View Full Version : Fuel tank specs

dguisinger
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Question about the specs:

FUEL CAPACITY
7.1 gal (27 L)

RESERVE
1.20 gal (4.5 L) approx.

Is the reserve spec the point where the fuel light comes on, or is it the unusable portion of the tank?

Chupaca
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
apporx...being the key word. You really want to know..fill the tank (do not over fill) it will not hold the full amount. Pack a gallon container and set your trip meters to zero. Go ryding till you see the low fuel light come on. Reset one of the trip meters and keep ryding till you run out of gas. Now one meter will tell you how far you can get on a tankful and the other how far from low to empty. You know this will vary on the many variables but it is a starting point. I find the best is when the low fuel light comes on go get gas...:thumbup:

Pennyrick
01-12-2015, 02:17 PM

Is the reserve spec the point where the fuel light comes on, or is it the unusable portion of the tank?

A steep hill, a hard turn or a bump in the road can make the low fuel light come on. I can even make it light up by rocking the Spyder from side to side. Best advice is not to plan fill ups based on the light.... work from your odometer.

dguisinger
01-12-2015, 02:18 PM
I understand this, you guys are answering the wrong question :P

There is always a part of the fuel tank you can't use.
Is the reserve number the unusable, or is it where the warning light is supposed to come on?
Is the 7.1 gallons supposed to be 7.1 gallons usable or is the number smaller than that?

Pennyrick
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
I understand this, you guys are answering the wrong question :P

There is always a part of the fuel tank you can't use.
Is the reserve number the unusable, or is it where the warning light is supposed to come on?
Is the 7.1 gallons supposed to be 7.1 gallons usable or is the number smaller than that?

If it is the same on the '14 as it is on earlier models with the 6.6 gal capacity the number is what you can put in the system not how much you can get out. In my case there will always be about a little more than half a gallon in my tank that I cannot access.

dguisinger
01-12-2015, 02:27 PM
If it is the same on the '14 as it is on earlier models with the 6.6 gal capacity the number is what you can put in the system not how much you can get out. In my case there will always be about a little more than half a gallon in my tank that I cannot access.

Alright thanks, so I take that as meaning the reserve is approximately where the light comes on, and they don't list the unusable number.
I really wasn't planning on running out of gas to find out, i was just looking to clarify what their specs were referring to.

:)

Lamonster
01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
If I remember right the 7.1 is what the tank will hold. I don't think you can put 7.1 in it so that would be the unusable part, the top of the tank. I'm pretty sure the tank will run bone dry.

The light is another issue, for me it varies too much to go by. I figure out my mileage and go by that.

SPYD3R
01-12-2015, 02:37 PM
CAPACITY IS WHAT THE TANK WILL HOLD IN GALLONS...
WHEN THE TANK IS DOWN TO ONLY 1.2 GALLONS REMAINING, THIS IS WHEN THE YELLOW WARNING LIGHT COMES ON.... (theoretically (https://www.google.com/search?q=theoretically&start=0&spell=1))...
as stated before, there are too many variables to be specific... the 1.2 gallons is very much a generalization, but keep in mind, when your YELLOW WARNING LIGHT comes on, start looking for a gas station...
dp

Orange Spyder Man
01-12-2015, 02:58 PM
any guess-ta-mate how many miles a 2014 Spyder can go once the low fuel light comes on ?? I know my 2005 GoldWing could go about 50 miles on reserve.. when we went thru Utah 2 years ago... we left Mexican Hat and saw a sign that stated "180 miles before next services" .. so its a good thing to know how many miles a Spyder can go until it runs out of gas..

osm

ARtraveler
01-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Not the specific answer you were looking for, but hopefully helpful to some.

Get to know your particular :spyder2: and the characteristics of when the fuel light goes on and when you actually need to get serious about filling up. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

I always set the A & B tripmeters to zero when I fill up. I always fill to the same level each time. This lets me know how many miles I have actually driven on the tank.

My current 2011 fill light goes on at about 150 miles. I have heard others mention any where from 125 miles and up. My 2014 fill light goes on at about 210 miles.

In most on the road situations, I do not let the gas tank get that far down. I usually stop to refuel at around 100 - 125 miles. At that point, I am ready to get off and stretch. If traveling in areas where there is no gas for 150 miles or more, I recommend bringing along a couple gallons--just in case. There are several threads about which gas cans work well.

dguisinger
01-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Not the specific answer you were looking for, by hopefully helpful to some.

