PDA

View Full Version : DRIVE BELT - HELP

SPYD3R
01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
YIKES..... :gaah: :banghead: :yikes:
checked my drive-belt just the other day and it was in excellent condition....
today i was out for a little ride, and BANG... all of a sudden, there's a ton of gray stones all over the road... at 50 mph and with a car in front of me, i never saw it coming..... CLINK, CLANK, CLUNK coming from the underside of me SPYD3R..... then i thought i had a flat tire, so i pulled over... NO FLATS... so i headed home.... once home, i checked and a section of the belt about 10 inches long was missing all it's teeth... also, some teeth missing in other areas...

Question: does anyone have the Part Number for the 2009 RS/SE5...? and, does anyone know if GATES or other companies make a replacement... and, does anyone have the belt SIZE: length/width...?
THANKS in advance...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

ARtraveler
01-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Ouch! Can't give you the technical information that you are asking but will say glad the belt did not break and leave you stranded.

I have replaced two belts so far, both happened due to rocks. One cracked the belt and the other incident broke the belt.

Chupaca
01-06-2015, 08:06 PM
have found the on ebay a a good price. You can go to cheapcycleparts.com and get the price (also much better than dealer) and part numbers. If I ever figure out why I can't copy and paste I will be able to link for folks...:banghead:

SPYD3R
01-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Ouch! Can't give you the technical information that you are asking but will say glad the belt did not break and leave you stranded.

I have replaced two belts so far, both happened due to rocks. One cracked the belt and the other incident broke the belt.

YUP.....
just last week we were talking about belts when i told you i was going X-country, and i told you mine was fine.... so much for that huh....
i'm finding some on the net, but if i had the 'spec' of length and width, i could find if other companies make a replacement....
Dan

Chupaca
01-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Ebay has one for $179.00 that will fit your spyder...:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Ebay has one for $179.00 that will fit your spyder...:thumbup:

LINK Chu.... send me the LINK...

Roadster Renovations
01-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Carefully inspect the sprocket pockets, especially the back one. I caught and lodged a rock in there and didn't find it until I replaced the tire. Since there had also been some tar on the road it had glued in there and I had to pick it out with my pocket knife. I caught it quick enough to not hurt the belt, but it could have at any point.

Highwayman2013
01-06-2015, 09:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-SPYDER-DRIVE-BELT-OEM-705500861-/181630611653?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4a0730c5&vxp=mtrThis one is a little more.

oldgoat
01-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I bought one from this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAN-AM-SPYDER-ROADSTER-OEM-DRIVE-BELT-OEM-GS-RS-RT-LIMITED-SM5-SE5-/371216303639?hash=item566e374617&vxp=mtr

It was only $139 a few months ago.. Fitted just fine & had Can-am/BRP logos & numbers on it.

Jed_S
01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Dan, I have one from a 2013 RSS you can have...only has about 900 mi on it. I bought a rear tire assembly from a guy and he threw in the belt.

Jed_S
01-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I have a sprocket, too, if you need it. Not sure if it's the same as the 2009, though.

Highwayman2013
01-06-2015, 09:39 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAN-AM-SPYDER-ROADSTER-OEM-DRIVE-BELT-OEM-GS-RS-RT-LIMITED-SM5-SE5-/371216303639?hash=item566e374617&vxp=mtr

Jed_S
01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Part numbers aren't the same between the 2009 and 2013 for either part so I don't know if they will work. You can stop by and check if you want to. The are both in my garage.

Jed_S
01-06-2015, 09:58 PM
today i was out for a little ride, and BANG... all of a sudden, there's a ton of gray stones all over the road... at 50 mph and with a car in front of me, i never saw it coming..... CLINK, CLANK, CLUNK coming from the underside of me SPYD3R..... then i thought i had a flat tire, so i pulled over... NO FLATS... so i headed home.... once home, i checked and a section of the belt about 10 inches long was missing all it's teeth... also, some teeth missing in other areas...

Question: does anyone have the Part Number for the 2009 RS/SE5...? and, does anyone know if GATES or other companies make a replacement... and, does anyone have the belt SIZE: length/width...?
THANKS in advance...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R
Dan,

The one I have should fit your Spyder. You can have it.

Jed

MikeinGA
01-06-2015, 10:33 PM

THANKS in advance...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Dan did you get another belt? Make sure the that the sprockets have no damage and the bearings in the axel are ok. There was a guy that just replaced his belt and his sprockets were damaged and it damaged the belt again. How many miles do you have on the belt? Let me know if you need anything my friend.

Mike

fispyder
01-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Dan, looks like you have a belt and the people on spyderlovers you can't go wrong when it comes to helping out.

SPYD3R
01-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Dan,

The one I have should fit your Spyder. You can have it.

Jed

JED;
IF YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU WON'T NEED IT, THEN I'LL TAKE IT...
YOU ARE AWESOME...
DAN