PDA

View Full Version : leaning a spyder

mobile039
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Hello, my name is mobile039, i am new to this site and have found a very uniqe bike within the BRP Spyder.

In saying that, i do not currently own my own but have ridden them a few times from dealers hear in Australia. And would love one myself but do not have the money for one at this time. The reason i start this chat is to gain expressions of interest into the posibilty of having the Spyder lean like a 2 wheeler ( not to the degree that they do of course ). Maybe 20 degrees.

I have started plans for the new front suspention system that would be used to achive this goal, but still have some work to do on it, I beleive that doing this modification will make the Spyder alot more fun to ride and alot safer aswell, as it will give you alot more control in cornering and obstical afoidence at higher speeds. This concept has been thought of on the MP3 from Piaggio, but there front wheels are side by side, not spaced apart like the Spyder's. I ask for these expressions so that I can contact BRP and show them the concept and the facts that people around the world like the idea, all input that you all have will be read and included in my studies and designs for this system.

So please answer my post so that we can inprove on a already very nice bike.

Thank you for your time and input into this idea. :chat:

:spyder: Spyder lover of Australia mobile039 :spyder:

NancysToy
10-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I personally like the Spyder the way it is. It is stable, and loaded with safety features and systems. I would point out that it already has traction problems which would be multiplied by the round tires necessary on a "leaner". If my wife and I had wanted a machine that leaned, we probably would have waited for a Concept One...or just ridden one of our motorcycles.
-Scotty

Director
10-31-2008, 08:15 AM
I personally like the Spyder the way it is. It is stable, and loaded with safety features and systems. I would point out that it already has traction problems which would be multiplied by the round tires necessary on a "leaner". If my wife and I had wanted a machine that leaned, we probably would have waited for a Concept One...or just ridden one of our motorcycles.
-Scotty
:agree: 100%. I have ridden conventional two-wheeled motorcycles for nearly forty years, and the Spyder is simply a different riding experience. I have adapted to the way it handles, including the non-lean, and I really enjoy it. Moreover, as Scotty has pointed out, if the Spyder was to lean over, it would necessitate an entirely different tire profile.

If it ain't broke, well, you know the rest...

Regards,

Bruce

frleo
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Whille I admire entrepreneur spirit, I would leave the spYder just as it is now. I like it. The market is awash in "leaner" bikes.
---leo---

DragonSpyder
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
I am all for anything that makes the Spyder handle better. There are certainly many obstacles to achieving a leaning Spyder but I wish you all the luck in getting it done.

I have also thought if you could attach a heavy enough weight to the power steering as you turn the weight could slide towards the inside tire. I'm surprised nothing like this has already been done.

effgjamis
10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Very interesting, but for me, I bought the :spyder:the way it is. As for safety, best check out the BRP web site for complete safety considerations.

Thanks for the thinking for improvement, don't stop there, keep on thinking.

johnboyjohn.pretious
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Dont like pouring cold water on onyone, but before spending time and money on the project, look at the (hate to say it ) harley davison site as they have a patent on there which may preclude your ideas. ( just trying to save your efforts ):mad:

GA-SPYDER
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
My thought to increasing the lean angle.
What about the advantage/ disadvantage of two wheels leaning on the front and a vertical wheel in the back? I think there would be some things working against each other. Ride height in the front verses the back and so on?:dontknow:

tatt2r
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
would making it lean. Cause steering controle to kick in causeing engine torque to drop .I've takin off ramps at 60 how much better could it get ?

Lamonster
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I ask for these expressions so that I can contact BRP and show them the concept and the facts that people around the world like the idea, all input that you all have will be read and included in my studies and designs for this system.

I dare say that every demo they do on the Spyder someone reaches for a hand brake that's not there.:dontknow: If they won't add something as simple as a hand brake to the Spyder you have no chance in getting them to build a Spyder that leans even if all of us thought is was a great idea. :sour:

Oh and welcome

tatt2r
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
and not to rain on anyones parade but this bike was designed by people who know there stuff ...if it was supposed to lean it would have ... that and contacting brp and asking them to change something ?good luck...we all still have squeeky brakes .... it would be easier to call the pope and ask him to change his religion....

The_Spyderwoman
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
:popcorn:

welcome

what else ya got?

GeminiJane
10-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Thought I would love a three-wheeler that leaned better than the Spyder. But that was before I rode the Spyder. I still have my two wheelers but love the different ride that the Spyder provides. I can see a "leaning" three wheeler in my future - but it would be a supplement, not a replacement for the Spyder. I wouldn't give up on your ideas, though; I think we're going to see more and more leaning 3-wheelers and each manufacturer will approach it with a bit different concept, just as the two wheel market has hundreds of bikes to choose from. Just be sure to protect your ideas - many innovative people have lost out by sharing non-copyrighted concepts with developers.

REDRICH05
10-31-2008, 11:39 PM
GREETINGS FROM THE U.S.A. TO AUSSIE LAND.thats like disneyland, but with wombats & roos... welcome spyder lover & your great ideas!!! rich

bone crusher
11-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Trust me on this one...if you're on a highway moving at fast speeds, and you're in 40-60 mph winds, you will need to hold on and lean a little...(depending on which way you're getting blown around)

I also lean into turns off of ramps from the highway...it may not be 100% necessary, but moving your weight to go along with the bike certainly makes the ride more comfortable...

Greg H.
11-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Trust me on this one...if you're on a highway moving at fast speeds, and you're in 40-60 mph winds, you will need to hold on and lean a little...(depending on which way you're getting blown around)

I also lean into turns off of ramps from the highway...it may not be 100% necessary, but moving your weight to go along with the bike certainly makes the ride more comfortable...

Of course. It's natural. It's the same if your riding a snowmobile, Jet Ski, ATV. And, I suppose it's more natural and adaptable for someone who hasn't been on a bike in years, like myself. Same goes for the the handbrake. It never really crossed my mind. 'Don't need it.

bone crusher
11-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Greg,

The spyder is a snowmobile! :D

Greg H.
11-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Greg,

The spyder is a snowmobile! :D

:2thumbs: you know.... that is probably the best way to describe it to someone, isn't it? :thumbup:

FANG
11-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I like the :spyder: just the way it is. You don't need to fix what's not broken. Corners just fine in fact I get load of comments on how well it corners from people who stop and want to talk about the:spyder:.

Don't see where brp will consider :chat: with you on this matter.

By the way welcome .

bone crusher
11-02-2008, 06:09 PM
When trying to come out of a stop sign going up a rather steep hill the other day, the bike's rear tire spun and screeched!

I was accelerating pretty quickly, so I thought this might happen...

The bike held the ground, did not spin, regained traction, and handled nicely...

The VSC system is quite helpful!

trikester
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
When people look at my Spyder and ask; "what is it"? I tell them it's a snowmobile with wheels. They always understand that description and they stop thinking of it as a motorcycle with an extra wheel.

Of course if you look at my profile photo you can see I had gotten used to these questions even before I owned a Spyder. The only difference is that I tell them my dual-sport trikes are jeeps that are missing a wheel. :)