PDA

View Full Version : More bad news for Slingshot

Rockwall
01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
See the link to this article about Slingshot recall. Not good at all for Polaris.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/polaris-slingshot-gets-stop-sale-stop-riding-recall-153017949.html

Motorcycledave
01-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Well, this is old news and fixable... the slingshot is only one of many products
they make you can be sure they will correct the troubles listed..

Gray Ghost
01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
This is the third thread on that topic:

1. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76605-Slingshot-Stop-Sale-Stop-Ride-Notice&highlight=slingshot+stop+sale

2. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76673-Polaris-Recalls&highlight=slingshot+stop+sale

Bob Denman
01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
The problem areas have been identified, and Polaris is responding...

So far; so good! :thumbup:

Chupaca
01-22-2015, 12:45 PM
:agree: those were the problems identified originally and are being taken care of. I'm sure they are looking at all areas more closely and testing further...:thumbup:

MMMII
01-22-2015, 12:53 PM
This is the third thread on that topic:

1. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76605-Slingshot-Stop-Sale-Stop-Ride-Notice&highlight=slingshot+stop+sale

2. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76673-Polaris-Recalls&highlight=slingshot+stop+sale

1st.. :roflblack::roflblack:

latony007
01-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Steering bearings breaking down and making you crash and the fact the roll bars are not up to specs if you do seems like something they should have caught before release. I am sure they will make it good but not very confidence inspiring. makes you wonder what else they have missed. has anyone driven one of these things?

Bob Denman
01-22-2015, 01:56 PM
:shocked: What's driving this thread: Happiness over the trials and tribulations of another? :dontknow:

mxz600
01-22-2015, 02:31 PM
:shocked: What's driving this thread: Happiness over the trials and tribulations of another? :dontknow:

:agree:

People are always eager to throw a little mud.

I have to say it bothered me a bit when people outside our Spyder community would throw mud on our party, just because BRP hit a few speed bumps along the way. I was there at the beginning, went through all the recalls and bulletins, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Polaris having a couple of issues with the Slingshot would not make me feel better about my early problems with the Spyder. Polaris and BRP and two top notch companies IMHO.

On a side note I will say, the only thing I have against Polaris is this. Every time I would get run off the trail by a reckless snowmobiler they always seemed to be riding a red Polaris!:dontknow:

Bob Denman
01-22-2015, 02:42 PM
:shocked: Wait a minute...

I owned a Red Polaris... :D

Ben Burped
01-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I really just don't know what to say or do about a motorcycle that isn't perfect the first year. I'm still trying to understand the 2013 nightmare. How professional engineers could take a well made product, not perfect, but still a very well made product and do what they did in 2013 is much more pertinent to this site. My dealer has a long row of 2013s with sale prices on all of them. Hopefully they will be bought by newbies before they discover this site and the site can help them through the process.

ARtraveler
01-22-2015, 03:15 PM
:agree: The article has been posted in a thread here more than once.

There are many interested in the Polaris Slingshot on this site. A few have even moved over to the dark side and purchased them. Some to go along with their :ani29: and some to replace their :spyder2:.

I, for one, don't mind hearing about current news.

It is good to see that the problem(s) have been addressed quickly. Also good to see that all is out in the open. Any new machine is going to have some start up glitches. We know that well here.

I like new and innovative. I bought a first year 2008 GS, a Premier Edition 2010 #474 RT-S, and a new 2014 RTS ACE 1330. I knew there was a risk involved, but have had no issues or problems with either of my three "startup" machines.

I mentioned in a previous thread: If I were in the market for a Slingshot, I would let them get the current issues solved, and would jump in anyway.

Let's see how this works out and let them get the problem solved. :thumbup:

latony007
01-22-2015, 03:45 PM
I dont think anyone is bashing Polaris just stating the current news. I am sure they will get it worked out and yes new models always have issues. Steering falling apart is a little unusual but other than that seems about every other car gets recalled for somethign now a days.

BajaRon
01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm just hoping no one is taking any joy in these issues with the Slingshot.

Polaris is a quality company, just like BRP. They will get the problems ironed out and then the Slingshot will stand, or fall on its merits. Just like the Spyder.

There is tremendous pressure on companies today. Finances, marketing, engineering, time schedules and deadlines. Prototypes are good but then production components by suppliers isn't always what it is supposed to be. Checking every aspect of every product coming off the assembly line is possible, if you don't mind adding a grand to the price tag.

Sure it would be nice if every vehicle were perfect from the first one. But realistically, it is never going to happen. It's what the company does when things go wrong that really makes the difference. And how that is engineered forward into the next production run.

I have been called a "FanBoy" for BRP. In truth, I am a fan of success wherever it can be found.

This too will pass. But we should always be cheering for success and wishing them the best.

Netminder
01-22-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm just hoping no one is taking any joy in these issues with the Slingshot.

Polaris is a quality company, just like BRP. They will get the problems ironed out and then the Slingshot will stand, or fall on its merits. Just like the Spyder.

There is tremendous pressure on companies today. Finances, marketing, engineering, time schedules and deadlines. Prototypes are good but then production components by suppliers isn't always what it is supposed to be. Checking every aspect of every product coming off the assembly line is possible, if you don't mind adding a grand to the price tag.

Sure it would be nice if every vehicle were perfect from the first one. But realistically, it is never going to happen. It's what the company does when things go wrong that really makes the difference. And how that is engineered forward into the next production run.

I have been called a "FanBoy" for BRP. In truth, I am a fan of success wherever it can be found.

This too will pass. But we should always be cheering for success and wishing them the best.
:agree:Well said Ron!:thumbup:

Rockwall
01-22-2015, 07:18 PM
I didn't start this thread to bash Polaris in any way. I think that the Victory and Indian lines are refreshing and great looking rides. It was only to bring information to a forum of interested people. In my opinion, the Slingshot is not in anyway related to Motorcycling and is more of a unique toy. Hopefully they will soon get the start up problems worked out for those that spend good money on them.

Cal777
01-22-2015, 07:42 PM
I received a call today saying that the parts should be in early next week to repair the problems. Also, Polaris is supplying a $200 towing allowance. I don't see how even the most fault finding complainer can find fault with this solution. Some people just want to find fault with BRP and Polaris. Why can't we all just enjoy things that are supposed to bring us pleasure?

mxz600
01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I didn't start this thread to bash Polaris in any way. I think that the Victory and Indian lines are refreshing and great looking rides. It was only to bring information to a forum of interested people. In my opinion, the Slingshot is not in anyway related to Motorcycling and is more of a unique toy. Hopefully they will soon get the start up problems worked out for those that spend good money on them.

:thumbup: