PDA

View Full Version : Never paid list price in my life... this is NUTS!

YumaRed
10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Ok fellow Spyder lovers, help me out here.

I have purchased a lot of vehicles in my life and NEVER, I repaet NEVER have paid sticker price. Much less full sticker price PLUS whatever stupid add on the dealer can dream up. This is insane! :yikes:

Am I just being played for a fool here in AZ or does a Spyder just short circuit all functioning brain cells and make you do crazy things?

I would damn near trade in my 2 fuzzies for one of these things but I just can't pay sticker when other bikes of the 2 wheel variety are being sold at firesale prices.

Come on Spyder lovers, help me out. Make a sane, somewhat responsible old guy go something really crazy. I am going to a large motorcycle show this weekend and I am sure as hell gonna buy something.... want it to be a Spyder but I sure need some convincing.

Thanks to everyone that has already been Spyder bit... with no regrets I hope!

AMTJIM
10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Although it's hard in Arizona, try a non RIDE NOW franchise. Check the BRP website for all the Spyder dealers and there are a few.

bone crusher
11-01-2008, 02:09 AM
You're not going to find discounts on Spyders of any amount until they've been out a while...

I have never had a problem with paying sticker for something new and fun. Sure, you could wait a while and pay less, but then you're giving up time in your life that you could be enjoying what you really want.

So, wait and pay less and lose time to enjoy or just pay sticker and be happy...

I'll pay sticker every time...no question about that for me!

Life is short...what's a few hundred dollars in the scheme of things??

YumaRed
11-01-2008, 02:10 AM
******** - That blue Harley is freakin AWESOME, nice ride! And yes, I am looking possibly a Harley, but I want a touring bike.

For the Silver SE5, They are quoting me $17,900 plus shipping, plus prep and who knows what else. So that's FULL sticker plus the fluff. I just feel like I am being played for all they can get.

AMTJIM - I have contacted a dealer in Fountain Hills that is gracious enough to not tack on the fluff but that is not any great consession in my opinion.

So tell me guys... did you pay full price +?? You wanna play, you gotta pay! I get that but man this sure feels a bit strange... not sure I want a toy that bad, but maybe!

Thx

Motza
11-01-2008, 07:16 AM
You're not going to find discounts on Spyders of any amount until they've been out a while...

I have never had a problem with paying sticker for something new and fun. Sure, you could wait a while and pay less, but then you're giving up time in your life that you could be enjoying what you really want.

So, wait and pay less and lose time to enjoy or just pay sticker and be happy...

I'll pay sticker every time...no question about that for me!

Life is short...what's a few hundred dollars in the scheme of things??
Morning Crusher... I'll never and will never pay full list for anything either. Except for clothing (Impact Jackets 10% off), and food...sex is free :yes:
I ordered my Red SE 5 in June 08 from a Can Am dealer and I was able to get -5% off list off the Spyder, which in my opinon sucks, (I tried for -15%) then got -10% off the accessories.
They told me that I was the only one that they gave this discount to. I have to leave for work now, but if any one would like to no my secret, I'll be glad to post them later on.
Yes you to can chop any retail price.. just send me $29.99 in the next 30 seconds and metion my name. I will send at no charge, "WHAT I KNOW ABOUT BUYING RETAIL" and start saving millions by spend nothing... shipping is $9.99.
Money back in 30 days if not satisfied, minus shipping. :thumbup:

WizardMaster
11-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Exactly, if you want something different when it first comes out, chub up and pay list or even more. My wife wanted one of the new Mustangs when they came out, FULL LIST. Went into Destination Daytona just before this Biketoberfest, saw the Screamin Eagle Road Glide, the bike has over 800 changes from '08 to '09, first year for the SE Road Glide since '01 I believe, Sticker +$14,000. Oh well, you want it bad, you get it bad. Or you can wait and watch everyone else having fun!

NancysToy
11-01-2008, 07:23 AM
We paid full price, plus freight, setup, and document fee. No way a dealer was going to discount something that people were waiting in line to buy. Many would have paid sticker plus, just to get their hands on one in March. Our dealer actually did not charge us for one option, and halved the cost of installing the accessories, so we made out OK. I would be astonished to get one of these for a discounted rate, even now. These still are not in stock at most dealerships, you have to order. You couldn't buy a Dodge Viper at less than sticker when they were first announced, many paid a premium just to get their hands on one. Same goes for the Spyder. It is in demand, and that drives the cost. Some dealers are cutting deals, however, but very few nationwide. If you want just any bike, go shopping. If you want a Spyder, be prepared to pay. Don't let your ego stand in the way. I have always refused to pay sticker, so never owned a new bike. The Spyder was too darned neat to ignore, so we paid in full, and are totally delighted.
-Scotty

Motza
11-01-2008, 07:31 AM

I have purchased a lot of vehicles in my life and NEVER, I repaet NEVER have paid sticker price. Much less full sticker price PLUS whatever stupid add on the dealer can dream up. This is insane! :yikes:

Am I just being played for a fool here in AZ or does a Spyder just short circuit all functioning brain cells and make you do crazy things?

