PDA

View Full Version : Corbin High Five

Buelldog
10-31-2008, 06:49 PM
My Corbin saddle went on today.....definetely raises the rideability factor a notch or two.Pressure points are history and you really feel placed in the pocket but still able to be rider active in the twisties.My set up was with the BRP sport rack.....made the install a little more involved than with the BRP std. tail piece......you have to loosen the whole sport rack assembly , top and bottom.Looks like the Corbin saddle was designed with the std. tail piece as far as the passenger seat is concerned.Installed the stock BRP seat shock as per Corbin instruction sheet.....alignment was not precise but worked o-k with slightly more downward position pressure to secure.However after just about finishing up the total install, went to release position to pop up seat and whoa....this baby was dead on locked in place!!The stock seat shock is mounted to the rear and dead center on the BRP seat but to the front left of the Corbin rider saddle....the shock ,with the seat in the down position for 30minutes, had lifted the left front wing of the seat slightly but enough, throwing the latch pin lip under the hole opening and the swivel spring plate activated by the key position was useless.We had to remove the seat from the Corbin hinge assembly and deceided this shock in this position was going to be an ongoing problem.....So MY install is without the shock and the alignment on my Corbin rider seat is dead on perfect with closure and opening so really smooth.I talked to Corbin and they said they were installing stock shock with no major issues.....it did require some pressure downward on the right side.Anyway I believe some others have opted for leaving the shock off .....guess it's up to whether you like pushing and shoving to open and close....I don't!!

ataDude
10-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Most others have left the shock off... including me. It most definitely torques the seat out of alignment.

However, Lamont invented a nifty little jewel for a replacement... a 1/8" thick by 6-7" long by 3/4" or 1" wide aluminum bar that swings down into place when fueling. It's easy to make... and requires one drilled hole. Search for posts by Lamont.

My Corbin saddle went on today.....definetely raises the rideability factor a notch or two.Pressure points are history and you really feel placed in the pocket but still able to be rider active in the twisties.My set up was with the BRP sport rack.....made the install a little more involved than with the BRP std. tail piece......you have to loosen the whole sport rack assembly , top and bottom.Looks like the Corbin saddle was designed with the std. tail piece as far as the passenger seat is concerned.Installed the stock BRP seat shock as per Corbin instruction sheet.....alignment was not precise but worked o-k with slightly more downward position pressure to secure.However after just about finishing up the total install, went to release position to pop up seat and whoa....this baby was dead on locked in place!!The stock seat shock is mounted to the rear and dead center on the BRP seat but to the front left of the Corbin rider saddle....the shock ,with the seat in the down position for 30minutes, had lifted the left front wing of the seat slightly but enough, throwing the latch pin lip under the hole opening and the swivel spring plate activated by the key position was useless.We had to remove the seat from the Corbin hinge assembly and deceided this shock in this position was going to be an ongoing problem.....So MY install is without the shock and the alignment on my Corbin rider seat is dead on perfect with closure and opening so really smooth.I talked to Corbin and they said they were installing stock shock with no major issues.....it did require some pressure downward on the right side.Anyway I believe some others have opted for leaving the shock off .....guess it's up to whether you like pushing and shoving to open and close....I don't!!

Lamonster
10-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Most others have left the shock off... including me. It most definitely torques the seat out of alignment.

However, Lamont invented a nifty little jewel for a replacement... a 1/8" thick by 6-7" long by 3/4" or 1" wide aluminum bar that swings down into place when fueling. It's easy to make... and requires one drilled hole. Search for posts by Lamont.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46385&postcount=37

I have since removed the locking pin too. Now I just open and flip down the leg. :doorag:

araneae
10-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I too removed the shock because it was lifting the left corner of the seat. It was on for about a month so I hope it flattens out given a little time. I just place the gas cap under rear portion of the seat when refueling to hole it up but I like the support idea that Lamonster has.

Bryan

RTGENE
10-31-2008, 10:14 PM
I thought it was just me-----tried to install the shock-----its now attached to the original seat and put away. As for the seat it holds you in place your sitting in the seat not on it.----comfort level is great. The back rest holds you in place as you accelerate. Which means you are more relaxed and not hanging on for dear life.

Buelldog
11-01-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46385&postcount=37

I have since removed the locking pin too. Now I just open and flip down the leg. :doorag:

Thanks Lamont for the leg mod idea for the Corbin saddle .......made mine today out of aluminum....works great.Like lots of folks have discovered......way too strong a ram shock for conversion to the shorter and off center mount required for use with the Corbin.I am surprised Corbin hasn't made a statement on this.The leg idea is simple and works fine....Thanks Again, Steve

Lamonster
11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks Lamont for the leg mod idea for the Corbin saddle .......made mine today out of aluminum....works great.Like lots of folks have discovered......way too strong a ram shock for conversion to the shorter and off center mount required for use with the Corbin.I am surprised Corbin hasn't made a statement on this.The leg idea is simple and works fine....Thanks Again, Steve

Glad it worked out for you.:thumbup: If you pull that locking pin off the seat you won't have to mess with turning the key when you fillup. :doorag:

sabunim5
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Was lucky enough to win my Corbin seat in Gatlinburg. Corbin put it on and it uses the stock seat shock. No allingment problems. :dontknow: Only difference I noticed is the seat opens much more forcefully.