PDA

View Full Version : You may have noticed.....

Dragonrider
01-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Perhaps a bit long winded, but some history first:

ATVs and UTVs are toys for most folks – not counting the farmers/ranchers (as I used to be), who require them for daily tools – replacing a lot of tractor usage. They take up valuable shop space, and are probably used under 15 days a year, for most.

I have been an active ATV enthusiast almost as long as I have been a motorcycle enthusiast. I started riding them in 1972, before Honda introduced its first 90 – with the 5/10/30hp Dune Cycles. When Honda introduced the 90, we had one. Then there were the 125, 185, 185S, 200, 250R – all trikes. With the Feds stepping in to determine that we weren’t smart enough to be safe with our toys (perhaps some truth to that, with what I’ve seen over the years), there were the 250R, CanAm 650, Banshee, Raptor, Pilots, Ranchers, Grizzlies, Wolverines, Rhinos, and lately the 700XX (with a few VW Dune Buggies tossed in here & there).

Comparing today’s US$, I should expect to pay $3,360 for my ATC125s, or $8,123 for my 1989 Pilots in today’s market (pretty close to the asking price for a used Pilot these days). All below the typical $10K threshold of pain. In fact, the 2008 700XX was used less than 50 hrs, and was picked up for $3,200 – with inflation, that was only $2,880 in 2008 dollars.

I still subscribe to the UTV and ATV magazines, like I still subscribe to the better motorcycle magazines – my latest UTV magazine arrived yesterday. Low and behold, CanAm’s latest and greatest Maverick carries a sticker of $22,700!! More than the cost of a new F3, and over $4,000 more than I paid for my RT. I was stunned – but perhaps this is perspective – or not – your thoughts?

Is it really the cost of all the new stuff – power steering, FI, Turbos, etc., or is it the value of our dollar?????? Based on inflation, our dollar today is worth less, taking $5.67 to buy $1.00 of 1976 goods. Using that as a guide, my 1972 T120 Bonneville was $1995 out the door, or $11,312 in 2014 dollars, and a 2015 Bonneville actually carries a $8,100 MSRP – or a $1,490 1972 price tag. Given that the new Bonnie is heads and shoulders superior to the 1972 version (it really is) – the new bike is a much better value than the older bike. So where’s the cost basis for the new toys? What is making a new RT WORTH $30,000? Or a new UTV WORTH $23K – well over $30K with farkles????

The industry is lamenting the poor market – is there any wonder? Perhaps it’s just my age showing… but it sure keeps my checkbook out of the showroom these days.

jerpinoy
01-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Your amazing to keep this issues at hands.

DLewis
01-21-2015, 12:20 PM
<<The industry is lamenting the poor market – is there any wonder? Perhaps it’s just my age showing… but it sure keeps my checkbook out of the showroom these days.>>

Wages haven't kept up with inflation...... thus the industries that make other than necessity items tend to make those items for the "well to do" folk. Hopefully Can Am won't follow this trend and keep me from enjoying a Spyder. but who knows what the future holds........:shocked:

Dragonrider
01-21-2015, 12:30 PM
I agree, but it does keep me looking for value - like purchasing my 2014 RT at the end of the season, and a $4,000 discount from MSRP, or looking at used vs new toys.

At least the Spyder can be a "daily driver" in some parts of the country (not here), or at least in some seasons of the year - but the ATV/UTVs not so - unless you live in Idaho or Montana, where they are road legal, and probably need one for your ranch anyway...

Orange Spyder Man
01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Motorcycles, Spyders, Boats are all just what your labeled them... "TOYS" .. since the folks that makes these toys figure people have enough money to buy these "so called TOYS' .. not a necessity of life...... they are going to stick their hand into your pocket as far as they possible can ..
is there any other explanation needed ??? kinda covers it doesn't it ?

osm

Bob Denman
01-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Toys...
Well; what's your point?? :dontknow:

101071 2004 Grizzly 660
"686ed", with a 102mm 10:1 JE Piston, and a Raptor Cam
26' ITP ATR tires
Clutch kit
Custom-Built front Bumper
Full aluminum armor underneath

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-21-2015, 04:22 PM
but the ATV/UTVs not so - unless you live in Idaho or Montana, where they are road legal, and probably need one for your ranch anyway...
In Idaho not quite. ATVs and UTVs may not be ridden on state highways or Federal highways. They can be ridden on county roads and roads outside of cities, and on city streets if the city has explicitly approved it. You still must have a driver's license or if not old enough for a driver's license but over 12 a certificate from an approved ATV rider training course. Under 12 no on-road driving permitted.

Jim's_Spyder
01-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Many years ago there was a family who had a 10-12 year old son riding on a two lane highway near my house. He bumped rear tires with the other boy that was riding along side him. The boy was turned 90 degrees hitting a metal guardrail, he bounced off going back across and then was hit broadside by a pickup truck moving at highway speed. It killed the first boy and hurt the other boy really bad.
The family is doing fine because they sued the ATV company and got a lot of money. They needed the money because they were so stupid they let their child ride on the highway on a ATV without any supervision.
My neighbor was riding his Yamaha YZ500 on the city street near were we lived outside town. He took off as fast as he could and hit a lady as she pulled out in front of him. I'm sure the way he rode she looked and didn't see him coming when she looked. When he took off I'm sure he was riding it as fast as he could. He sued and used the money to buy a new S-15 pickup a really nice Harley and a brand spanking new KTM 450.
I'm pretty sure that is one of the big reasons dirt bikes and ATV's cost as much as they do.

Art Mann
01-21-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't think the law suits would have played out exactly the same way where I live.

Bfromla
01-23-2015, 02:36 AM
http://youtu.be/LbokEY26uXw. If link dont work look @quadski!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk