PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Gas Mileage

jodeg1945
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I've only had my Spyder (named TRIPOD) since Oct. 11 and have about 400 miles on HIM.

We figured the gas mileage today and it came out to 32.7 mpg.

Is this good, back or ugly??? :dontknow:

Thanks!

zzneonzz
10-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I've had mine since July 28th and have about 4400 miles on it. I average 31mpg around town and 38mpg on highway trips

Roaddog2
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats about right :yikes:

bjt
10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Sounds about right. Thats probably close to the average Spyder MPG. I get real close to 30 MPG in strictly city riding. A little better if I am on the expressway and keep my speed in check. :D

spyryder
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
:popcorn:

hawkiii
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Picked up the Spyder Oct 13th. Have a little over 950 miles and haven't bothered to check the gas mileage yet. Don't really care, I'm having a blast. Today is the first day I haven't riden. It's raining :(

ataDude
10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Regular or Premium?.......http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/mini-wink-glasses.gif

You dog. :thumbup:

bone crusher
10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Mileage is tricky on these critters!

You have to really fill the tank up all the way...until there is a half bar on the gauge...it's better to then test it...

I thought I was sitting around 25 mpg but I learned here to pull the hose out a bit and really fill it up...and to do this each time...it allows for about another gallon of gas...and a big change in mileage...

I'm hoping to get 30 mpg...more than that will be a bonus...

jodeg1945
10-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks, everyone. Guess I'm doing okay. My husband has a Harley, and he says we're riding for fun, not MPG!!! That's probably true, but I was just wondering!

markusj
10-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Well a barrel of oil is now below $70-. Economist said it was going to be $150-. 401k down %50? Driving a SPYDER --- $ PRICELESS $:cheers:

***** for change? Thats all we'll have left in our pockets! :barf:

SpyderMark
10-31-2008, 07:23 AM
My husband has a Harley, and he says we're riding for fun, not MPG!!!

A very wise man indeed...

Regards,

Mark

AMTJIM
10-31-2008, 07:41 AM
A smaller rear sprocket and 91....make it 92 octane, that's the ticket.

retread
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
It seems funy to me, but when I started changing my own oil, with the BRP stuff, not whatever the dealer had on hand, my mileage went from 30 to 35.

aubierules
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Mileage is tricky on these critters!

You have to really fill the tank up all the way...until there is a half bar on the gauge...it's better to then test it...

I thought I was sitting around 25 mpg but I learned here to pull the hose out a bit and really fill it up...and to do this each time...it allows for about another gallon of gas...and a big change in mileage...

I'm hoping to get 30 mpg...more than that will be a bonus...

i think ur mixing up miles per gallon with miles per tank.... it doesnt matter if u have 1 gallon or 100 gallons of gas.....the mpg is not affected by tank size. now how many miles u go b4 u have to fill up is a different story.

The_Spyderwoman
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
5500 miles avg. 33mpg
:doorag:

The_Spyderwoman
10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
JUST FILLED UP!! WENT 156.7 AND PUT IN 4.67 GALLONS. That's 33.5 mpg - city.:clap:

4leafpat
10-31-2008, 06:21 PM
I have almost 2000 miles and have been averaging 33 mpg, mixed driving.

Roaddog2
10-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Regular or Premium?.......http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/mini-wink-glasses.gifRegular beacause I'm cheap

bone crusher
11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Aubierules...you're not exactly correct on that...

If I don't fill up the tank and each time I'm off a decent amount when I refill, then that could make a rather large difference in my mpg...

It' not like the hose clicks off at the same point each time...the strange configuration of the tank has it such that you need to pull the hose out a nice bit to get it to fill up.

If you compute your mileage based on a missing gallon, you're gonna be off...now, if I filled it to the same point each time, then you're 100% right as the starting point is always the same...however, this is not the case as different stations have hoses that cut off at different points...

The best thing to do is to make sure you're filling up all the way and use that as a starting point each time when checking your mileage...

Either way, I'm hoping to get to the 35 mark!

