PDA

View Full Version : Alaska 2015 Getting/Being There and Return

PrairieSpyder
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
[This thread is to discuss who all is going. It goes with this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...o-Alaska-2015] (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76520-North-to-Alaska-2015])

This thread concerns the travel to Alaska, what we do while we're there, and getting back to the lower 48.

GETTING THERE​

MurphyBrown has been putting together an itinerary from Chelan Washington starting June 29, 2015. I'll go with whatever route the group decides.

There is an option for an experienced guide for the trip. The company Motoquest leads motorcycle tours all over the world. I talked with their sales guy and also had a long conversation with one of the guides for their Alaska tour. They could do a custom tour for us, with whatever resources we want to purchase. A guide would cost $700 per day. I know that's a lot, but if we have 20 participants, that comes to $35/day each. They said they'd have a tiered pricing so the more people we have, the less the guide may cost. What does the guide buy us? By using their guide service, they'd also do all the lodging arrangements ahead of time. They know where to find lodging, fuel, food, etc. If one of our group decides to stop to get a pic, the guide can let them know if that's the best place of if there's something better down the road, so as not to have us waste a lot of time. They seem to be pretty laid back; they make sure the ones who like to get there sooner know the way and stay with the stranglers, making sure they get there at all. Apparently there's no requirement for the group to stay in a bunch; everyone rides their own ride. (Even if we don't get a guide, I like this way of operating.)

Something I learned from Motoquest that we should be aware of is that we can plan on rooms averaging $225 per night. This will be a limiting factor for where we go and how "by-ear" we can play our travel. Having certain overnight points decided ahead will give us a better chance of getting lodging for everyone if we book ahead.

I found it interesting that along the AlCan, some towns have only 1 gas station and it could take a long time for the entire group to refuel. Something Motoquest recommends is having a "fuel kitty" so everyone can refuel without stopping the pump and paying it all at once. That may be something we'd want to consider.

BEING THERE

I think everyone has a wish-list of things they want to do while in Alaska. I do. For at least part of the time we'll have AKSpyderman to show us around. (Thanks, Dwayne.) But in addition to that people may want to go off and do their thing. Start socializing with each other about what you want to do. We will probably break into sub-groups for many activities. I don't know if a time limit has been set for "being there" so go blue-sky with it.

Here's Motoquest's array of adventures if you want to do some motorcycling: http://motoquest.com/guided-motorcycle-tours-alaska/

I'm interested in a day-cruise to see a glacier and, if it's not TOO expensive, a flight to the north slope so I can say I dipped a toe into the Arctic Ocean!

GETTING HOME

I think some have expressed an interest in returning on the ferry. I've looked into that, and it may be out of my price range. So I'll probably be riding my Spyder back. Do we want to come back together? The same route? A different route? More things to be decided.

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: Glacier Tour: Recommended is to take a cruise out of Seward--(better than Whittier--IMO). There are about three different cruises available. . You will see wildlife, seals, whales, gazillions of birds, some trips provide a meal while on the cruise. About $125 per person. This is worth it.

I do not recommend the Whittier cruises because you have to pay a toll through a tunnel to get to Whitter. About $20 per Spyder. This will be encountered when people take the ferry back to Bellingham.

SpyderAnn01
01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Patty, in Las Vegas we see a lot of guided motorcycle tours that typically have a truck and trailer that goes with. Does this service have something like that? Here the trailer is for riders gear but I was thinking more of a trailer that could haul a broken down Spyder. I would be very interested in something like that.

The gas idea is a good one, Robin and I went on a 3 day group ride with 450 bikes and all of the gas stops were orchestrated. You pulled up to the pump and a filler handed you the hose then told you what you owed. After you were filled you pulled ahead and paid someone. They rounded up and everyone paid cash. Now I don't think I would want to travel with enough cash to cover all of my gas but it could be something to think about at those stops with limited services.

Steve just got pricing on the ferry and it is definitely out of my league at $3,000 for 2 people with 1 motorcycle and 1 Spyder (+ add $700 for trailer) and that is for twin bunk beds and shared bathroom facilities. 4 days.

PrairieSpyder
01-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Patty, in Las Vegas we see a lot of guided motorcycle tours that typically have a truck and trailer that goes with. Does this service have something like that? Here the trailer is for riders gear but I was thinking more of a trailer that could haul a broken down Spyder. I would be very interested in something like that.

The gas idea is a good one, Robin and I went on a 3 day group ride with 450 bikes and all of the gas stops were orchestrated. You pulled up to the pump and a filler handed you the hose then told you what you owed. After you were filled you pulled ahead and paid someone. They rounded up and everyone paid cash. Now I don't think I would want to travel with enough cash to cover all of my gas but it could be something to think about at those stops with limited services.

Steve just got pricing on the ferry and it is definitely out of my league at $3,000 for 2 people with 1 motorcycle and 1 Spyder (+ add $700 for trailer) and that is for twin bunk beds and shared bathroom facilities. 4 days.

Motoquest can provide a truck as a chase vehicle for about $1,000/day. It includes a complete set of tools, generator, compressor, and flat-bed in the event one of our vehicles needs to be hauled. The cost of a your driver would be another $700/day. We could provide our own driver/mechanic using their truck.

They're in Long Beach and Oregon. We'd have to figure out a way to get the consigned parts out there.

SpyderAnn01
01-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Motoquest can provide a truck as a chase vehicle for about $1,000/day. It includes a complete set of tools, generator, compressor, and flat-bed in the event one of our vehicles needs to be hauled. The cost of a your driver would be another $700/day. We could provide our own driver/mechanic using their truck.

They're in Long Beach and Oregon. We'd have to figure out a way to get the consigned parts out there.

Yikes, that's a lot of money. We will be bringing tools so that isn't an issue but wasn't there interest from someone in driving a chase vehicle with a trailer?

PrairieSpyder
01-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Yikes, that's a lot of money. We will be bringing tools so that isn't an issue but wasn't there interest from someone in driving a chase vehicle with a trailer?

A friend of mine thought, earlier, they might, but they've decided to do a cruise to Alaska, instead. I don't know if someone else was considering that. I hope so.

PrairieSpyder
01-15-2015, 05:41 PM
The ferries costs vary. Some rooms have 6 bunks, etc., so the costs can be divided among several people. On some of the ferries, you can camp out on the deck if you want. Some have meals, some don't. Some make more stops and some are more direct.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 05:41 PM
I edited some of the information about Glacier Cruises. Sorry.

See post #2.

Orange Spyder Man
01-15-2015, 06:48 PM
I have thought of riding a motorcycle to Alaska...

$700 a day for a guide ??? ?? ? he must be one heck of a guide.. and $1000 for a truck plus $700 for a driver... ??? ?? ? HUH !!! ... count me out !!

a group of guys/gals could hire someone in a pick up with tools, compressor and carry extra gas for a heck of a lot less .. or even one of the group's spouse or son with a truck would surely cut out a lot of expense.. JUST SAYIN !!

osm

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 07:35 PM
With all the experience from the seasoned riders contemplating the Alaska trip, I am thinking a guide is not really needed. The Milepost and the internet contain a wealth of information.

Many pros and cons about support vehicles, I will leave that to the experts.

If you decide to climb Denali, go bear, moose, or mountain goat/dall sheep hunting, white water rafting, fishing for the big ones, or wilderness camping--then, I would consider a guide.

murphybrown
01-15-2015, 11:54 PM
I have thought of riding a motorcycle to Alaska...

