PDA

View Full Version : If You Ride 2-UP Most Of The Time

MikeT
01-16-2015, 03:59 AM
What options would be considered a must?
Thanks

MisterP
01-16-2015, 05:37 AM
My wife says the floorboards on our RT Ltd are a must for her comfort, so I would change any passenger pegs to floorboards.

We use gel pads on a stock seat to help with comfort. I also gave her a cup holder.

Best option for us are Sena Bluetooth intercoms. I turned off the voice activation due to wind noise. But a quick tap on the volume toggle lets us chat up to highway speeds. The volume isn't quite loud enough on the highway, but no worries otherwise.

wyliec
01-16-2015, 07:03 AM
If you go with anything but an RT, I'd say a passenger back rest.

rogerb
01-16-2015, 07:21 AM
My granddaughter requires arm rests and cup holder. She wishes she had complete radio control not just station.:dontknow:

Eagle1
01-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Hi, we have sheep skin, cup holders, Sena headset for GPS, intercom, phone and music and a back rest. I also have a set up for plugging in her cell phone in a water proof pouch.

markyodo
01-16-2015, 07:27 AM
What options would be considered a must?
Thanks
The first thing my wife requested was proper height adjustment for the passenger floorboards, 2nd was bluetooth intercom, 3rd was arm rests, 4th was a pouch for her phone and misc stuff, 5th was the cup holder. She is quite comfortable and content relaxing on the back seat, enjoying the view.
You can get the pouch and cup holder as fixtures for the armrests depending on the brand you choose.

Bob Denman
01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Armrests... :2thumbs:

MouthPiece
01-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Speaking strictly about the RT line, I'd say armrests, good front shocks, airhawk cushion, good rear shock, mirror in the trunk for her to "primp" her hair when she takes her helmet off.

Chris

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Blue tooth headset to talk to each other & volume control to turn her off

Bob Denman
01-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Passenger seat ejector system? :dontknow: :D

Copperman
01-16-2015, 08:57 AM
A second bike! nojoke

granpa in Cincy
01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Sena Bluetooth

OR

Earplugs

DEPENDING :joke:

spacetiger
01-16-2015, 09:18 AM
- sway bar upgrade
- tow hitch + trailer (if you ride 2 up to tour)

stormtrooper
01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Duct tape :thumbup: to keep her quiet while you ride :yes:

Chupaca
01-16-2015, 09:39 AM
comfort, suspension and handling. Depending on your ryding style and your passenger. Starting out your passenger should feel safe and comfy. As you get more agressive look to handling and suspension...seats, backrests, armrests, floorboards, swaybars, shocks etc. :thumbup:

mrfats
01-16-2015, 09:44 AM
If you're talking an RT you've got to have the armrests from Diamond R Accessories! They're a SpyderLover sponsor...

JCGammack
01-16-2015, 12:20 PM
For our ST Limited-Backrest, Touring Windshield.

PW2013STL
01-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Gas - Lots and lots of gas.

ARtraveler
01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
A second bike! nojoke

Bingo, Bingo! :yes::yes:

PrairieSpyder
01-16-2015, 04:09 PM
A second bike! nojoke

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Dan_Ashley
01-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Lose the intercom.

Cruzr Joe
01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Lose the intercom.

:agree:, if you have communications between you and the passenger .......................... they want to talk your ear off. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

DJFaninTN
01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
the best arm rest that match your Ultimate Seat from Revico. then toss in some Baker Air Wings and F4 Windshield. the wife unit is happy with these farkels.

metman
01-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Wireless intercom, an Ultimate seat, a 12 volt outlet, cup holder and definitely the mirror in the trunk as mentioned by MouthPiece!

Mike in KY

LEEB
01-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Wireless intercom, an Ultimate seat, a 12 volt outlet, cup holder and definitely the mirror in the trunk as mentioned by MouthPiece!

Mike in KY
Is there a particular mirror setup you have purchased? My wife would like something like that.

