PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 2014 Rt to F3 performance

Lucky Luke
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Great forums and lots of knowledgeable people here so here is my question. I was wondering if anybody asked yet what would it take to have the performance of the new F3. Rear sprocket? Fuel mapping? Whatever changes Brp did to the F3 get it to perform like it does. Can a dealer go in with their scan tool and set the same perimeters on the Rt ? I know the rear sprocket for sure but just wondering what else they did?

den1953
01-08-2015, 07:29 AM
I think it's been said that swapping the rear sprocket will upset the nanny. This makes sense as changing the tire diameter too much will upset the control system. I would tend to think enhancements to the intake, exhaust and fuel mixture would increase horsepower enough for most people.

blacklightning
01-08-2015, 08:53 AM
I think the biggest difference in performance is due to the weight difference, and then the aerodinamics (sorry for the spelling). 115 hp is nothing to laugh at, but not really anything to brag about either when you are talking about the kind of weight that either one of these things are toting. I will be glad to see a 1/4 mile time on either. I would think the 0-60mph time is good (I love how my RT comes off the line), but after around 75 mph, it runs out of breath compared to most of the 2 wheelers that I used to ride. As for me, I have come to accept that, and just will pick up me another 2 wheeler when the need for true speed arrives. Or drive my mustang or lightning:yes:.

Woodsrider
01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Keep the RT stock, buy a 'Busa. The F3 test drive was okay but it's really just an incremental upgrade in the straight-line (cornering was very solid though). For power though you can't beat the power to weight of the sport bikes, we're talking acceleration that makes it hard to breathe and lifting the front wheel whenever you want to.

The Busa won't take up that much room so you can fit it in the garage next to the :spyder2:

Highwayman2013
01-26-2015, 04:07 PM
I think the biggest difference in performance is due to the weight difference, and then the aerodinamics (sorry for the spelling). 115 hp is nothing to laugh at, but not really anything to brag about either when you are talking about the kind of weight that either one of these things are toting. I will be glad to see a 1/4 mile time on either. I would think the 0-60mph time is good (I love how my RT comes off the line), but after around 75 mph, it runs out of breath compared to most of the 2 wheelers that I used to ride. As for me, I have come to accept that, and just will pick up me another 2 wheeler when the need for true speed arrives. Or drive my mustang or lightning:yes:.The RTs with the 1330s didn't seem to run out of breath on Las Vegas Motor Speedway last night as some were reporting 96 mph on the straits. During the Laps for Charity event.

garb55
01-26-2015, 04:10 PM
I think it's been said that swapping the rear sprocket will upset the nanny. This makes sense as changing the tire diameter too much will upset the control system. I would tend to think enhancements to the intake, exhaust and fuel mixture would increase horsepower enough for most people.

A bigger tire will upset the nanny because the sensor on the wheel will be turning at a different rpm than the other wheels
A bigger sprocket will only change the RPMs the engine is turning at a given speed. Same as shifting to a lower gear. The nanny will not care.
The larger sprocket will give you quicker take off from stopped in low gear the rest of the time you can get the same by shifting down.
Don

jcthorne
01-26-2015, 04:13 PM

There has been speculation that changing the rear sprocket will upset the nanny.

There is also good reason to think it will not. At least on 2013 and older. The speed sensor is on the hub and while it is effected by tire diameter, it would not be effected by rear sprocket diameter. There is no good reason for the nanny to calculate rear wheel revolutions vs engine revolutions for each gear ratio. And, as in most automotive applications, a change of rear end ratio has little effect on the controls or ABS system.

Until someone actually tries this and reports problems, don't assume a rear sprocket change is not possible on 2013 and older RTs.

Highwayman2013
01-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Some one will try it and then we will know. I have a slightly taller tire (215/60/15) that has corrected my speedo and has shown no nanny problems in 7,000 miles.

DJFaninTN
01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
The RTs with the 1330s didn't seem to run out of breath on Las Vegas Motor Speedway last night as some were reporting 96 mph on the straits. During the Laps for Charity event.

I'll bet that was a load of fun! :thumbup: