PDA

View Full Version : Installing RT bars on a ST Limited

bscrive
01-20-2015, 08:45 AM
I purchased a set of RT handlebars from a memeber here on Spyderlovers and when the weather gets a little better I am going to see if they will fit my wife's STL. I have looked over the parts drawings and the upper stearing column is the same as the RT so I believe that they will fit. I may only need to cut some cable ties to extend the wires.
If the bars fit and there are no issues then I will take the plunge and get a set of Tri Axis bars and put them on. I will make sure to take pictures of the install. I would do it now but her bike is in storage and is a pain in the butt to get at right now.

Brian

billybovine
01-20-2015, 09:52 AM
I would be interested in how this works out so keep us posted.

Bill and Cretia
01-20-2015, 12:05 PM
There are several of us with ST-S's that are interested in this project.

bscrive
01-20-2015, 01:07 PM
I figured that from some of the posts I have read over the last couple of years. My wife is only 5'4" and she finds that her back hurts her after a long ride and we got her a Utopia backrest that I have still to put on. But, I also find that she seems to be reaching for the bars instead of the bars coming back for her. At first I figured that just the RT bars would work best for her because thay have a longer reach. The she told me that when she turns the bars she really has to reach out with the one hand. I then saw some posts about the Tri Axis bars and how some of the women said how much they helped them and I figured that they could work on the ST. I did hear of one guy who put them on a ST but I couldn't find anything written up about it. I got the RT bars for $50. So, if for some reason they don't work then I am not out much money, only my time. I have good confidence that they will. It also gives me something to do these days.

coz
01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
I figured that from some of the posts I have read over the last couple of years. My wife is only 5'4" and she finds that her back hurts her after a long ride and we got her a Utopia backrest that I have still to put on. But, I also find that she seems to be reaching for the bars instead of the bars coming back for her. At first I figured that just the RT bars would work best for her because thay have a longer reach. The she told me that when she turns the bars she really has to reach out with the one hand. I then saw some posts about the Tri Axis bars and how some of the women said how much they helped them and I figured that they could work on the ST. I did hear of one guy who put them on a ST but I couldn't find anything written up about it. I got the RT bars for $50. So, if for some reason they don't work then I am not out much money, only my time. I have good confidence that they will. It also gives me something to do these days.
I'm also interested in your project, even though I have no dog in the fight. I'm surprised the aftermarket didn't come up with anything. It is the perfect solution though, and will look totally natural on the bike. I've never heard of it being done before. Good luck with it.:thumbup:

Marker
01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
A person in our riding group installed RT bars on a ST. It took her husband about 8hours to install.
She finds that it has helped as she has shoulder problems. The reach is not as far

bscrive
01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
A person in our riding group installed RT bars on a ST. It took her husband about 8hours to install.
She finds that it has helped as she has shoulder problems. The reach is not as far

That's good to know Marker. That is what I am hoping for as well for my wife.

bscrive
01-25-2015, 06:47 PM
I put on the bars today and it went pretty good. They took me about 6 hours to do. I did spend about an hour messing with the GPS trying to see what I needed to do to remove them from the bars. The wiring harness goes through the middle of the bars and I had to remove the side panel to disconnect the harness from the back of the bike. The RT bars bring the grips back about 2" and raises the grips about 1". The plastic collar below the bars was a pain in the butt to put back on and I had to widen the holes in the plastic collar for the bolts to fit in the bars. I did have to remove all the upper and lower panels in the front but I didn't have to remove the console.

Here is a picture with the bars on. I didn't put the panels back on because I have driving lights and LED under lighting and still to do. I also still have a Utopia backrest to put on as well.

My next project is to find a good deal on some Tri Axis bars and put them on.

Ben Burped
01-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Congratulations on your project. This was not an easy install.

Spidergirl
01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
I like the new bars on my bike. The controls are much easier to reach. My hubby is awesome!!!:yes::yes:

JayBros
01-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Bravo Zulu!

coz
01-26-2015, 05:20 PM
I put on the bars today and it went pretty good. They took me about 6 hours to do. I did spend about an hour messing with the GPS trying to see what I needed to do to remove them from the bars. The wiring harness goes through the middle of the bars and I had to remove the side panel to disconnect the harness from the back of the bike. The RT bars bring the grips back about 2" and raises the grips about 1". The plastic collar below the bars was a pain in the butt to put back on and I had to widen the holes in the plastic collar for the bolts to fit in the bars. I did have to remove all the upper and lower panels in the front but I didn't have to remove the console.

Here is a picture with the bars on. I didn't put the panels back on because I have driving lights and LED under lighting and still to do. I also still have a Utopia backrest to put on as well.

My next project is to find a good deal on some Tri Axis bars and put them on. now we know that it can be done. Nice.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
:congrats: :clap::firstplace:

tip
01-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Nice job!! She looks very comfortable with the new bars.
Details of the swap would be an interesting read!!

Marker
01-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Great Job! My friend had the same problems as you did with your install but he managed

cptjam
01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Super job! No reason to be uncomfortable. The hands, feet and seat position is huge to make for a comfortable ride. Looking at the picture, she seems to be sitting upright, and posture is great. That is a position she can stay in for hours. Perfect!
Nice job. The aside to this, is all of the folks with Tri-Axis bars have stock bars from their RT laying around. Post them up in the classifieds, and help the ST folks ride more comfortably! Just a thought.

Alwaysonwheels
08-20-2015, 08:05 PM
I put them on my 2014 ST-S and what a difference in the comfort of the ride, no pain across the shoulders.

Took one long evening a beer or two. Vocabulary was tested as well.

In the end would do it again in a heartbeat! Would look real hard at the the Tri Axis however.

JonYiong
01-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Hi guys, I intend to do that too.

For those that have done the swop:

1) Do I just replace my ST Limited Center, RH Rear and LH Rear steering cover with RT Center, RH Rear and LH Rear steering cover?

2) Is it a directly replace of the covers and swoping of handle controls or I need to remove other parts of the bike.

I saw a video of a RT change to Tri Axis handlebar on YouTube seems very complicated.

Please advice, thanks in advance...Cheers