PDA

View Full Version : Alaska 2015 Roadside Repair Plan

PrairieSpyder
01-14-2015, 03:53 PM
[This thread is to discuss who all is going. It goes with this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...o-Alaska-2015] (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76520-North-to-Alaska-2015])

Since there's not much chance of getting repairs done by dealers along the way to/from Alaska, it's been proposed to have a "chase vehicle" to accompany the group. It would carry tools and parts that may be needed by any of the Spyders. I don't have anything official yet, but one dealer has responded positively to helping us out. I can't say who it is until the plans are more firm, but it's in the central time zone.

It's understandable that they may not be able to commit an employee and/or a vehicle during what will be at least a month during the peak riding season. At least one person has indicated to MurphyBrown they'd volunteer to bring their truck as a chase vehicle. (I don't know who it is.) If more than one party wants that duty, we'd have to consider some criteria and their location. I think a big criteria would be to be able to get to the dealer providing parts bring them to the trip's starting point. They should also have a vehicle and/or trailer big enough to haul all the parts and tools we will need to take along.

Which brings us to the second part of this issue - WHAT TO BRING? Would someone who is definitely going please volunteer to lead a committee to determine which parts may be needed. There are three (four if someone rides an F3) models and several model years of Spyders. What types of parts are most vulnerable on such a trip? Which ones are mission-critical to getting there and back? We need to make some assumptions about how many Spyders will need any given part before returning to the lower 48. The leader of this effort should have some mechanical ability/experience and some Spyder technical knowledge.

So looking for 2 or more volunteers:

chase vehicle provider(s)
Parts planning
others who want to help plan for contingencies

Please PM me or MurphyBrown if you want a job.

ARtraveler
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
You have some good stuff here PS. I believe you folks have one good mechanic going along with your party already. A bonus for sure.

One of my recommendations is stick to :spyder2: friendly roads also. You are going to see all the good stuff, no matter where you go up here.

Highwayman2013
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Tires are one of the most vulnerable items. Maybe if there are spare wheels with tires mounted. The basics like oil, coolant, will anyone's bike need service? Locations of dealers would be important.

ARtraveler
01-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Tires are one of the most vulnerable items. Maybe if there are spare wheels with tires mounted. The basics like oil, coolant, will anyone's bike need service? Locations of dealers would be important.

Three dealers in AK. All within 40 miles of Anchorage. Anchorage, Eagle River (a service center, but I bought all five from them), and Wasilla. Beyond that, I am not sure what you will find on the Canadian side of the trip. I believe someone said Whitehorse, Yukon.

That said, in over 100,000 :spyder2: miles, I have not been stranded in the middle of nowhere. I keep mine serviced and checked over on a regular basis.

mrfats
01-14-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm just a person on the outside looking in but before you decide what parts and how many parts to take you need a definite number of those actually going. I remember from previous posts that several people were going to consider the trip but sooner or later you'll need a true commitment. Just my opinion... Good luck on the trip!

bmwlarry
01-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Just me thinking and wondering! I have expressed interest in this trip and had decided to do it! However, it has been brought to my attention that I am in need of a new roof to the tune of $18,000. I am probably not going to be able to pull this off because of the expenses involved. I would need to camp as much as possible - instead of hoteling it all the time. I would love to be able to hotel it though. Another concern of what my share of the follow vehicle costs would be! Gas, vehicle expenses, not to mention what the cost would be to take it on the ferry on the return. I am confused what to do!!!!!

PrairieSpyder
01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Just me thinking and wondering! I have expressed interest in this trip and had decided to do it! However, it has been brought to my attention that I am in need of a new roof to the tune of $18,000. I am probably not going to be able to pull this off because of the expenses involved. I would need to camp as much as possible - instead of hoteling it all the time. I would love to be able to hotel it though. Another concern of what my share of the follow vehicle costs would be! Gas, vehicle expenses, not to mention what the cost would be to take it on the ferry on the return. I am confused what to do!!!!!

I may be wrong, but I had assumed the follow-vehicle owner/driver would cover those costs. After all they get to go on the trip, too! I think the parts would be on consignment from a dealer and we'd be charged for what we actually have to use. The remainder would be put back into stock when the whole trip is over.

