PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Flexible Helmet Lock Extender

robmorg
01-09-2015, 03:50 PM
I've always used the standard helmet clip under the seat to store my helmet when I'm away from the Spyder for a short time. But recently I got a new helmet, and the D-ring side of the strap is too short to fit. A standard T-bar helmet lock extender will not work on the spyder under the seat. Anyone know of a flexible helmet lock extender that will work... perhaps made out of leather or canvas, etc.?

Oldmanzues
01-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Just a idea, do not know if it would work.
A small "carbinner clip". They look like a flatted oval and and have screw opening/shutting nut.
A loop of cloth jus long enought to accomplish hooking one end over the seat hook, thru the D ring then bck to the seat hook.
I just keep enough room in my frunk for my modulal helmet
Good luck
Oldmanzues

Purple Guy
01-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Just as another option, I have a Helmet Guardian and I love it.
Personally I'm not a fan of hanging my helmet on the side of my bike.

Chupaca
01-09-2015, 05:18 PM
hardwear store...piece of garage door cable... Two crimp cable locks...make an eye loop at each end...run it thru the "D" ring hook both eyes under the seat...done. In a bind use a big zip tie...circle cable is even easier than the two eyes. One clamp feed it thru the "D" rings...:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
01-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Another thought ............................ DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIP UNDER THE SEAT ........................ You will scratch the Spyder, This is experience talking, put the helmet in the side saddlebag (the right side saddlebag is a little larger), or in the frunk.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
01-09-2015, 06:13 PM
hardwear store...piece of garage door cable... Two crimp cable locks...make an eye loop at each end...run it thru the "D" ring hook both eyes under the seat...done. In a bind use a big zip tie...circle cable is even easier than the two eyes. One clamp feed it thru the "D" rings...:thumbup:
:agree: Orrrr... keep an eye out in the Harley catalogs. (They've always got the FUNKIEST stuff available!) You might find exactly what you want in one of them.

robmorg
01-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. All good ideas. :thumbup: I appreciate the responses.

Joe, I'm sticking the helmet in a compartment now, but I'm planning ahead for taking some road trips this season. My storage compartments will be full and I'll still need to secure the helmet.

Purple Guy, that Helmet Guardian is a nifty idea - never seen that before.

Gene, your idea is simple to use, and I'm really into "simple". ;) When not in use, I can store that cable under the seat where it's handy. Thanks for suggesting that. Think I'll pay a visit to Lowes or Ace Hardware this weekend. I'm hoping they'll even have a crimping tool I can use so I won't have to buy one. I'll look for some soft plastic coated cable to avoid scratching.

I also found this on Amazon for about $6. It expands from 4.5 inches to 6 feet. Not suitable for the helmet, but I'm sure I can find a practical use for this while on the road.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rjui518kL._AA160_.jpg

JayBros
01-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Another thought ............................ DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIP UNDER THE SEAT ........................ You will scratch the Spyder, This is experience talking, put the helmet in the side saddlebag (the right side saddlebag is a little larger), or in the frunk.

Cruzr Joe

I'm in the 3/32" cable club, shielded with heat shrink tubing and crimped with a ferrule and stop set. Cut a slit in a small piece of chamois, put the slit over the clip and the loop of cable through the D-ring with the ferrule hooked on bottom side of the clip. Chamois protects the paint both where the helmet rests against the Tupperware and, most important, where the cable hangs down between the closed seat and Tupperware.

markyodo
01-09-2015, 08:46 PM
There is a thread started for the Kewlmetal locks.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76398-KewlMetal-Helmet-Locks

I would love to find a set of these if they still make the adapter for the RT grips.

Noral
01-10-2015, 09:33 AM
I've always used the standard helmet clip under the seat to store my helmet when I'm away from the Spyder for a short time. But recently I got a new helmet, and the D-ring side of the strap is too short to fit. A standard T-bar helmet lock extender will not work on the spyder under the seat. Anyone know of a flexible helmet lock extender that will work... perhaps made out of leather or canvas, etc.?

Go to your local police dept and get a gun safety cable they are free for the asking.Good luck. This is what I did and they work.

finless
01-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I have to say, I do LOVE my Kuryakyn grips with helmet locks on each end! No seat hassles.

Also that "hook" under the seat is plastic. I figured if someone wanted my helmet bad enough they could pull hard and bust that off?

Someone also pointed out that with the Kuryakyn helmet locks, someone could cut the strap and take off with the helmet. But pretty sure that makes the helmet unusable at that point. The person that pointed that out uses a helmet cable lock and runs it through the chin bar (full helmet) and then around the base of the handlebars. So I guess if you want to be real secure, that is the way to go.

Bob

robmorg
01-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Bob, were you able to find the adapters you needed for the hand grip locks?

nakerr
01-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I use a 6' long, very heavy, bicycle lock cable with a hardened padlock. Although it is long for just a helmet, I can tie up two at once as well it is long enough to go through the sleeve on my "expensive" riding jackets thus enabling me to leave them on the machine as well.

YMMV

finless
01-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Bob, were you able to find the adapters you needed for the hand grip locks?

I installed the Kuryakyn grips and thus bought the stock Kuryakyn helmet locks that go on them. No adapters needed.

Way back I had seen the adapters for the stock RT grips to enable mounting of the Kuryakyn helmet locks. But I did not like the color mismatch and the Kuryakyn helmet locks don't come in black. Had they, I would have kept the stock grips and gone that way.

Bob

Gray Ghost
01-10-2015, 10:57 AM
They won't keep someone from taking the helmets but for hooking the helmets to the OEM clips we use some straps from Camco for securing awnings on RVs. (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42503-12-Awning-Straps/dp/B000EDOSSI) We hook the d-ring over the plastic clip and run the strap through the helmet d-ring.

