PDA

View Full Version : Install time

hognut
01-19-2015, 06:40 PM
I have ron's sway bar and was going to try and have the dealer install it for me. What is a reasonable amount of time to install? They quoited me 4-5 hours minimum. From the posts I have found on the forum I thought it would be about half that. Has anyone had their dealer install and what was the price range? Thank you for any information.

cuznjohn
01-19-2015, 06:42 PM
my dealer installed it for free when my bike cam in, but he also told me it took them 3 hrs to do it

hognut
01-19-2015, 06:53 PM
my dealer installed it for free when my bike cam in, but he also told me it took them 3 hrs to do it

Thank you for the information. This was my first Spyder so didn't know what to ask for when I bought it :sour:. I haven't met any spyder owners in person yet so am kind of learning as I go.

MisterP
01-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Central FL Powersports charged me 1.5 hours of labor to put on the sway bar when I got a laser alignment. Only thing I missed was getting the aluminum links, which are recommended for the stiffer sway bar. I am adding them myself.

Four to five hours seems excessive, but perhaps they don't have much experience doing it. I don't agree that you should be paying for their training. Check with other dealers that are a reasonable distance from you, if you have any.

Cruzr Joe
01-19-2015, 07:10 PM
1.5 hours is plenty long enough to install the sway bar and links.

Cruzr Joe

Highwayman2013
01-19-2015, 07:12 PM
It's not that hard to change it yourself.

Flospyrida
01-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I installed one myself taking my time with it from start to finish only 1.5 hrs

Chupaca
01-19-2015, 07:42 PM
on how they go about it. 1.5 hr's is plenty but shops may claim more depending on the shop rate for changing the sway bar. :thumbup:

GunDoctor
01-19-2015, 07:48 PM
I'd say 1.5 hours is a good start. This included getting the front tire Car ramps on the RSS. I have seen pictures of far too much stuff being taken off to do this. I just loosened the Frunk and put that 2x4 like in the video and removed the skid and I was done in an hour. Following weekend I decided to install the billet links to make sure I had no issues. That didn't require any removal of anything, just pulled the bolts and put the new ones in. 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Burped
01-19-2015, 08:00 PM
I have ron's sway bar and was going to try and have the dealer install it for me. What is a reasonable amount of time to install? They quoited me 4-5 hours minimum. From the posts I have found on the forum I thought it would be about half that. Has anyone had their dealer install and what was the price range? Thank you for any information.

This was your dealers way of saying "don't bring something that you bought somewhere else in here for me to install and possibly have to warranty". 4-5 hours was their way of saying "take a hike". Sorry to be the one to tell you.

MisterP
01-19-2015, 08:08 PM
I'd say 1.5 hours is a good start. This included getting the front tire Car ramps on the RSS. I have seen pictures of far too much stuff being taken off to do this. I just loosened the Frunk and put that 2x4 like in the video and removed the skid and I was done in an hour. Following weekend I decided to install the billet links to make sure I had no issues. That didn't require any removal of anything, just pulled the bolts and put the new ones in. 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding (from this forum) is that RTs have to be about 2 feet off the ground for adequate clearance to replace the sway bar. That's why I had the dealer do it. It may not be difficult, but if you don't have the capability it's a moot point.

Roadster Renovations
01-19-2015, 08:15 PM
That's what I thought, too! Putting Ron's sway bar and the links took about 1 hour on the lift for my '14RTS.

This was your dealers way of saying "don't bring something that you bought somewhere else in here for me to install and possibly have to warranty". 4-5 hours was their way of saying "take a hike". Sorry to be the one to tell you.

GreenDragon
01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Is the sway bar on the "14 that poor that it needs replacing? Seems on this model, that should be a rock solid item.:dontknow:

MisterP
01-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Is the sway bar on the "14 that poor that it needs replacing? Seems on this model, that should be a rock solid item.:dontknow:

Adequate is a better word. My 14 was twitchy on the road when I bought it, it tended to wander around in a lane, and going through turns was an exercise in constantly adjusting the turn radius.

