
On my 2010 rt I ran power leads to the battery, the controller is under the sear, the actual control knob and light is in the horizontal black panel to the left of the handle bars. The Jack is in the left Tupperware hooked by Jack to the system, this lets me take the Tupperware off easily. Heated clothes are great and worth the money and efforts.

Chupaca
01-24-2015, 10:42 AM
if your mounting them on panels or pigtailing. The easiest is pigtails stored under the seat when not in use. The best is wired direct to the battery with the inline fuse provided. The older models with the battery in the back are a breeze a bit more involved if the battery is in front. You can run wires to the power outlet in the trunk but have to drill holes to get to the front. Other choices will be posted for you I'm sure...:thumbup:

IGETAROUND
01-24-2015, 01:56 PM
The best is wired direct to the battery with the inline fuse provided. :thumbup:

Chupaca, my battery tender junior came with a 7.5 volt (amp) inline fuse on the ring battery connection. My question is is this heavy enough fuse to allow 90watt jacket, 15 watt gloves AND provide power to run MP-3's and GPS's??? If you can't tell I'm electrically challenged:yikes: Any light you or anyone else can shed on this will be most appreciated. :bowdown::bowdown:

Dgdecker
01-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Chupaca, my battery tender junior came with a 7.5 volt (amp) inline fuse on the ring battery connection. My question is is this heavy enough fuse to allow 90watt jacket, 15 watt gloves AND provide power to run MP-3's and GPS's??? If you can't tell I'm electrically challenged:yikes: Any light you or anyone else can shed on this will be most appreciated. :bowdown::bowdown:

To figure wattage, multiply amps x volts (12 for Spyder). So 7.5 amp fuse x 12 volts = 90 watts (just what your jacket consumes). You can increase amperage of the fuse - BUT you must not exceed the capacity of the wire providing power or you risk overheating the wiring which can cause fires and short circuits. You can Google wire gauge capacities.

Chupaca
01-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I run with the fuse provided with the liners. We have two liners and gloves one single control and one dual control. I have two lines with fuses on each. We don't use them much here but do...if I'm not mistaken they came with 25amp fuses...:dontknow:

GreenDragon
03-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks to all!
It looks like the easiest and best way is to run from the battery to under the seat. We already have the clothing, dual controllers and extended cables. So now all I need to do is figure out how to get from the battery to under the seat.