$700 a day for a guide ??? ?? ? he must be one heck of a guide.. and $1000 for a truck plus $700 for a driver... ??? ?? ? HUH !!! ... count me out !!

a group of guys/gals could hire someone in a pick up with tools, compressor and carry extra gas for a heck of a lot less .. or even one of the group's spouse or son with a truck would surely cut out a lot of expense.. JUST SAYIN !!

osm

Don't write joining us off....these just are things that have been researched. The only thing in "stone" is the first leg: Leaving Chelan, WA on 6/29....take a week to get to Eagle R, where AKspyderman has graciously agreed to "show us all" in that area....if you want on the group email that will keep you up on all discussions please PM me with your name and email address...:thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
01-16-2015, 01:59 PM
AKSpyderman posted in another thread:

Get a copy of the Milepost magazine. 2015 edition. Should be out in a month or two. This is an excellent source for basic information. Gas is about $1.00 or more per gallon than you are used to in the states. Canada gas is even more expensive. Hotels: $150 - $200 per night--regardless of where you are for hotels, motels. Food, expect $15.00 burgers--but you will get full. Entrees, expect $25 - $30. Ferry prices are in the Milepost.

Tent Camping: there are bears and moose. A lot of people just pull off the road and camp for the night. You will see pull offs on your trip. It does get cold at night. Plan on fall and winter camping conditions/temps for your trip. If its raining--then it can be an ordeal. If you have an enclosed camper--much better.

Dwayne, I usually figure a max of $150/day for touring expenses - lodging, fuel, food. Given what you've posted here, could you estimate a ball-park cost for the trip up there? I've heard average $225 per room. Assuming a roommate, would $300/day be too high an estimate?

I'm wondering where the ferry for the return becomes feasible!

Edit:

I just called the Alaska Marine Highway System and got a quote. Sailing from Whittier to Bellingham on July 20:
$ 1,548 16' vehicle (Spyder + trailer)
$ 572 adult fare for 1 person
$ 876 4-berth cabin, outside, full facilities (ensuite, sheets, etc.)
$ 750 4-berth cabin, inside, full facilities

Using the higher cabin rate, that would be $2,339 for 1 person with a Spyder and trailer, sharing a cabin. People riding 2-up would cost less, sharing the cost of the vehicle. This doesn't include the cost of meals.

The cost of riding 7 days would have to exceed $334 to make the ferry comparable in costs. Or the road trip would have to take longer.

Of course, taking the ferry, there would be less anxiety about possible break-downs on the road.

ARtraveler
01-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Don't write joining us off....these just are things that have been researched. The only thing in "stone" is the first leg: Leaving Chelan, WA on 6/29....take a week to get to Eagle R, where AKspyderman has graciously agreed to "show us all" in that area....if you want on the group email that will keep you up on all discussions please PM me with your name and email address...:thumbup:

Here is a "teaser" for one of the rides mentioned above.

https://scontent-1.11404.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/149392_856931967680640_6271686060985181532_n.jpg?o h=a003f0f23c53937f2185ed7fd74996f8&oe=5563153A

ARtraveler
01-16-2015, 02:59 PM
AKSpyderman posted in another thread:
Get a copy of the Milepost magazine. 2015 edition. Should be out in a month or two. This is an excellent source for basic information. Gas is about $1.00 or more per gallon than you are used to in the states. Canada gas is even more expensive. Hotels: $150 - $200 per night--regardless of where you are for hotels, motels. Food, expect $15.00 burgers--but you will get full. Entrees, expect $25 - $30. Ferry prices are in the Milepost.

Tent Camping: there are bears and moose. A lot of people just pull off the road and camp for the night. You will see pull offs on your trip. It does get cold at night. Plan on fall and winter camping conditions/temps for your trip. If its raining--then it can be an ordeal. If you have an enclosed camper--much better. END QUOTE:

Dwayne, I usually figure a max of $150/day for touring expenses - lodging, fuel, food. Given what you've posted here, could you estimate a ball-park cost for the trip up there? I've heard average $225 per room. Assuming a roommate, would $300/day be too high an estimate?

I'm wondering where the ferry for the return becomes feasible!

Edit:

I just called the Alaska Marine Highway System and got a quote. Sailing from Whittier to Bellingham on July 20:
$ 1,548 16' vehicle (Spyder + trailer)
$ 572 adult fare for 1 person
$ 876 4-berth cabin, outside, full facilities (ensuite, sheets, etc.)
$ 750 4-berth cabin, inside, full facilities

Using the higher cabin rate, that would be $2,339 for 1 person with a Spyder and trailer, sharing a cabin. People riding 2-up would cost less, sharing the cost of the vehicle. This doesn't include the cost of meals.

The cost of riding 7 days would have to exceed $334 to make the ferry comparable in costs. Or the road trip would have to take longer.

Of course, taking the ferry, there would be less anxiety about possible break-downs on the road.

I DON'T WANT TO SCARE ANYONE OFF. JUST POSTING WHAT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY ENCOUNTER

The room prices I quoted ($150-$200) are double occupancy. If you have more than two persons in a room then add $75 - $100 per person extra. If you go way out in the boonies--higher room rates can kick in--because they can stick you good.. You should be able to sleep pretty good for under $200 per night in most cases.

Gas--given 35 mpg (average between the 998 (31) and 1330 (39) and 300 mile days. If we get lucky, you may see $2.00 gas in Anchorage area. Figure $.50 to $1.00 more as you leave the area. $2.50 x 9 gal's and 300 miles daily -- about $25.00 per day for Spyder gas.

Food: Averages: Breakfast: $10.00 Lunch: Burger & Fries type $15.00 Supper: $25.00. I am a two meal per day person so most of the time $35 to $50 for me for meals.

Basic costs per day. YOUR NUMBERS MAY VARY. Room $150, Gas $25, Food $50 That's daily $225. Round that up to $250 per day and you will have a ball park number. If you are going to buy souveniers or other stuff plan ahead. None of it is as cheap as you will encounter in the lower 48. Have extra money in case you need repairs, medical stuff, or just plain want to splurge on tours or something else.

FERRY COSTS: Expensive--but saves time and anxiety. If you decide on traveling on the deck--it can get cold, rainy, and miserable some times. You will be sailing the "inside passage."

Putting this in perspective. I usually spend $500 a day (for two) when going to Las Vegas. I plan on $1000 a day (for two) when I go to Hawaii. Includes air fare and car rental.

ruthie
01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
you planning on going at the most expense time to Alaska an the mosquitoes will be out in full force. Went about 5 years ago at the first part of June. the motels had not gone to the summer rates but on the way back we stayed at the same hotels as we did going and the rates doubled. I would check to see when the summer rates begin and end. The mosquitoes was so bad heading back that we keep our helmets on whenever we stopped. But beside these, Alaska is a must trip for bikers. Hubby and I are thinking about going back this year ago. This time we don't have to be back to work.:):)

PrairieSpyder
01-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Doing a little research on northern Alaska tours:

http://www.northernalaska.com I'm interested in the Barrow, AK day tour or overnight tour. Kinda expensive, though. But when will I ever get back to try it?

A less expensive place to stay near Denali: http://www.denalihostel.com

cognaccruiser
01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
I've been watching this thread and the others about your Alaska trip with interest. Going with your group conflicts with our other travel plans but I did give it a thought a few months ago when it was first mentioned.

That being said, my wife and I have been to Alaska twice and have been up to the Yukon not far from Alaska a few additional times. Never by bike however. We have traveled most of the roads on the way there and have done a lot of the side routes. We live just north of the Washington border. Presumably you will pass right by me as Chelan is about 3 hours south. We were at murphybrowns for the Heart of Washington event. I don't know what route you have planned but I would be happy to share any information and experience that we have with your group. If I don't know the answer I will say so. Obviously akspyderman has you covered at the Alaska end of things and will steer you well. I will just say that it is well worth the trip and although it won't be cheap, anyone going won't regret going.

I will share a few of mine and my wife's observations.

I appreciate the need to have spare parts and it sounds like you are preparing for that.

I do not think you need to incur the cost of using a guide and there has to be a better way to have a support vehicle other than paying $1,000 per day.

The Milepost is very useful and I would recommend getting that. Having said that, it is easy to use in the cab of a vehicle and is designed to give info based on distances from both the beginning of the Alcan and/or from items already passed. As such, the rider and passenger won't be referring to it as you ride but rather to plan in advance for things you want to see. It is a good reference.

