PDA

View Full Version : Elio

jaherbst
01-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Checked out the new Elio at the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale AZ. Wife was in the back seat. I liked it. Plenty power and room in the front. Back does not have any extra room but doable. Standard shift and nicely appointed.

Jack

Chupaca
01-15-2015, 12:22 AM
the demos are, but when will they put them into production and deliver..?? Will they be unregisterable in TX and CT..?? You said plenty of power, so you got to test drive it..?? Well they are still waving it around....:thumbup:

lightnin leeRoy
01-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Did you order one?

Bfromla
01-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Rednecks R us we need a trailer behind just about everything on wheels:banghead: Hoping they do more legal than the slingshot so TX wont fuss.

Bob Denman
01-15-2015, 08:00 AM
:nopic: :2thumbs:

Oh! What have you bought out of Ron Pratte's collection?? :clap:

JCGammack
01-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I have been watching the Elio progress. Found out about them last year shortly after we got our roadster. I commute ~60 miles to work (yes I know I could move, but this house is paid off) and it could be just what I need. Having to put up with all four seasons here a bit of a "cage'er" looks appealing.

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
An interesting concept--the Elio. We have discussed it many times and maybe sometimes too much here. :roflblack:

If it flies, as advertised, it will have a niche market.

The latest and greatest is that production and delivery are supposed to happen this year--2015. They have been changing the date since 2010 or so.

It remains to be seen if this is a real product or a scam for the owners to get as much public money as they can.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Dan_Ashley
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
If I buy one in California and register it in California, then if I drive it to Texas, will it get impounded for being a vehicle which their law does mot recognize?

NM Wrench
01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
They just announced yesterday that the completed engine was just released! Pictures of it look killer. A 3 cylinder just like the Spyder but much better gas mileage........

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 07:49 PM
They just announced yesterday that the completed engine was just released! Pictures of it look killer. A 3 cylinder just like the Spyder but much better gas mileage........

The following quote in full from the Elio website concerning the engine.

"Troy, Mich., Jan. 14, 2015 – For entrepreneur Paul Elio, founder and CEO of Elio Motors, there are no shortcuts on the way to developing a $6,800 commuter vehicle that will get up to 84 MPG. Even if it means becoming the first start-up vehicle company to build an engine from the ground up in more than 60 years.
On Feb. 6, 2015, Elio Motors will debut the new 0.9 liter, 3-cylinder engine prototype with an official “first start” at a private event for investors, suppliers and media. The event will be held at the Plymouth, Mich., offices of IAV, a world-class engine developer which has worked with such global icons as Mercedes and BMW.
Elio Motors believes it is the first start-up vehicle manufacturer to develop its own internal combustion engine since Nash Motors in 1951." END QUOTE

I highlighted in bold and underlined the word "prototype."

There is a lot of work to go IMO. The website is also claiming 35,000 pre-orders on the books. Time to get producing.

jaherbst
01-15-2015, 08:44 PM
the demos are, but when will they put them into production and deliver..?? Will they be unregisterable in TX and CT..?? You said plenty of power, so you got to test drive it..?? Well they are still waving it around....:thumbup:

I am not supposed to say.;)

jaherbst
01-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Rednecks R us we need a trailer behind just about everything on wheels:banghead: Hoping they do more legal than the slingshot so TX wont fuss.

It is very long. Not sure I would want to pull trailer behind it. Visability would be some what limited.

jaherbst
01-15-2015, 08:55 PM
:nopic: :2thumbs:

Oh! What have you bought out of Ron Pratte's collection?? :clap:

Not as many as I would have liked. Fabulous collection. One of the best I have seen. People were paying $10.00 just for the rags some were being detailed with. He sold 4.5 million worth on Tues night, more on Sat. I know someone who bought two Boyd Coddington creations of his in a row for North of $600 thousand. He has the best of the best. Barrett Jackson said he has been working on this sale for a long time.

Jack

jaherbst
01-15-2015, 09:01 PM

They claim 80 MPG on the brochure. (only thing I did not like was the Congyack (how in the Hell do you spell that)color):joke:

Jack

Dan_Ashley
01-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Elio production delayed ANOTHER YEAR (again).http://710keel.com/paul-elio-delays-production-of-3-wheeled-elio-car-until-2016/

Bfromla
01-17-2015, 04:33 AM
It is very long. Not sure I would want to pull trailer behind it. Visability would be some what limited.

Is where all the skillz come in[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kep-up
01-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Mr. Elio seems to be having a hard time convincing investors. I wonder if Jay Leno has considered giving him some long green. Or how about Trump? Or Soros? Or Bloomberg? Or Al Gore? Or bill Gates? Seems to me that there is enough money out there if the product is viable.

Wonder how much is Mr. Elio's compensation package as CEO?

Motorcycledave
01-17-2015, 08:47 AM
I saw one at the SEMA show and got the change to test it while there
I placed an order for 2 of them on the spot. My 2 sons also ordered one
each while there...
my emails on delivory say mid. 2016

Mr. Elio seems to be having a hard time convincing investors. I wonder if Jay Leno has considered giving him some long green. Or how about Trump? Or Soros? Or Bloomberg? Or Al Gore? Or bill Gates? Seems to me that there is enough money out there if the product is viable.

Wonder how much is Mr. Elio's compensation package as CEO?

jcthorne
01-17-2015, 09:06 AM
The thing will have to be sold and registered as a motorcycle or it will not be sold. It could NEVER meet the DOT crash standards for a car in the US. It has to slip by on the reduced requirements for motorcycles to qualify. States that do not agree to it being a motorcycle will not allow it for sale. This is how the Slingshot slips through.

If this was being built by any of the majors (Ford, Chevy etc) it would have been halted long ago. If Elio gets it to production and IF production ramps up to the point of any effect whatsoever on mainstream compact cars, the majors will petition the DOT to mandate it meet automotive safety standards same as they have to meet. At that point it will die.

As long as its a small niche market and sold as a motorcycle, it can slip through. If it gets any success, it will become a victim of that success.

ARtraveler
01-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Elio production delayed ANOTHER YEAR (again).http://710keel.com/paul-elio-delays-production-of-3-wheeled-elio-car-until-2016/

Wow! Who would have guessed that. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Some of us cost accountants and our earlier statements are looking like we were right on with our predictions.

The main points from the article. He has raised $65 million. He needs another $230 million. Production moved ahead to 2016.

I think that is 6 years or so now for those now 38,000 customers who have put down deposits, large and small.

I will just caution those who cannot afford to lose their deposits. I don't think we are ever going to see the Elio. I have to give all who are sticking in there a bunch of credit.