PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts RE: Progressive Motorcycle Show and F3

daveinva
01-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Went to the motorcycle show this weekend in D.C. Smaller than in previous years, but still plenty of neat bikes, and of course the star of the show, the F3.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, but since this was the first time I ever had a chance to see and sit on one in person, here are my first impressions:

1. Others are right: when it was first announced I thought it was ugly as sin from the front, but it looks a LOT better in person than those first photos suggested. That awesome side and rear profile dominates your eye, and the front profile isn't as weird as it comes off in a still image. It definitely looks quite the muscular beast when next to the other Spyders, like a crouching jungle cat ready to leap forward. The fit and finish looked solid and substantial.

2. Still iffy on the cruiser position. To each their own, I've never found them as comfortable as a standard position, and the F3 was no exception. That said, the F3 is just about as comfortable a cruiser as I've ever sat on, and with three-wheels it avoids the concerns I have in riding two-wheel cruisers, namely I just never feel quite in as control not having my legs underneath me helping me shift my weight.

3. That said, the U-Fit is really awesome, and a great innovation I wish more bike manufacturers would emulate. Each of the bikes at the show had different positions, and I was quickly able to find one comfy for me (5'9" with short arms and long legs = stock bars and #4 pegs :thumbup:).

4. The smaller frunk is a cruel joke and the tiny saddlebags remain an insult, especially at that price. Somebody in the aftermarket could make a killing on building larger, cheaper and better sidebags, or a topcase mount... hint-hint.

5. That cannonball seat is among the most comfortable OEM bike seats I've ever sat on, that's a winner. You definitely need a backrest for your passenger, though, and two-up the driver's backrest is uncomfortable for the passenger, or at least it was for my GF (it's too wide, digs into the thighs). Two-up I think I'd toss the driver's backrest into the frunk (that is, if you can make it fit :joke:).

Anyway, it wasn't love at first sight, but nothing about it turned me off (except for the poor OEM touring options, but I knew that already). I'm still really looking forward to actually *riding* one, I think that's going to sell me on it.

Other Spyder thoughts: folks who complain about the new "wild" colors from photos alone are missing out, they all look REALLY sharp in person and have a lot of fun personality. For my money, that denim blue satin on the ST might be the best color yet I've seen on a Spyder, up there with my previous favorite (the orange & black "Halloween edition" RS-S). The red and black RT is also really nice.

Other bike thoughts: beyond the Spyders...

-- The new Ducati Scrambler is reeeeeallly neat. Light and comfortable. No complaints in person (reviews have been good, albeit the clutch sounds a little too finicky for my taste, false neutrals and all).
-- I fit on a Ducati Diavel as if it were made bespoke from my measurements. That's potentially a very expensive discovery.
-- Based on reviews I've been looking at getting a Yamaha FZ-07, but after sitting on one, I'd definitely have to demo one, it wasn't love at first sight for either the 07 or the 09.
-- The Honda NM-4 Vultus is one weird bike, but I kinda like it. Criminally-positioned rear-view mirrors, but the rest of it is quite the character.
-- My brother's a Harley guy but also a geek, he found the Livewire demo (no rides at the show, just sit on it and twist the throttle) neat. If they can put decent range on it, they've got one buyer. That said, I think *his* next bike might be a Triumph Thruxton, he's inclined to go all cafe racer in his old age. :rolleyes:
-- Sad to say, the reviews were right: the Harley Street bikes come off as cheeeeap. They cut corners on fit and finish in order to get the price down, which is a real shame given that other manufacturers seem able to put out bikes in that price range without those compromises. Still would like to ride one to try it out, but they feel like budget bikes.
-- I still have absolutely no idea how anybody rides giant baggers. Sitting on a Road King, I feel like I'm in a 1970s Lincoln, only with two wheels to keep me upright. It's amazing how big they feel even in comparison to a *Spyder*, I just know I'd be intimidated as all hell trying to steer something like that through a parking lot.
-- I've never been enamored of any of the Indians, too close to Harley for my tastes, but the Scout is the real deal, if I ever buy a cruiser that there might be the bike to lure me in.

Lastly: this was the first time my GF had seen the Slingshot. As her eyes got wider I felt my wallet getting lighter. :roflblack: I was shocked at how much she liked it, especially at the price. Thankfully, our house only has a driveway and not a garage, and I'm not parking something like that out in the elements. Of course, when I said that to her, she just said, "Time for you to buy me a new house then!" :joke:

ARtraveler
01-12-2015, 04:01 PM
A really great review. Thanks for filling us in. Felt like I was at the show. :thumbup::thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-12-2015, 04:14 PM
my words exactly....
except, i demo'd one, and everything you said is true, but riding one is UNREAL....
go to your dealer, and take one for a ride... you'll NEVER LOOK BACK...
dp

Cruzr Joe
01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Rode one Saturday ........................... Nice, Powerful, comfortable for driver.

Sticking with my RT-S, more comfort, more storage, just as cool looking, can pull a trailer, music included, Wife much more comfortable.

Cruzr Joe

Orange Spyder Man
01-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Friday & Saturday the local Cam Am dealer sponsored a demo ride... I was curious about the F3 ... rode it for about 1/2 hour... i'll keep my RT.. the F3 is not for me..

osm

Dan McNally
01-12-2015, 06:10 PM
I was also at the DC show . . . I sat on the black F3 that had the foot pegs all the way forward. It felt very similar to sitting on a Harley with my feet on the highway pegs. I agree the seat is very comfortable . . . and lower than the RT. In fact, I was able to get on and off from the floor, without using the passenger pegs, that it appeared most folks were doing.

That raises my only concern. After over 10,000 miles on my RT, I'm afraid I would adjust my feet on a long ride, out of habit, and bring them to where the floorboards are on my RT . . . but on the F3, that would be the pavement! If you are an RT rider with floorboards and you take one of these sweet things for a ride, remember that the floorboards aren't there!

I really like it a lot, but I think I'm an RT guy . . . need the storage space for road trips.

daveinva
01-12-2015, 08:38 PM
That raises my only concern. After over 10,000 miles on my RT, I'm afraid I would adjust my feet on a long ride, out of habit, and bring them to where the floorboards are on my RT . . . but on the F3, that would be the pavement! If you are an RT rider with floorboards and you take one of these sweet things for a ride, remember that the floorboards aren't there!

Heh, that's actually a really good point! I have to really stretch on my RS to get my toes to the ground, i.e. it's a deliberate motion. Being lower, gotta remember, feet stay *up* :thumbup:

spacetiger
01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
I would normally click the "like post" and "Thank you post" option.

But, you took the time to post some good info with good humor - so, I'll write thanking you for taking the time to give us all a treat on the show.

Jerry

rhansen309
01-12-2015, 10:17 PM
I sat on the F3 at the DC bike show this weekend. I have short legs so the brake pedal was a reach for me. I like my RT and think I will stay with that.

LV2RYDE
01-12-2015, 10:19 PM
my words exactly....
except, i demo'd one, and everything you said is true, but riding one is UNREAL....
go to your dealer, and take one for a ride... you'll NEVER LOOK BACK...
dp

So, do you like it or not, after test ryde???