PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light Installation assistance

Dragonrider
01-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Anyone installed Fog lights on an 2014? Got a stellar deal on a new set - where's the plug for the switch? What do I have to remove to get the black plastic pieces out? Finally, where are the plugs for the lights? Are they the three place white connectors under the mirrors?

I have the "Green Manual", and there's nothing about tupperware removal in the darn thing, and the wiring diagram is one LARGE page, with a lot of digging required to identify wire colors or plugs - and NOTHING about location...

Bob Denman
01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Did you get the instructions with the kit? They are very thorough...

Tony8472
01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
I installed fog lights on my 2014. You basically have to take apart the frunk completely. My instructions were accurate for about the first 80% and then the very end had nothing to do with my bike and we had to figure it out for ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonrider
01-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Haven't seen the kit yet, but it's open box, so I have low expectations (like none). Do you have a PDF of the instructions?

Thanx

Orange Spyder Man
01-16-2015, 02:57 PM
my 2014 RT limited had fog lights when I bought it ...

osm

Dragonrider
01-16-2015, 03:11 PM
It's one of the missing items on the Base

blacklightning
01-16-2015, 05:56 PM
I had them installed on my 2014 RT by the dealer. They charged about $180 for installation labor. It was money well spent. I have a friend that does a lot of work on his own, but when it came to fog light installation, he decided to pay someone else to do it. When I walked back to the shop area during installation, I was amazed, and glad I had them do it. It took a total of about 3.5-4 hours, although they only charged me for 2.

AeroPilot
01-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Anyone installed Fog lights on an 2014? Got a stellar deal on a new set - where's the plug for the switch? What do I have to remove to get the black plastic pieces out? Finally, where are the plugs for the lights? Are they the three place white connectors under the mirrors?

I have the "Green Manual", and there's nothing about tupperware removal in the darn thing, and the wiring diagram is one LARGE page, with a lot of digging required to identify wire colors or plugs - and NOTHING about location...

When we put ours on the 2011 RT we had to pretty well take the frunk apart as I recall. Maybe even take it off. Just alot enough time and dont get in a hurry. We found the wiring harness plugs stuck back in under the frame below the mirrors after a little probing. I broke off one plastic mounting tab when I wasnt careful prying off one of the metal "grip" clips that held the original black inserts in place, but the others went well, and no issues since with the missing tab. They do look good and add to the appearance and hopefully to others seeing YOU!

Ben Burped
01-19-2015, 09:19 PM
When we put ours on the 2011 RT we had to pretty well take the frunk apart as I recall. Maybe even take it off. Just alot enough time and dont get in a hurry. We found the wiring harness plugs stuck back in under the frame below the mirrors after a little probing. I broke off one plastic mounting tab when I wasnt careful prying off one of the metal "grip" clips that held the original black inserts in place, but the others went well, and no issues since with the missing tab. They do look good and add to the appearance and hopefully to others seeing YOU!

Definitely, beware of the metal clips and beware even more putting them back on. I learned the hard way.

Magdave
01-19-2015, 11:53 PM
The plugs for the lights are under the 2 covers on each side at the top of the frunk. The center console blank just pry and it pops off and the plug for the switch is right there, pull it out to plug into the switch. I had to get my dealer to get me a new switch since the one that came with my kit was blue not orange. I put some orange tape over it till the replacement came in at it was a purpleish orange. You saw the video on frunk removal it took Shawn what 10 minutes? Then you have to get the nacelles out. Really simple on a pre 14 but should not be much harder on a 14. With an extra hand it should take no more than 3hrs, 4 with breaks. My 13 would have been done in 2 but I had to reposition my freeway blaster horns so it was a little over 3 hrs. Watch the video a few more times and you will have it down. :thumbup:

As far as the clips that hold the RT covers on use a scratch awl to pop them off with. I just used the bolts on the fogs and left the out side loose. It makes it a breeze to replace bulbs in the future.

Dragonrider
01-20-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm considering passing on this project - frunk removal and installation by myself (read: no helpers), and with only an ATV jack is daunting - ie: pretty sure I'd mess it up. It's not here yet, so I may post it for what I paid for it - $350 delivered. Decisions, decisions...

bscrive
01-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Don't give up Dragonrider,

Maybe there is someone here that lives close to you that could help or ask your dealer to install it. After all, it is just a little time spent and not rocket science.

Brian

Magdave
01-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Don't give up Dragonrider,

Maybe there is someone here that lives close to you that could help or ask your dealer to install it. After all, it is just a little time spent and not rocket science.

Brian

:agree: And it is a good way to get to know your Spyder

Dragonrider
01-20-2015, 04:30 PM
I've already installed the replacement windshield bracket, Ron's sway bar, wired my GPS + + + never had the frunk off - and there's a battery up there now. I'll have to think on it -

The box just arrived, so I'll pop it open and check the instructions, then decide....

Magdave
01-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I've already installed the replacement windshield bracket, Ron's sway bar, wired my GPS + + + never had the frunk off - and there's a battery up there now. I'll have to think on it -

The box just arrived, so I'll pop it open and check the instructions, then decide....

The battery is a non issue. There is one plug to unplug on the right upper side, the horn plug and the Frunk cable after you lean it back before lifting it off. Other than that it isn't that hard seriously not something I would (nor did I) pay $200+ to have done. Oh I had the Spyderpops guard to deal with too.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85048&d=1395282827 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=85047)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85047&d=1395282802 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=85046)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85049&d=1395282861 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=85048)