There was mention of limited gas stations with there being only one station in some places. You will encounter this through northern British Columbia and the Yukon and parts of Alaska. Many of the stations are not 24 hour. When it's closing time, they're gone. Remember that you will be passing through a lot more of BC and Yukon than you might be thinking before you get to Alaska. Some places that show up on maps as towns are VERY small. Don't blink!
You will be traveling during peak season. This has a few consequences. The roads up to Alaska will be quite busy which can slow things down significantly. Slow moving vehicles are not uncommon and because most of the roads that you will be traveling are one lane each way, passing can be difficult, even for a single vehicle let alone a group. 7 days to get to Eagle R in Alaska is do-able but don't count on always being able to do the speed limit. This is the time of year when road repairs get done. They have a short season.
Also, motels and hotels can be difficult to find at that time of the year, as on the way there you will pass through many places with very few to choose from and many are pretty rustic. I would give serious consideration to having the ability to camp. We never worry about wildlife when camping and we have been in some pretty remote parts of our country where that was our only option. We just don't keep anything edible in our tent and to a bear, toothpaste for example is edible, so leave it outside your tent/camper. Moose are more dangerous than a bear and that is really mostly true during the rut which is not while you are there. Getting hit by lightning or hitting something crossing the highway is more likely than an encounter with wildlife while camping.

There are some great side trips which are really worth doing. The roads to Haines and Skagway are both beautiful and if you can do them, you won't be disappointed. It's a bit out of your way, but Dawson City is great too and the Top of the World Highway beyond Dawson City is also quite amazing. The road deteriorates quite a bit on the Alaska side of the border when on the Top of the World highway.

akspyderman is right on when he warns about the frost heaves north of Destruction Bay. They go on for quite some time and will slow you down. I remember them on the Glenn Highway in Alaska too. Quite often there is little warning.

Between Destruction Bay and the Alaska border, there are many small ponds and lakes and it is not unusual to see pairs of Trumpeter Swans if you keep a look out for them.

I assume you will be on the Alcan going up and if so it is very common to see wild Buffalo on the highway and sides of the road between Ft Nelson and Watson Lake but usually closer to Watson Lake. They pretty much go where ever they want. Woodland Caribou are also frequently seen on this stretch of highway too.

You will go right by Kluane National Park main entrance in our Yukon very soon after you go through Haines Jct. If you pull in there the rangers usually have the spotting scopes set up on the resident Dahl Sheep on the mountainside across from their building.

Denali I'm sure is on your Alaska agenda. We did the park bus trip to the very end of the park road and found it very worth while. It is a long day at about 13 hours round trip on essentially school buses, but highly worth while.

Anyway, if you know your route and if I can help out with any information or if I can answer any questions, I would be happy to do that. If our Canadian dollar continues to stay below your US dollar at its current rate, you will be 15 to 20% to the good while passing through BC and Yukon. Perhaps I will be able to briefly meet with your group as you pass through my area assuming you are going that way.

Cheers,
Gary

PrairieSpyder
01-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Thank you for all that information, Gary. I'm sure MB is reading all this and taking it into account. I'd like to see Dawson City, YT, but I had read somewhere the road to it is not all paved. Or did you mean Dawson Creek, BC?

I could throw a 2-person tent into my trailer as a contingency for lodging. But then I'd have to bring sleeping bag, etc. I'll have to think about that!

Keep the tips coming!

cognaccruiser
01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Hi.

The highway to Dawson City, highway 2, from just north of Whitehorse is the one I was referring to and it is paved all the way. Road repairs can occur at any time but it has been paved for a long time.

The Taylor Highway from Tetlin Jct to Dawson City which takes you past Chicken, Alaska and over the Top of the World Highway in the Yukon is NOT paved all the way and can be pretty rough. Or at least it wasn't 2 years ago when last on it. It was a lot better than when on it previous to that. If you weren't on Spyders I would say take it. Chicken, Alaska is a really neat little place with a population of a handful of people. They have a great little bar and a gas pump and a few other buildings. Not much else going on in Chicken. The Border crossing there is tiny and very rustic. I have a picture somewhere if I can find it.

Dawson City has really kept its Gold Rush atmosphere and there is still a lot of gold mining going on in the area. It is a tourist destination but is also very real.

Assuming nothing stops us from getting to Spyderfest, we can have a chance to talk about things up there with you.

Cheers, Gary

PW2013STL
01-17-2015, 10:36 PM
I agree with Gary that the top of the world hwy from Chicken to Dawson is gravel, or at least it was in 2006 when Kathy and I road across it on my Road King. We plan on doing it again on this trip.
To me the danger on this road is from the motor homes who seem to drive in the center of the road leaving very little room to get around and it's call top of the world for a reason as there are drop offs on both sides
The thing I remember most about Chicken was the great breakfast we had there. Now I can eat a lot of pancakes, but was unable to eat a short stack (2) as they were so large and thick. They had fresh pies, cookies, and Carmel rolls on the counter that looked great. The Carmel rolls looked to be 8" x 8" x 4"

Les

PW2013STL
01-17-2015, 10:45 PM

I also will be bringing tools and I am fairly handy with them.

I do not see a need to have a chase vehicle, but then I do have AAA that provides free towing up to 100 miles. They also have a plan that will go 200 miles, but cost more. If you do get AAA make sure you have RV+ as they consider motorcycles and Spyders as RV's

Les

Explorer
01-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Do not miss Liard Hot Springs, in Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park, (Google it) on the Alaska Hwy, 3 hours north of Fort Nelson B.C. Free. Walk 1 mile on boardwalk through marsh and woodlands, to the lower pool, complete with changing building. Don't forget your suits. The pool is fantastic. There is a second pool a little further. I have never gone to it. I was told the lower pool is the best. If you do not stop for this you will really miss something.
Parks Canada does a good job of interpreting Dawson City. Hit the visitor center first. Watch free short film. Take a guided walking tour of the city. Visit Robert Service's cabin for a poetry reading. There is a lot of history around Dawson City. You could not see it all in a wk.
Good luck,
Roger
NB: Get and use the "Milepost"

markyodo
01-18-2015, 09:29 AM
The wife and I have stayed several nights at the Knik River Lodge (http://www.knikriverlodge.com/) which seems pretty close to akspyderman.
While we were there we did a air boat ride up Knik river and all day stay at the base of the Knik Glacier. It was so remote and so spectacular. We had free roam of the area for the entire day. They had this little base camp setup with lunch, hot chocolate, etc. We will never forget our stay at Knik River Lodge and our day at the glacier.

ARtraveler
01-18-2015, 10:46 PM
The wife and I have stayed several nights at the Knik River Lodge (http://www.knikriverlodge.com/) which seems pretty close to akspyderman.
While we were there we did a air boat ride up Knik river and all day stay at the base of the Knik Glacier. It was so remote and so spectacular. We had free roam of the area for the entire day. They had this little base camp setup with lunch, hot chocolate, etc. We will never forget our stay at Knik River Lodge and our day at the glacier.

About 20 miles from my home. The area is on one of my proposed scenic rides. The web site will fill in the details should anyone want to stay there.

SPYDERGUY1
01-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Years ago, wife and I made it as far as her birthplace Whitehorse Yukon, trip ended up shorter than expected due to weather and roads being washed out. Would love to go again, but this time will be on a cruise up the passage. Hope your trip is safe, eventfull, and full of memories, stay safe and ride safer.....:yes:

PrairieSpyder
01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Skagway is where the 1898 Klondike gold rush met the last gasp of the Wild West and where Alaska’s modern history began. After gold was found near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, miners disembarked on Skagway’s dock for the tough cross-country trek. Almost overnight, Skagway went from wilderness to a city of saloons and brothels. Arguments were settled with guns and the absence of sanitation caused epidemics, so the cemetery grew fast. The rush lasted less than two years, after which Skagway became an ordinary town, but with a notorious past.