I would damn near trade in my 2 fuzzies for one of these things but I just can't pay sticker when other bikes of the 2 wheel variety are being sold at firesale prices.

Come on Spyder lovers, help me out. Make a sane, somewhat responsible old guy go something really crazy. I am going to a large motorcycle show this weekend and I am sure as hell gonna buy something.... want it to be a Spyder but I sure need some convincing.

You can get something off, you have to speak to the owner not the salesperson. Tell him it's just between you and him. how great you heard that his company is. Stroke him but not ass kissing, tell him that you plan to service your Spyder at his shop. (let him know, that he has good "Platium" qualified mechanics) and you heard that he does fair and good work... Bottom line is "How to Make Friends and Influence People" book I read by Dale Carnegge, don't know if I spelled his name right.

GOOD LUCK
Motza

Motza
11-01-2008, 07:33 AM
hello

Greg H.
11-01-2008, 07:47 AM
I paid full price for my Spyder. But, the installation of my accessories was free at time of delivery. That was nice. :)

But, I have to ask this. Do Harley owners get discounts? I know they get charged for installed accessories, even if it is at the time of purchase.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Bugatti owners, sure as heck don't get discounts off the retail price.

Spydr in KS
11-01-2008, 07:53 AM
There are people backing out of their orders now due to the economy. They are losing their deposits. Maybe you can get a discount, but I couldn't. I found a red Spyder sitting in the show room. They only had it 3 days before I bought it. Maybe I should have waited, let sit there a while longer (no must have Spyder). Waiting would have been the right move (must have Spyder). Oh well, if you want to play, you have to pay:cheers:

Bersquack
11-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I ill be paying list price plus transport and whatnot like the others. I have no problem with that because I want it bad and it's new. My dealer already sold 70+ spyders so he knows if I'm not the one buying it, someone else will. but I got 10% off accessories.

For what I read on this great forum... it is well worth the price and my two test rides at the dealer confirm that. No shame in paying list.

WidowMaker
11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I just bought my silver SM5 for $14900, and 5% off accessories. No setup, delivery or install fees whatsoever. Of course I drove quite a bit to get it and trailered it back but I saved over $1200 so it was worth it. That bought me a Spyder leather jacket and new Scorpion helmet and still have money left.

You may have to shop around but I'm the same way, I refuse to pay full MSRP on a vehicle. I think the reason is you know you can get money off so therefore you just come become accustomed to it.

Zerocool
11-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Here's my logic for every (big ticket) item I purchase.

For me, I look at the total price and figure in how long I'll (likely) own it; note, I do take very good care of things. Then, divide the cost by the number of years and that's the number I focus on, and not what the total cost is.

I use the same logic when deciding whether it's worth bartering. For example, if I expect to have the Spyder for 10 years, then bartering to save an extra $2000 is a waste of my time. Why? Because that's a savings of $200 per year; I drink more than $200 worth in Dunkin Donuts coffee a year. Dont sweat the small stuff.

My 2 cents.

spider Dave
11-01-2008, 09:56 AM
:spyder:Why don't you buy a used one off E-Bay? Some have been sold for 12,000 with low miles. Just a thought!! That said I paid full price for mine and would do it again. The Spyder is worth the price.
Good luck on what you decide
Ride Safe
Dave welcome

Big Arm
11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I have to agree with Scotty and Greg. I ordered my in June of '07, received in April '08, paid full price of $15,500, installation of accessory's was free ..............but that was in Minnesota ! ! ! .........(dealer told me 3 month ago...they went up..... now $15,600) ......so I'd bet in Az, Calif, or Fla you're not going to pay MSRP. you'll pay for a lot of fluff. Might want to call dealers in MN, Wi or MI for the best price.

dryheat
11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Ridenow has been gouging customers in AZ since the Spyder came out. When I first tried to order mine (In May 07) they were adding $1000 to sticker plus inflating the transportation and prep charges to exhorbitant levels (almost $2000 if memory serves). I ended up buying mine in Calif for sticker and $500 for Prep and Shipping combined. Plus I got to make a road trip to trailer it home. Now Ridenow demands prices above MSRP for all parts and accessories. My suggestion is to all around non-Ridenow dealers, and include Socal. It's only a day's drive.
I'm dreading taking mine in for the 6000 mile service approaching and hope some reasonable and appreciative dealer comes on board before that.