NancysToy
11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
If you stop filling at the nozzle click, or put in less than a full tank of fuel in any way, your computed mileage will be more than it really is. In the long run, if you fill similarly every time, it will average out, and you will have a fairly accurate number, but not for a single fill. Best bet for calculating mileage is to try to fill the same way every time, and average several calculations. This is especially true with a small fuel tank. Less error in 15-25 gallons in your car tank than 5-6 gallons in your Spyder. We have seen as much as 39 mpg, and as little as 23. Average seems to be about 28-30.
-Scotty

Greg H.
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
About 2,800 miles in the first 5 weeks. My best milege has been 33 mpg. My lowest has been about 30 mpg.

jedd
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
:2thumbs::agree:
You dog. :thumbup:

red
11-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Excuse me but what the H..l are use guys doing? The ONLY way to get a true average mpg is to note your mileage after a fill-up,then run several tanks thru it (3 4 5 the more gallons the better) noting each time the number of gallons purchased then divide the total number of gallons into the total number of miles. That is how you get an average mpg. Anything else is worthless. My sister in-law thinks her Ford Explorer gets better mileage than my Wife's Honda Civic because she can go father between fill-ups so go figure... just please don't run out of gas.

mrfilovirus
11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I usually get about 32 - 35, but on our trip to valley of fire, I had it up to 41. I am not sure what was different...

REDSPYDER08
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Look like the spyder may have compitetion now Has anyone else heard of the BMW GG Quad if not here is the web site WWW.GG-Quad-northamerica.com (http://www.GG-Quad-northamerica.com) here is some pictures.

bone crusher
11-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Took a nice 125 mile ride today...filled up to the tippy top like I have been doing...5 gallons and 130 miles...

I can't get this thing above 26 mpg...this stinks...

Greg H.
11-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Look like the spyder may have compitetion now Has anyone else heard of the BMW GG Quad if not here is the web site WWW.GG-Quad-northamerica.com (http://www.GG-Quad-northamerica.com) here is some pictures.

I saw that online. At the price ($56,000++++), they'll be asking, I wouldn't call that competition for the Spyder. The T-Rex, perhaps; but not the Spyder.

Then, of course, there's the Tri-Rod. Hey! Anyone got a spare $50,000-$60,000 I can have??!!

At this time, for the $$$, there is no competition for the Can-Am Spyder.

spyderjack
11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
gas mileage was 30-33 mpg but I now am getting 34-36 after 7000 miles:2thumbs:

ataDude
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM

You won't see it in the US. If it has four wheels, and for the road, it is an automobile... and has to meet all of the safety specs of the US for a car.

chasbadger
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
From what I know it dosn't make any difference what amount of fuel it takes to fill your tank, you take the amount of miles and devide by the amount of fuel you purchased. if you take 4 gallons of fuel and drive 150 miles it's 37.5 miles to the gallon. makes no difference how much fuel is in the tank when you start as long as it's at least 4 gollons or more for this equasion. that's why brp gave you 2 trip gages 1 for a day at a time and the second for the whole trip.

vnmous1
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I've only had my Spyder (named TRIPOD) since Oct. 11 and have about 400 miles on HIM.

We figured the gas mileage today and it came out to 32.7 mpg.

Is this good, back or ugly??? :dontknow:

Thanks!

Just talking about you today. We'll have to hook up and see what you've done for a pulsing tail light (because I'm sure you have!!)

I got about 30 on the way home from Detroit when I picked it up. Now about 25-27 in town and blasting around with it. 35 on the road at about 70mph.

Be well.

bj & tiffany

Diggittt
11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
You won't see it in the US. If it has four wheels, and for the road, it is an automobile... and has to meet all of the safety specs of the US for a car.

I think i posted here back in around march when I had one pull up in the lane next to me here in Bakersfield, Calif. all street legal...haven't seen it or another one since....