Stampeders faced their greatest hardships on the Chilkoot Trail out of Dyea and the White Pass Trail out of Skagway. There were murders and suicides, disease and malnutrition, and death from hypothermia, avalanche, and, some said heartbreak. The Chilkoot was the toughest on men because pack animals could not be used easily on the steep slopes leading to the pass. Until tramways were built late in 1897 and early 1898, the stampeders had to carry everything on their backs. The White Pass Trail was the animal-killer, as anxious prospectors overloaded and beat their pack animals and forced them over the rocky terrain until they dropped. More than 3,000 animals died on this trail; many of their bones still lie at the bottom on Dead Horse Gulch.

It’s history is presented well in the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park ( http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm) which encompasses a 7-block corridor in the city.

Klondike Highway 2 connects Skagway with Whitehorse, YT, 100 miles away over the White Pass, a route with views as good as those on the excursion train which operates over the pass (http://wpyr.com/excursions/train-excursions/white-pass-summit-excursion/).

Here’s more links about things to do in Skagway:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60877-Activities-Skagway_Alaska.html

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Skagway.aspx

Grandpaspeed
01-23-2015, 01:50 PM
I live in Idaho and have been traveling on 2 wheels for more than 40 years many of my trips were on dirt roads and now due to health I have been considering a Spyder F3, however after reading all these thread's about needing a truck for break downs, do Spyder breakdown that much? I sure hope not as the Spyder was my hope of getting back in the saddle.

PrairieSpyder
01-23-2015, 02:14 PM
I live in Idaho and have been traveling on 2 wheels for more than 40 years many of my trips were on dirt roads and now due to health I have been considering a Spyder F3, however after reading all these thread's about needing a truck for break downs, do Spyder breakdown that much? I sure hope not as the Spyder was my hope of getting back in the saddle.

No they do NOT break down. But we're planning to ride from Washington to Alaska on some really remote routes with scant services - let alone finding someone who knows anything about working on Spyders. Having some parts and tools for contingencies could mean the difference between spending all your vacation in some Yukon village and rejoining the group on the way home, or getting all the way to Anchorage and enjoying as much as you can pack into the time you have there.

Grandpaspeed
01-23-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm glad to hear they don't break down and I do understand your point for the truck and wasted vacation time, it's just that I have made many trips taking weeks at a time without breakdowns and no support vehicles however I do understand it doesn't hurt anything to be prepared . I have read so many thread's about problems with Spyders that this one started to make me second guess my purchasing of one. Your trip to Alaska sounds awesome and you will enjoy the beautiful state that Alaska is and Idaho isn't bad either.

ARtraveler
01-23-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to hear they don't break down and I do understand your point for the truck and wasted vacation time, it's just that I have made many trips taking weeks at a time without breakdowns and no support vehicles however I do understand it doesn't hurt anything to be prepared . I have read so many thread's about problems with Spyders that this one started to make me second guess my purchasing of one. Your trip to Alaska sounds awesome and you will enjoy the beautiful state that Alaska is and Idaho isn't bad either.

I have over 100,000 :spyder2: miles on Alaska roads since 2008. Never had a break down or been left stranded. The North to Alaska travelers are trying to be prepared, just in case.

The :ani29: is not designed for four-wheeling or for off road adventures. Sticking to the pavement, improved (graded) gravel roads (not my cup of tea), are usually just fine. If you run into construction or really bad road, just slow down.

ARtraveler
01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Skagway is where the 1898 Klondike gold rush met the las gasp of the Will West and where Alaska’s modern history began. After gold was found near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, miners disembarked on Skagway’s dock for the tough cross-country trek. Almost overnight, Skagway went from wilderness to a city of saloons and brothels. Arguments were settled with guns and the absence of sanitation caused epidemics, so the cemetery grew fast. The rush lasted less than two years, after which Skagway became an ordinary town, but with a notorious past.

Stampeders faced their greatest hardships on the Chilkoot Trail out of Dyea and the White Pass Trail out of Skagway. There were murders and suicides, disease and malnutrition, and death from hypothermia, avalanche, and, some said heartbreak. The Chilkoot was the toughest on men because pack animals could not be used easily on the steep slopes leading to the pass. Until tramways were built late in 1897 and early 1898, the stampeders had to carry everything on their backs. The White Pass Trail was the animal-killer, as anxious prospectors overloaded and beat their pack animals and forced them over the rocky terrain until they dropped. More than 3,000 animals died on this trail; many of their bones still lie at the bottom on Dead Horse Gulch.

It’s history is presented well in the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park ( http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm) which encompasses a 7-block corridor in the city.

Klondike Highway 2 connects Skagway with Whitehorse, YT, 100 miles away over the White Pass, a route with views as good as those on the excursion train which operates over the pass (http://wpyr.com/excursions/train-excursions/white-pass-summit-excursion/).

Here’s more links about things to do in Skagway:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60877-Activities-Skagway_Alaska.html

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Skagway.aspx

Skagway is a beautiful sidebar trip if you have the extra day's time. A little over 100 miles S out of Whitehorse (by road). You will leave Canada and enter American (Alaska) soil at the bottom of the trip. Your passport will be needed to return to Canada. The trip crosses the famous White Pass that the Goldrushers had to climb by hand and pack mule. The views are stunning and the famous White Pass RR can be seen from time to time. It looks like the tracks are on a shelf on the side of the cliffs. A beautiful canyon is below. You can ride the train--if you dare:yikes:. An all day trip, about $100 per person.

Not much going on in Skagway. A couple blocks of Main Street and all filled with tourist shops and the White Pass RR station. The famous brothel has been turned into a restaurant/brothel museum. They have really good burgers. :roflblack: Spouse would not let me take the brothel tour. :roflblack:

Skagway can also be accessed if you are taking the ocean (ferry) route.

Grandpaspeed
01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
I have over 100,000 :spyder2: miles on Alaska roads since 2008. Never had a break down or been left stranded. The North to Alaska travelers are trying to be prepared, just in case.

The :ani29: is not designed for four-wheeling or for off road adventures. Sticking to the pavement, improved (graded) gravel roads (not my cup of tea), are usually just fine. If you run into construction or really bad road, just slow down.

Thank you as this makes me feel more confident in purchasing a F3. I had already ordered one back in October so now I'm excited again.

cognaccruiser
01-24-2015, 11:41 AM
I will second (or 3rd) the view that taking the side trip to Skagway is so worth while, if for nothing more than, for the scenery and the thought of the history of the route the gold seekers took. It will give you some appreciation of what they had to endure. The length of the distance the miners had to travel to get to the Dawson City area will become more apparent too. Getting to White Horse was a good distance and that was just the start of the trip. The trip from White Horse to Dawson City was in many ways even more demanding and a greater distance. Most went by boat and many died on the river. Some tried to go by land and that was even tougher.

You really should make time for the side trip. Skagway wasn't as interesting to us as the route. Skagway gets a lot of cruise ships stopping there and is somewhat touristy.

You will need your passport to get back into the US from Canada as much as the other way around.

Another side trip that I think you should make is to Haines, Alaska on highway 3 from Haines Junction, YT. Again, the scenery is outstanding especially on the stretch to Chilkat Pass. Haines is not as tourist as Skagway. Again, there is a border crossing. The road is good too but will add a day to your travels.

Gary

Dragonrider
01-24-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't think a chase vehicle is really needed - perhaps a trailer with a belt/tire(s)/flat fix, etc may be - or spread the stuff out among the various bikes.

Also, don't forget the partial ferry segments - ie: Valdez to Price Rupert - shorter and cheaper - then you come down through Prince George (or up through...)

Finally, my favorite road in the world (& I HAVE been in a LOT of places) is HWY 93 between Lake Louise and Jasper (take the tram, if you get to Jasper!!) - the photo is Jasper from the top of the Tram.

PrairieSpyder
02-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Karyl just sent this info about the lodging and excursion she's arranging for Denali.

Thanks Les and Kathy:

This trip is $52.50 plus $10.00 park entrance fee. (if I haven't got that price correct please let me know ASAP..thanks)

This is for the excursion to Denali/Mt McKinley bus excursion: They do not pick up at the Healy motel I found (all closer motels were booked). Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus. I will post motel info later..

This would be my preference forthe bus trip. Costs a bit, but should see the most and I figure once in a lifetime trip.

Kantishna Experience
Offered June 8 - mid-September

Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.