If you have a camper to pull with your Spyder, I don't know why that wouldn't be doable.

But I could see that a new roof would take precedence.

ARtraveler
01-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Get a copy of the Milepost magazine. 2015 edition. Should be out in a month or two. This is an excellent source for basic information. Gas is about $1.00 or more per gallon than you are used to in the states. Canada gas is even more expensive. Hotels: $150 - $200 per night--regardless of where you are for hotels, motels. Food, expect $15.00 burgers--but you will get full. Entrees, expect $25 - $30. Ferry prices are in the Milepost.

Tent Camping: there are bears and moose. A lot of people just pull off the road and camp for the night. You will see pull offs on your trip. It does get cold at night. Plan on fall and winter camping conditions/temps for your trip. If its raining--then it can be an ordeal. If you have an enclosed camper--much better.

bmwlarry
01-16-2015, 12:59 PM
I do have an Aspen camping trailer I have used on cross country trips. I am curious have it would trailer if the road condition is questionable!! Still - confused on what to do!!

PrairieSpyder
01-16-2015, 01:52 PM
I do have an Aspen camping trailer I have used on cross country trips. I am curious have it would trailer if the road condition is questionable!! Still - confused on what to do!!

My motto is always When in doubt, go for it!!

ARtraveler
01-16-2015, 05:59 PM

If the :spyder2: can make it where you are going, the trailer will follow. You will run into some frost heaves "whoop tee doos" on the Alcan between Destruction Bay and Tok. You just have to slow down and ride them out. I did about 30 mph average over the 100 miles or so.

If you encounter road construction where there is gravel (a possibility) it would be nice if it has not been raining. The glacial soil likes to turn into soup. You can call ahead for current road construction conditions, and it is not very often that the situation lasts for more than 20 miles at a stretch.

The roads that have been suggested are all paved (except for repairs).

PrairieSpyder
01-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Here's an idea for a chase vehicle.

It could be that someone who's going has a truck/vehicle that could hold all the parts we'd want to carry, and someone (maybe the same person) has a trailer that could carry a Spyder. But that person doesn't want chase vehicle duties and would rather ryde their Spyder.

My idea is that that person puts their Spyder on the trailer and tows it with a vehicle carrying the parts. Along the way we share chase driving duties. So no one person doesn't have to cage it all the way. New cage driver would just put their Spyder on the trailer for their turn. If a Spyder becomes disabled it would get the trailer spot.

Any volunteers?

Orange Spyder Man
01-17-2015, 11:47 AM
list of parts that comes to my mind that may be needed are : drive belt, tires, spark plugs, headlight bulbs, & of coarse engine oil

osm

PrairieSpyder
01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
list of parts that comes to my mind that may be needed are : drive belt, tires, spark plugs, headlight bulbs, & of coarse engine oil

osm

I'm thinking of a front tire, trailer tire and drive belt. I'll make sure my Spyder is tuned and ready to go before I leave. I may add a quart of oil to the list since it doesn't take up much room.

I'm trying to think if there's anything else that would need parts or else I couldn't continue with the group.

SpyderAnn01
01-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Here's an idea for a chase vehicle.

It could be that someone who's going has a truck/vehicle that could hold all the parts we'd want to carry, and someone (maybe the same person) has a trailer that could carry a Spyder. But that person doesn't want chase vehicle duties and would rather ryde their Spyder.

My idea is that that person puts their Spyder on the trailer and tows it with a vehicle carrying the parts. Along the way we share chase driving duties. So no one person doesn't have to cage it all the way. New cage driver would just put their Spyder on the trailer for their turn. If a Spyder becomes disabled it would get the trailer spot.

Any volunteers?

Patty, I have someone in mind who might be interested in doing this and they have both the truck and trailer. They are kind of on the fence about going on the trip so we will see if they like this idea.

SPYDERGUY1
01-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Would love the opportunity to ride and assist. But think your trip is during the same time as my Alaska cruize . DATES ???

PrairieSpyder
01-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Would love the opportunity to ride and assist. But think your trip is during the same time as my Alaska cruize . DATES ???

Leaving Chelan, WA, June 29.

Highwayman2013
01-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Brake fluid.