PDA

View Full Version : tried a Slingshot

desertryder
01-10-2015, 01:59 AM
Drove a Slingshot today at Owens in Yakima, WA.. very nice folks and they had a couple of the higher end ones in stock and ready to sell. I have watched videos and seen pictures but was still shocked by the width and overall size. Seating position was comfortable, very carlike. Engine pulled strongly and handling was great. I enjoyed the drive but can't help but wonder if the entertainment value would fade pretty quickly. That said, it is great to see new and creative performance vehicles on the market, I hope this one makes it. I might consider looking for a used one in a year or two!

Chupaca
01-10-2015, 02:04 AM
my english sports cars were smaller that that. It is a looker and you hear good things so far...shall see:popcorn:

Tango
01-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I wonder if the Kenda tires they are using are any different than ours? :dontknow: Tom :thumbup:

martiniman
01-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Drove a Slingshot today at Owens in Yakima, WA.. very nice folks and they had a couple of the higher end ones in stock and ready to sell. I have watched videos and seen pictures but was still shocked by the width and overall size. Seating position was comfortable, very carlike. Engine pulled strongly and handling was great. I enjoyed the drive but can't help but wonder if the entertainment value would fade pretty quickly. That said, it is great to see new and creative performance vehicles on the market, I hope this one makes it. I might consider looking for a used one in a year or two!
Just wanted to say I agree. Saw my first one up close yesterday and the thing is HUGE! Cool looking and wouldn't mind driving it but I'll keep my Spyder.

napper39
01-10-2015, 11:50 AM
i also got to take one out and liked it but im alresdy lodded with fun bikes and running out of money,heres some piks i took yester day while at the indian dealers ,they have 2 cheeper modeals and one red 23000 dollar modeal there ready to sell.:thumbup::2thumbs:

Dragonrider
01-10-2015, 11:56 AM
I too am keeping my RT -

The SS really needs a good set of hard saddlebags - otherwise the rear end looks unfinished. It IS a hoot to drive, but a little tough for those big guys with bad knees to get out of.

I use my Spyder (on non rainy days) for all of my errands around town, and as my daily commuter - wouldn't do that with the SS. I'm required to back into parking at work, and the SS has some large blind spots in that arena.

With all of that, I couldn't get my 15yo grandson out of it.....and having ridden/driven both, I think the SS SL is a far better value than the F3.

WA5VHU
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm required to back into parking at work, and the SS has some large blind spots in that arena.

Could one of those cheap wireless backup camera kits be added? Might solve some of the backup blind-spot problems?

Charles

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Just wanted to say I agree. Saw my first one up close yesterday and the thing is HUGE! Cool looking and wouldn't mind driving it but I'll keep my Spyder.

the fact that it is huge is what makes it not a m/c

Dragonrider
01-10-2015, 01:15 PM
BU camera.... I'll have to follow that thread. It has a really nice in dash display, so that might work!!!

Big Brother has spake... both the SS and F3 are motorcycles (at least here) - and it really doesn't make any difference.

Both the Spyder and SS are very nice toys, targeted at essentially the same market(s). There's a local guy working on a aftermarket ragtop and side curtains for the SS - making it even more like my Healys and MGs of old - and more useful in our wet weather.

I see lots of issues with Big Brother in the future of the SS and its close relatives tho, as they avoid all of the DOT mandates for cars,and, therefore, are too much fun.

So we just need to keep our Spyders and see what the future brings. I will say that if there wasn't a RT, the SS would be my toy of choice -

Tlauden
01-10-2015, 02:55 PM
That thing looks HUGE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
01-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the pictures. :agree: it does look huge. :yes::yes:

Deanna777
01-10-2015, 03:23 PM
:agree: the SS does look huge, and thanks for the pic.

deanna

dano
01-10-2015, 03:27 PM
The red one has a backup camera.

Dragonrider
01-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Didn't notice when I drove the SL - perhaps that one wasn't hooked up???? You get a lot of upgrades with the SL - $3K well spent.

MisterP
01-10-2015, 03:54 PM
I personally think the Slingshot is ugly. It looks like they sent it out to sell without finishing it.