This trip lasts 11 to 12 hours, traveling the entire 92 mile road and back over the course of the day.

The Kantishna Experience includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures. The tours pick up from area hotels in the early morning and depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am. They return roughly twelve hours later, and are a unique experience in the park that you don't want to miss! Specific hotel pick-up times are available from the bus company.

Some walking is involved.

ARtraveler
02-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Karyl just sent this info about the lodging and excursion she's arranging for Denali.

Thanks Les and Kathy:

This trip is $52.50 plus $10.00 park entrance fee. (if I haven't got that price correct please let me know ASAP..thanks)

This is for the excursion to Denali/Mt McKinley bus excursion: They do not pick up at the Healy motel I found (all closer motels were booked). Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus. I will post motel info later..

This would be my preference forthe bus trip. Costs a bit, but should see the most and I figure once in a lifetime trip.

Kantishna Experience
Offered June 8 - mid-September

Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.

This trip lasts 11 to 12 hours, traveling the entire 92 mile road and back over the course of the day.

The Kantishna Experience includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures. The tours pick up from area hotels in the early morning and depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am. They return roughly twelve hours later, and are a unique experience in the park that you don't want to miss! Specific hotel pick-up times are available from the bus company.

Some walking is involved.

You folks will love the trip. The bus stops for all wildlife. Eagles, bears, ptarmigan, foxes, caribou, moose, etc. etc. There is so much that by hour 5 you may be tired of it. :roflblack::roflblack:

They have upgraded the busses, so they are a little better to ride in if you have a bad back or something like that.

You will climb several narrow passes, a couple feet between oncoming busses and those on the cliff side will get a little of a thrill. The vistas are to die for. Specially KodaChrome Pass. Sincerely hoping you get a blue sky day so you can see all. Denali "hides" about 20% of the time.

Recommend visiting "Glitter Gulch" about 5 miles North of the Denali entrance. Vegas in Alaska. :yes:

SpyderAnn01
02-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Joe and I did the Denali school bus ride in 1995 and we loved it. I think we will have to go again.

PrairieSpyder
02-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Below is a description of what some of us are doing on July 12 - July 14. If you're going North To Alaska with us and you want to visit the north slope, you should call the tour provider, Northern Alaska Tour Company, on 800-474-1986 and reserve your spot.

Arctic Ocean Adventure -- Southbound
A Three Day Guided Round Trip Journey By Air And Land To Alaska's Arctic Coast
Tour Summary:

DAY 1: Fly north from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Visit the Prudhoe Bay oil fields and begin the journey by dipping your toe in the frigid waters of the Arctic Ocean. Overnight at Prudhoe Bay.
DAY 2: Ground tour south in the personalized comfort of our tour vans along the famed Dalton Highway. Explore up close the amazing arctic tundra of the Arctic Coastal Plain and feel the veins of ice just beneath the surface. Continue across the Arctic Coastal Plain before climbing through the majestic Brooks Mountain Range and over the Continental Divide at Atigun Pass. Overnight at rustic Coldfoot. Optional Anaktuvuk Pass Adventure available on Day 2 (see end of page).
DAY 3: Visit the historic goldmining community of Wiseman. Cross over the Arctic Circle and receive an official Arctic Circle Adventure Certificate. Experience the mighty Yukon River. Marvel at the majestic beauty of the northland's most famous waterway and learn of the river's storied past. Visit the Arctic Circle Trading Post situated in the rural community of Joy, Alaska. Complete your adventure with a southbound ground tour back to Fairbanks.
Departs by air approximately 7:00 am - 9:00 am DAY 1; returns by land approximately 8:00 - 9:00 pm on DAY 3.
Tour Schedule: May 23 to September 9, 2015 on Tuesday, Friday, Sunday
2015 Summer Rate: $1139.00/person based on double occupancy. ($200 Single Supplement

PrairieSpyder
02-17-2015, 04:45 PM
I just ordered from PitBull a front tire and rim for my 2014 RTS and a tire and rim for my RT622 trailer so I'll have spares for the trip. Now I just need to get a scissor jack and a lug wrench to go with it!

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
I've tried to summarize the first part of the North to Alaska trek. This is based on the emails from MurphyBrown. This will give you an idea of where we'll go on the way there, some of the costs (which aren't as high as I feared), and some of the sight-seeing we'll do.

If you think you're interested in going, please contact Karyl (MurphyBrown).

Monday, June 29, Day 1

Chelan/Manson, WA to Clinton, BC
360 miles
Lodging at Nomad Motel in Clinton BC; 250-459-2214

Prices for our group: [rates include tax]
1 bed (up to 2 people) $50.85
2 beds $56.50
***2 Bedroom (4 people has kitchen) $84.75 This room may not be available...she will know for sure by Mid March..

Group seating for dinner at the Roadkill Grill...Michele says they have killer BBQ and she will get us a discount

Tuesday, June 30, Day 2

Clinton, BC to Burns Lake, BC
388 miles
Lodging at Sunshine Inn at Burns Lake BC; 250-692-7696

All rooms reserved on ground floor.
Provide a continental breakfast
Prices are Canadian:
2 BR Suite (2 separate people/couples can take this one...first come first serve) $129 +tax
All other rooms (a mix of 1 or 2 beds). $89 plus tax

Wednesday, July 1, Day 3

Burns Lake, BC to Iskut, BC
408 miles
Lodging at Tatooga Resort; 250-847-5885 (John is the contact dude)

I did a mix of room types....I will work with John if need to massage/change room configuration. So what is available are:

Crew Camp : Separate bedroom...bathrooms are multiple stalls (private) but in same room
Cost $50 plus tax Canadian
2 Bed Motel Room: $130.00 plus tax

Restaurant on property they also have website so you can "check" it out.

Thursday July 2, Day 4

Iskut, BC to Teslin, YT
345 miles
Lodging at Motel Nisutlin Motel; 867-390-2521

contact person Rick
please make reservation via phone..he doesn't check email very often!!
2 rooms are single Q
Rest are double Q
Price: same for both $115 plus tax Canadian
he will give us a 10% discount because he will honor my senior rate for all rooms.
email: ntp@northwestel.net

Friday, July 3, Day 5

Teslin, YT to Whitehorse, YT
110 miles
2 nights lodging at Muktuk B&B;

Rates (Canadian $):

Small guest room: 1 Bed Q bed $99 + tax
Large guest room: 1 Dbl/1 single bed $109. +
2 Bedroom Cabin: $119.00+ (read ** below)
Shilo Cabin: 4 single beds...2 in loft area/2 in BR area $169.00 +

They have breakfast and dinner

We will arrive at Whitehorse with enough time to see the local sites.

Saturday, July 4, Day 6

Optional day-trip to Skagway, AK
109 miles each way via Klondike Highway

Sunday, July 5, Day 7

Whitehorse, YT to Tok, AK
386 miles
Lodging at Young's Motel

# and contact info: Chris and her direct line is 907-883-5578 She works only Mon - Fri 8 am to 4 pm ALASKA TIME. DO NOT talk to anyone else!!!
Rooms are all 2 beds and $101 per room no tax
Restaurant next door
Email edyoung@aptalaska.net
Office Tele 907-883-5578
Office Fax 907-883-5023
Motel & Restaurant Front Desk 907-883-4411
Motel & Restaurant Front Desk Fax 907-883-4369

Monday, July 6, Day 8

Tok, AK to Eagle River, AK
303 miles
Lodging at Microtel; 907-622-6000

Includes breakfast
laundry available
1 bed $145.54 less 10% senior discount
2 bed $193.74 less 10% senior discount

Tuesday, July 7 through Thursday, July 9, Days 9-11

Area touring led by Dwayne (AKSpyderMan)
Lodging at Microtel at Eagle River, checking out morning of July 10

Friday, July 10, Day 12

Eagle River to Healy
235 miles
2 nights lodging at Totem Inn; 907-683-6500

$140 per night

Saturday, July 11, Day 13

Tour Denali National Park
Cost $175. If you have a senior citizen national park pass, bring it to show and they will refund $10
They do not pick up at the Healy motel. Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus.
Kantishna Experience: Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.
Includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures.
Depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am.
They return roughly twelve hours later
Some walking is involved
Please call and get your seat: Ask for North to Alaska group and use the reference/confirmation #3000182X1
We need to be at the Wilderness Access Center parking lot at 7:00 AM on 7/11

Sunday, July 12, Day 14
Today the group will break up with people going their own ways to make their Alaska Spyder adventure their very own. Some will do a 3-day/2-night Arctic Ocean Adventure to Prudhoe Bay or a 1-day excursion by air to Barrow to see the Arctic Ocean and native culture. There will be a cruise from either Whittier or Seward to see some glaciers and wildlife.

