PDA

View Full Version : installing hitch

lmadsen
01-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Has anyone seen a you tube video about installing a hitch on a 2104 rts spyder.

Thanks
Larry

sscheuer47
01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Has anyone seen a you tube video about installing a hitch on a 2104 rts spyder.

Thanks
Larry

I installed one last week on the wifes RTL without seeing a video before hand. The hardest part was installing the wiring. The back top and bottom panels need to come off. There is a hidden screw that is a smaller size head behide the left and right storage boxs at the bottom panel. It is not the best instructions. You do have to take off the left side panel to get to where there is a opening to install the wiring. I added some velcro to the module to aid in keeping it in place. Only one hole to drill for a 1/4 bolt that holds a clamp that holds the 4 square trailer connector in place. The wiring just runs between panels. I found a four square connector and a four flat extention on Amazon and in two days with free shipping combined the two to make a custom cable to connect to the trailer.
The rear bottom panel was a PITA to install because of the odd shape. Just played with it a bit to get right.
You will notice the clear material glued to the inside of the hitch which aides in sliding on. Mine still had a rough cut edge, so I had to file it before adding grease. I used blocks to hold the hitch level when installing. I was alone so a little nudge here and there and adjust the cables on the right side and it slipped on easy enough. The shaft hole didn't want to align so I used a small auto jack to raise the one side enough and than a few hammer blows and in it went.
If you are handy with tools and can follow your nose, you can do it. Yes, it took me longer than a pro but I have lots of time and the wiring you just have to undo a connector and add on another. Quite simple actually. I must have read the directions a dozen times before I got the nerve to start. Just do it.

whiteyron
01-14-2015, 01:00 PM
:agree: it is an easy mod to do. Just be patient. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Lamonster
01-14-2015, 01:07 PM
This might help some.
http://lamonstergarage.com/installation-instructions/belt-adjustment-hitch-remov.html

sscheuer47
01-14-2015, 03:15 PM
I installed one last week on the wifes RTL without seeing a video before hand. The hardest part was installing the wiring. The back top and bottom panels need to come off. There is a hidden screw that is a smaller size head behide the left and right storage boxs at the bottom panel. It is not the best instructions. You do have to take off the left side panel to get to where there is a opening to install the wiring. I added some velcro to the module to aid in keeping it in place. Only one hole to drill for a 1/4 bolt that holds a clamp that holds the 4 square trailer connector in place. The wiring just runs between panels. I found a four square connector and a four flat extention on Amazon and in two days with free shipping combined the two to make a custom cable to connect to the trailer.
The rear bottom panel was a PITA to install because of the odd shape. Just played with it a bit to get right.
You will notice the clear material glued to the inside of the hitch which aides in sliding on. Mine still had a rough cut edge, so I had to file it before adding grease. I used blocks to hold the hitch level when installing. I was alone so a little nudge here and there and adjust the cables on the right side and it slipped on easy enough. The shaft hole didn't want to align so I used a small auto jack to raise the one side enough and than a few hammer blows and in it went.
If you are handy with tools and can follow your nose, you can do it. Yes, it took me longer than a pro but I have lots of time and the wiring you just have to undo a connector and add on another. Quite simple actually. I must have read the directions a dozen times before I got the nerve to start. Just do it.

Forgot to mention that I had read an earlier post from someone who mentioned that the mudflap was rubbing when going over speed bumps because it sits so low. He had to cut off an inch and it was a PITA because the hitch was already attached. Before installing the mudflap I cut off 1 inch of the bottom and filed smooth and than installed the rivets. Easy to due and no one can tell it was done

Dragonfly
01-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Here are the instructions that I have for the 2013 installation https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12991387/2013RT%20Hitch%20Installation.pdf
Just take your time and read them. This is a 28 mb file.