Diggittt

jodeg1945
11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
BJ - I sent you a PM.

aubierules
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Excuse me but what the H..l are use guys doing? The ONLY way to get a true average mpg is to note your mileage after a fill-up,then run several tanks thru it (3 4 5 the more gallons the better) noting each time the number of gallons purchased then divide the total number of gallons into the total number of miles. That is how you get an average mpg. Anything else is worthless. My sister in-law thinks her Ford Explorer gets better mileage than my Wife's Honda Civic because she can go father between fill-ups so go figure... just please don't run out of gas.

i agree..

aubierules
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
From what I know it dosn't make any difference what amount of fuel it takes to fill your tank, you take the amount of miles and devide by the amount of fuel you purchased. if you take 4 gallons of fuel and drive 150 miles it's 37.5 miles to the gallon. makes no difference how much fuel is in the tank when you start as long as it's at least 4 gollons or more for this equasion. that's why brp gave you 2 trip gages 1 for a day at a time and the second for the whole trip.

again agreed:)

aubierules
11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Aubierules...you're not exactly correct on that...

If I don't fill up the tank and each time I'm off a decent amount when I refill, then that could make a rather large difference in my mpg...

It' not like the hose clicks off at the same point each time...the strange configuration of the tank has it such that you need to pull the hose out a nice bit to get it to fill up.

If you compute your mileage based on a missing gallon, you're gonna be off...now, if I filled it to the same point each time, then you're 100% right as the starting point is always the same...however, this is not the case as different stations have hoses that cut off at different points...

The best thing to do is to make sure you're filling up all the way and use that as a starting point each time when checking your mileage...

Either way, I'm hoping to get to the 35 mark!

if you start by filling up with 4 gallons.....then you drive around till ur light comes on...and fill up with 4 gallons and then use your miles traveled to divide into...you get mpg... the key is that you fill the tank up the same amount each time....what i was saying was that if u start with 4, or 100 gallons of gas, then at next fill fill back up the same amount. it wont make a difference in mpg

barb36jack31
11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Was getting around the 33 MPG range when my state (Florida) went to 10% ethanol in all the gas. MPG dropped 2 MPG at that point. Am getting 31 MPG now on 87 octane. I envy you folks that are getting 36-38 MPG. Still, riding the Spyder is a ton of fun and I am having a ball!!

61 years of bike riding (age 77) and this machine is the most fun ever.

Jack H.

BeRight
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
61 years of bike riding (age 77) and this machine is the most fun ever.

Jack H.

O'K barb36 plus jack31 only equals 67. How do you get 77:dontknow::D

jodeg1945
11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I think the Jack31 is the YEAR he was born, not his age!!! lol!!

bone crusher
11-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I can't even get 30 mpg on mine...what's up with that?

ld271
11-13-2008, 12:34 AM
50 to 60 grand for that have thay fell on the head there is no way i,d pay for that i could buy a fleet of spyders for that and have them all custom painted and still have money left over. As far the mpg gose i have found that if you ride fast and over tha speed limit or keeping up with traffic watch your RPM,S i found that anything over 6000 rpms you might not get the greatest mpg,s but its hard to do that i find myself going way over the limit not looking down at the speedo this bike like to run at any RPM so anyway you be the judge ride safe all :bowdown:

bone crusher
11-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't ride fast...I keep the bike in the highest gear possible so as to keep the RPMs low...

I cannot figure out how I can't even get 30 mpg and everyone else is getting in the mid-30s...

I think I have a nice combo of highway/city driving, but even still, I had 130 miles on 5 gallons...

Strange!

NancysToy
11-13-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't ride fast...I keep the bike in the highest gear possible so as to keep the RPMs low...

I cannot figure out how I can't even get 30 mpg and everyone else is getting in the mid-30s...

I think I have a nice combo of highway/city driving, but even still, I had 130 miles on 5 gallons...