SpyderAnn01
02-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

I'm not sure about that, Ann. Maybe Dwayne will jump in on that.

For a glacier-viewing cruise, I think I like the Blackstone cruise from Whittier. I may take one of the days from Dwayne's excursions to do that. The cruises from Seward are more wildlife-oriented. I'll post separately about my research on glacier cruises.

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2015, 12:28 PM
I contacted Major Marine, http://www.majormarine.com (http://www.majormarine.com/), about cruises from Whittier. For Glacier viewing she recommends the Blackstone Cruise. The Surprise Cruise also includes a couple glaciers, but is more wildlife-oriented.

Both Prince William Sound cruises (Blackstone and Surprise) are $119 from Whittier right now. The Surprise cruise is normally $149, but they have an early booking special on.

They have a Cruise/Coach combo from Anchorage, and we can get 20% off if booked by the first of March (I think). They pick up at 3 locations in Anchorage, about 9am, take you to Whittier for a cruise, and return to Anchorage about 530pm. Blackstone Cruise/Coach combo is $163.25; Surprise Cruise/Coach combo is $185.75. The coach picks up in Anchorage at 3 locations: Embassy Suites (9am), Comfort Inn (915am) and Egan Center (930am).

For all these, they have an on-board buffet for $19 that includes salmon and prime rib. (Sounds good!)

Major Marine also has some Kenai Fjord cruises for $80-$200, depending on the length of the cruise. These leave from Seward. Some include a complimentary light breakfast (if an early cruise) and complimentary deli lunch. If the complimentary lunch is not provided, the $19 salmon and prime rib buffet is available.

The Major Marine cruises can also be booked through the Alaska Railroad. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Destinations/BestDayTours/PWSBlackstoneGlacierCruise/tabid/110/Default.aspx These include round-trip rail transportation and the cruise by Major Marine. There are rail classes: Adventure class, normal rail car seating with 2 on each side of the aisle; and Gold Star class, with a dome car and bar service. I got this info from the Major Marine gal because the Alaska RR office is closed for the holiday.

Kenai Fjords, http://www.kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/, cruises out of Seward only. They have a 9-hour NW Fjord Tour for $184+tax that views 5-6 glaciers. But it’s a great distance from Seward and the actual glacier/wildlife viewing amounts to only about 4 hours.

They have their National Park Tour, 6 hours, that starts at either 8am or 1130am, for $149+tax, for $163. It views only 1 glacier and wildlife, and includes a light lunch (chicken caesar wrap).

The NP Tour can be accessed by train for $257.78, departing Anchorage at 645a, 1130a cruise, returning to Anchorage at 10pm. This is adventure class. Dining car is available on the train. The Gold Star class includes breakfast and dinner for $442.

Kenai also has a cruise/lodging deal for $372.30 per person, staying at their Renfro Lodge. The normal lodge rate is $259/night.

They offer a train/cruise/lodging deal for $497/person single or $382.06/person double. The itinerary is train to Seward, 1130am NP Tour, overnight at Renfro Lodge, train return to Anchorage.

I’m thinking my preference would be the Major Marine coach/cruise combo of the Blackstone Cruise. Eagle River is about 15 miles from Anchorage tto catch the coach for the day trip to Whittier and the cruise.

ARtraveler
02-18-2015, 03:37 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=936751#post936751) Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

Originally posted by Prairie Spyder
For a glacier-viewing cruise, I think I like the Blackstone cruise from Whittier. I may take one of the days from Dwayne's excursions to do that. The cruises from Seward are more wildlife-oriented. I'll post separately about my research on glacier cruises.

I did not recommend a Glacier Cruise out of Whittier because you have to pay a toll fee to go through a tunnel to get there. I believe it is $15 or $20 per motorcycle. You get to drive down some railroad tracks, and I am not sure they are Spyder friendly.

I am including a great Seward trip day for those who choose to travel with me. All day, two great roadhouses (Lunch & Dinner) as well as a visit to a glacier that can be viewed without taking a multi hour cruise. I also promise you the Million Dollar views that all those coming to Alaska crave.

I will give the option of viewing from a distance or you can hike the mile or so trail hike to view the face of the glacier.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79710&d=1384986955 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3180&attachmentid=79709)

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2015, 03:58 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=936751#post936751) Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

Originally posted by Prairie Spyder

I did not recommend a Glacier Cruise out of Whittier because you have to pay a toll fee to go through a tunnel to get there. I believe it is $15 or $20 per motorcycle. You get to drive down some railroad tracks, and I am not sure they are Spyder friendly.

I am including a great Seward trip day for those who choose to travel with me. All day, two great roadhouses (Lunch & Dinner) as well as a visit to a glacier that can be viewed without taking a multi hour cruise. I also promise you the Million Dollar views that all those coming to Alaska crave.

I will give the option of viewing from a distance or you can hike the mile or so trail hike to view the face of the glacier.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79710&d=1384986955 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3180&attachmentid=79709)

Thanks, Dwayne.

The cruises out of Whittier can be accessed by coach from Anchorage. (See glacier cruise research post, above.) I want to see all you want to show us. I've seen mountain glaciers and in Iceland we drove out onto a glacier. But I've never seen calving glaciers from the sea.

ARtraveler
02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
I have purposely stayed out of a lot of the conversation as this is not my trip.

The plan, as I understand it, is that the group would be offered some rides within a 200 mile or so radius of Eagle River home base for the days they will be there. I was asked to come up with the rides.

I have purposely not made an itinerary as weather can sometimes play an important part. It may be raining South and not North. We will head in the "best" direction daily. My goal is to provide the best rides possible each day I get the opportunity.

We are fortunate in that we have million dollar scenery within the parameters I mentioned above. Those going beyond the area are also going to see the "good stuff."

:ani29:: For sure, I am going to do an all day ride to Seward. Two fantastic roadhouses, scenery to die for, and I will fill you in on the local lore. Seward has a plethora of great tourist shops, is a beautiful Alaskan fishing town, etc. etc. etc.

:ani29:: An additional ride is planned on the Kenai and I guarantee you will like where we are going. Another great roadhouse too!

:ani29:: Another day, we are going mountain riding. You will be able to see for miles. Another glacier to view, and did I mention, another great roadhouse.

:ani29:: Another day, we are going to visit a quaint town, a closer peek at Denali (if she is not hiding), and did I mention, another great roadhouse. Actually, you will have a couple choices.

There are four great rides for those that are interested. I gar-ron-tee all should have a great time on the rides.

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't want to miss any of that. So I'll have to schedule the glacier cruise for after our Denali tour. So much to see; so little money! :gaah:

murphybrown
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
I agree with Gary that the top of the world hwy from Chicken to Dawson is gravel, or at least it was in 2006 when Kathy and I road across it on my Road King. We plan on doing it again on this trip.
To me the danger on this road is from the motor homes who seem to drive in the center of the road leaving very little room to get around and it's call top of the world for a reason as there are drop offs on both sides
The thing I remember most about Chicken was the great breakfast we had there. Now I can eat a lot of pancakes, but was unable to eat a short stack (2) as they were so large and thick. They had fresh pies, cookies, and Carmel rolls on the counter that looked great. The Carmel rolls looked to be 8" x 8" x 4"

Les

Chicken is in permanent marker on the map!!!!!!:yes:

ARtraveler
02-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Chicken is in permanent marker on the map!!!!!!:yes:

Do you know how it got its name?

