PDA

View Full Version : Spyder FLIR? It could happen

Cavman
01-18-2015, 11:40 PM
http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=62945

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-19-2015, 12:06 AM
http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=62945
:agree:....As MODS go this one is a little pricey...............It starts at a bare bones model for only $2500 + shipping .....not including installation!!!!!!......Mike :yikes:

M109Dreamer
01-19-2015, 12:50 AM
I dont know if it would work well on a Spyder in my area anyways. The problem with FLIR is that you need to some distance to make out objects. With being on the road trying to ride and then looking at a screen could make for a difficult situation. Also the concrete or pavement could give off a heat signature as well making other objects blurr some depending on how it will allow you to adjust the settings. I have used FLIR at work and it is nice, especially in the dark, but around the city could be hard to see objects with all the radiant heat. Now for those that live out in the country, seeing animals (deer, elk) on the side of the road while approaching could be very beneficial.

The other part would be to mount it as high as possible.

Orange Spyder Man
01-19-2015, 08:35 AM
I think it would be a somewhat distracting and affect safe driving.. watching a screen instead of the road..

osm

Cavman
01-19-2015, 08:39 AM
I was thinking for using out where there would be critters. Hadn't seen the price. Thanks for posting. That is pricy!
FLIR introduced some new stuff at the electronics convention this past week. One was you could attach to a phone or iPad
for $200.

ARtraveler
01-19-2015, 04:42 PM
The technology just keeps coming. Waiting for $49.95 or so before I will jump in though. :roflblack:

NautiBrit
01-19-2015, 08:46 PM
A FLIR unit would be ideal to locate heat sources on 2013 RT's. Could also use it to check BRP executives as they get hot around the collar when NHTSA get their hands on them.

Dan_Ashley
01-19-2015, 10:40 PM
I read the specs. It said that the unit has 24 degrees of horizontal forward vision. That means it would not detect a deer or a pedestrian unless it was xxx feet away. Hold on, I will calculate the distance in a minute.

My my question is: Is that really good enough?

the xxx is about 1,225 feet...assuming I did the math right. That means I wouldn't see a deer for over a two tentths of a mile. Is this right? Is this ok?