Strange!
Like Jack said, I think it has a lot to do with the gas sold in your particular area. Also depends on the time of year, as gas is normally reformulated for each season...at least here in the North. I find it depends a lot on the rider, too. I'm certainly not what you would call an aggressive rider, but I like a little kick in the pants as I leave a light. My wife slowly works up to traffic speeds, and gets noticeably better mileage. Finally, I believe that different Spyders show significant differences in mileage. We see 28-32 most of the time (depending on who is riding), while some others here in Michigan get more, even with big windshields. It has to be the machine itself.
-Scotty

angusmac
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone! Congratulations to those of you getting over 30mpg! I am still in the break-in stage of my SE5 with a little over 200 miles. First time I checked the mileage I got 28, the next time I got 29. As yet, I still have the factory grips and no risers installed, and I believe once those two issues are addressed, fuel control, and mileage will improve. I have added an F1 Slider windshield which makes a lot of difference for me personally, but I think I am going to contact Marcel to swap it for the regular Evolution III shield. The slider works well, but I do not like the fact I can not see through the bottom part of the shield for a visual reference as to how close the nose of the spyder really is to objects in front such as pulling into the curb when parking, behind other cars in traffic, etc. Just a personal preference.
Rory MacDonell

Putt-Putt
11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
My all time high gas mileage is 42. I've had several 37 to 38. But I would say my average is 35 to 36. And it doesn't seem to matter solo or double riding. The wind is what makes the big difference. Will drop about 3 to 3.5 mpg if there is a head wind.

Greg H.
11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
33mpg is still my best w/3,300 miles. :)

BeRight
11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I think the Jack31 is the YEAR he was born, not his age!!! lol!!

Yeah I know-yet again my attempt a humor fails:opps:

BeRight
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I haven't checked my gas mileage - doesn't matter, not much one can do anything about anyway.

Maryland gas mix includes ethanol (50% less efficient than gasoline) plus other stuff in it that decreases mileage.

I don't plan changing my riding habits-I like to accelerate in a timely and responsible manner (OK maybe as fast as possible) for fun and to get away from the cagers whenever possible - for at least a little while.:D

Director
11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I saw that online. At the price ($56,000++++), they'll be asking, I wouldn't call that competition for the Spyder. The T-Rex, perhaps; but not the Spyder.

Then, of course, there's the Tri-Rod. Hey! Anyone got a spare $50,000-$60,000 I can have??!!

At this time, for the $$$, there is no competition for the Can-Am Spyder.

:agree: The other consideration is that these machines will not be road-legal in all jurisdictions. In my province - Ontario, a four-wheeled road vehicle is considered an automobile, and therefore must meet all the same safety standards as any other car (crumple zones, seat belts, air bags, etc.) It took BRP a while to have Ontario declare the Spyder a motorcycle, and it only did so because it fits within the strict definition contained in the Highway Traffic Act (no more than three wheels, driver/passenger tandem seating, handlebars.) I can't see this government cutting BMW any slack on their quad. The T-Rex cannot be licensed in Ontario either, even though it is a three-wheeler, because it has automotive characteristics, including a steering wheel and side by side seating for the driver and passenger.
With the move toward alternative transportation modes, this may change in the future, but right now the rules are pretty restrictive.

Bruce

Star Cruiser
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
33mpg is still my best w/3,300 miles. :)

I have an average of 35mpg on just over 3,000km. Best was 40mpg - all highway @ about 120km/hr (~75mph)

SE5spyder
11-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I really hope I do better...still in break in. 520miles. filled up with 4.990 gallons with only 95.1 miles. Please tell me it only gets better. Do not even drive it hard. City driving in Fl.

NancysToy
11-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I really hope I do better...still in break in. 520miles. filled up with 4.990 gallons with only 95.1 miles. Please tell me it only gets better. Do not even drive it hard. City driving in Fl.
Less than 20 is the very worst I have heard, although few SE5 riders have reported specifically. Our mileage did improve a bit over time, but not drastically. Let's hope things look up for you. If you continue to get less than 20 mpg, you might want to check with your dealer.
-Scotty

Motza
11-16-2008, 12:30 AM

TRY THIS OUT FOR COMPETETION @ $25000 www.brudelitech.com (http://www.brudelitech.com) or www.trickedoutcycle.com (http://www.trickedoutcycle.com)