They could not spell "Ptarmidgan" --maybe I can't either? :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-19-2015, 11:37 PM
One of the couples in my GWRRA Chapter made a trip to Alaska last summer. They took 42 days total for 7900 miles and over $8000. I believe he said they only went where they could ride, no trips by air or such. They may have taken a bus tour or two.

If you have any specific questions you'd like for me to ask them, let me know. He said they were looking at writing up a short story about their trip, hopefully in the next couple of months. If they get it done and are willing to share it, I'll get a copy for you guys.

Others who have done the trip can set me straight but I'm thinking those 350+ mile days Prairiespyder is showing are going to make for some really long hard ride days. Fortunately, you'll have plenty of sunshine hours per day so maybe it'll work out OK, but be careful about how hard you plan to ride. It ain't the Midwest open highways you're going to be on!

Maybe someone here already mentioned it but you'll be contending with a lot of RV traffic on second level quality roads so you are going to find it tough to average 40 to 50 mph, if that much.

SpyderAnn01
02-20-2015, 12:00 AM
I have purposely stayed out of a lot of the conversation as this is not my trip.

The plan, as I understand it, is that the group would be offered some rides within a 200 mile or so radius of Eagle River home base for the days they will be there. I was asked to come up with the rides.

I have purposely not made an itinerary as weather can sometimes play an important part. It may be raining South and not North. We will head in the "best" direction daily. My goal is to provide the best rides possible each day I get the opportunity.

We are fortunate in that we have million dollar scenery within the parameters I mentioned above. Those going beyond the area are also going to see the "good stuff."

:ani29:: For sure, I am going to do an all day ride to Seward. Two fantastic roadhouses, scenery to die for, and I will fill you in on the local lore. Seward has a plethora of great tourist shops, is a beautiful Alaskan fishing town, etc. etc. etc.

:ani29:: An additional ride is planned on the Kenai and I guarantee you will like where we are going. Another great roadhouse too!

:ani29:: Another day, we are going mountain riding. You will be able to see for miles. Another glacier to view, and did I mention, another great roadhouse.

:ani29:: Another day, we are going to visit a quaint town, a closer peek at Denali (if she is not hiding), and did I mention, another great roadhouse. Actually, you will have a couple choices.

There are four great rides for those that are interested. I gar-ron-tee all should have a great time on the rides.

Sounds like fun, I'm in.

PrairieSpyder
02-22-2015, 05:42 PM
I met a guy in church this morning who transferred here from Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. I told him I would be riding to there this summer. He said to be sure and take bear-spray. I assured him we would not be camping or picnicking, and would be staying in hotels and eating in restaurants. He said get some anyway and have it with you on day-hikes.

ARtraveler
02-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I met a guy in church this morning who transferred here from Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. I told him I would be riding to there this summer. He said to be sure and take bear-spray. I assured him we would not be camping or picnicking, and would be staying in hotels and eating in restaurants. He said get some anyway and have it with you on day-hikes.

Recommended if you are going on any off the road trail hikes. Also a set of bear bells. That way you will not surprise a bear and cubs. That makes them mad.

And yes, it happens. Guests from MN tried a hiking trail near Homer, AK. They ran into a bear within the first 100 yards or so. Their first and last experience hiking. :roflblack:

And...if you shoot em here, you have to eat em. nojoke

PrairieSpyder
02-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Recommended if you are going on any off the road trail hikes. Also a set of bear bells. That way you will not surprise a bear and cubs. That makes them mad.

And yes, it happens. Guests from MN tried a hiking trail near Homer, AK. They ran into a bear within the first 100 yards or so. Their first and last experience hiking. :roflblack:

And...if you shoot em here, you have to eat em. nojoke

In Montana, they told me that scientists examining bear scat frequently found it contained bear bells! So the bells either warn the bears away or they announce lunch!

jimnsusie
02-22-2015, 09:40 PM
In Montana, they told me that scientists examining bear scat frequently found it contained bear bells! So the bells either warn the bears away or they announce lunch!

The bear bells sound like the deer whistles. The whistles seem to alert the deer to run somewhere as if they weren't going to anyway.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-23-2015, 12:23 AM
The bear bells sound like the deer whistles. The whistles seem to alert the deer to run somewhere as if they weren't going to anyway.
My skepticism about bells and whistles is beginning to make me think this topic is headed toward becoming a pile of scat! :)

ARtraveler
02-23-2015, 03:28 AM

A little grain of salt here maybe. :roflblack:

The purpose of the bells is to make the bear aware of your presence. Most say that is better than surprising a Sow and her cubs. Other people go through the woods chanting "Hey Bear, Hey Bear."

Me, I try to avoid them, so you wont find me rolling through the woods in my wheelchair. :roflblack:

We do run into instances of bear mauling most every year. I only know of one instance where the bear actually ate two people. One was the famous bear man (Timothy Treadwell) and his girlfriend. They were camping with the bears, and that time the magic was not working.

The full story can be googled.

I am not recommending anything here. Just passing on some information since the subject came up.

PrairieSpyder
02-23-2015, 09:14 AM

. . . . .

Yes it was told with tongue firmly in cheek! :roflblack:

jimnsusie
02-23-2015, 09:16 AM

The purpose of the bells is to make the bear aware of your presence. Most say that is better than surprising a Sow and her cubs. Other people go through the woods chanting "Hey Bear, Hey Bear."

Me, I try to avoid them, so you wont find me rolling through the woods in my wheelchair. :roflblack:

We do run into instances of bear mauling most every year. I only know of one instance where the bear actually ate two people. One was the famous bear man (Timothy Treadwell) and his girlfriend. They were camping with the bears, and that time the magic was not working.

The full story can be googled.

I am not recommending anything here. Just passing on some information since the subject came up.

I agree. The facts about the noise around bears is well documented. It can and usually will alert them to move away. Works well with black bears. I have no experience with grizzlies.

cognaccruiser
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM

And that is how you can tell the difference between Grizzly scat and Black Bear scat. Black Bear scat is full of berry seeds and grass and Grizzly scat is full of bells, whistles and pepper spray cans. LOL

I guess I'm just one of those people that believe there is lots of paranoia about bears that is over emphasized. If I'm not mistaken, in the history of Denali Park, there has only been one death attributed to a Grizzly and that was just over 2 years ago when a hiker out doing some wilderness back packing was killed. He was alone and invaded the bears space while taking pictures and got too close for too long.

Timothy Treadwell was an tragedy waiting to happen. It can happen but the odds are so slim. Much greater odds of having a vehicle accident with a bear. Going on a bit of a rant here. Sorry. Have spent a lot of time in places with wild life and just find that many people over react.
"Hey Bear" works as well as anything to let them know you are around but don't let fear ruin your enjoyment of a fantastic trip.

Gary

PrairieSpyder
02-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I heard that the way you tell a black bear from a grizzly when you are chased by a bear in the forest is to climb a tree. The black will climb up after you. The grizzly will knock the tree over!

ARtraveler
02-23-2015, 01:14 PM
From what I am hearing and seeing about the Alaska trip, you folks may see some bears, for sure in Denali National Park. You may also see an occasional one on the road. Since I have not heard anything about wilderness hiking or camping, bears and attacks should not be a concern.

When I used to camp and travel the Minnesota Canoe Country, we encountered black bears quite often. We learned to put the foodpack between two trees on a rope, didn't leave inviting snacks around for them, and to put fish remains on "seagull rock" out in the lake somewhere. The guts would be eaten within about 10 minutes of placement. Black bears will normally take off scared if you bang on pots and pans.

We did have one walk through our campsite once, and our packs (non-food) were inspected. Also, one time when one got to close for comfort, we hopped in the canoe and went for a quick paddle. I never carried side arms in the canoe country.

I have a couple local bears that roam our neighborhood (black bears), but have never been bothered or intimidated by them. Also have some neighborhood moose. There are also urban bear and moose within the city of Anchorage.