GeminiJane
11-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Paid full price plus set-up, etc. for mine; 10% off any accessories at time of purchase - and discounted 5 yr. warranty, if wanted.
My dealer has a demo on lot now (Yellow SM5) with 3500 demo miles - said BRP will make it like new - new plastics, tires, etc., although I think it looks great now, and sell for $14,000.
If they are doing that, you might find a few others with end of year demo deals.
For many years Harley charged over sticker prices and many stood in line to get them too - so it's a supply/demand driven market.
Personally, I'm glad I didn't wait - I'm lovin' mine and the price that I paid is not in my mind when I take it out for a ride (daily).

dltang
11-01-2008, 10:56 AM
When the Spyder's first came out there were quite a few reports of price gouging out in CA, sticker price would have been a deal. We paid MSRP for our, (both of them). We ordered in Aug & Sept of 07 had them on the road March of 08. They have been worth every penny of fun. I too plan on keeping mine for the long haul so it truly will be worth the price.

Motza
11-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Paid full price plus set-up, etc. for mine; 10% off any accessories at time of purchase - and discounted 5 yr. warranty, if wanted.
My dealer has a demo on lot now (Yellow SM5) with 3500 demo miles - said BRP will make it like new - new plastics, tires, etc., although I think it looks great now, and sell for $14,000.
If they are doing that, you might find a few others with end of year demo deals.
For many years Harley charged over sticker prices and many stood in line to get them too - so it's a supply/demand driven market.
Personally, I'm glad I didn't wait - I'm lovin' mine and the price that I paid is not in my mind when I take it out for a ride (daily).
Good idea

Cundiffla
11-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I too do not like paying sticker price, So I asked a dealer if he would discount If there is two of us buying two ( My Dad and I were going to buy one each) The dealer said sure "All Three Dealer" got all the quotes it wasn't much of a discount so my Dad decided it wasn't the time for him. So I paid full price. BTW all three dealers were about $50 to $75 apart the discount were in the installation price not the machine itself. They have this down to the science with the pricing structure. One of the Dealer said if he discount one then he have to be willing to discount all. I am glad I got mine Spyder and Loving every minute on it, EVEN in the Freezing Cold the other morning, Thought my fingers were going to fall off! But I had a great ride into work!:spyder: Oh the attention seems to never stop!

Another thing After you purchase the Spyder wait on the Service Contract, "Having Maintainace done by the dealer" Shop that out the prices are all over the board. I got my in my neighbor so I paid a little more but got an extra year on the deal, Unlimited Miles.

SpyderDog65
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM

I love mine and think it was well worth the sticker price i paid, $20.720 out the door, mine was $17,999 also but with tax licsence and all the other stuff and i got the 6 spoke rims and labor added for add $550.00, plus the fact that i feel ten times safer on this machine than i did on a harley. I mean dont get me wrong i love Harleys they have always been one of my favs but i dont feel very safe when i ride one, were as when i ride my spyder I feel alot safer, I think people notice them alot more than they would a regular bike, cause there so new it sure seem in my experience so far everyone i drive by seems to notice the dam thing lol they stick out like a sore thumb :) and there a blast to drive around town. its really up to your personal preference but if i had the choice to do again i would still pick my SE5 over a reg bike anyday :)......Michael

Red SE5 6 spoke rims, 1 inch riser, Stainless Venom Exhaust by Motad,NMN tripleplay taillights,NMN fender tips,Carbon Fiber Handlebar SE5 Inserts,Kuryakyn ISO Grips with ThrottleBoss, Kuryakyn Large ISO FootPegs,Mono SeatCover

NautiBrit
11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
You don't need to wait or be gouged. I went to Walt's Motorsports in Lake Havasu City and got a great deal. Contact Shawn Hamilton and tell him George sent you, you'll be well treated and get a good deal. I did.

Roaddog2
11-01-2008, 06:38 PM
U wana play u have to pay 15,400 out the door that was June 07 got delivered April 08 but pretty sure a dealer can get in trouble for selling below MSRP unless factory authorizes it.I know thats how it works with HD.For years it was MSRP or some were much higher :spyder:

mrfilovirus
11-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Good luck on finding any spyder that is new at anything but sticker... there is still just too much demand for it. I'm sure you can find a slightly used spyder for similar to sticker price without the setup fees, etc... but again - used.