The new bar took care of that. I don't have to worry as much about the wandering. It also moves less in truck wakes or vortices from vehicles passing in the other direction.

I did it since I had the opportunity for the dealer to get it done. I am glad I did. The stock bar may be fine for many, but the numbers of forum members who have changed it and gave it positive reviews swayed me.

Gray Ghost
01-19-2015, 09:44 PM
They are probably quoting taking off the frunk. The swaybar was the first thing I ever did on my Spyder, don't remember the exact time but it definitely wasn't 4-5 hours.

JayBros
01-19-2015, 09:51 PM
My dealer took 1.5 hours to do the job as part of the OTD price, labor rate was discounted also.

BajaRon
01-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Your dealer probably has never done a sway bar swap before. 1.5 hours labor is fair. Anything over 1.5 hours is too much.

The problem is that the BRP manual says you have to remove the Frunk to change the sway bar. Not true, not necessary and adds a lot of unnecessary time and effort to the job. Some dealers will listen to reason, other will quote the manual like it is the Holy Grail.

Someone who knows what they are doing can do this job easily in 1.5 hours. Especially with a lift. If they are really good at it, it will take them well under 1 hour.

If you can talk your dealer out of pulling the Tupperware and use the instructions that come with the bar they should be able to do it in 1.5 hours.

After-all, they are Highly Trained Professionals... Right!?

Good Luck!

Dragonrider
01-20-2015, 12:09 AM
If I had a proper lift, and was a bit more limber, 1.5 hrs would be reasonable. However, I don't, and am not, so it was more like three hours.

cptjam
01-20-2015, 01:53 AM
Try. Or, bring it here. I can do it in 1.5 hours! Everybody needs a trip to sunny Las Vegas!

viperryder
01-20-2015, 08:09 AM

I have a 2014 RT-S and did the install myself. Also, did a friend of mine as well. It took me about 1.5 hours, total time, to change the first time. Second time much shorter. Also put one on my ole 2011 as well. Try it yourself, not hard, just follow instructions. Have fun:yes::yes:

C_Boogie
01-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Ron includes great directions, I installed new links and the sway bar myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hognut
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the information. I bought the roll bar with the intention of installing it myself, but am having a problem with getting the 20-24 inches clearance and my getting up off the floor :). I am planning on getting the laser alignment at the Redwoods Run so may bring it with me and see if I can get it installed then. Again that you all for the information.

jimnsusie
01-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Can't wait to get my bar installed. As soon as I get the height figured out and some warmer weather as mine will be done outside. Pretty sure I can do it with the good directions that came with it. Probably take me at least 2-3 hours

rollingstone
01-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Pre 2014 models were/are much easier to install than the 2014s. About 1/2 an hour vs about one and a half hours.

PW2013STL
01-20-2015, 09:12 PM
The hard part was getting the hight to remove the stock bar and install Ron's bar.

What I ending up doing was using my Sears red lift that has a hight of 18 1/2 inches at max lift and lifting the Spyder high enough to put my car ramps under the front tires. I then lowered the lift to it's lowest point. I then stacked two 2x10x18" wood pieces onto the lift so that they rested along the frame and raised the lift to it's Max hight. This gave me 21 1/2" and was just high enough to do it.

If I was to do another one I would pick up a 4x4 piece as that would provide 22" and make it easier to do

wengerda
01-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Past weekend I had Coleman in Woodbridge, VA and they charged me for the Bajaron Sway Bar and links 2 hours.

I am very happy with the results.

LEEB
01-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Past weekend I had Coleman in Woodbridge, VA and they charged me for the Bajaron Sway Bar and links 2 hours.

I am very happy with the results.