ARtraveler
02-23-2015, 01:19 PM
And that is how you can tell the difference between Grizzly scat and Black Bear scat. Black Bear scat is full of berry seeds and grass and Grizzly scat is full of bells, whistles and pepper spray cans. LOL

I guess I'm just one of those people that believe there is lots of paranoia about bears that is over emphasized. If I'm not mistaken, in the history of Denali Park, there has only been one death attributed to a Grizzly and that was just over 2 years ago when a hiker out doing some wilderness back packing was killed. He was alone and invaded the bears space while taking pictures and got too close for too long.

Timothy Treadwell was an tragedy waiting to happen. It can happen but the odds are so slim. Much greater odds of having a vehicle accident with a bear. Going on a bit of a rant here. Sorry. Have spent a lot of time in places with wild life and just find that many people over react.
"Hey Bear" works as well as anything to let them know you are around but don't let fear ruin your enjoyment of a fantastic trip.

Gary

If anyone watched Ultimate Survival Alaska last night, the bear BS and bear lore was running rampant when they were on Kodiak Island amongst the Kodiak bears. Did anyone catch the fake stuffed bears at least twice in the program? :roflblack::roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
02-23-2015, 01:33 PM
From what I am hearing and seeing about the Alaska trip, you folks may see some bears, for sure in Denali National Park. You may also see an occasional one on the road. Since I have not heard anything about wilderness hiking or camping, bears and attacks should not be a concern.

When I used to camp and travel the Minnesota Canoe Country, we encountered black bears quite often. We learned to put the foodpack between two trees on a rope, didn't leave inviting snacks around for them, and to put fish remains on "seagull rock" out in the lake somewhere. The guts would be eaten within about 10 minutes of placement. Black bears will normally take off scared if you bang on pots and pans.

We did have one walk through our campsite once, and our packs (non-food) were inspected. Also, one time when one got to close for comfort, we hopped in the canoe and went for a quick paddle. I never carried side arms in the canoe country.

I have a couple local bears that roam our neighborhood (black bears), but have never been bothered or intimidated by them. Also have some neighborhood moose. There are also urban bear and moose within the city of Anchorage.

I've been horse-packing in the Yellowstone Park back country. The guide had been to each camp site before and put a log up between the branches of 2 trees. The we'd have all the food in containers and suspended from that log. The only thing on the ground and edible was us, the horses and pack animals. But we never had any problems.

R FUN
02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
I think this bear scare in just that. I have owed a fishing and hunting lodge for 26 years and a big part of my buisiness was bear hunting and mostly bow hunting bear. Just take the precausions and bears are not looking for trouble, the big thing is do not get between the sow and her cubs or leave food around.
Also anyone thinking of bringing bear spray into Canada, please check with the border crossing first as it was always banned as a concield weapon.
Roger

cognaccruiser
02-24-2015, 10:08 AM
I heard that the way you tell a black bear from a grizzly when you are chased by a bear in the forest is to climb a tree. The black will climb up after you. The grizzly will knock the tree over!

And you don't have to be able to out run a bear as long as you can out run some body you are with.

Gary

cognaccruiser
02-24-2015, 10:17 AM
If anyone watched Ultimate Survival Alaska last night, the bear BS and bear lore was running rampant when they were on Kodiak Island amongst the Kodiak bears. Did anyone catch the fake stuffed bears at least twice in the program? :roflblack::roflblack:

I didn't see that episode. They sure do like to create drama where none exists. I enjoy these shows for the scenery but the wildlife BS is really bad. I blame these type of programs for a lot of the misinformation that gets put out. There are a couple of other shows just as bad. One called Mountain Men was terrible with misinformation about wolves, bears etc. Couldn't stand to watch it even though the scenery was fantastic.

Gary

ARtraveler
02-24-2015, 01:22 PM
I didn't see that episode. They sure do like to create drama where none exists. I enjoy these shows for the scenery but the wildlife BS is really bad. I blame these type of programs for a lot of the misinformation that gets put out. There are a couple of other shows just as bad. One called Mountain Men was terrible with misinformation about wolves, bears etc. Couldn't stand to watch it even though the scenery was fantastic.

Gary

And lately, they have not even been out in the "wilderness." A couple weeks ago they were going down a river to the ocean. The river follows a road that is less than 50 ft. from the river. A ride that I do at least twice a year on the :spyder2:. The ocean shot was Turnagain Arm, right next to the Seward Highway and full of tourists. They filmed the south side where you cannot see the road because of the tree line. The pick up area was in a wetlands right next to the Seward Highway--which was not shown of course. :lecturef_smilie:

And...don't forget the "ever popular?" Gold Rush. I hope they put that one out of its misery after this season. :yes:

PrairieSpyder
02-24-2015, 02:03 PM
And lately, they have not even been out in the "wilderness." A couple weeks ago they were going down a river to the ocean. The river follows a road that is less than 50 ft. from the river. A ride that I do at least twice a year on the :spyder2:. The ocean shot was Turnagain Arm, right next to the Seward Highway and full of tourists. They filmed the south side where you cannot see the road because of the tree line. The pick up area was in a wetlands right next to the Seward Highway--which was not shown of course. :lecturef_smilie:

And...don't forget the "ever popular?" Gold Rush. I hope they put that one out of its misery after this season. :yes:

Gold Rush isn't real???? We watch that all the time! I just think the guys from Washington are too stupid to be in public, though. And the guy with the heavy accent cusses way too much!

PrairieSpyder
03-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Yesterday I received the Yukon visitor guide and trip planner. Lot's of great info in it about things to do in places we'll be staying over and along the way!

Can't wait till summer so I can head NORTH TO ALASKA!!! :ohyea:

murphybrown
03-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Yesterday I received the Yukon visitor guide and trip planner. Lot's of great info in it about things to do in places we'll be staying over and along the way!

Can't wait till summer so I can head NORTH TO ALASKA!!! :ohyea:

Also got email notification that my Milepost 2015 is being shipped....yep getting closer and closer and closer :yes::yes:

cognaccruiser
03-12-2015, 10:43 AM
The huskies are just a few of the group we saw at Muktuc B&B. The buffalo are part of the heard south of Watson Lake and the Woodland Cariboo frequent the same area. Each time we have been this way we have seen both.
The pic of the cabin is near the border crossing between Alaska and Yukon on the Top of the World highway. Notice the population on the sign.

Gary

PrairieSpyder
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Also got email notification that my Milepost 2015 is being shipped....yep getting closer and closer and closer :yes::yes:

I did, too!! But expected deliver isn't till 3/18, with Prime 2-day shipping. Can't wait!

ARtraveler
03-12-2015, 02:25 PM
I did, too!! But expected deliver isn't till 3/18, with Prime 2-day shipping. Can't wait!

Still looking here. Not in Fred Meyers as of last Saturday. I know the Milepost will be here soon.

Look for my ad on page 132.

philblumenfeld
03-12-2015, 02:41 PM
I would be willing to go along with my Honda Pilot pulling a 5x10 ft trailer if you guys would pay my expenses, certainly not at $1000/day.

PrairieSpyder
03-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I would be willing to go along with my Honda Pilot pulling a 5x10 ft trailer if you guys would pay my expenses, certainly not at $1000/day.

You're welcome to go, but I don't think we'll need your trailer.

PrairieSpyder
03-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Still looking here. Not in Fred Meyers as of last Saturday. I know the Milepost will be here soon.

Look for my ad on page 132.

I received my 2015 Milepost today (yea! 2 days earlier than estimated)!! :ohyea:

But I can't find an add on p.132! Wassup?

PrairieSpyder
03-16-2015, 06:23 PM
An early April Fool for those that read my posts. :yes:

Got me!! :(:opps::lecturef_smilie:

ARtraveler
03-16-2015, 06:31 PM
I received my 2015 Milepost today (yea! 2 days earlier than estimated)!! :ohyea:

But I can't find an add on p.132! Wassup?

An early April Fool for those that read my posts. :yes:

PrairieSpyder
03-16-2015, 06:56 PM
How did my reply to you post end up ahead of your post?????? :hun: