PDA

View Full Version : Tongue Weight Of A Trailered Spyder RT?

alanmcd
01-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey, all you Spyder riders who trailer your Spyders to destinations and events, I'm wondering what the tongue weight is of your trailers loaded up with the Spyder on it? We are considering getting a motorhome at some point and our vehicle in tow (called a "toad" in the RV community) will be our Spyder. But the tongue weight needs to be calculated into the cargo weight of the RV so need to make sure I have the cargo capacity before I drop the cash on a motorhome only to find I can't tow anything. The motorhome I am considering only has a cargo carrying capacity of 2052 pounds BEFORE calculating the weight of water, fuel, LP and passengers.

Thanks,

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH

SpyderAnn01
01-16-2015, 05:45 PM
The Spyder RT weighs around 1,000 lbs but that said the tongue weight would be determined by the size of the trailer and how you loaded it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-16-2015, 05:59 PM
I would feel fine with 75 to 100 lbs of tongue weight ........but don't guess......weigh the tongue after the trailer is fully loaded........JMHO......Mike :yikes:

duke50
01-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Hey, all you Spyder riders who trailer your Spyders to destinations and events, I'm wondering what the tongue weight is of your trailers loaded up with the Spyder on it? We are considering getting a motorhome at some point and our vehicle in tow (called a "toad" in the RV community) will be our Spyder. But the tongue weight needs to be calculated into the cargo weight of the RV so need to make sure I have the cargo capacity before I drop the cash on a motorhome only to find I can't tow anything. The motorhome I am considering only has a cargo carrying capacity of 2052 pounds BEFORE calculating the weight of water, fuel, LP and passengers.

Thanks,

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH

Take the trailer with Spyder loaded to you local weigh station lot of truck stops have em. Disconnect trailer with just tongue resting on scale or some family scales actually go up to 300 lbs that would work too.:doorag:

MouthPiece
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Excellent discussion:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?72741-RT-622-Trailer-Towing-Hints-for-a-Novice&highlight=Tongue+Weight

alanmcd
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
I just realized the spec of 2052 CCC is for a different floor plan of the RV I want which has a 16,000 lb chassis. The floor plan I want has a 18,000 lb chassis so likely has a higher CCC. :yes:

-Alan

Jester
01-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I don't believe there is a motor home made that will not comfortably tow a Spyder on a small 6x10 to 7x12 trailer. Bring the package by Riverview RV Park in Vidalia, La across the Mississippi from Natchez so we can properly evaluate it for you :-)
:welcome:

retread
01-17-2015, 07:03 AM
The tongue weight would depend on where the Spyder was sitting in relation to the trailer's axle. To get it it the same place every time, you would need chocks of some sort. Load the Spyder, disconnect from the tow vehicle with a scale under the tongue, SLOWLY roll the Spyder to where the tongue weight is where you want it, and install chocks to that location. Under stand that with the trailer unhooked, if you roll the Spyder too far back, it could get embarassing. I'd put something under the rear corners to keep it from dumping.

john

WackyDan
01-17-2015, 11:29 AM
The tongue weight would depend on where the Spyder was sitting in relation to the trailer's axle. To get it it the same place every time, you would need chocks of some sort. Load the Spyder, disconnect from the tow vehicle with a scale under the tongue, SLOWLY roll the Spyder to where the tongue weight is where you want it, and install chocks to that location. Under stand that with the trailer unhooked, if you roll the Spyder too far back, it could get embarassing. I'd put something under the rear corners to keep it from dumping.

john

Bingo. It really depends on your trailer. But really, Most any RV is going to be able to tow a utility trailer (open or enclosed) with a spyder on/in it. Tongue weight is one of those highly subjective things. You should have between 10% and 20% of your gross trailer weight on the tongue. For an open utility trailer + spyder that would probably be about 150-220 pounds tongue weight depending on the location of your axle on the trailer. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

jaherbst
01-17-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks,

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH

That all depends on the trailer, dual axle or single, load forward or aft. A minimum of 10% total trailer and load weight for tongue load for safe trailering.

i.e. Spyder at 1200# and trailer at 1800# = 3000# X 10% = 300 # tongue weight.

The RV should have a Max tow weight in the owners manual. i.e. the total weight of the Spyder and the trailer combined.

Max tongue weight should also be listed (usually 5000# -10,000# hitch is the limiting factor). Always stay within these limits or you insurance will not be honored.

Jack