StanProff
01-16-2015, 09:40 PM
The main thing for my wife is the comfort items. We have an RTS (our 2nd one) there is not much you need to add in the comfort dept for the passenger. The floorboards are there and are adjustable, the backrest is already there. My wife felt she would be more comfortable with armrest and we liked the corbins so that is what I put on. That is about it. There are many many add-ons you can get but not that many "must haves" for an RT as far as comfort goes.

metman
01-16-2015, 10:16 PM
We didn't like the ones we have seen for sale, so I had a buddy in the glass business cut me one about 5 1/2" x 2 1/4". Then I glued it onto a wedge shaped piece of styrofoam and then onto the area just above the top of the trunk opening. It took a couple trys to get the wedge angle right, but she's happy, and that's all that counts!

Mike in KY

Is there a particular mirror setup you have purchased? My wife would like something like that.

mike5511
01-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Speaking strictly about the RT line, I'd say armrests, good front shocks, airhawk cushion, good rear shock, mirror in the trunk for her to "primp" her hair when she takes her helmet off.

Chris

So the shocks that come on these things are junk? (I'm a possible future owner and just trying to learn about them.)

Professor
01-17-2015, 01:45 PM
So the shocks that come on these things are junk? (I'm a possible future owner and just trying to learn about them.)
I'm ondering about that too. It seems that many RT owners change the shocks and get the BajaRon swaybar. Is riding it that much of a problem without those things? Are there RT ryders that are happy with the stock front suspension?

NovaSpyder
01-17-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm ondering about that too. It seems that many RT owners change the shocks and get the BajaRon swaybar. Is riding it that much of a problem without those things? Are there RT ryders that are happy with the stock front suspension?

Personally I don't think there is a "problem" with the stock front end. I have a 2014 RTS stock. I had a 2012 but added BajaRon's bar. Did I need it? No, but I could take the curves faster, after the bar install, though I was already taking them above posted. I probably will add the Ronbar, but not because I feel I have to.

I think it is very much a personal preference of your driving style. If you are an aggressive rider, then these mods might be for you but I would guess the majority don't change shocks, IMO.

easysuper
01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
I would say a second Bike , She took mine in for the oil change and bought her own last July and now has over 9,000 miles on it .

Professor
01-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Personally I don't think there is a "problem" with the stock front end. I have a 2014 RTS stock. I had a 2012 but added BajaRon's bar. Did I need it? No, but I could take the curves faster, after the bar install, though I was already taking them above posted. I probably will add the Ronbar, but not because I feel I have to.

I think it is very much a personal preference of your driving style. If you are an aggressive rider, then these mods might be for you but I would guess the majority don't change shocks, IMO.
Thanks Dan. That's kinda what I figured. I appreciate the feedback.

Jim

PW2013STL
01-18-2015, 04:34 AM

:agree: With Dan.
Last year we put on 16,000 miles with the stock setup and it worked just fine. Now I added the Ron Bar in the hopes that it will allow me to corner faster. I tend to be an aggressive rider and love going through curves fast. I will find out come spring :)

granpa in Cincy
01-18-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned a mudflap. They really help when you can't avoid that puddle. Stops the rooster tail up the back end and onto her jacket and helmet.

NorCalBud
01-19-2015, 07:28 PM
:agree: With Dan.
Last year we put on 16,000 miles with the stock setup and it worked just fine. Now I added the Ron Bar in the hopes that it will allow me to corner faster. I tend to be an aggressive rider and love going through curves fast. I will find out come spring :)

:agree:
I'm with these folks (for the most part anyway)....We ryde 2 up ALOT and found the Ron Bar to be an instant success!!! We both felt the difference just turning out of the driveway.
Other than that, I'd say Arm Rests are the next "must have" for your co-pilot if you're out for any length of time...I've rode back there and hated not having a place to put 'em....

rhansen309
01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
We have an RT with Baker Air Wings, a power outlet for her phone, a drink holder, and a mirror in the trunk. We have Sena headsets but - this sounds a bit strange - she likes to leave them off and listen to her music. She likes to ride on the back and enjoy the sites and sometimes falls asleep.

Ben Burped
01-19-2015, 08:19 PM
The major difference in riding two up is the second person above the center of gravity making the motorcycle lean when going through turns. Upgrade the sway bar to the Baha Ron sway bar. This will make both of you more comfortable. IMHO

mike5511
01-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Well now I know. The sway bar makes good sense and unlike those fancy floorboards (Seal), are reasonably priced.