In a couple of years, it should be different but right now...

jwfranklin
11-01-2008, 10:35 PM
That's funny- You said Harley AND discount in the same sentence!!

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif

Hope that answered your question......

That is funny, In my area we have about as many HD dealers as Chevy dealers, Have 3 within 15 miles of me. In 02 when I went looking for my first Harley, the question was how much over list you would have to pay. Most were $2500 over list some were more. In most cases you had to get your name on a waiting list, and wait several months. There was a dealer in Ohio that was selling for list but his waiting list was 18 months long. Found a dealer 250 miles away in NC that had the Black Hertiage I wanted coming in at only a $1000 over list. Today most are at list.

Wayne

speedster200
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
profit is not a bad word hell the whole free enterprise system is built on it!

Roadkill
11-01-2008, 11:06 PM
+I've paid sticker on everything for years and been extremely satisfied.

I think the Spyder's MSRP is a great deal.

Ride on.
Roadkill

IMRU3
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
It would have been impossible for all PE owners to have gotten a discount on the first production of the Spyder. Even if I paid for the sticker price on my Spyder last year, I feel I saved a lot because of the free installation of all the accessories that I purchased. My friend also purchased a Spyder a month and a half ago and was not able to get any kind of discount on a brand new Red SE5 (unless it was used or a demo machine at the dealer). I've read somewhere in this forum that there will be an increase on the 2009 model. You can try your hardest bargaining with a dealer, but it might not lead you anywhere. The Spyder is so new and it's too hot for you to be able to get a significant discount on it. Goodluck to you. There's no harm in trying.

bone crusher
11-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Motza,

No word from Lamonster on the impactjackets?? May just have to order on own...

Anyway, when I bought my Spyder, the dealer waved destination charge as had a special going for the first few bought at this particular dealership...this did save me a lot over the other dealership in my state...

I also got 10% off accessories...

I did pay sticker though...and the horrible tax in my state too...argh!

Way2Fast
11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Give the Spyder a couple more months...when winter sets in and riding time is limited in many parts of the country. Word is also getting passed around about all the problems new owners are experiencing with their Spyders. This, combined with the sad state of the economy, will cause a glut in unsold units and prices will plummet. Most dealers will be happy to discount just to make a sale.

As far as Harleys going for list price.....maybe only to those who don't try to negotiate price. In my area HD dealers are closing and those remaining are willing to deal.

baldev
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
profit is not a bad word hell the whole free enterprise system is built on it!

I paid $15999 for my SE otd and got 15% off all accessories that I added ( 10/25/08 ). Wheels, Exhaust ( LEO) Riser, foggys, 12Volt, passenger bag. Pennsylvania.

YumaRed
11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
This Spyder thing is getting a bit crazy. I was supposed to get a factory road demo at the recent MC show in Phoenix this past Sunday. My time was at 2:00... only problem was somone drove one into the canal during the 1:00 ride. So they cancelled the rest of that days rides. That sucked!

Maybe guy thought since it looks like it's part Sea-Doo and made by Sea-Doo... it floats like a Sea-Doo. NOT!

But any way I have gotten some great pointers from all of you and I appreciate it... time to go shopping!

NancysToy
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
This Spyder thing is getting a bit crazy. I was supposed to get a factory road demo at the recent MC show in Phoenix this past Sunday. My time was at 2:00... only problem was somone drove one into the canal during the 1:00 ride. So they cancelled the rest of that days rides. That sucked!

Maybe guy thought since it looks like it's part Sea-Doo and made by Sea-Doo... it floats like a Sea-Doo. NOT!

But any way I have gotten some great pointers from all of you and I appreciate it... time to go shopping!
The dealers should all have demos. Even if you don't buy where you try it, ride one soon. May take a little getting used to if you are a biker, but it is great stuff.
-Scotty

markusj
11-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I paid 18,600 OTD for my SM5 red Spyder? I don't know if I got a good deal, but I talked to someone else that paid 24,000 OTD in Tulare CA, 4 days before I bought mine. He drove 2 hours, I drove 30 minutes.

P.S. Same models but his was yellow.

Roadkill
11-05-2008, 11:07 PM
+Just to be clear, I've never paid over MSRP, and have never been dissatisfied when paying MSRP.

I've been extremely pleased with my '08 Spyder SM5 and think its MSRP is fair.

Ride on.
Roadkill
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_8324.JPG