I have to wonder if they will suffer from accidents due to the low profile; a pickup will drive right over it if someone isn't paying attention.

JayBros
01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
the fact that it is huge is what makes it not a m/c

If I wanted something that big and to sit in I'd buy a fourth wheel. No doubt it's probably a blast to drive.

one2doo
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
My friend bought one it's fast . I will stick with a new F3.

coz
01-10-2015, 05:10 PM
That thing looks HUGE!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTHAT'S WHAT SHE SAID !:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cal777
01-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I'll say it again, it will never replace my Spyder. But every time that we take it for a ride I LOVE IT MORE!!!!!!

thehawk
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
...and what a huge waste of time.

A go cart that pretends to be a finished vehicle might somehow be excusable, but a go-cart that simply isn’t finished is not.

What I found was a three wheeled car that just wasn’t up to the job.

the fit and finish was substandard and the wow factor simply was not there.

A C+ at best.

Maybe Polaris should go back to the drawing board and fit another wheel and make this thing into a US made Miata.

Sorry, but this puppy sucks Big Time.

aw shucks, rog. tell us how you really feel:roflblack:

thehawk

Dragonrider
01-10-2015, 11:27 PM
It's called different strokes... some folks actually like the F3 too.

pitzerwm
01-11-2015, 02:42 AM
If you go over and read their forum, you wouldn't be so interested. I too was thinking of getting one, but reading their forum, not a chance for a few years at least. They have a bunch of QC issues, real stupid stuff that never have left the factory. Two people that crashed theirs said that the brakes weren't enough for the weight of the bike. Lots of issues, I don't want paying $25K for (tax and lic included)nojoke:banghead:

Howard1941
01-11-2015, 08:04 AM
The Slingshot can not be registered in Connecticut and Texas. I wonder how is Polaris going to make it eligible for registration in those two states?

Rockwall
01-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I have no doubt that it would be an absolute blast on a race track. Still don't get where and how :dontknow:you would regularly use that machine though.

flaggerphil
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
To me it looks more like a track vehicle than road vehicle. And with my legs getting in and out of it would be problematic at best.

hut1
01-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Finally got to see and sit in one at the show in DC today, and yes it is as big as it appears in many of the photos I've seen. I thought many of the pictures I've seen appeared to be distorted, but no, the frontal area is as large as it appears! I'd like to test one though........whenever they get one in Delawhere!:sour:

Also saw the F3 w/Touring Escape Package. Definitely #1 on my list. Unless money was no issue, then it would be the Talon Invader ($56k+) which is finally in production.......supposedly!

BIKEMIKE
01-11-2015, 09:06 PM
We have them at the local dealer here. I do like the looks but what turned me to the spyder was getting in and out. I have metal knees and getting in one was hard because I cant bend then enough to slide under the steering wheel. Buy trying to get out was harder so i went with the spyder and am very glad i did. The spyder keeps that motorcycle fill but the slingshot is too much like a car.

jimnsusie
01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Just looking at the picture of it is enough for me. Too much like a gaudy car. But something for someone is what makes the world turn.

MMMII
01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Nope - no thank you - not for me. I saw one the other day on the road and wasn't impressed. I just don't get the appeal (granted many say that about our Spyders).

But hey, if that's what you want to spend your hard earned money on then who am I to tell you that you are wrong... Enjoy life!

hulksdaddy
01-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Will take one for a spin when available(though I guess not here in CT) just to see how it drives(not rides, it's a car for crying out loud!) but no interest in one. Looks like a kit car, and too unbalanced.

But if you like it, go for it. :thumbup:

daveinva
01-12-2015, 04:08 PM
The Slingshot can not be registered in Connecticut and Texas. I wonder how is Polaris going to make it eligible for registration in those two states?

At the DC show, the Polaris rep noted that as a bike you can register it in certain states that allow residents of any state to register there, e.g. you can't yet register it in Maryland either, apparently, but Virginia lets anybody anywhere in the U.S. register in VA so that's what they're doing.

Unsure if either Texas or CT has an issue with out-of-state registrations, but if not, that's a simple solution, albeit a bit more paperwork perhaps.