Buggy
01-10-2015, 11:10 AM

I bought one of these as well and second that it is great. intrusive and bike safe, ie no marring.

Mr. Bill
01-10-2015, 11:16 AM

What I found that works to lock the helmets and leave them on the seats was a "cable luggage lock" . Google it or check with your local luggage shop. The TSA cable locks sell for about $8.00. Leaving the helmets on the seat does not mark up the side panels and keeps people off your Spyder while you are away from it. I run the cable thru the rear hand grips and thru the ring on the helmet strap ring. Works for me and I don't find boot marks on my saddle bags or anyone sitting on my Spyder when I return.

100743TSA Cable luggage lock.

MRH
01-10-2015, 11:20 AM

I saw this on somebody's Spyder once, but my concern was that the bolts holding the guardian itself on could be as easily removed as my license plate in a minute or two. Did I miss something about how it actually attaches to the Spyder?

Marker
01-10-2015, 12:23 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32569-KewlMetal-Helmet-Locks
I bought these helmet locks from KewlMetal . Helmet locks made for the bar ends of the RT. I love them they work great . I bought the two and they came keyed alike for convenience. Here is the link on spyderlovers for the thread.
Read what others say about them

I found my shipping invoice and the part#526 helmet lock with adaptor I just bought these Feb 2013

finless
01-10-2015, 01:41 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32569-KewlMetal-Helmet-Locks
I bought these helmet locks from KewlMetal . Helmet locks made for the bar ends of the RT. I love them they work great . I bought the two and they came keyed alike for convenience. Here is the link on spyderlovers for the thread.
Read what others say about them

I found my shipping invoice and the part#526 helmet lock with adaptor I just bought these Feb 2013

You cannot get those anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

The guy that made them no longer is part of KewlMetal and now makes specialty grip end helmet locks per the other thread discussion from today.

Bob

robmorg
01-10-2015, 02:14 PM
I use a 6' long, very heavy, bicycle lock cable with a hardened padlock. Although it is long for just a helmet, I can tie up two at once as well it is long enough to go through the sleeve on my "expensive" riding jackets thus enabling me to leave them on the machine as well.

YMMVEarlier in this thread I had said that I just picked up this coiled cable on Amazon. It was inexpensive, and at only 4.5 inches long, easy to store. Yet it expands to 6 feet. I'm thinking it may come in handy once in a while, like to briefly secure my jacket and/or other gear on the seat while on a road trip when the luggage compartments are full.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rjui518kL._AA160_.jpg

Marker
01-10-2015, 02:30 PM
You cannot get those anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

The guy that made them no longer is part of KewlMetal and now makes specialty grip end helmet locks per the other thread discussion from today.

Bob

Did not realize this ,Thanks
I really like the locks , and they work well.
Just read the other post and here is the link for the new helmet locks that Lamont discussed in his post http://lidlox.com/

Deanna777
01-10-2015, 02:42 PM

Cruzr JoeI agree, I would do the same thing. It is safer, and under lock/key. Deanna

robmorg
01-11-2015, 12:14 AM
You cannot get [the KewlMetal grip locks] anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

Bob

BUT... As the other thread progressed further, Lamont posted a link for the new company, started by "Matt", the guy who used to make these for KewlMetal. And they are even better now. They now fit right on the Spyder grips without the need for an adaptor. These things are cool!

So... While I sincerely want to thank everyone who posted in this thread giving me great options for extenders to work with the under-seat helmet clips, I have decided to go with these hand grip locks from Lidlox (http://lidlox.com/t/spyder). And Joe, no chance of scratching up the side of the Spyder with these locks. ;)

Here's a picture showing what they look like...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EZ_GNCzreFU/VLIGC0Cd_xI/AAAAAAAAASo/wXwSomMad1s/w450-h300-no/lidlox_spyder.jpg

Bfromla
01-11-2015, 03:28 AM
Redneck way flexible cable gun lock & or kiddie bike lock. Like $5most stores will fit thu the D rings, most are long enough to loop wherever u wanna try, G'luck[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vided
01-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Here's a picture showing what they look like...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EZ_GNCzreFU/VLIGC0Cd_xI/AAAAAAAAASo/wXwSomMad1s/w450-h300-no/lidlox_spyder.jpg[/QUOTE]

makes a perfect place for AH'S to throw their garbage.
and how would i know this :banghead::banghead:

finless
01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
makes a perfect place for AH'S to throw their garbage.
and how would i know this :banghead::banghead:

That is why when I lock mine up to that style helmet lock, I put the helmet bag that came with my helmet around it thus closing it off.

I also remove my Sena SMH5-FM unit. It slides right off.

Bob

robmorg
01-11-2015, 11:14 AM
It DOES look sorta like a waste basket hanging there, doesn't it. :sour: Helmet bag is a good idea, and not hard to store. Thanks. :thumbup:

My other problem is that NOW, I gotta find my black grip ends. I bought the silver ones when I purchased the Spyder. I know I kept the black ones, but finding where I put them may be a problem. http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-confused-smileys-718.gif

finless
01-11-2015, 11:51 AM
It DOES look sorta like a waste basket hanging there, doesn't it. :sour: Helmet bag is a good idea, and not hard to store. Thanks. :thumbup:

My other problem is that NOW, I gotta find my black grip ends. I bought the silver ones when I purchased the Spyder. I know I kept the black ones, but finding where I put them may be a problem. http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-confused-smileys-718.gif

If you cannot find them let me know and I will send you my old ones in trade for the chrome.

Bob

robmorg
01-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Just found them. When I installed the chrome caps 16 months ago, I took the black ones and taped them to the card the chrome ones came on, along with the screws, then filed them in my "Spyder parts box". I'm rather proud of myself for doing that. Had no idea I was that organized. ;)