So, for the parts and labor what was the total costs installed?

robmorg
01-21-2015, 07:07 PM
My dealer took 1.5 hours to do the job as part of the OTD price, labor rate was discounted also.Same here. My dealer charged me $120 flat, in conjunction with other work, which is just short of 1.5 mh of shop time. That was WELL worth it to me, not to have to figure out how to raise the spyder, crawl under it, and do it myself.

LEEB
01-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Same here. My dealer charged me $120 flat, in conjunction with other work, which is just short of 1.5 mh of shop time. That was WELL worth it to me, not to have to figure out how to raise the spyder, crawl under it, and do it myself.

Rob, did your dealer supply the bar and ends or did you carry them in the door with you? What was the final total cost?

robmorg
01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
No, I got the bar and links from Ron and took them in to the dealer's shop. They charged me $120 to install them. My Spyder was already there having other work done. According to BahaRon's Vender (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets) Link, he sells the bar and the two heim joint links as a kit for $219. WELL worth it and highly recommended, if you haven't gotten one yet. It made quite a difference for me. Diminished the effect of centrifugal force in turns considerably.

The Governor
01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
VERY EASY. No need to get 2+ feet off the ground, no need to remove frunk.

Here's the video I used as a reference. I also did the links (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqlTutXsIpQ

jimnsusie
01-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Yay, finally got busy and got my ron's bar on today. I am pretty slow so won't mention how long it took me but what the heck being retired means I need something to keep me busy. So glad to have the good instructions that were available and the governors video helped as well. Now for some better weather for a ride. So glad for this forum with all the great advice and ideas. Yesterday I picked up a lift from Harbor Freight and some jack stands. So glad for them as well. As others have mentioned getting the spyder to that height was the nervous part.

Grandpot
01-26-2015, 09:57 PM
1 1/2 hours from wheels up to wheels down.

Deke
01-29-2015, 02:46 PM
I had the dealer look up the BRP estimated time for replacing a sway bar, and it was 1/2 hour. I saw it in the book myself.

I'm planning on getting the Bajaron sway bar for my 2015 RT-S Special Series, but would like to understand more about the billet links. I had the Bajaron sway bar put on my 2012 RT last year at Pitbull, and they didn't say anything to me about these links. But when I look on Lamonster's site, he includes these links with the Bajaron sway bar. So, yes to the links, or no?

Deke

wengerda
01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
So, for the parts and labor what was the total costs installed?

$180.00

stormtrooper
01-29-2015, 09:03 PM
I had the dealer look up the BRP estimated time for replacing a sway bar, and it was 1/2 hour. I saw it in the book myself.

I'm planning on getting the Bajaron sway bar for my 2015 RT-S Special Series, but would like to understand more about the billet links. I had the Bajaron sway bar put on my 2012 RT last year at Pitbull, and they didn't say anything to me about these links. But when I look on Lamonster's site, he includes these links with the Bajaron sway bar. So, yes to the links, or no?

Deke

From everything I saw about Ron's bar is if you do his bar its a must to do the links :thumbup: So yes on the links :thumbup:

Dragonrider
01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I did the bar with the billet links - really, a non issue, if done at the same time as the bar install - might add two minutes.

I used a 1500# Harbor Freight ATV lift to raise my RT, and put a HD jack stand (with pads on the top) under the bottom of each shock, then lowered the RT onto the stands. This angled the RT, making it more steady (on the rear tire w/brake on), and giving me 32" of working room.

Before I lowered it on to the stands, I removed all the required tupperware (including that bolt with the $%$#$$ star washer). Since my jack will raise the RT 34" off the floor, this was much easier on my titanium knee..

The two time consuming issues I had were: (1) the star washer, and (2) setting the two teflon bushings into the channel - the latter took the addition of much of my old Navy language to get them properly placed - in retrospect, filing a very slight bevel to one of the top edges would help a lot.

This was a job that any of us could accomplish, and the cost of the jack and stands at HF are a lot less that the quoted install prices from the dealers.

BTW, I tossed the bar, but kept the links, in case some one needs them (don't take up much space).