Get to know your particular :spyder2: and the characteristics of when the fuel light goes on and when you actually need to get serious about filling up. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

I always set the A & B tripmeters to zero when I fill up. I always fill to the same level each time. This lets me know how many miles I have actually driven on the tank.

My current 2011 fill light goes on at about 150 miles. I have heard others mention any where from 125 miles and up. My 2014 fill light goes on at about 200 miles.

In most on the road situations, I do not let the gas tank get that far down. I usually stop to refuel at around 100 - 125 miles. At that point, I am ready to get off and stretch. If traveling in areas where there is no gas for 150 miles or more, I recommend bringing along a couple gallons--just in case. There are several threads about which gas cans work well.

I will sheepishly admit to taking a road trip last year and being out in the middle of no where when my warning light came on and my planned gas stop was 20+ miles away. I went for it anyway (didn't have a whole lot of choice) and if I remember correctly calculated I had .2 or .3 gallons left after looking at how much I put in. I wouldn't recommend it. Add that to already unexpectedly riding through a thunderstorm, breaking both my helmet visor and my glasses in the trunk before that storm, and then being soaking wet in Duluth MN on a chilly day... that road trip was the worst idea I've ever had...

ARtraveler
01-12-2015, 03:50 PM
I will sheepishly admit to taking a road trip last year and being out in the middle of no where when my warning light came on and my planned gas stop was 20+ miles away. I went for it anyway (didn't have a whole lot of choice) and if I remember correctly calculated I had .2 or .3 gallons left after looking at how much I put in. I wouldn't recommend it. Add that to already unexpectedly riding through a thunderstorm, breaking both my helmet visor and my glasses in the trunk before that storm, and then being soaking wet in Duluth MN on a chilly day... that road trip was the worst idea I've ever had...

Been there and done that, ONCE! :roflblack: Alcan highway, where we encountered another vehicle every twenty minutes or so. Light went on, was not sure how far to the next open gas station. The longest 30 miles or so that I have ever driven. I neglected to top off at the previous gas stop, won't ever do that again on a road like that.

Wet in Duluth MN, on a chilly day...been there and done that. Lived in Duluth for over 20 years. Like the North Shore and surrounding areas a lot. :yes:

Bob Denman
01-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Don't worry about the unusable portion of the tank; you're only going to sell it, or trade it in, when you get rid of the bike... :D

chuckk
01-13-2015, 08:46 PM
i believe riders should know how many miles they can go before the light comes on, and then, the miles driven, when the bike finally runs out of gas.. as suggested before, carry an extra gallon of fuel.. use both trip meters one for the light, and one for when the bike runs out of fuel.. WRITE IT DOWN AND CARRY IT WITH YOU! .. when you are out on that lonely road, you don't want to rely on a weak recollection.. having it written down will give you some comfort.. worry just takes the fun away.. also, you might want to plan a ride just to accomplish this one time test.. plan a ride where there are known gas stations within the range of that extra gallon you are going to carry.. i have even found myself riding in a small 10 mile loop, knowing the gas stations are close.. i rode that 10 mile loop after putting on about 140 miles on a mountain ride.. i then rode that loop 5 or 6 times.. it sounds kinda boring, but picture yourself on a racetrack or whatever.. "it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it".. ha ha ... it's all part of knowing your machine.. it gives you a higher level of confidence.. one warning i have .. you don't want to run your bike low on fuel, as a common practice.. the reason not to is, the electric fuel pump is located in the tank, and uses the gasoline to cool itself.. running low on fuel often, results in your fuel pump running a little hotter than it likes... keep in mind while testing.. take note of wind conditions, mountain riding, speed, etc.. pick a ride that captures your riding style..

tip
01-13-2015, 09:36 PM
My manual - page 163 - says that my '14 RT holds 6.9 gallons.
Are there different size tanks out there?

Mike,P
01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
My manual - page 163 - says that my '14 RT holds 6.9 gallons.
Are there different size tanks out there?

The F3 tank is different and larger

JayBros
01-13-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm looking forward to Spyderfest so I can spend some full days on the road to get a better idea of my range on a tank. To date most all rides have been a mixture of model rider and mini-hooligan, far more the former than the latter. My low fuel light has come on only once and I still had plenty of reserve because of the inaccuracy of the system.

Big Arm
01-13-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm looking forward to Spyderfest ........... To date most all rides have been a mixture of model rider and mini-hooligan, far more the former than the latter.

The first few years of Spyderfest, we had several hooligans there...:roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack: